External Hard Drive Troubles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Troubles

puckhead
10-06-2011, 22:53
I have recently tried moving around items on my HD to organize it. When I start moving more items it seems to freeze up, click once then power down a bit before powering back up. My computer bings like I unplugged it then plugged it back in. It is not getting overly hot at all. I have been running a diagnostic on it for a good hour now, and it has been running fine the whole time. Any clues? Thanks guys!

Oh, it is a Western Digital Mybook

kc8ykd
10-06-2011, 22:58
your western digital came with some diagnostic software that will interrogate the drive for it's s.m.a.r.t. stats.

you should run that and see if it's showing any errors.

you can also inspect the event logs on your computer, you'd be looking for anything "disk" related, to see if there's a potential issue with the disk itself.

you could be experiencing a failing disk, but it's difficult to tell without any hard data.

it could also be a usb issue, with that particular port or with the controller itself. you could try plugging the drive into a different machine and see if the problem follows, if it does, it's probably the cable/drive/enclosure. if it doesn't is probably something to do with the original machine.

puckhead
10-06-2011, 23:19
your western digital came with some diagnostic software that will interrogate the drive for it's s.m.a.r.t. stats.

you should run that and see if it's showing any errors.

you can also inspect the event logs on your computer, you'd be looking for anything "disk" related, to see if there's a potential issue with the disk itself.

you could be experiencing a failing disk, but it's difficult to tell without any hard data.

it could also be a usb issue, with that particular port or with the controller itself. you could try plugging the drive into a different machine and see if the problem follows, if it does, it's probably the cable/drive/enclosure. if it doesn't is probably something to do with the original machine.

Thanks for the info! I am running that diagnostic software now, so we will see what happens. Where do I find the event logs you speak of? My next line of action was to try it on another computer.

CitizenOfDreams
10-06-2011, 23:56
USB ports have really limited power capabilities, and hard drives use a lot of power compared to other devices. Not surprisingly, some external hard drives have problems (or don't work at all) with some computers.

Try your drive on another computer. Check the drive's SMART status to see if it has physical problems (CrystalDiskInfo is a nice little tool for that, http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html).

kc8ykd
10-07-2011, 00:05
Thanks for the info! I am running that diagnostic software now, so we will see what happens. Where do I find the event logs you speak of? My next line of action was to try it on another computer.

personally, i'd try it on another computer first.

then, check the diag software

then, the event logs

in that order, basically due to the increasing complexity of each step.

to view your event logs (this should be relatively similar for versions of windows from 7 to xp)

click on start and type "eventvwr.msc " in the search area.
or
click start, run and type eventvwr.msc

or, open the control panel, double click the 'administrative tools' icon, then double click on event viewer.

inside event viewer, you should have some choices on the left.

in xp, you should have 3, one called "System", click on that

in vista/7, click on "windows logs", then select "system"

you'll be looking for any events showing yellow or red marks next to them.

the software that came with the drive will allow for inspection of the drive's s.m.a.r.t. stats and isn't complicated.

puckhead
10-07-2011, 10:10
First, thanks for all the help guys!

Alright, I ran the diagnostic last night went through several phases and did not give me any error codes. I decided to check out the even log real quick and there are Yellow Warnings at the times I try to transfer items. I am able to get maybe 4 or 5 pictures off of the HD at a time. The error come up as IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE.

I will try it on a different computer here in a minute.

One other thing it is using a FAT32 system. Would changing it to the NTFS do anything? I believe the FAT32 system is limited to 4gb or something, but I am no where near that limit when transferring items.

puckhead
10-07-2011, 10:40
Alright, tried it on another computer and it seemed to do ok. Transferred a medium size folder and it did not shut down. I did use a 1.0 usb port though instead of a 2.0. Dont know if that has anything to do with it at all.

kc8ykd
10-07-2011, 13:31
changing to NTFS wouldn't make a difference unless you're working with files over 4gb in size, and it wouldn't help your situation.

so, from your testing, it looks like it's a problem with your computer somewhere.

those yellow events, can you copy and past the message here?

usb1/2 shouldn't make a difference as it relates to your problem, it makes a difference in speeds when xfering data to/from the disk tho.

puckhead
10-07-2011, 15:16
Thanks again!
I didnt think NTFS would make a difference for the stated reason either.
Here is one of the events. It is the same for all warning messages.
I did just buy a different HD with a power source other than USB so I am going to try that. What I dont get is that I used the same computer(Laptop) to put all of that stuff on the first HD.

Details Product: Windows Operating System ID: 51 Source: Disk Version: 5.2 Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation. Explanation An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.
User Action If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.
Version: 5.0 Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation. Explanation An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.
User Action If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 10/7/2011
Time: 9:53:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ****
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...ļ.
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: c4 52 86 02 00 00 00 00 ÄR†.....
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ˙˙˙˙....
0038: 40 00 00 0e 00 00 00 00 @.......
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
0048: 00 80 00 00 0a 00 00 00 .€......
0050: 00 00 00 00 70 14 80 84 ....p.€„
0058: 00 00 00 00 f0 e7 88 84 ....đįˆ„
0060: 00 00 00 00 95 54 a4 09 ....•T¤.
0068: 28 00 09 a4 54 95 00 00 (..¤T•..
0070: 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 @.......
0078: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

puckhead
10-07-2011, 15:42
Just an update. I am using a new HD with external power source(I guess thats what I would call it) on my lap top and it is working fine with some very large files.

I am thinking it is a power issue with my lap top. It must not provide enough power to the other HD I have through the USB port. Yet it does work through my PC USB port. Interesting find.

kc8ykd
10-07-2011, 15:50
ya, that's a little weird.

it's possible that particular port on the laptop isn't able to provide enough power for some reason.

it might be worth trying another port on the laptop to see if it makes a difference.

the problem disk, does that have a USB "Y" cable ? or is it just a singular usb connector. also, does it have the ability to use an external power supply?

puckhead
10-07-2011, 16:16
I tried the first HD in all of the USB slots in the lap top and no go. And that HD has a mini-USB to regular USB cord on that is it. No "Y" cable and now way to have an external power supply.

kc8ykd
10-08-2011, 16:32
it could be that the power output of the usb ports on the laptop are out of spec (low), or that the drive is trying to pull power out of spec (high) and that the desktop has enough power to accommodate it.

you can use it as a storage or backup drive for your desktop since you've got a new drive with the external power supply for your laptop

puckhead
10-10-2011, 19:04
Well I thought it worked lol. The desktop doesnt have 2.0 usb ports but still tries do transfer things, but very slowly. After about 10 minutes and a few files it throws up an error. I will be getting a new desk top shortly and will try it on that. Otherwise I will have to see about recovering the drive through a shop.