Looks like I might be academy bound [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I might be academy bound

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 18:27
Had my psych on Friday to finish out the application process for the current department that I have been working on for a while. After our drug test and academy life brief, we were provided a shopping list of cadet uniforms, as well as all of the other stuff like PT clothes and various supplies.

I have yet to receive my official letter, but that should be here in the coming week or two, according to the HR lady. My report date will be November 14, and it will be a class size of about 80 cadets.

Just wanted to say thanks a ton to everybody here for all of the advice thus far. The academy for the Staties here is 27 weeks, and I am very anxious to start.

Goldendog Redux
10-09-2011, 18:35
Jesus, 27 weeks. Ugh. I am sure it will be fun though. Not that we need to tell you but make sure you have all of your siht together day one then commence to disappearing in the crowd.

MF

Vigilant
10-09-2011, 18:39
Outstanding. Full steam ahead.

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 18:42
Jesus, 27 weeks. Ugh. I am sure it will be fun though. Not that we need to tell you but make sure you have all of your siht together day one then commence to disappearing in the crowd.

MF

Sir, yes Sir. I will make sure to disappear and go un-noticed as much as possible. It is a para-military academy and department. I picked up on quite a re things by watching the current cadets on Friday.

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 18:43
Outstanding. Full steam ahead.

Thanks very much! :wavey:

msu_grad_121
10-09-2011, 18:43
Jesus, 27 weeks. Ugh.

This. I was ready to lose my mind in a 18 week academy. Tack on 9 more and I'd be a drooling, babbling idiot! (Insert command/admin joke here)

Congrats and good luck! Remember, this is going to be very trying, and they're going to want to see if you quit, but this is also the most fun you're likely to have in LE. Where else can you go and drive fast, beat up bad guys and shoot guns EVERY DAY?! :wavey:

Keep us posted!

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 18:48
This. I was ready to lose my mind in a 18 week academy. Tack on 9 more and I'd be a drooling, babbling idiot! (Insert command/admin joke here)

Congrats and good luck! Remember, this is going to be very trying, and they're going to want to see if you quit, but this is also the most fun you're likely to have in LE. Where else can you go and drive fast, beat up bad guys and shoot guns EVERY DAY?! :wavey:

Keep us posted!

Thanks and I will post as much as I safely can on the weekends that I am allowed to come home. I am very excited, and a little nervous. I know that I will be physically and mentally exhausted on a daily basis. The academics are as tough for this academy as the PT. I will suck it up every day knowing that I am working towards my dream career.

I have worked very hard for this. I have lost 60 pounds so far and run over 3.5 miles 4-5 days per week to prepare. I started training physically back in April.

Dragoon44
10-09-2011, 18:48
I just wanna know how you cheated on the psych test to pass it.

:tongueout::rofl:

Congrats the great adventure begins.

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 18:53

:tongueout::rofl:

Congrats the great adventure begins.

I just told them that I know a crusty old retired cop in another part of the country that said not to draw pictures of things on fire. They said that I was already well versed in the tactics of not appearing crazy and let me skip the test and go home for the day. :supergrin:

The big joke of the day was somebody saying they hoped we all studied for the drug test :rofl:

mntrpr
10-09-2011, 18:53
Dude good luck. If they told me I would have to repeat the academy to keep my job, I'd tell them to come get their stuff....it will be in the street. :wavey:

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 18:56
Dude good luck. If they told me I would have to repeat the academy to keep my job, I'd tell them to come get their stuff....it will be in the street. :wavey:

Don't blame you one bit for that. I think this will be one of those things that I will feel happy to accomplish, but something that I would hope to never have to do again.

Patchman
10-09-2011, 19:05
You'll be walking on eggshells until Nov. 14.

IIRC, you previously posted this academy is a stay-away. Which means in about 10 to 12 weeks time, all you cadets will be getting cabin fever and will be ready to kill each other. Did somebody already mention that to you? :whistling:

Congratulations!

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 19:09
You'll be walking on eggshells until Nov. 14.

