Way to trim brass , Without a Mess [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Way to trim brass , Without a Mess

Fwdftw
10-06-2011, 14:16
Should i trim over a bucket? lay down a cloth? idk i was hoping to do this while watching tv lol i bought the lee cutter and case length gauge

PCJim
10-06-2011, 15:32
I trim my cases over a 5gal bucket out in the garage; Possum Hollow Kwick Trimmer in a power adapter with drill. There are always some trim flakes that miss the bucket. If you're trimming by hand, the bucket will most likely catch all your trimmings. Its the rpms using the powered method that cause the misses in the garage.

If you're planning on using a cloth or other lap protector, remember that the trimmings will embed in the cloth. I'd use a sheet of plastic liner over the cloth, maybe an old shower liner?

D. Manley
10-06-2011, 17:30
Rig up a vacuum.

Fwdftw
10-06-2011, 17:32
How would you rig a vacum up im trimming with a drill and a hand tool lol

Fwdftw
10-06-2011, 17:33
I trim my cases over a 5gal bucket out in the garage; Possum Hollow Kwick Trimmer in a power adapter with drill. There are always some trim flakes that miss the bucket. If you're trimming by hand, the bucket will most likely catch all your trimmings. Its the rpms using the powered method that cause the misses in the garage.

If you're planning on using a cloth or other lap protector, remember that the trimmings will embed in the cloth. I'd use a sheet of plastic liner over the cloth, maybe an old shower liner?

Ill just do it outside :)

Colorado4Wheel
10-06-2011, 17:36
Dillon hooks up to a vac.

Fwdftw
10-06-2011, 17:47
God I wish I.had the money for a 1200

D. Manley
10-06-2011, 20:08
How would you rig a vacum up im trimming with a drill and a hand tool lol

I cut a hole the right size in the bench top and fixed the end of the vac hose coming up through and flush from underneath...just trimmed over it and it caught most of it. I don't use it any more nowadays but it did work with a shop vac although, I'd about rather clean up than listen to the noise.

njl
10-06-2011, 20:37
This is one of the things that really surprised me about the RCBS Trim Pro Power that I use for trimming. There's nothing there to catch the shavings. If you don't do something about it, you'll end up with shavings all over the bench top. I folded up a little dish out of aluminum foil and use it to catch most of the shavings.