Reloading Slugs for a Tac shotty: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Slugs for a Tac shotty:

FH Alum
10-05-2011, 12:27
Put this in the shotgun thread as it is for tactical loads/shotguns. If this is posted wrong sorry:

So, I'm going to take a class end of the month that will require a LOT of ammo 1000 rounds of target, 250 slugs 100 assorted buck for pattern purposes. :wow: That's a BUNCH of $$ for slugs considering they are about $.80-$1 each give or take.

Got a smoking deal last weekend on a brand new in the box Lee load all II for $35. Buddy bought it from Cabelas and decided he does not have time or space for it. He figured it would cost him $20 in gas to return it so we both won.

I have read the instructions, watched videos and re-read my Speer manuals etc. (but of course does not cover shotgun)

I am going to get the LEE slug mold. ~$30. This will cast 1 oz slugs that can use a normal target wad. Seems the Lee has a bar cast into the bottom of the slug that allows the normal wad w/o issues of the wad collapsing. I have the lead and can cast these up pretty easily as I pour my own fishing weights all the time.

My question is: can I use the recycled target/game shells to load up the slugs? I have ~1000 new (as in only shot 1x) Remington game load shells. This would be great as I can start right away vs. waiting for the other shells to arrive by mail. I don't really see why these can't be used. Granted I may not get as many reloads out of the cheep shells but even 1 extra cycle is worth it vs. just tossing them in the trash. In fact some folks are saying the lower brass length on the game loads is better for the LEE press as it is easier to re-size. Any opinions on this?

If I can't use the el'cheepo hulls, what does the brain trust recommend for blank shells? If I have to buy new I want the best bang for the buck. (sorry about that bad pun) Also, favorite sources of components would be nice.

Also, I would LOVE to get some favorite recipes from folks including favorite powder, wads etc. for a semi auto Mossy SPX. Plan on shooting these through my SPX, 870 (clone), 500 and 590. Pumps will eat anything but the auto? This is where I would like to use others suggestions to eliminate some of the trial and error.

Mainly I am just going to reload 00, #4, slugs for training/target purposes. The normal game/target loads are still low enough $$ to not bother with but the other loads are going to be worth the hassle.

Who knows in time may start loading some hunting loads specifically matched to my duck gun but that would have to go to another forum.

Z71bill
10-05-2011, 14:22
The crimp on a slug is different - than bird / buckshot load.

How will your equipment handle the crimp on a slug?

Seems like a once used birdshot hull would be difficult to use as a slug because of the crimp.

I would just go to Walmart - they sell a 15 count box of Winchester slugs for $9 - or hit a deal online.

FH Alum
10-05-2011, 18:23
The Lee slug uses the exact same crimp and regular wads, that is what is so appealing about it.

Don't have a Wal-mart handy.

freakshow10mm
10-05-2011, 23:39
Get a shotgun reloading manual. Lyman and "Reloading for Shotgunners" are the ones I have.

Shotgun loads are literally recipes. You use this hull, this primer, this powder and charge, with this amount of shot and this wad only. Don't get cute as ballistic labs have 6 figure+ testing equipment to get that data.

Buy the manual(s), read, then select the load you want and buy those to try out. You may already have some hulls that are shown in the data or you may not. Get the book first, then select your components, and try different loads to get where you want to be.

FH Alum
10-06-2011, 17:46
I would LOVE to get some favorite recipes from folks including favorite powder, wads etc. for a semi auto Mossy SPX. Plan on shooting these through my SPX, 870 (clone), 500 and 590. Pumps will eat anything but the auto? This is where I would like to use others suggestions to eliminate some of the trial and error

--So far, Sound advise and rest assured I know the value of the manual, have one on order. Not new to the loading game and not one to risk my face and weapons playing science experiment with gunpowder. However, there are thousands of loads and I wanted to know what were folks fav. for the semi autos. Also, what I have come across manual wise does not really mention the game load hulls used by Remington, Peters etc. Most books only reference AA winchester etc. LEE's instructions actually mention that the shorter brass rings are easier to re-load. I shoot so much of those low cost target loads that the ability to use them would be a major bonus.

So, anyone reload the target shells? favorite load?

freakshow10mm
10-06-2011, 22:35
Think of shotgun hulls as the tires on your vehicle. It's the best insurance you ever spent.