IIRC, you previously posted this academy is a stay-away. Which means in about 10 to 12 weeks time, all you cadets will be getting cabin fever and will be ready to kill each other. Did somebody already mention that to you? :whistling:

Congratulations!

I have been on eggshells for a long time now over this process. And good memory. It is indeed a stay away academy. They allow you certain weekends to come home. The good news is that only two cadets share a room together and not 50 like in the military. I am sure we will get on each others nerves at times, but I talked to quite a few people there who will potentially be in my class, and they seemed like a great group.

Patchman
10-09-2011, 19:14
I think this will be one of those things that I will feel happy to accomplish, but something that I would hope to never have to do again.

Remember, for the academy phase of your career, graduating is the goal.

So between now and Day 1 of the academy, the goal should be to maintain your current physical condition. Don't push yourself so hard that you'll end up with a physical injury.

When you're in the academy, the goal is to graduate. So don't do anything physically crazy or beyond your abilities that you'll get injured and can't continue, and thus have to get recycled through the next class.

Patchman
10-09-2011, 19:19
I have been on eggshells for a long time now over this process.

I am sure we will get on each others nerves at times, but I talked to quite a few people there who will potentially be in my class, and they seemed like a great group.

On both points, oh believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet. :supergrin:

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 19:20
Remember, for the academy phase, graduating is the goal.

So between now and Day 1 of the academy, the goal should be to maintain your current physical condition. Don't push yourself so hard that you'll end up with a physical injury.

When you're in the academy, the goal is to graduate. So don't do anything physically crazy or beyond your abilities that you'll get injured and can't continue, and thus have to get recycled through the next class.

I sincerely appreciate the great advice. I have been thinking about this myself a lot lately as well actually. I am going to try to maybe lose a couple more pounder by then, but not push like I have been the last six months. I will maintain what I progress I have made, like you suggested. I also plan to do just enough to keep the instructors off of my back, and not push super hard and end up getting recycled. I know a Trooper whose daughter is starting over in November for the third time because of a re-occurring knee injury that she got while trying to outrun the guys on a formation run. I hope she males it this time through, but I only want to experience this all only one time.

bmoore
10-09-2011, 20:00
Congrats man, work hard it will be over before you know it. Then after a few years you can come over and be a Fireman with the rest of the men. Just kidding, congrats.

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 20:03
Congrats man, work hard it will be over before you know it. Then after a few years you can come over and be a Fireman with the rest of the men. Just kidding, congrats.

:rofl: I appreciate the kind words. :wavey:

indigent
10-09-2011, 20:54
I just finished the academy 3 weeks ago. 7 long months.

Good luck and be really good at disappearing.

KiloBravo
10-09-2011, 21:38
I just finished the academy 3 weeks ago. 7 long months.

Good luck and be really good at disappearing.

Thanks for the advice! I promise to do everything I can not to stick out. I will just do what I have to do and try to enjoy the fun stuff when it comes around.

lawman800
10-09-2011, 22:32
Keep your head down and get through the whole academy. Don't be a star.

Then the real adventure begins!

4949shooter
10-10-2011, 04:56
Congrats!

You want to blend in while you are there. The guys/gals whose names the instructors knew (or at least said all the time) were the guys/gals that were kicked out, or forced out.

Night time fire drills and guard duty will keep you from a regular sleep cycle. The instructors are preparing you for the odd work hours.

Having to "make way" for the instructors and other troopers is not an ego thing. The purpose is to get you to use your peripheral vision, and teach you to keep aware of your surroundings.

The stress training is just that...stress training. It is not meant to be taken personal even though often it will seem that way.

You seem to have the right attitude, and I think you will do fine. I know I am across the river, but if you need anything feel free to reach out to me.

One last thing...my academy class started out with 144 recruits, and graduated 82. The name tags of each and every recruit who did not make it were pinned to the bulletin board at the back of the main class room. I didn't want my name on that board...

Good luck to you.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 05:07
Congrats!

You want to blend in while you are there. The guys/gals whose names the instructors knew (or at least said all the time) were the guys/gals that were kicked out, or forced out.

Night time fire drills and guard duty will keep you from a regular sleep cycle. The instructors are preparing you for the odd work hours.

