Pistol grip stock on a shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol grip stock on a shotgun

RWROD
10-06-2011, 00:27
I'm wonder what you guys that have PG stocks on your shotguns think of them? I have a FN SLP with the regular stock. FN has the new ones with the PG stock finally out on the market now. There not selling the stock as an accessory item yet. So I would have to buy a whole gun.Don't know if it's worth it? Opinions?

22highcaps
10-06-2011, 12:50
I love PG stocks. The difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise is quite dramatic IMHO. It also makes reloading with the muzzle down range much easier. I also find it makes short-sticking much more natural.

Glockdude1
10-06-2011, 13:05
I love PG stocks. The difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise is quite dramatic IMHO. It also makes reloading with the muzzle down range much easier. I also find it makes short-sticking much more natural.

:agree:

aippi
10-06-2011, 16:23
If you mean stocks which also have a pistol grip and not PG only, then yes, this is the way to go on defense shotguns. You have been control, better dispersion of the recoil and absolute better weapon retention if someone graps it. It also lends to better piont shooting then a conventional stock. As Speedfeed VI-S with R3 is my prefered stock on my denfensive shotguns.

vafish
10-06-2011, 18:42
I don't like pistol grips on Mossberg 500 or 590 shotguns due to the location of the safety.

nastytrigger
10-06-2011, 19:11
I bought a pistol grip (no stock) and Knoxx stock for my Mossberg 590. It is much harder to manipulate the safety, so more often, I leave the safety off. I'm a lefty, so it's still easy to curl my finger to hit the slide lock.

I like the pistol grip only, no stock, for the overall shorter length of the weapon. I like the Knoxx stock for the comfortable pistol grip and adjustable length-of-pull.

Z71bill
10-06-2011, 20:44
No reason to ever use a safety on a HD shotgun - not that I can see anyway - can someone please explain why I need it?

Do you all want a safety on you SD/HD pistol?

I just make sure the gun is empty - dry fire - load the magazine and put it in the gun safe -

All you need to do is work the action to load a round in the chamber - no buttons to push.

I don't want to have to mess with any small buttons when I am under the stress of a beak in - or intruder in my home.

I can see a safety in a hunting shotgun - like in a duck blind - or walking a corn field -

22highcaps
10-07-2011, 12:17
No reason to ever use a safety on a HD shotgun - not that I can see anyway - can someone please explain why I need it?

Do you all want a safety on you SD/HD pistol?

I just make sure the gun is empty - dry fire - load the magazine and put it in the gun safe -

All you need to do is work the action to load a round in the chamber - no buttons to push.

I don't want to have to mess with any small buttons when I am under the stress of a beak in - or intruder in my home.

I can see a safety in a hunting shotgun - like in a duck blind - or walking a corn field -

Most pistols without safties have a much longer trigger pull than a typical shotgun. Still a safety is no substitute for trigger finger discipline.

Z71bill
10-07-2011, 13:03
Most pistols without safeties have a much longer trigger pull than a typical shotgun. Still a safety is no substitute for trigger finger discipline.

:dunno:

I will try and notice the length of the trigger pull - next time I shoot my 870 VS my Glock -

But I still don't see why that matters.

When is your safety on? When is your safety off (ready to fire)?

Mine is always OFF -

Gun stored with empty chamber.

What about when your gun is stored? Round in the chamber or not? safety on or off?

What if you hear a window break in the middle of the night and grab your trusty 12 gauge - you hear footsteps - see a shadow - is your safety on or off at this point?

Just wondering how you do it - not saying what ever you do is wrong.

Andrewsky
10-07-2011, 18:15

I will try and notice the length of the trigger pull - next time I shoot my 870 VS my Glock -

Mine is always OFF -

What about when your gun is stored? Round in the chamber or not? safety on or off?

What if you hear a window break in the middle of the night and grab your trusty 12 gauge - you hear footsteps - see a shadow - is your safety on or off at this point?

Generally, I keep my pistols loaded with a round in the chamber. Long arms are kept without a round in the chamber (this is just my convention).

