Need help finding acrylic tube... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding acrylic tube...

Jumper
10-05-2011, 10:29
I have a Hornady LNL AP with the case feeder. It comes with 2 size tubes small and large. I load 40S&W and 10mm. The small tube measure .430" ID and is just slightly too small for unsized 40 brass. Some of the cases get sqeezed by the tube and get hung up. The large tube works OK but sometimes the cases tilt a little too much and dont drop properly at the end of the tube. A 1/2" ID acryllic tube would be perfect. I've searched high and low for acrylic tube like this but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?

ammosdad
10-05-2011, 11:04
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

fredj338
10-05-2011, 11:31
google is your friend, just search, there are dozens of places. http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=141&PHPSESSID=20111005103021108988716

Colorado4Wheel
10-05-2011, 12:25
Why not just use the large tube that comes in the kit.

fredj338
10-05-2011, 13:15
Why not just use the large tube that comes in the kit.

Apperently the size tube is as the OP describes. My firend found this out on his LNL when he switched to the 40. Yet another reason the Dillon case feeder is better. I haven't heard of any issues when using the supplied filler tube.:dunno:

Shadyscott69
10-05-2011, 13:18
This is a know problem. If you call Hornady, they have an upgrade kit just for 40 S&W. They will ship it to you for free.

Phone: 1-800-338-3220

Jumper
10-05-2011, 14:40
Called hornady they're shipping out the retrofit part for .40s&w. Thanks for the tip.

I tried several Google searches but couldn't find a supplier for that tube. I checked the link that was posted and sure enough there it was. Go figure. Thanks all for the help.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

kfox
10-05-2011, 15:03
The kit for the 40 is just a smaller aluminum drop tube that you use the larger tubing on. Works great and they ship it for free as said above. The LNL when parts are needed are just a phone call away.

Called hornady they're shipping out the retrofit part for .40s&w. Thanks for the tip.

I tried several Google searches but couldn't find a supplier for that tube. I checked the link that was posted and sure enough there it was. Go figure. Thanks all for the help.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Colorado4Wheel
10-05-2011, 16:36
Apparently the size tube is as the OP describes. My friend found this out on his LNL when he switched to the 40. Yet another reason the Dillon case feeder is better. I haven't heard of any issues when using the supplied filler tube.:dunno:

So my press fed 10mm ok. It was tight though. I didn't use it much with 10mm so I don't have enough experience to know if it was going to work properly over the long haul. Interesting that Hornady doesn't just provide this part with the case feeder. I will probably get in trouble for even saying that.:upeyes:

fredj338
10-05-2011, 17:03
So my press fed 10mm ok. It was tight though. I didn't use it much with 10mm so I don't have enough experience to know if it was going to work properly over the long haul. Interesting that Hornady doesn't just provide this part with the case feeder. I will probably get in trouble for even saying that.:upeyes:

You would think huh? Part of the case feeder would be approp. sized tubes.:dunno: Nice they don;t charge you though.

Colorado4Wheel
10-05-2011, 17:08
They were always good about sending parts. They were always good about helping over the phone.

Tpro
10-05-2011, 22:12

Yes they should add it to the casefeeder and not make you call to get it. Maybe they have added it to newer casefeeders :dunno:Maybe I will wait a month or two before I order mine and let inventory drop down and they will ship it with the casefeeder.

If not, guess I'll call them and get the update.

thorn137
10-06-2011, 15:04
Just a guess: If they included the fixit parts with EVERY casefeeder shipped, it would increase the overall cost of the accessory. By providing the fix only to the people that actually need it (for example, NOT me) they keep the price/profit margin about the same.

thorn

Tpro
10-06-2011, 16:40
Just a guess: If they included the fixit parts with EVERY casefeeder shipped, it would increase the overall cost of the accessory. By providing the fix only to the people that actually need it (for example, NOT me) they keep the price/profit margin about the same.

thorn

True. But is it worth a pissed off customer (for example, ME) because I can't load using the casefeeder while waiting for them to ship me $5.00 worth of parts? That is the issue I have. Seems to me that Steve may be correct on this. Is Hornady sending out products not completely tested? I hope not. But to not send out a $5.00 part to keep the price/profit margin about the same seems shortsighted to me.

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 17:09
They mention a mix and match of parts in the instructions for the .40. I know what part they are talking about. Basically they are covering everything from .380 to .45 with two drop tubes. The middle .40 caliber gets kinda screwed. It may work (like it did for me) or it will be too tight (like for some). It's not a complicated part. This is one of those parts that on the Dillon Casefeeders is caliber specific. That is why the Dillon cost more. So yep, Thorn is right.

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 17:12
True. But is it worth a pissed off customer (for example, ME) because I can't load using the casefeeder while waiting for them to ship me $5.00 worth of parts? That is the issue I have. Seems to me that Steve may be correct on this. Is Hornady sending out products not completely tested? I hope not. But to not send out a $5.00 part to keep the price/profit margin about the same seems shortsighted to me.

Hate to say it. It's tested. They know it doesn't work for some (that is why they have the part to fix it). But you only get the part if you ask for it. There are other examples of this with the machine but I don't want to start a war (primer punch divot is another example, they have a part to fix that too).

Tpro
10-06-2011, 19:31
Hate to say it. It's tested. They know it doesn't work for some (that is why they have the part to fix it). But you only get the part if you ask for it. There are other examples of this with the machine but I don't want to start a war (primer punch divot is another example, they have a part to fix that too).

I hear about the primer punch divot but after 35,000 rounds I still don't have one. Yet.

And just for the record (since you know what part they are talking about) what do you think the cost of these might be? Not retail, but actual cost. Or retail. Because even if only 35-40% of the presses need it (not everyone loads .40/10mm...I do) it STILL does not make sense to not put the parts in the box. Unless the fix is more than $20.00 (cost) which would mean an increase in retail price to recover the cost. No way can I make the math make sense.

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 19:44
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3472.jpg

Drop tube is the part with the two curled nuts, just below the plastic tube. It's adjustable up and down with those nuts. I can't imagine that Hornady would spend much money on that part. Probably way less then the cost of the person answering the phone and then paying shipping to send it out.

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 20:22
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/152/152346.jpg

They will sell you that part, made of several machined pieces, out of quality steel. Including the lock ring. For $20. The Drop Tube is soft aluminum and not machined to the same standard.