Having to "make way" for the instructors and other troopers is not an ego thing. The purpose is to get you to use your peripheral vision, and teach you to keep aware of your surroundings.

The stress training is just that...stress training. It is not meant to be taken personal even though often it will seem that way.

You seem to have the right attitude, and I think you will do fine. I know I am across the river, but if you need anything feel free to reach out to me.

One last thing...my academy class started out with 144 recruits, and graduated 82. The name tags of each and every recruit who did not make it were pinned to the bulletin board at the back of the main class room. I didn't want my name on that board...

Good luck to you.

Thank you Sir. I appreciate the kind words and offer. What you said about having to snap to attention and make way for ranking Troopers makes complete sense now. I had no idea why they had cadets do that. It seems like everything they will have me do has a meaning and reason for doing it. I plan to lay as low as possible. I ordered another item for the list of needed stuff this morning as well. :supergrin:

Agent6-3/8
10-10-2011, 07:03
Congrats, man! Just do exactly what is asked of you 110% and you'll be fine! What the instructors want to see is that you have the heart to be there and that you are giving a max effort every time.

My academy was 30 weeks of torment. 4949 is right on the money, everything really does have a purpose behind it, as mindless as it may seem. (well, for the most part. I'll swear to the day I die of the tormet we were subjected to was simply for the sadistic pleasure of our instructors)

One last note. You really can't hide, IMO, not when you're in a long, state run academy. The staff will know who you are and what you're about sooner or later. When the end finally comes, the guys at the post you get assigned to will know about you before you get there. Its up to you what they know..."this boot is squared away and gets it done" or "this boot's are real ****stick." Day one you start building your reputation. Suffer in silence, give your max every day and it will serve you well both during and after the academy.

Officer X
10-10-2011, 07:52
Congrats!

4949 had some solid advice there. Just remember when they're messing with you at the academy, there's a reason for everything, they're trying to test you all the time and see if you have the mental and intestinal fortitude to make it, don't take it personal.

On your weekends off, lay low. We had a few instances of guys getting in trouble in the bars down the shore or even just getting seen out bragging about the academy that the instructors heard about and we all paid for it Monday morning when we got back to the academy.

4949shooter
10-10-2011, 07:58
On your weekends off, lay low. We had a few instances of guys getting in trouble in the bars down the shore or even just getting seen out bragging about the academy that the instructors heard about and we all paid for it Monday morning when we got back to the academy.

This is one thing I forgot to mention. I had a classmate who was under the legal age to drink and got caught in a bar over one of the weekends. They bounced him out of the academy ASAP.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 08:33
This is one thing I forgot to mention. I had a classmate who was under the legal age to drink and got caught in a bar over one of the weekends. They bounced him out of the academy ASAP.

I had thought about this too, and you and Officer X mentioning it hits home the fact that bars are bad news in general. I have never been in one where somebody did not try starting a fight. I avoid them like the plague anyway. I am also not a big drinker, so I will probably not have much if any at all during training. I don't need my mind to get clouded up because of alcohol when I will need to be studying every free minute that I get.

Thanks everybody! I am pumped to go! :wavey:

DaBigBR
10-10-2011, 09:08
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. Play their games, learn everything you can, do your best, and don't stick out. Squeeze every bit of knowledge out of that place that you can manage. When you get to leave on weekends, don't **** around. Go home, go out with the family, go to a movie, but stay the **** away from bars, strip clubs, and parties. If you're going to have an adult beverage, have it at home.

Luli
10-10-2011, 09:51
Ahh, my fond memories of the academy... There was that day they sprayed OC all over my face. Then there was that day, no wait, all I remember is OC day.... I think I blacked out the rest. :crying:

Bushido5150
10-10-2011, 09:58
Don't complain. If you're hurt then you are hurt.
Don't be a know it all.
Don't be the guy who tries to tell the instructors about his ride along experience and how much you know about law enforcement.

You will get sick of your squad mates at some point. Just try to find a like minded buddy to suffer with.

