GA IDPA State [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GA IDPA State

fredj338
10-06-2011, 12:46
Anyone shooting the GA state chmaps this year? I am going to be there, my first sanctioned one. Sounds like a great match.

PCJim
10-06-2011, 15:29
Fred, I will not be but several from TSSA will be there. Maybe next year?

fredj338
10-06-2011, 21:26
Fred, I will not be but several from TSSA will be there. Maybe next year?

Too bad, would like to have met up with you. The roster shows 20 CDP/SS class guys, the largest group on CDP their. I will have my work cut out for me.:whistling: My office has a couple jobs going in FLorida right now, so I may still yet get back over there.

jmorris
10-06-2011, 22:28
I had planed on making it there this year but a new Miss Morris will be here about a week before and I don't want to die in my sleep so I'll have to wait one more year.

frankt
10-07-2011, 18:40
I will be helping setting the stages on Wednesday and Thursday,shooting the match on Friday,working as a SO on Saturday and tearing it all down on Sunday. Monday I will be taking my Wife out to dinner to see if she will start talking to me again.:rofl:
It should be a good one as always and maybe we will bump into each other..

fredj338
10-09-2011, 10:40
I will be helping setting the stages on Wednesday and Thursday,shooting the match on Friday,working as a SO on Saturday and tearing it all down on Sunday. Monday I will be taking my Wife out to dinner to see if she will start talking to me again.:rofl:
It should be a good one as always and maybe we will bump into each other..
Well, I am sure I'll be the only Kalif shooter there!:shocked: Look for Fred Johnson on the roster & say hello.:wavey:

frankt
10-11-2011, 17:18
Will do!

dsmw5142
10-14-2011, 20:41
I'll be there. Maybe I'll get to say hello to you Fred :wavey:

Bogey
10-14-2011, 20:50
It's hard to get down there anymore. Made 3 in the past, but driving 7 hours for a one day match isn't really worth it to me.

fredj338
10-14-2011, 21:56
It's hard to get down there anymore. Made 3 in the past, but driving 7 hours for a one day match isn't really worth it to me.

Well, I am flying out from Kommifornia!:wow: I am visiting friends for a little R&R though, the match is kind of a one day side thing.
I'll be there. Maybe I'll get to say hello to you Fred
Look forward to it!
So for anyone going, I'll be wearing a long sleeve white 5Dogs IDPA shirt. Say hello.:supergrin:

kilroy2721
10-16-2011, 19:51
I will be heading up there from Orlando. Missed last years match so I am anxious to get up there this year. I hope they have some good movers and popup targets this year.

fredj338
10-16-2011, 23:01
I will be heading up there from Orlando. Missed last years match so I am anxious to get up there this year. I hope they have some good movers and popup targets this year.

After reading last years COF, sounds great! The clubs I shoot have limted resources for moving targets & get pretty inovative, but nothing liek the GAIDPA guys, very cool stuff w/ pressure pad & photo cell triggers, movers, poppers & swingers, should be great.

Sheep
10-19-2011, 08:53
I'll be there. Last major of the year for me.

I went last year for the first time and was VERY impressed. Capel and staff do an awesome job in every aspect of putting this match on.

fredj338
10-19-2011, 09:16
I'll be there. Last major of the year for me.

I went last year for the first time and was VERY impressed. Capel and staff do an awesome job in every aspect of putting this match on.
Look for the white Bakersfield IDPA shirt & say hello.:wavey:

Sheep
10-20-2011, 06:23
10-4. I'll probably be in grey Sheepdog Shooting Squad shirt.

fredj338
10-20-2011, 09:21
10-4. I'll probably be in grey Sheepdog Shooting Squad shirt.

Well, until the vests go on, it will be easy.:rofl: So maybe a Buccaneers ball cap.

Sheep
10-20-2011, 16:48
Beige Glock hat, fishing vest, and tacticool pants. Ill look out for ya.

fredj338
10-20-2011, 17:52
Beige Glock hat, fishing vest, and tacticool pants. Ill look out for ya.

That is probably half the roster!:rofl: We'll sort it out.

Colorado4Wheel
10-20-2011, 18:19
IDPA'ers and their vest. It's kinda funny to me. Can't you just see yourself going to a nice restaurant wearing a fishing vest. Maybe if you got it from Orvis.

gary newport
10-21-2011, 00:16
IDPA'ers and their vest. It's kinda funny to me. Can't you just see yourself going to a nice restaurant wearing a fishing vest. Maybe if you got it from Orvis.

