Issues installing Blackhawk foregrip on 870 Police Mag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Issues installing Blackhawk foregrip on 870 Police Mag

Kadetklapp
10-09-2011, 14:44
For my birthday I received a Blackhawk! Specops NRS stock kit for "870 Pump Shotguns." I decided to put this to use reassembling an 870 Police Magnum I have laying around in parts. I'm finding that the Blackhawk foregrip does not clear the action bars of the 870, however. I'm not keen on "tapping" it in since that looks like a splendid way to bend or break one or both of the action bars. The only other option I see here is to take a Dremel and grind the inside of the new pump grip so it will clear the bars, then tighten it down with the nut. However, I obviously have some concerns about this. I'm wondering, is this even made to fit a Police Magnum? I don't have an other 870 to compare it to...

aippi
10-09-2011, 14:59
Have no idea what you mean by does not clear the action bars. That forend fits. There is no difference in your P model then in any 870 as Remington only makes one forend tube assembly for every 3" 12 model, which is what your weapon is.

Are you saying it will not go on to the forend tube assembly? Are you putting it on backwards? Please don't take offence but the only way that forend will not fit is if it is defective. It would then have to go back to Black Hawk.

Kadetklapp
10-09-2011, 15:37
No offense taken. I've done dumber things before. If I swap it the other way, then I cannot get the retaining nut onto the tube. The instructions don't show a real great illustration of which end goes where, so I'm playing around with it here. This 870 has been broken down into parts form for a couple of years so I'm a bit rusty on which end is "up" on the tube assembly here.

Kadetklapp
10-09-2011, 15:42
Looks like I'm not the first-

http://bfelabs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/p6210556.jpg

Taken from another board.

Here's the rest of the write-up. Pretty dissapointed that this almost $80 kit isn't even close to fitting the specified weapon.
http://bfelabs.com/2010/09/03/specops-stock-870/

aippi
10-09-2011, 21:11
Guess not the first but certainly the few. Send it back to them and demand a new one.

Kadetklapp
10-10-2011, 05:05
I worked it with the Dremel. It's on now. in unrelated news, the gun will not fire, nor will the action lock. Not sure what the deal is, but something is amiss. I notice you're a Remington armorer. Any ideas?

aippi
10-10-2011, 09:32
Call me and have the weapon in front of you. Call 231-690-0954. Anytime is fine as I am in the shop all day watching Hockey,,,,,,,,I mean working on weapons......

Kadetklapp
10-10-2011, 10:16
Thanks very much! I'm at work without it in front of me, so I'll try and catch you later. Thanks again.

Kadetklapp
10-12-2011, 14:54
Just thought I'd follow up with the issue after I emailed Blackhawk! about the problem.

Thank you for your correspondence in regards to the issue with your Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable shotgun stocks forend for the Remington 870. Please see the email below. As you can see; the solution I gave that customer, works every time .

Online Blogs are misleading and sometimes right out lie. Please contact me; if you have any questions, and I will be happy to help.

Thank you for your correspondence in regards to the issue with the forend for your Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable shotgun stock. The forend slides in to the slide tube, but stops at the beginning of the action bars; because they run into tabs on both sides. The front of the forend needs to be (tapped or pushed) hard enough; so the action bars cut through the tabs; and seats into place. If you have a rubber mallet, proceed to Tap (not to hard) the front of the forend. If you do not have a rubber mallet; then a block of wood and a hammer will do. The block of wood is to protect the forend. It should take only one or two hits to seat the forend. The tabs were put there to help give the forend a firm side to side feel.

Please call me and let me know if you have any questions, and I will be happy to assist you in the installation.

Best regards,

I find it troubling that it is recommended to beat the stock on with a hammer. I tried this by gently using a soft mallet to tap it a bit, and watched one of the action bars bend itself several degrees towards the inside. The icing on the cake here is that he claims it's supposed to be that way to ensure proper fitment. Um...right.

I think I'll take my business elsewhere in the future.

aippi
10-12-2011, 16:36
Oh my my......... and if you bust the braising where the action bars are attached to the forend tube assembly is Black Hawk going to send the $40 to get a new one.

I was a Knoxx dealer and cried when the sold to these clowns. I still use the SpecOps even after they cheapened it. Look at a Knoxx SpecOps and then at the Black Hawk. SEE...... Anyway, the stock still works so I still feature them for those who can't afford the Mesa with Endine Buffer.

These clowns had a bad mold from the China manufacturer that makes that forend and can't get them to correct since they most likely gave the China manufacturer the messurement. So this clown tells people to do this. This one wins the cake for sure.

DO NOT BEAT ON THE FOREND AND DAMAGE THE FOREND TUBE ASSEMBLY PEOPLE....

Kadetklapp
10-12-2011, 17:13
The more I think about it the madder I get. Here's the info from the guy who responded to my complaint-

John B. Brantley

Customer Service Representative

ATK Accessories – BLACKHAWK!

ATK Security and Sporting

6160 Commander Parkway

Norfolk, VA 23502-2052 USA

Office: 800.694.5263 x3243

Fax: 888.830.2013

Email: john.brantley@atk.com

Follow us on:

Federal Premium: Facebook | YouTube

BLACKHAWK!: Facebook | YouTube

"HONOR. As A Way Of Life."

mdehoogh
10-13-2011, 10:07
I had the exact same problem except with a Mossberg forend. I won an ebay auction for like $5 and it claimed it was for the longer Mossberg pump assembly but I could not get it installed. I emailed Blackhawk (just checked my email and I dealt with Mr. Brantley too) and they sent me a brand new one and told me to keep the old one.

Turns out, the new one they sent was identical to the one I had that wouldn't install. I have a gun with the 7-5/8" forend and both Blackhawk forends I now had were made for the 7-5/8" pump. I ended up cutting part of the forend and sanding the inside slightly so it would fit over the pump assembly. Worked out pretty well and I was happy with how quickly they took care of me. I posted a thread on shotgunworld about my experience and a couple of others noted that they'd had similar problems. I still couldn't understand how neither of them fit because the model number in their database for my gun was the same number molded into the forend.

glockenturm
10-18-2011, 21:42
Be aware of the fact the forend will not work with a side saddle. If you plan on getting a saddle in the future you will have to switch it back out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine