Installing new HD want to expand "C" drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing new HD want to expand "C" drive

Jumper
10-08-2011, 15:49
Hi all. I have a windows desktop running 64bit Vista ultimate with 2 hard drives. My secondary hard disk that i was using just for storage and backup failed. So my only drive now is partitioned "C" and "E" with the OS residing on C. I have a new drive enroute and when I get it I want to move E partition onto the new drive and expand C partition so it has more room. What is the best way to do this? Thanks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

kc8ykd
10-08-2011, 16:29
you can use this (free):

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

you'd install your new drive, format it and move the data from your current "e" partition over to it.

then, you'd use that utility to remove the "e" partition on your first disk and expand the "c" partition to encompass the entire drive.

it's not difficult, however, if you do it in the wrong order or click the wrong thing, you can lose data, so make sure you're not tired when you start and read what's on the screen carefully.

so, it would be like this:

1. install new disk
2. format new disk (it'll probably be called D)
3. move data from E to D
4. remove the E partition
5. expand the C partition
6. done.

depending on the amount of disk space and data, i'd expect it to take from 1/2 and hour up to a couple hours to accomplish all of those tasks.

IndyGunFreak
10-08-2011, 17:33
Copy E: to new drive(We'll assume it will be called D:)... Download a partition tool (I like Partedmagic).. Resize C: to take up space now used by E:.

MrSmoofy
10-08-2011, 18:44
Think you might be able to do this with vista and not have to use the extra tools.

Jumper
10-08-2011, 19:40
My main concern is resizing the active partition. It seems I've had trouble doing something like this before.

kc8ykd
10-08-2011, 19:48
that's what the 3rd party utility is for.

that capability is not built into any version of windows.

IndyGunFreak
10-08-2011, 21:18
My main concern is resizing the active partition. It seems I've had trouble doing something like this before.

Yeah, to my knowledge, NO Operating System allows you to resize an active partition... Windows is no exception.

You'll have to boot some sort of partition tool to do that (like I said, my fav is PartedMagic)

srhoades
10-08-2011, 23:27
I personally like Partition Wizard. Better GUI than PartedMagic.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Linux3
10-09-2011, 14:19
Yeah, to my knowledge, NO Operating System allows you to resize an active partition... Windows is no exception.

Ahem,
"man resize2fs" for ext3 and ext4.
"man xfs_growfs" is you are a xfs fan.
Growing a zfs file system is not much more involved.
http://pvaneynd.livejournal.com/138823.html

My personal favorite btrfs even has a gui for resizing any mounted partition built in.

MAC OSX supports it too.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2374

I think maybe NTFS is the only file system that can't be managed while mounted.

IndyGunFreak
10-09-2011, 14:22
Wow, I didn't know that about btrfs. I don't mess with "reiserfs"... so I didn't know much of it.

zfs is to much of a RAM hog for me to consider using..

Good info though, definitely didn't know that... it just confirms again, Windoze sucks.. ;)

MrSmoofy
10-09-2011, 14:54

You'll have to boot some sort of partition tool to do that (like I said, my fav is PartedMagic)

Windows 7 does, Windows Vista from what I remember does, Windows 2003 Server and newer does.

MrSmoofy
10-09-2011, 14:56
that's what the 3rd party utility is for.

that capability is not built into any version of windows.

Maybe not windows 95 if your still using that XP been to long for me to remember I've not used that in like 8+ years. Vista I seem to remember it was possible. Windows 7 it is, Windows 2003 Server and newer I've always been able to resize any partition to make it bigger just can't make it smaller.

kc8ykd
10-09-2011, 17:24
you're right, looks like they introduced that ability in windows vista.

Jumper
10-09-2011, 19:22
I dont have my HD yet but I'm getting ready. I opened my Disk Management utility and clicked around to see what I could do. My right click menu has an option to delete a partition but its grayed out?? Checked some of the help topics and it says you cannot delete a partition if it has the page file and a couple of other files on it:

Help topic: You cannot delete the system volume, boot volume, or any volume that contains the active paging file or crash dump (memory dump).

I'm thinking I'll install the new drive. Back up C and E drive to the new disk then re-format the old hard disk. Hmm, cant do that. I'll need my OS when I want to re-start :embarassed: Looks like even though Vista has a disk management utility, I will need a partition tool.

kc8ykd
10-09-2011, 23:36
did you click on your D partition before you opened that menu?

if so, then it sounds like your paging file is on your D partition. you can you move it to your C drive pretty easily, assuming you've got enough free space.

how much free space do you have on your C partition?

Jumper
10-10-2011, 06:39
Oops! Parted magic moved around e partition now I can't boot up.

IndyGunFreak
10-10-2011, 07:28
Oops! Parted magic moved around e partition now I can't boot up.

Say what?.. did you just not pay attention while you were doing this?

Jumper
10-10-2011, 07:28
OK I brought it back from the dead using the Startup repair utility on the OS disk. Everything looks like it was before I got ambitious with PArted Magic. This is going to be difficult I'm afraid.

Jumper
10-10-2011, 07:33
Indygunfreak - no, I dont have my new drive yet, I was just preparing for when I get it. I resized E partition and deleted an "S" partition. I think deleting the S partition is what did it because after I resuscitated my computer the E partition was re-sized but "S" partition was regenerated.

I experimented with encrypting my C drive awhile back and it automatically generated this "S" partition. Evidently even though I'm not using encryption it still needs this "S" partition to startup.

Jumper
10-12-2011, 18:01
you can use this (free):

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

you'd install your new drive, format it and move the data from your current "e" partition over to it.

then, you'd use that utility to remove the "e" partition on your first disk and expand the "c" partition to encompass the entire drive.

it's not difficult, however, if you do it in the wrong order or click the wrong thing, you can lose data, so make sure you're not tired when you start and read what's on the screen carefully.

so, it would be like this:

1. install new disk
2. format new disk (it'll probably be called D)
3. move data from E to D
4. remove the E partition
5. expand the C partition
6. done.

depending on the amount of disk space and data, i'd expect it to take from 1/2 and hour up to a couple hours to accomplish all of those tasks.

Used this advice and Got er done! Now I've got plenty of room on C and lots of storage on my second disk drive. Between EaseUs disk tool and Parted Magic, EaseUs worked much better and didn't come with a buttload of spam. I'm keeping it. Thanks for the advice.