Well, I can (and often do) see myself in a fishing/safari vest, but I can't see myself in a "nice" restaurant--those are the kind where you have to (1) wait to be seated, (2) wait to be served, (3) pay a lot for the alleged food, and (4) leave a tip for the alleged service, right? :dunno:

freakshow10mm
10-21-2011, 00:25
Fred, I would appreciate your reasoning for using TiteGroup in your ammunition for this match.

freakshow10mm
10-21-2011, 00:27
Or the photographer's vest. Love competitors that dress for the games totally unlike they dress every day. They are missing the point.

gary newport
10-21-2011, 00:29
I wish you good shooting at the IDPA match, Fred!

I'll get back to you on WST when I find a load that will reliably cycle my G21SF! (Not a problem with the powder: the problem is with Winchester's published data. :upeyes:)

gary newport
10-21-2011, 01:10
Or the photographer's vest. Love competitors that dress for the games totally unlike they dress every day. They are missing the point.

...unless that is the way they dress every day! And how about the way those USPSA shooters "dress for the games?" Or the SASS shooters? Or football players....?

Folks who make fun of IDPA "costumes" fail to understand two fundamental things. First, the rules of the competition define limits on what one may wear and do. Within those limits, competitors are most likely going to choose the most practical--that is, the most competitive rig that is legal. IDPA is a shooting sport--even though it requires some very practical skills, such as drawing from concealment (from beneath a vest, for example).

Second, vests are very practical garments for more than just concealment--popular garments too, judging from the large number of companies offering them in a wide variety of configurations.

Finally, IDPA does not require one to wear a vest. As long as the concealment requirements are met, a big Hawaiian-style shirt, a hoodie or even a suit coat can be used in IDPA. (One shooter I know, now a Grand Master in USPSA, showed up at an IDPA match dressed in a black suit, white shirt and tie, an outfit I wouldn't ever wear anywhere!)

PCJim
10-21-2011, 09:16
One shooter I know, now a Grand Master in USPSA, showed up at an IDPA match dressed in a black suit, white shirt and tie, an outfit I wouldn't ever wear anywhere!

Gary, that made me smirk. I used to wear a suit every day. I can only imagine....

freakshow10mm
10-21-2011, 09:23
Other than IDPA shooters, I have yet to see a person wear a vest as part of their choice of fashion for that day.

fredj338
10-21-2011, 09:36
Other than IDPA shooters, I have yet to see a person wear a vest as part of their choice of fashion for that day.

The vest is a practical choice for hot days. The last couple months, it's been well over 100deg on the range. Walking around in a jacket just isn't practical. Sure, playing in a over size polo or T is more realistic, but is a bit slower than an open garment. So the vest is used a lot. I have shot in an open hoody, polor fleece jacket & starting next month, I'll be shooting from the over size polo or long Sleeve T. I gotta give the guys @ the club a fighting chance.:tongueout:
I'll get back to you on WST when I find a load that will reliably cycle my G21SF! (Not a problem with the powder: the problem is with Winchester's published data.
If you are shooting 200gr anything, you should be able to go as low as 4.4gr & get functioning. The 230grLRN, down to about 4gr still runs my XD w/ a 16# spring. I have found the full size GLocks pretty forgiving of ammo & PF. My gamer load for the XD in ESP div is 4.3gr under a 200grLTC for about 730fps. Recoils like a 9mm @ makes those nice big holes to catch the scoring ring.:supergrin:

gary newport
10-21-2011, 12:31
If you are shooting 200gr anything, you should be able to go as low as 4.4gr & get functioning. The 230grLRN, down to about 4gr still runs my XD w/ a 16# spring. I have found the full size GLocks pretty forgiving of ammo & PF. My gamer load for the XD in ESP div is 4.3gr under a 200grLTC for about 730fps. Recoils like a 9mm @ makes those nice big holes to catch the scoring ring.:supergrin:

Fred, I'm trying to find a Minor load for Montana Gold 185 HPs. I noted that Winchester lists 4.4 grains as a starter for 185 JSWC and 4.6 for 200 JHP. Knowing that published data from powder companies tend to be a bit "optimistic," I used 4.6 grains for my first attempt with the 185 MG bullets.

The results were comical: my G21SF became a single shot! I experienced pretty much every failure-to-extract condition! Most of the time, the slide would simply close on the now-empty case, but I got stovepipes and empty cases jammed into the breechface as well. I highly recommend this load for malfunctiion drills! :supergrin:

However, I happened to find some rounds lying around that I had loaded eight years ago, using Rainier Ballistics 200-grain flatnose bullets and 4.7 grains of WST. Those functioned flawlessly, so I next tried the 185s with 4.8 grains of WST. Close, but no cigar. Most rounds cycled, but there were a few failures. Bumping the charge would cure this, but I happen to have more MG 200-grain flatnose bullets on hand right now than 185 HPs, so I will probably refocus on a WST load for the heavier bullet in the short run.

