Any dies for a 550 to eliminate Glock bulge in 10mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any dies for a 550 to eliminate Glock bulge in 10mm?

Kwesi
10-06-2011, 07:04
Does anyone make a better sizing die than my Dillon carbide that is plug & play in a 550? My Dillon die is down ad far ad it can go but still does not remove the bulge completely.

Most will pass the case gauge test while others may appear to drop in just fine but may hang up if you gauged them a 2nd time.

BTW: I now have a KKM barrel but I've got lots of brass from the stock G20.

Thanks

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 07:09
My Standard Lee dies remove the bulge in 40 and 10mm.

ron59
10-06-2011, 07:26
I use a Lee resizing die instead of my Dillon... does a better job near the base IMO.

TonyT
10-06-2011, 09:19
I use a standard carbide Lee set in 40 S&W and it removes the bulge from once fired Glock brass. I do not shoot Glock's in 40 S&W but obtain the 40 S&W brass from a police range.

Kwesi
10-06-2011, 09:35
Are each of you stating that the Lee die works in the 550 in station #1?

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 10:09
Yes,...

ron59
10-06-2011, 11:14
Are each of you stating that the Lee die works in the 550 in station #1?

Lee dies will work in all of the stations (well, I don't know if they have a PTX type setup or not). But resizing, seating, crimping... they will all work.

My standard setup now is:

Lee sizing die
Dillon Powder drop setup
Redding Competition Seating Die - because it has a micrometer adjustment which means you don't have to change the seating depth by screwing the die in/out, just spin the dial. Cool. It's considerably more expensive, but more than worth it to me.
Dillon crimp die

I have this setup now for 9mm and .45ACP, will copy it for .40 and .380 when I finally start loading for those as well.

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 12:27
Lee has a PTX setup if you use their Powder Measure.

Beanie-Bean
10-06-2011, 14:11
My standard setup now is:

Lee sizing die
Dillon Powder drop setup
Redding Competition Seating Die - because it has a micrometer adjustment which means you don't have to change the seating depth by screwing the die in/out, just spin the dial. Cool. It's considerably more expensive, but more than worth it to me.
Dillon crimp die

I have this setup now for 9mm and .45ACP, will copy it for .40 and .380 when I finally start loading for those as well.

Thanks for the information. I've been contemplating getting the Redding Pro Carbide set, not knowing how well that would work in the Dillon. I do like the idea of the micrometer adjustment on their die vs. the loosen/check/tighten/check method with the Dillon seating die.

Going to research quickly to see if I can get the Lee sizing die by itself. I'm liking the pricing on their stuff as of late, and have been reading on other forums that others are really getting outstanding results from the Lee gear.

To me, the reloading gear is very similar to pots, pans, and utensils I use when I cook--it doesn't matter that I have a matched set of [fill in blank.] I am more concerned of the end result. If that means having a smorgasbord of brands in the same toolhead, or on the same reloading bench, then so be it.

Again, I appreciate the insight on what works for you. I'll adopt that strategy and will report back how it works on my bench.

m2hmghb
10-06-2011, 15:26
I wonder if the Lee bulge buster would work on the 10mm as well as the 40? That's another option.

IndyGunFreak
10-06-2011, 15:38
I wonder if the Lee bulge buster would work on the 10mm as well as the 40? That's another option.

I would think so.. but.. then (assuming he doesn't have a single stage press)... he'd hve to buy another press.

The whole point, adjust your dies properly. Dillon's dies do not full length size. A Lee die does... thus why this problem is often solved w/ the Lee sizing die.

IGF

m2hmghb
10-06-2011, 15:44
I would think so.. but.. then (assuming he doesn't have a single stage press)... he'd hve to buy another press.

The whole point, adjust your dies properly. Dillon's dies do not full length size. A Lee die does... thus why this problem is often solved w/ the Lee sizing die.

IGF

Quite true, but depending on the bulge's location the lee die may not remove it completely either. I used the old Lee C clamp press, that's cheap and efficient. I used it to size cast bullets but I'd wager it would work fine for the bulge die, as well as the fact I reloaded 30-06 on it several times.

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 17:25
Thanks for the information. I've been contemplating getting the Redding Pro Carbide set, not knowing how well that would work in the Dillon. I do like the idea of the micrometer adjustment on their die vs. the loosen/check/tighten/check method with the Dillon seating die.

Going to research quickly to see if I can get the Lee sizing die by itself. I'm liking the pricing on their stuff as of late, and have been reading on other forums that others are really getting outstanding results from the Lee gear.

To me, the reloading gear is very similar to pots, pans, and utensils I use when I cook--it doesn't matter that I have a matched set of [fill in blank.] I am more concerned of the end result. If that means having a smorgasbord of brands in the same toolhead, or on the same reloading bench, then so be it.

Again, I appreciate the insight on what works for you. I'll adopt that strategy and will report back how it works on my bench.

You can get the Lee sizer by itself. I like the Lee deluxe 3 die set and then add the crimp die. No FCD that way. I have found my Lee dies work better (not as good, BETTER) then most others. I have not tried Redding. I do like Dillons Crimp die because I shoot lead. I see zero reason to own anything but a Lee sizing die. I am sure that Redding may be a tad smoother or some such thing but for my money. It's hard to beat Lee's value in their dies. But I do avoid their FCD. Thats just me. I am a real man. I don't need no stinking FCD to fix my sheat.

Quite true, but depending on the bulge's location the lee die may not remove it completely either. I used the old Lee C clamp press, that's cheap and efficient. I used it to size cast bullets but I'd wager it would work fine for the bulge die, as well as the fact I reloaded 30-06 on it several times.

I have yet to find a case me Lee dies will not resize properly. I can't tell you how many rounds I have loaded for KKM and LW barrels. NEVER a issue. And you know how bad those can be for being tight. Why make a hard job of using a entire separate step (bulge buster) when a normal die will more then likely work.

IndyGunFreak
10-06-2011, 17:45

I'd have to agree w C4W... I've yet to see a *properly* adjusted Lee sizer die, not remove the Glock bulge.

Kwesi
10-07-2011, 08:57
Where can you purchase the Lee sizing carbide die separately? Midway only has the set and Lee's site does not list it either.

ron59
10-07-2011, 11:20
Where can you purchase the Lee sizing carbide die separately? Midway only has the set and Lee's site does not list it either.

I got my sizer dies alone from Midway, not a set.
Here's the one for 9mm:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=578115

How I found it easily.
Reloading->ReloadingDies->Handgun Dies->9mm

At that point, on the left will be a list of manufacturers, if you click Lee, you will see all the Lee stuff. They sell the dies as a kit, and also individually. Which caliber you looking for ?

[EDITED TO ADD]
Oooops... figured it out, you were asking about the 10mm. While they sell the crimp die separately, looks like they only sell the sizing die in the kit. But the kit is only $28.... doesn't seem *too* expensive:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=280965

That Redding Seating die I mentioned goes for something like $80 or $90 just for the ONE die. It's not cheap.

sellersm
10-07-2011, 14:14
Lee Factory Sales has the 3-die kit in 10mm on sale.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/3-DIE-SET-10MM-AUTO-CARB.html

I don't see where you can get just the sizer die, though. Might be worth a call/email to them to check.

Kwesi
10-07-2011, 17:26
Lee Factory Sales has the 3-die kit in 10mm on sale.

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/3-DIE-SET-10MM-AUTO-CARB.html

I don't see where you can get just the sizer die, though. Might be worth a call/email to them to check.