Tom in Arizona
10-07-2011, 08:04
I have the Lee 1 oz. mold and have used it. I don't shoot many slugs as I have many other options, but reload and cast bullets for most other things. The Lee mold is easy to use and easy to load. Just follow the directions and recipe's. There is load data on the Hodgdon reloading guide on line at: http://www.hodgdon.com/

Also have the Lee six cavity OO buckshot mold and that one is a little trickier to cast with and fill the cavities due to the size and the small little sprue's linking the six chains of three balls together. With that mold soft leads works better, not in casting but in loading. The soft lead compresses the sides of the shot column together inside the wad in the case. If it is hard I found the sides of the reloaded case to be oversize and difficult if not impossible to chamber. Selection of the case will also have an effect as the thickness of the different cases will also effect that relationship. Those 9 pellets linked together in strings of three shoot really nice patterns from my guns.

For the volume you are looking at that setup should work fine, I haven't used a Lee LoadAll (have a number of MEC and Hornady outfits) for a few decades but I see no reason why it will not work for the slugs or buckshot.

sellersm
10-07-2011, 08:54
I've not personally reloaded the cheaper Rems or Peters, but I've heard from some others that they all reload fine, at least for 1x or 2x loading. I've had good success with the cheaper Win SuperX hulls.

I'm currently working on some 7/8 loads for my M1, can't say yet how it will cycle, but from others I've heard they work fine. I think all the 1oz will cycle any semi-auto just fine.

I don't have any fav. loads to share right now, though. I'm working on low recoil loads for my girls and I don't recommend them for most semi autos.

I know some of this is discussed at length at cast boolits & shotgunworld forums.

Sounds like a fun class!

vafish
10-08-2011, 07:36
Also have the Lee six cavity OO buckshot mold and that one is a little trickier to cast with and fill the cavities due to the size and the small little sprue's linking the six chains of three balls together. With that mold soft leads works better, not in casting but in loading. The soft lead compresses the sides of the shot column together inside the wad in the case. If it is hard I found the sides of the reloaded case to be oversize and difficult if not impossible to chamber. Selection of the case will also have an effect as the thickness of the different cases will also effect that relationship. Those 9 pellets linked together in strings of three shoot really nice patterns from my guns.

I saw the Lee buckshot mold on Midway's site.

Do you leave the pellets linked together when you load them in the hull or do you have to snip them all apart?

Tom in Arizona
10-08-2011, 07:47
I saw the Lee buckshot mold on Midway's site.

Do you leave the pellets linked together when you load them in the hull or do you have to snip them all apart?
That is what's so nice about it, You don't snip unless you wanted to.

You take three of the linked strings of three and hold them side by side and insert them into the wad you have already seated into the case. They go all of the way in up to the end of the petals, then ram them down with the drop tube on your press.

Just as easy as putting a sabbot slug into a wad but you are holding three pieces together instead of a solid projectile or placing layers of individual buckshot into the wad.

Hoser
10-08-2011, 10:43
Shotty? What the hell is a shotty? Shotgun maybe? I dont speak gansta, sorry.

I have tried reloading slugs a few times. The only one I would recommend is the Lyman sabot slug. It is the easiest to reload. The slug is heavy though, 525 gns. And all the data that is out there is on the spicy end of things which can make for a long day. The Lee is ok and easy to load, but the accuracy blows.

In the end I would just order up 100 B&P slugs and be done with it. They are the most accurate slug out there and they are low recoil with a 1 oz slug doing about 1250 fps. And as a bonus they are the cheapest...

Cant help with the buckshot side of the question, I bought a few 25 lb bags of #4, 0 and 00 many many years ago. Now days I just shoot Remington or Federal 00 low recoil. Easier than fighting the BBs.

GioaJack
10-09-2011, 10:25
There is absolutely no difference between low brass and high brass shotgun hulls nor is there any difference in loading techniques or performance.

The high/low brass choice is simply a holdover from the days when target loads were identified by low brass and game loads by high brass.

As far back as the early 60's Wanda proved that brass bases are not even needed by producing their line of colored coded, (to identify different gauges) totally plastic shotgun shells.

As an aside, although I'm sure the exist, I've never seen a slug load that didn't incorporate a roll crimp. We used to practice blowing and entry point through cinder block walls with slugs, works pretty good but now they have much more effect techniques.

Jack

FH Alum
10-12-2011, 22:58
Thanks for the info. I was also surprised about the crimp..but lee shows a normal crimp with the slug. Ordered the mold. Also for time savings ordered pre cast slugs for the class. I will play with the mold later and report back. It is just a warm fuzzy feeling to have the ability roll my own...one never knows