My academy was 10 months, it was grueling but also a lot of fun.
try to have some fun because some day you'll miss it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hunca Munca
10-10-2011, 12:01
Don't expect to get home on all of those weekends. I heard it from a grey-clad birdie that instructors will find things wrong on inspections and whatnot to keep people there. Don't make concrete plans for a weekend until you are actually home!

:wavey:

mixflip
10-10-2011, 12:08
Whoa 27 weeks! Does that include field training? Over here, you graduate, (get your P.O.S.T. certificate) then go on to field training.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 12:53
Whoa 27 weeks! Does that include field training? Over here, you graduate, (get your P.O.S.T. certificate) then go on to field training.

Negative Sir. 27 weeks for the academy, then an additional 8 weeks of field training, then another year of probation. :cool:

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 12:54
Don't expect to get home on all of those weekends. I heard it from a grey-clad birdie that instructors will find things wrong on inspections and whatnot to keep people there. Don't make concrete plans for a weekend until you are actually home!

:wavey:

That is funny. The Trooper who did my background investigation told me the same thing. :whistling: I appreciate the tip!

trdvet
10-10-2011, 14:56
Congrats.......Now, don't do anything stupid. Do what they tell you and you'll be fine. Don't worry about anything else but to pass the academy, FTO and all the other stuff will come in time. Be careful what you post online, there are people who don't like you and will try to screw you just because you're a Police Officer.

One last thing, don't be "that" guy. After the first week take a look around, if you don't see "that" guy then you're it.

Goldendog Redux
10-10-2011, 15:14
Negative Sir. 27 weeks for the academy, then an additional 8 weeks of field training, then another year of probation. :cool:

They should take the 8 useless weeks of academy and put them into the FTO program.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 15:14
Congrats.......Now, don't do anything stupid. Do what they tell you and you'll be fine. Don't worry about anything else but to pass the academy, FTO and all the other stuff will come in time. Be careful what you post online, there are people who don't like you and will try to screw you just because you're a Police Officer.

One last thing, don't be "that" guy. After the first week take a look around, if you don't see "that" guy then you're it.

I understand. Thanks very much for the sound advice! :wavey:

In some weird sort of way, I am looking forward to it. Some of it might not be so much fun, but the driving, firearms, and simulator look like a total blast.

BamaTrooper
10-10-2011, 15:24

Was that an echo? :whistling:

Officer X
10-10-2011, 16:07

We had an incident one morning where our instructors had us in formation and read a postcard that had been sent to one of our classmates from his "friends". It basically asked how he was doing and was the academy still as easy and a joke like he had told them. Then it went on to ask if certain troopers were still instructing there and had some unflattering comments about them.

We all paid for that one. Still don't know if this guy's friends really did it to cause him trouble or if the troopers made it up for giggles to harass us. They did that often, they would be dressing down a guy in class and sometimes I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at some of the things they came out with.

Patchman
10-10-2011, 17:09
Well, since we're giving advise, here's one.

Don't "indulge" over Thanksgiving Day and New Years Eve.

This year New Years eve falls on a Saturday, so anyone who celebrates too hardy has Sunday to recover.

Assuming they let you guys off for Thanksgiving Day but resume classes the day after (Friday), watch out. My experience is that the gym instructor on that Friday will be a runner. And he/she will take pleasure in seeing who over-indulged on Thanksgiving day by having an extended run.

wjv
10-10-2011, 17:28

Before answering each question he would think: "What would Dragoon say. . ." And then answer just the opposite. .

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 19:14
Well, since we're giving advise, here's one.

Don't "indulge" over Thanksgiving Day and New Years Eve.

This year New Years eve falls on a Saturday, so anyone who celebrates too hardy has Sunday to recover.

Assuming they let you guys off for Thanksgiving Day but resume classes the day after (Friday), watch out. My experience is that the gym instructor on that Friday will be a runner. And he/she will take pleasure in seeing who over-indulged on Thanksgiving day by having an extended run.

Ahhh...that is something I had not thought about! It makes sense though. Thanks for the tip! I will make sure to keep this in mind. :wavey:

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 19:16
Before answering each question he would think: "What would Dragoon say. . ." And then answer just the opposite. .