Thanks! I'll call them and see if I can just purchase it. Don't have any need for the other dies.

unclebob
10-07-2011, 17:48
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90548&prodTitle=Lee Carbide Sizer Die 9mm Luger

Colorado4Wheel
10-07-2011, 18:04
Hornady dies

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3267.jpg

Lee Die.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3266.jpg

27.99 for 3 Lee dies. Seater/crimper, expander, and sizer.
or
a single Hornady die for 31.99.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=594576

Both size down pretty low. I would get the Lee and try the Lee Seating die. I like it a lot. MUCH easier to reset the OAL because it has a turn dial on top.

Kwesi
10-07-2011, 18:58
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90548&prodTitle=Lee Carbide Sizer Die 9mm Luger

Thanks but I need a 10mm.

Colorado4Wheel
10-07-2011, 19:14
It is a little weird that they sell a bunch of sizing dies separately but not the 10mm one. I have one but you can't have it because I use it all the time with my G20 brass and it works great.

unclebob
10-07-2011, 20:34
Thanks but I need a 10mm.

No wonder they tell you not to make any decisions after surgery. For some reason I was thinking 9mm. Sorry

SJ 40
10-08-2011, 13:19
The standard Lee dies do a great job,.40/10mm is the same die that is why you do not see it listed,check 40S&W and it also shows 10 mm. If you want the best,as in when properly adjusted sizing die,that will fit a check gauge Period see here http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersize-reloading-dies/ EGW sizing dies are produced by Lee for EGW, also listed 40/10mm. SJ 40

Kwesi
10-08-2011, 13:28
The standard Lee dies do a great job,.40/10mm is the same die that is why you do not see it listed,check 40S&W and it also shows 10 mm. If you want the best,as in when properly adjusted sizing die,that will fit a check gauge Period see here http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersize-reloading-dies/ EGW sizing dies are produced by Lee for EGW, also listed 40/10mm. SJ 40

Sounds great! Is this what you use? This will fit in my 550, right?

unclebob
10-08-2011, 13:43
Sounds great! Is this what you use? This will fit in my 550, right?

Yes the Lee dies will fit the 550. The undersize die is just a Lee die that sizes the case .001 undersize. It does not size any further down that the standard Lee dies .I bought a 9mm once to try out. For some reason using that die caused the rounds to keyhole. Personally I think it is just a way for Lee to get die rid of their dies that are out of tolerance, instead of going into the scrap heap.
So if you need a die at is only .001 smaller. Either you have standard Lee die set up wrong. Or the die is out of tolerance the other way. And I have a lee die that is out of tolerance the other way big time.

Kwesi
10-08-2011, 14:12
Yes the Lee dies will fit the 550.

So if you need a die at is only .001 smaller. Either you have standard Lee die set up wrong. Or the die is out of tolerance the other way. And I have a lee die that is out of tolerance the other way big time.

unclebob: I currently have Dillon dies in stations 1,2 and 4. I use the Reddington Competition Seating Die. My Dillon die does not always eliminate the bulge. The opinion so far is to get a Lee resizing die.

The last reply was recommending the EGW which Lee makes for them. I'm leaning toward it & I'm assuming they are all std threads.

Colorado4Wheel
10-08-2011, 14:48
Be really careful using a EGW sizing die with Lead.

Kwesi
10-08-2011, 14:51
Be really careful using a EGW sizing die with Lead.

Steve: I only shoot FMJ. Are you familiar with this EGW sizing die?

SJ 40
10-08-2011, 14:55
Sounds great! Is this what you use? This will fit in my 550, right?Kwesi Yes it has standard 7/8x 14 threads common to most dies. Yes I use them in 40 S&W and 45 acp. When you see the sizing ring and the way the edge is chamfered it allows the case to be sized, too be sized further down towards the extractor cut,read no bulge of any kind. I have three different manufacture check gauges and I have never had a round that didn't check in any of them,as of late I have given up even bothering to check, For me it works and very well. Further information on the EGW U die http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65410 SJ 40

Colorado4Wheel
10-08-2011, 14:57
It's a common die people use. I don't think you need it. It makes the press harder to operate as well. I know it's bugging you to buy a Carbide 3 die set when you only need the carbide sizer. You can sell the other dies. I would try the seating die before you do that.