For self defense, I'd either have the gun in double action if it has a double action trigger, or with the safety on until I was actually shooting at a target. It's to help prevent an accidental shooting.

vafish
10-07-2011, 18:36
Empty chamber in a shotgun means have to make noise and reveal my position. Shotguns stay loaded with safety on.

I've been hunting with pump shotguns since I was 8, I'm 47 now, clicking off the safety is second nature.

Mossberg 500 with a regular stock I can leave the safety on until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

22highcaps
10-07-2011, 18:38

At the risk of taking this thread further off topic, a longer trigger pull gives you more margin for error in case you exercise poor trigger discipline

Mine is always OFF -

My shot gun has a full mag, safety on, empty chamber. With a Speedfeed IVS and a Vang Comp big dome safety, it is not hard to flick the safety off. It actually becomes part of the motion to bring the trigger finger on to trigger.

When I had the factory safety on my 870 I never used it either as it was just too slow.

cyphertext
10-08-2011, 00:05
I'm with Bill on this one. Mine are kept chamber empty, trigger pulled, magazine full. Just grab and pump to load. This way it doesn't matter if my wife grabs a Remington or a Mossberg, same manual of arms to ready each one.

22highcaps
10-08-2011, 20:54
I'm with Bill on this one. Mine are kept chamber empty, trigger pulled, magazine full. Just grab and pump to load. This way it doesn't matter if my wife grabs a Remington or a Mossberg, same manual of arms to ready each one.

My solution to the same problem was to only own 870s.

Besides the safety location on a Mossberg and pistol grip full stocks do not go together very well.

DHSGMAN
10-09-2011, 10:12
Shooting positions are too limited with PG shotguns.

El_Ron1
10-09-2011, 10:40
Shooting positions are too limited with PG shotguns.

How so? The pistol grip does not cramp my style with my ARs, AKs, HKs, FALs, etc. Assuming a stock with a PG, not PG only on the shotgun.

22highcaps
10-09-2011, 16:26
How so? The pistol grip does not cramp my style with my ARs, AKs, HKs, FALs, etc. Assuming a stock with a PG, not PG only on the shotgun.

Perhaps he means PGO shotguns. PG with a full stock, such as the Speedfeed IV-S do not limit anything other than wing shooting.

DougW
10-09-2011, 20:17
I switched the pistol grip stock for a straight stock on my M1 Super90 Tactical. I load and shoot right handed, and the pg slows my reload. The H&K M1 Super90 will stay with the pg stock, as was made in 92.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/MDWINK/DSCF0275.jpg

unit1069
10-11-2011, 19:03
I own a Mossberg Maverick 88 that sat on the shelf for 15 years because the punishment to the strong hand was brutal.

In 2010 I bought a Knoxx Recoil Reducing adjustable stock and now I can shoot buckshot all day long with no discomfort. The biggest positive, however, is the quantum jump in weapon control and the ability to use the bead sight. And I actually shoot the gun now instead of having it collect dust on the shelf.

Shotguns aren't magic wands that you can point in the general direction of a bad guy and expect to take him out with one shot, no matter how much television or Hollywood myth we watch. Like a handgun it's far preferable to acquire a sight picture if at all possible for successful self defense and with the Knoxx I can do that. It's a pistol grip adjustable stock, which I really like much better than the standard shotgun grip design.

VinnieD
10-11-2011, 20:04
I'm a big fan of the Pistol Grip and M4 style adjustable stock configuration. Works great as long as you have a crossbolt safety. I think the main advantage to it is that it moves your hand down and forward, putting your grip closer the fulcrum of the gun's balance. If you saw off some barrel, or get a shorter barrel, you can get the center of gravity almost on top of your hand.

The adjustable stock I've found useful too. I keep it all the way in for quick home defense and moving in tight quarters allowing it to be easily tucked under the arm for when I need to really tighten up, or it can be extended outward for outdoor shooting.

The downsides of the pistol grip I've found are that, since it moves your grip downward, it puts the force of recoil above your hand rather than in line with it causing more barrel rise, but a combination of training with the grip to compensate, and having a firm grasp on the weapon will eventually correct this. I've also found that if you fire in a hurry and didn't correctly brace the stock against your shoulder your right wrist is going to eat the majority of the recoil and if you're shooting buck or slugs, you'll be feeling it in the morning.

