Patrol rifles: anyone running maagnifiers with their dots? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Patrol rifles: anyone running maagnifiers with their dots?

Morris
10-05-2011, 17:13
Just getting a general idea of who is and what setups.

collim1
10-05-2011, 17:27
I checked out a dept gun this morning and shot a few hundred rounds through it at various distances. It had an expensive setup. It was a SW M&P15 with a Trijicon ACOG, Trijicon mini reflex dot, and magnifier.

I honestly didn't like it. The ACOG reticle made it difficult for accurate slow fire at long ranges as the reticle covered half a Q-target at 100yds, and the mini-dot sight was okay up close but not great.

I prefer a flashlight and the standard carry handle sights. I shoot much better that way. If I had to have an optic it would be just the red dot sight.

For the guys in Afghanistan and Iraq who are clearing buildings one minute and then guarding a truck convoy the next they might need the capability of long and short range. Us as stateside LEO's know 100yds is possible but not likely and 20yds or less is most likely. Very few LEO shootings are ever gonna take place at 200yds, you will prolly be fine without the magnifier.

I practice shooting my rife the most at 25yds and 50yds.

Morris
10-05-2011, 18:22
Some of our local SWAT pups have 'em. And I thought they were a bit much until Issaquah came around. However, after running my T-1 at 100 yards, I can still hold a 1.5 inch group, I dunno.

Cochese
10-06-2011, 00:22
You've seen it before but, EOTech XPS 3-0 and a G23FTS.

My 7.5 will have a RDS only.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HkQ_LVjiBYE/TZMAhOMMfdI/AAAAAAAACso/rgy-MI6IDuk/s1024/IMAG0001.jpg

GackMan
10-06-2011, 00:59
Some of our local SWAT pups have 'em. And I thought they were a bit much until Issaquah came around. However, after running my T-1 at 100 yards, I can still hold a 1.5 inch group, I dunno.

Most of the reasoning I've heard for having magnificaiton is
1) using the rifle as a permiter weapon in a high risk incident, it makes you a better observer - not a shooter all the time.
2) Even though you are shooting 1 in groups at 100M, can you see a persons hands at 100M and articulate what they were doing with them when you shot them?

A lot of folks just have an variable scope 1-4x or a pair of binos in their bag.

pgg00
10-06-2011, 18:35
I do. I run an Eotech with a magnifier. Being in a rural setting most people have deer rifles and the ability to engage you a little farther out. Nice to have an option to repond more effectively to that.