One would think that a mere 15-grain difference in bullet weight wouldn't make that much difference. :dunno:

fredj338
10-21-2011, 14:07
Are you shooting a stock spring? The slide inertia is going to change for sure going to 185gr bullets. I haven't tried any JHP @ that low of a vel, but 200gr Berry'sFP o/ 4.9gr makes about 875fps, not a minor load by a long shot. I would suggest changing springs, as much as I hate doing that, if you are going to run the 185gr @ 750fps or so. A 230gr @ 700fps should easily run the slide & is pretty soft shooting. My 145PF minor load runs my stock XD spring, but I swap it out for a 16# to make sure. It's stupidly accurate & the brass falls right at miy right foot. It will be my gamer round for ESP. Tough to keep up with those soft shooting 9mm guys. My goal every monthly match is to beat the best 9mm guy shooting CDP & 165PF loads.:supergrin: I haven't got there yet, but getting close. ESP & SSP are by far the largest catagory in IDPA. The roster for the GA match shows 20 guys shooting CDP/SS out of 235, fewer Expert & even fewer Master CDP shooters.

gary newport
10-21-2011, 15:47
Are you shooting a stock spring? The slide inertia is going to change for sure going to 185gr bullets. I haven't tried any JHP @ that low of a vel, but 200gr Berry'sFP o/ 4.9gr makes about 875fps, not a minor load by a long shot. I would suggest changing springs, as much as I hate doing that, if you are going to run the 185gr @ 750fps or so. A 230gr @ 700fps should easily run the slide & is pretty soft shooting. My 145PF minor load runs my stock XD spring, but I swap it out for a 16# to make sure. It's stupidly accurate & the brass falls right at miy right foot. It will be my gamer round for ESP. Tough to keep up with those soft shooting 9mm guys. My goal every monthly match is to beat the best 9mm guy shooting CDP & 165PF loads.:supergrin: I haven't got there yet, but getting close. ESP & SSP are by far the largest catagory in IDPA. The roster for the GA match shows 20 guys shooting CDP/SS out of 235, fewer Expert & even fewer Master CDP shooters.

Yup, stock recoil springs in all my Glocks. No on changing springs: I have (and may again) shot the G21SF in GSSF Heavy Metal division--unless I choose to shoot a G37 in that division. Stock Glock springs are required.

According to published data, naked lead bullets (which I won't use) seem to require a bit less powder for a given velocity than jacketed bullets. I wonder if plated bullets, such as the Rainier flatnosers I had left over from nearly a decade ago, or the Berry's bullets you mentioned, also get a bit more velocity out of a given powder charge than an equivalent jacketed bullet. :dunno:

I've used a G21SF in IDPA CDP and a G34 (and G19) in SSP. If my knees allow me to shoot some more IDPA, I'm thinking of focussing on CDP--the CDP shooters also move faster than me, but maybe not as fast as the ESP/SSP folks! (I'd use a G37 in a heartbeat, if .45 GAP were allowed in CDP!)

Incidentally, the partial can of WST that I had is so old that it is actually a metal can, unlike the four one-pounders of WST that I recently purchased, which are plastic. Another thing: my old WST powder is nearly black, like Bullseye, while the new WST is a much lighter gray in color.

The first WST loads with the 185-grain HPs, showed signs of great accuracy, though it was kinda tedious shooting 10-shot groups with a single-shot pistol! :supergrin:

I want a reliable Minor .45 ACP load for my G21SF/G30SF pistols for competitions where that is allowable and an advantage (GSSF, MNSL) and a Mellow Major load for possible use in CDP. The latter should be easy, but the former may take some experimentation.

fredj338
10-21-2011, 16:42
Plated are soft swaged lead w/ very thin copper plating, so they act more like a lead bullet & are often 0.001" larger, like a lead bullet, so vel are a bit higher than jacketed. With a stock spring, I would try a 230gr bullet @ low vel. Just like the 147gr/9mm guys, a heavy for caliber bullet will give you more slide inertia @ lower vel & give soft recoil w/ reliable feeding. If you G21 won't run a 185gr JHP @ 4.8gr, then I would go heavier bullet & start reducing the charge wt.
Yes, the early WST was much like AA452, darker in color. It might have even been AA452 as that was what WST morphed into. The loadign data is almost identical. Don't give up on it, I love me some WST in the 45acp.:supergrin: Besides, I hate driving upto the bay area, even for gun powder.