Still I think the good outweighs the bad for a pistol grip.stock combination. I wouldn't encourage pistol grip only though. There's probably very few situations you could get in where you'd need the extra mobility of having no stock as compared to just a fully collapsed adjustable stock tucked under the arm.

Bob Hafler
10-17-2011, 19:06
IMO pistol grips are almost worthless after the first shot fired. Gun comes off the target when you jack the next round in the pipe.

Steve in Az
10-19-2011, 09:45
Love mine, it uses the Mesa Tactical LEO adapter ($56) w/a hogue pg I had lying around. I had the buffer tube, castle nut and M4 stock from an old AR build:

http://members.cox.net/stepheninaz/870.jpg

Other side:

http://members.cox.net/stepheninaz/870_2.jpg

Mushinto
10-19-2011, 23:27
I have done most of my shotgun training with a standard stock, so that is what I use. I find that the pistol grip gets in the way of strong hand loading. And as said previously, using a Mossberg shotgun with a tang safety is difficult with a pistol grip.

I have friends who are serious competition shotgunners and most of them use a pistol grip stock. It must work for them.

Bullman
10-20-2011, 19:27
I don't like pistol grips on Mossberg 500 or 590 shotguns due to the location of the safety.

I have Mossberg shotguns so I have standard stocks. I like how the controls are laid out and that is why I like Mossbergs. I just wish I could have both worlds, cause I like pistol grip stocks too. Guess I should switch to Remintons..... probably not going to happen, but they are good shotguns.

michael e
10-20-2011, 19:35
Only PG i have is on a sawed off, I like it. Have shot a 870 of my friends with PG and adjustable stock, I did not like that one, but think it was due to not being able to get the stock at the right length for me . As for safety, the sawed off stays loaded, round in chamber, safety off. Been that way for years , I don't have kids running around so not an issue at my house. In fact the only guns I use the safety on is my hunting rifles and 1911s.

M1Garand
10-25-2011, 20:03
Pistol grips on a shotgun is more or less a personal preference. Shooters with background in LE or military that handled firearms with pistol grip type of rifles may prefer shotguns with pistol grips. I found no particular mechanical advantage with or without pistol grips.

For me, I like the pistol grip on my 870P.

Dogbite
10-28-2011, 20:21
You cant hit anything with a pistol grip shotgun!!!! INCORRECT!! Behold....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4

nastytrigger
10-28-2011, 20:37
You cant hit anything with a pistol grip shotgun!!!! INCORRECT!! Behold....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4

Hickok45 is God!

Hickok45 for President 2012 :)

Dogbite
10-30-2011, 16:51
I like how he shows you what the gun can really do, close in and at distance. I respect the fact that sometimes, like any shooter, he misses, and he does not edit them out. How about shooting that steel close up--looked pretty mean!

Mushinto
10-30-2011, 22:03

Very nice video.

I have 2 Mossberg pumps, one of which I am forbidden by law to put a stock on. I shoot it in a similar fashion.

The birds head grip is a big aid to that type of shooting.

fuzzy03cls
11-02-2011, 09:24
I bought a 590A1. Got it cheap. My 1st shotgun. I never fired a shotgun before. So I was giddy when I got it. I was handling it unloaded to get to know it & found that I could barley reach the trigger & my arm was stretched out all the way to rack it. The stock was too long. So I bought the Houge 12" LOP stock. Installed that. Well that improved the reach to be able to rack it, but my finger still wasn't able to be fully on the trigger. The overall feel was extremely uncomfortable. I fired 60 rounds of 00. Again extremely uncomfortable to shoot. Recoil was uncontrollable for me. I bruised myself pretty good. I left the range thinking I had to sell it & shotguns were not for me.
Then someone suggested the Blackhawk Knoxx recoil reducing stock. I found a used one cheap enough. I tried it this weekend. OMG perfect. I can reach the trigger fine rack fine & the recoil is now manageable. Don't care about the safety. I also don't understand why it's on there. Don't pull trigger it don't go off. If in doubt unload the chambered round. It's easy to rack a round & fire. The stock is set all the way in & that works best for me. And that's what matters. What works best for the shooter. We are all different. No way I can use a regular shotgun effectively but this way I can.

