Need some quick Cop advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick Cop advice

Detectorist
10-04-2011, 20:41
About 3 weeks ago, my neighbor, who is a disabled Marine Viet nam Vet, was beat up by two kids known to him. They got drunk and then started beating on him without any provocation.

My neighbor is only like 5'3" and 120Lbs. I saw the bruising, but back then, he wouldn't tell me what happened. I guess he was embarrassed. He doesn't even have a phone.

His landlord let one of the punks stay in the same trailer, knowing full well, that the kid was trouble. He has had a lot of run ins with the Cops.

Apparently the landlord said he was going to take care of it, but didn't. I frequently see one of the punks in the area and he acts like nothing happened. It's taking all my strength to not do something.

Can this assault still be reported by the victim?

Sam Spade
10-04-2011, 21:08
Yes. He's well within any statute of limitations.

Now successful prosecution may be a different problem.

Detectorist
10-04-2011, 21:53
Cool. I just talked to him and I'll be calling the Cops tomorrow. The only thing I can contribute is the fact that I saw his black eye. He can I.D. the punks by name.

scottydl
10-05-2011, 07:29
Whether or not they actually get arrested/charged would be tricky as mentioned. There's really no proof of what happened (one guy's word against another), unless there were any witnesses or the investigating officer can get one of the BG's to talk. But regardless it's still a good idea to get these mopes documented in a report, and let them become known to local LE if they're not already.

Patchman
10-05-2011, 16:21
Whether or not they actually get arrested/charged would be tricky as mentioned. There's really no proof of what happened (one guy's word against another), unless there were any witnesses or the investigating officer can get one of the BG's to talk. But regardless it's still a good idea to get these mopes documented in a report, and let them become known to local LE if they're not already.

This. And it also lets those ashwipes know someone in the community is keeping an eye on them.

For your neighbor, making that first police report is probably the hardest. But now he knows you're watching his back and he's not alone in this. Hopefully he'll decide to not be a victim any longer.

collim1
10-05-2011, 17:15
In my state he would have up to a year from the day of the crime to prosecute. In reality though the sooner the better.

It always amazes me how few people actually report crimes, and even fewer actually follow up with prosecution.

Help him out. He needs to file the report and a few days later go to the court clerks office and swear out warrants. If they are arrested and charged with the assault and they mess him up again there will be even more serious consequences, some judges might even consider it witness/victim intimidation.