Front night sight only [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Front night sight only

GlockN
10-04-2011, 22:01
Thinking about going with a front night sight while leaving the back stock (non night sight) Is anyone else doing this and will I have to adjust my POA if I do this?

jbclark187
10-04-2011, 22:06
As long as your manufacturer offers the same height as the Glock factory sight (0.165"), you should be fine. All Glocks use the same height front and different height rears for the various models.

sigchaser723
10-04-2011, 22:07
I run an Ameriglo IDot Pro front sight with a 10-8 .156 u notch rear. That gives me a blaze orange front with a night sight and a black rear, which allows me to focus solely on the front sight. The set up you suggest should work fine providing you go with a front that is the same height as a stock one. The only suggestion I would make is to replace the rear with a steel sight. While there is nothing wrong with the stock glock sight picture thei durability during hard use can be problematic.

Sonnytoo
10-04-2011, 22:44
JB and Sigchaser offer some good ideas.
Yeah, I use and suggest front-sight night-sight only. After all, that's what you're supposed to focus on...
And steel rear Glock stock sites are cheap and will last forever; can put them on with a small taphammer and a hardwood dowel.
S2

G19ftw
10-04-2011, 22:57
I have just the Glock oem night sight on my G38. Point of aim did not change after install.

Tom in Arizona
10-05-2011, 00:10
Thinking about going with a front night sight while leaving the back stock (non night sight) Is anyone else doing this and will I have to adjust my POA if I do this?
Although I do not have it on any of my pistols I have considered it an excellent idea and will probably do it in the future. The front sight height is the same on all and only the rear sight height changes on models so I believe you POI should be the same.

Warp
10-05-2011, 00:20
It isn't a bad idea.

My 3 Glocks all have full night sites but two of them are green front/yellow rear. See if you can't take a look at a setup like that. They are Ameiglo Operators. The front site stands out more at night due to the green tritium being brighter and, they say, your eyes picking it up more readily. During the day the front site should be easier to pick up because it has a white circle/outline while the rear site is simply plain black.

21Carrier
10-05-2011, 00:48
I assume you are either doing this to save money or so that the front sight stands out at night. If your reason is the latter, I would suggest looking into Warp's suggestion, or looking at the Heinie Straight Eights. I have them on a G29, and they are great. They make you focus on the front, because the tritium vial up front is larger and a good bit brighter. However, they still have a small vial in the rear so you can get perfect alignment if you need it.

If you're looking into this to save money, the above posters are correct. As long as the front sight is the same height as the Glock front sight, you will be fine. If you can't find one the same height, you could get one slightly taller, and file it down to the right height. Then just get some cold blue or sight black and cover the top part that you filed.

JBP55
10-05-2011, 02:06
Quite a few people use a front NS and a plain black rear.
The Ameriglo Pro Glo is an excellent front sight.

Tom in Arizona
10-05-2011, 07:23
I just wanted to add that I have near a dozen long guns with that tritium front and regular rear arrangements and that works just fine on those, apeature and leaf rear sights.

RYNOCG201
10-05-2011, 07:44
I have Glock front night sight on order for my G27 to use with the stock rear. I think this will be a good combination.

RYNOC