unclebob
10-08-2011, 21:14
Kwesi Yes it has standard 7/8x 14 threads common to most dies. Yes I use them in 40 S&W and 45 acp. When you see the sizing ring and the way the edge is chamfered it allows the case to be sized, too be sized further down towards the extractor cut,read no bulge of any kind. I have three different manufacture check gauges and I have never had a round that didn't check in any of them,as of late I have given up even bothering to check, For me it works and very well. Further information on the EGW U die http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65410 SJ 40

I did not read all of the post. But the ones I did read the people that were having the problem were using Dillon dies. The people using the standard Lee dies were not. If you have a standard Lee sizing die you should not have any problem. The Lee die if you set it up right well size all the way down Just like the U die. The only difference of a standard Lee die and the U die is that the U die sizes .001 less. It does not size the case down any further down on the case. I can think of more reason to not using the U die than I can to use one.

Kwesi
10-09-2011, 07:45
Still can't find just the 40/10 carbide resizing die even at Lee's site:

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Carbide-Sizing-Die-Only/

Are you referring to Lee's sizing/crimp die here:

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/CARBIDE-FACTORY-CRIMP-DIE-40SW10MM.html

Steve: I will buy all three if I must - won't use the other two and don't want to take time to resell!

unclebob
10-09-2011, 08:01
I have looked also they do not sell just the 10mm sizing die. In the Natchez catalog they are listed as special order with no price. So that probably means it well be cheaper to just buy the 3 die set.
Just join the rest of use that have all kinds of dies that are not being used.

Kwesi
10-09-2011, 08:16
I have looked also they do not sell just the 10mm sizing die. In the Natchez catalog they are listed as special order with no price. So that probably means it well be cheaper to just buy the 3 die set.
Just join the rest of use that have all kinds of dies that are not being used.

Strange but obviously true! BTW: I'm curious about the 2nd link I posted above: how does their die size and crimp? I've only loaded on a 550.

unclebob
10-09-2011, 08:46
Strange but obviously true! BTW: I'm curious about the 2nd link I posted above: how does their die size and crimp? I've only loaded on a 550.
That is Steve’s beloved Lee Factory crimp die. It does not size the case down as much as the sizer die. So no you cannot use it as your first sizer die. Plus it does not have a decapping pin. It post sizes a completed loaded round. And that is not a good thing.

Beanie-Bean
10-09-2011, 10:05
I've found a 40 S&W full-length carbide sizer, but am not sure if this would also work for 10mm:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=696144

There's also this one, listed for 40/10:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=136478

This one is listed as a special order, with a 30+ lead time:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=332881

Kwesi
10-09-2011, 11:11
Thanks but I want a Lee!

Colorado4Wheel
10-09-2011, 17:02
That is Steve’s beloved Lee Factory crimp die. It does not size the case down as much as the sizer die. So no you cannot use it as your first sizer die. Plus it does not have a decapping pin. It post sizes a completed loaded round. And that is not a good thing.

If memory serves it's about .006" bigger then the standard sizing die. And people RAVE about it solving the bulge problem. Hence why I recommend just getting a GOOD sizer and skipping something that is obviously just fixing a bad sizer or bad setup.

Kwesi
10-10-2011, 06:59
Update: I called Lee this morning and they do offer just the 10mm sizing die although they do not list it separately on their site BUT it is $27.98! Mid-Way has the 3-die set for the same price. Hello Mid-Way....

ron59
10-10-2011, 10:25
Update: I called Lee this morning and they do offer just the 10mm sizing die although they do not list it separately on their site BUT it is $27.98! Mid-Way has the 3-die set for the same price. Hello Mid-Way....

That's just weird, how they would charge that much when you can get the set for the same price.

What I'm guessing is.... they know how many Dillon people want just the resizing die because of what you're experiencing. LOL. They're gonna get some money out of you!