Glock411
11-02-2011, 10:03
Love mine, it uses the Mesa Tactical LEO adapter ($56) w/a hogue pg I had lying around. I had the buffer tube, castle nut and M4 stock from an old AR build:

http://members.cox.net/stepheninaz/870.jpg

Other side:

http://members.cox.net/stepheninaz/870_2.jpg

I will second the Mesa Tactical Set up, I have two of them on two of my 870's they are awesome.

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=58

You will not find better quality anywhere, a little pricey but the quality makes it worth it. I have their Picatinny rails and side shot shell holder also,

I also installed a Blackhawk Cheek pad that holds about 11 rounds of shot shells and Surefire fore end lights.

All together loaded and attached to my shot gun is 24 rounds

I do love my shotguns

byf43
11-02-2011, 10:43
While a pistol-gripped stock does make the scattergun easier to hold with one hand, I prefer a conventional stock on my HD/SD shotgun.

Yeah, I know. . . I'm an old fart.:supergrin:

capnjim01
11-06-2011, 09:19
How do I determine length of pull? My gf wants a shotgun for HD and i need to know where to start with size. She is going to need a shorter stock because of her size and she has shoulder problems from an accident years ago.

I did convince her to keep one loaded pointing out that racking a shot gun doesn't always cause the invader to drop to the ground quivering in fear.
I think there may be hope for her.

B Coyote
11-06-2011, 11:13
Just put a 12" LOP stock on the gun. I highly doubt anything will fit better.

bc

F106 Fan
11-06-2011, 11:42
In theory, the LOP is determined by placing the butt of the stock in the elbow joint and being able to get the first knuckle of the trigger finger around the trigger.

Many top shooters disagree. Certainly no quality stock-maker will agree with that approach.

To complicate matters, a heavy jacket will require a shorter stock.

The end result, regardless of how you get there, is to be able to mount the gun quickly without fouling on clothing. Once mounted, the trigger must be reachable.

Then there is the complication that pistol grip stocks are different than conventional stocks.

So, head out to the range and practice mounting the gun and getting a first shot off. If it is too short, it probably doesn't matter (for a self-defense gun) but if it is too long, it will never mount quickly. Then again, I'm not too particular about 'mount' for SD on a target that is too close to miss. Maybe the gun gets to my shoulder, maybe not. If not, it's going to hurt a little but so what?

If I have to use the shotgun as a rifle, I will want a much better mount to get the sights aligned. I'm not sure I like ghost ring sights. A shotgun is aimed with the front bead and the cheek placement of the stock. Shooting a shotgun like a rifle seems awkward. It certainly isn't like trap or skeet!

You may also want to radius the top of the butt pad so that it doesn't snag on everything. A nice sharp edge is something you can do without.

Richard

Novocaine
11-06-2011, 20:31
Don't know if it's worth it?

Itís not. About the only advantage pistol grip offers is shooting one handed with the stock tucked underarm. Obviously not an option with the stockless pistol grip.

My M2 has pistol grip because it came this way. 870 has a stockless pistol grip because it makes for compact storage and the gun is a part of my cross-country kit. Iíve shot fair number of birds with either gun and they will do but make no mistake about it: the faster the things need to be engaged the faster the coolness of a pistol grip loses its allure. Goes for the rifles, too.

G30Mike
11-07-2011, 20:51
I use a Mossberg Maverick 88 with a pistol grip only and sawed off to 18.5" for the house. I like how small and manuverable it is with this setup, and I'm quite proficient with it.

Went out a couple weekends ago to hone skills to find some guys shooting skeet. They wondered if I could hit one with it, so they flung one out for me. Hit first time every time in 5 tries using regular 7 shot 2 3/4" target loads. At home its loaded with 3" 00 buck, one in the chamber safety on.

fpgeek
11-16-2011, 23:56
I'm wonder what you guys that have PG stocks on your shotguns think of them? I have a FN SLP with the regular stock. FN has the new ones with the PG stock finally out on the market now. There not selling the stock as an accessory item yet. So I would have to buy a whole gun.Don't know if it's worth it? Opinions?

Had one on my Mossberg 500, and found it was a great way to get a sore hand and wrist. Stay with a buttstock.