If I have to shoot a stray dog - then what? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If I have to shoot a stray dog - then what?

Jim1970
10-05-2011, 11:28
Hello,

Long time follower, first time poster.

I live in a residential area in Wyoming and walk my 3 small dogs nightly. Recently, we have had numerous encounters with stray dogs. My city has a leash law, but some folks don't seem to care. And, leashes don't mean anything to negligent pet owners who simply let their dogs roam the streets. As you know, Wyoming just passed legislation allowing a resident who can purchase a firearm the right to carry that weapon concealed. While I just read your piece on the merits of concealed carry, I sometimes carry open as well, as do many people in Wyoming. So, with this brief bit of information, here is my question.

What am I required to do if I have to dispatch a stray or un-leased dog in a residential area - inside city limits?

Thank you,

James

Mas Ayoob
10-05-2011, 22:00
Obviously, you're not going to shoot the animal unless it attacks you or your pet. It is probably illegal to fire a gun within your city limits unless on an approved range or in an emergency. Call it in to 9-1-1 immediately, and always have a cell phone with which to do it. You never know who observed the shooting and might get the idea that you shot the animal for nothing. Cruelty to animals, malicious destruction of property, and other charges could result if you don't immediately establish that the shooting was necessary.

Cordially,
Mas

Jim1970
10-09-2011, 18:39
Thank you!