Kwesi
10-10-2011, 13:22
That's just weird, how they would charge that much when you can get the set for the same price.

What I'm guessing is.... they know how many Dillon people want just the resizing die because of what you're experiencing. LOL. They're gonna get some money out of you!

When I explained that I could get all three dies from one of their retailers they said that they sell retail so as not to compete with them.

Kwesi
10-20-2011, 19:02
I'd have to agree w C4W... I've yet to see a *properly* adjusted Lee sizer die, not remove the Glock bulge.

Indy: I've installed it by taking it down until it touches the shell plate. Is there a trick to *properly* adjusting it?

Colorado4Wheel
10-20-2011, 20:43
On the 550 I install the Lee sizer to touch the shellplate and raise the toolhead just a smidge. Do the install with loaded case in both station three and four and a empty case in station 1. You don't want it to bind but you want to take the slack out and leave a little extra space just for some wiggle room.

PCJim
10-20-2011, 22:00
:agree:

and set my dies (primarily Lee) the same way as Steve has described.

Kwesi
10-21-2011, 13:01
Thank you!

ron59
10-21-2011, 16:24
Thank you!

So... you gonna give us an update as to whether or not the Lee die does a better job of resizing your troublesome brass?

Kwesi
10-21-2011, 16:33
On the 550 I install the Lee sizer to touch the shellplate and raise the toolhead just a smidge. Do the install with loaded case in both station three and four and a empty case in station 1. You don't want it to bind but you want to take the slack out and leave a little extra space just for some wiggle room.

Steve: as long as it functions without binding should I have any other concerns? I can't tell visually if I have it screwed down far enough so I'm testing then turning down then testing again slowly.

Colorado4Wheel
10-21-2011, 16:48
Steve: as long as it functions without binding should I have any other concerns? I can't tell visually if I have it screwed down far enough so I'm testing then turning down then testing again slowly.

Fill the shellplate except the sizing station. Screw the die down till it just touches the shellplate. Lower the ram, Put a case in the station, Raise the ram, Case is now in the die, tighten the lockring. See how that goes.

Kwesi
10-22-2011, 08:17
Steve: First I serewed the sizing die down to touch the shell plate utilizing a tiny piece of paper to determine when it was touching then I screwed it just a tad more. Then I put a loaded round in stations 3 and 4 and a case in station 1 and raised the ram then tightened the lockring. Am I good to go?

Kwesi
10-22-2011, 08:23
So... you gonna give us an update as to whether or not the Lee die does a better job of resizing your troublesome brass?

ron: I now have a KKM barrel in the G20 but much of my brass was fired in the stock G20. I occasionally get a case with so much bulge that it won't fit in the case gauge. So in time I guess I'll know how the Lee die performs. I'm also having a major feeding issue in a new Tanfoglio Witness Limited
10mm. I'm curious if any of the brass that was fired in the G20 could be causing my feeding issues. This is the main reason I got the Lee die.

Colorado4Wheel
10-22-2011, 08:32
Size a bunch of cases, drop them in the KKM barrel. Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Kwesi
10-22-2011, 09:17
This photo is of a round that was sized with my Dillon die. What I find surprising is that it you had rotated the round in the case gauge it would drop right in! Is this common?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/golfkwesi/P1020317.jpg

I then pulled the tip and reized with the Lee and it drops in the case gauge perfectly even as I rotate it 360 degrees!

bamacisa
10-22-2011, 09:24
I had a problem resizing 40S&W brass. I got a "U" resizing die from EGW ... It sells for about $20 and will solve your problem forever. I have told other people about this die and it solved their problems too. I suggest that you call EGW and order one. Evolution Gun Works 1-800-504-5897.

Colorado4Wheel
10-22-2011, 09:43
This photo is of a round that was sized with my Dillon die. What I find surprising is that it you had rotated the round in the case gauge it would drop right in! Is this common?

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/golfkwesi/P1020317.jpg

I then pulled the tip and reized with the Lee and it drops in the case gauge perfectly even as I rotate it 360 degrees!

Sweet, so problem solved and no need for a EGW die.

I have no idea why rotating it would allow it to drop in the case gauge. In a barrel that makes sense but not a case gauge.

unclebob
10-22-2011, 11:19
Sweet, so problem solved and no need for a EGW die.

I have no idea why rotating it would allow it to drop in the case gauge. In a barrel that makes sense but not a case gauge.

:agree:
If you need a die that only sized the case .001 more? Either you set up your die wrong or you had a die that was probably made in the first part of production. I had one of those. I also bought a U die and had rounds tumble from using the U die.

Kwesi
10-22-2011, 17:35
Thanks for everyone's help!

Colorado4Wheel
10-22-2011, 18:00
I was right twice in a couple weeks. I should buy a lottery ticket.

Fastbear
11-01-2011, 17:43
I got my sizer dies alone from Midway, not a set.
Here's the one for 9mm:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=578115

How I found it easily.
Reloading->ReloadingDies->Handgun Dies->9mm

At that point, on the left will be a list of manufacturers, if you click Lee, you will see all the Lee stuff. They sell the dies as a kit, and also individually. Which caliber you looking for ?

[EDITED TO ADD]
Oooops... figured it out, you were asking about the 10mm. While they sell the crimp die separately, looks like they only sell the sizing die in the kit. But the kit is only $28.... doesn't seem *too* expensive:

That Redding Seating die I mentioned goes for something like $80 or $90 just for the ONE die. It's not cheap.

Thx for the 9mm part
# on the Lee sizer die. Have had lots of 9mm bulge issues reloading with Dillon Dies on my 550. Lots of range brass available in this area so go with what works. The Lee die will be an inexpensive fix.

ron59
11-02-2011, 08:19
Thx for the 9mm part
# on the Lee sizer die. Have had lots of 9mm bulge issues reloading with Dillon Dies on my 550. Lots of range brass available in this area so go with what works. The Lee die will be an inexpensive fix.

Yeah... I like that the Dillon resizing die has the mouth flared so the case feeds in easier... not sure if that's the same "feature" that causes the base not to get resized properly.

The Lee die just does a better job of resizing than the Dillon, and is very cheap. I'm happy with Dillon dies in the other stations, but the Redding Micrometer Seating die is a very convenient one to have.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2011, 08:37
Yeah... I like that the Dillon resizing die has the mouth flared so the case feeds in easier... not sure if that's the same "feature" that causes the base not to get resized properly.

The Lee die just does a better job of resizing than the Dillon, and is very cheap. I'm happy with Dillon dies in the other stations, but the Redding Micrometer Seating die is a very convenient one to have.

It would be interesting for you to take 10 cases and size them with the Dillon and the Lee. Measure the case mouth and just above the base to get some average results. It's tough to do that with the 9mm because it's tapered. But if the Dillon sizes down to the same size but is essentially not sizing as low because it actually farther away from the shellplate because of that flare then you would have your answer. Some people have ground some of that flare away with good results.

ron59
11-02-2011, 09:45
It would be interesting for you to take 10 cases and size them with the Dillon and the Lee. Measure the case mouth and just above the base to get some average results. It's tough to do that with the 9mm because it's tapered. But if the Dillon sizes down to the same size but is essentially not sizing as low because it actually farther away from the shellplate because of that flare then you would have your answer. Some people have ground some of that flare away with good results.

That sounds like so much WORK!!! lol.

I don't want to sound like one of those FCD guys and say "it fixed my problem, I'm good". But for me, I know I had the Dillon die installed correctly (even went back to it for a short bit as a test) and don't get the results I do with the Lee. So for me: "it fixed my problem, I'm good" works. LOL.

Why the Dillon doesn't, is a matter for people who are way more curious than I.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2011, 09:57
Curious is the right word. It doesn't mater in the end. The Lee die works better.