Exactly! :supergrin:

ClydeG19
10-10-2011, 19:31
Greensburg or Hershey? I've heard Greensburg is tougher, but that's just hearsay. Like others have said, just try to fit in. Don't try to be a superstar but don't be last place either. By the end of the academy, my class sergeant still pronounced my name incorrectly. That's what you want.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 19:46
Greensburg or Hershey? I've heard Greensburg is tougher, but that's just hearsay. Like others have said, just try to fit in. Don't try to be a superstar but don't be last place either. By the end of the academy, my class sergeant still pronounced my name incorrectly. That's what you want.

Hershey. Did you go through the state academy here as well?

razdog76
10-10-2011, 19:50
Just think of the power of radar you will get to possess.:supergrin:

Good luck.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 20:11
Just think of the power of radar you will get to possess.:supergrin:

Good luck.

If that was meant to be a Trooper joke, that is the best one that I have heard since I started the process, and I have heard a lot of them. :supergrin:

Hack
10-10-2011, 20:16
Not much from me that hasn't already been said. Needless to say I work and train, and have trained in a different paradigm. Hope it all works out for you. Trust yourself to do the right things, and do not let negativity affect you, as it surely will try to come your way. A positive attitude is going to work wonders for you.

I liken academy to what I have experienced in US Army basic training. Mine actually wasn't as rough as some LE academies, but the mind games were ever present. Also at that stage of US Army training they were trying to get people through it as long as they were willing to put forth the effort. There were enough who went out on their own from basic, for various reasons.

The funny thing is for me that I actually look back and laugh, and miss some of the good times I had there. Correctional academies between two different agencies were not that difficult. But as I say that is a whole different paradigm in comparison to most other types of LE training and careers.

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 20:25
Not much from me that hasn't already been said. Needless to say I work and train, and have trained in a different paradigm. Hope it all works out for you. Trust yourself to do the right things, and do not let negativity affect you, as it surely will try to come your way. A positive attitude is going to work wonders for you.

I liken academy to what I have experienced in US Army basic training. Mine actually wasn't as rough as some LE academies, but the mind games were ever present. Also at that stage of US Army training they were trying to get people through it as long as they were willing to put forth the effort. There were enough who went out on their own from basic, for various reasons.

The funny thing is for me that I actually look back and laugh, and miss some of the good times I had there. Correctional academies between two different agencies were not that difficult. But as I say that is a whole different paradigm in comparison to most other types of LE training and careers.

I think a lot of what you say makes sense Hack. Thank you for your service, and I promise to ever maintain a good positive attitude. :wavey:

razdog76
10-10-2011, 20:29
If that was meant to be a Trooper joke, that is the best one that I have heard since I started the process, and I have heard a lot of them. :supergrin:

While doing some training at the old NCLETTC, I learned about this from some PA Officers at the subway I was eating lunch at, and was like WTF.

I, like many Officers in the U.S. use it daily. In fact, used it this morning.:supergrin:

KiloBravo
10-10-2011, 20:40
While doing some training at the old NCLETTC, I learned about this from some PA Officers at the subway I was eating lunch at, and was like WTF.

I, like many Officers in the U.S. use it daily. In fact, used it this morning.:supergrin:

I feel fortunate to be applying for a department that is authorized to use it, but it seems seriously goofy to me in all honesty. I read up on the history of that ruling before, and it almost all seemed like BS to me then too. Haha

lawman800
10-11-2011, 01:47
I just ran into a cadet who was in week five at the academy. He asked for advice, I gave him the basics which others have said:

Don't be a star. You will get your turn, trust me, you don't want it.

Don't be the guy who repeats what the instructor says. It won't win you points with anyone, especially your class mates.

Don't be the guy who always has a question at the end of the class when the instructor says, "okay, that's it for me, any questions?" If you have a legit question, fine. But if you are just wasting time and everyone had to stay and listen and sit in formation while you indulge yourself, be prepared to be lonely for the rest of the academy.

Don't name drop to the instructors. Nobody is impressed. We got a guy who has family in high places who got no help, especially when the names came out. They said let him earn it like everyone else.

Don't be a know it all. You don't know it all. You actually don't know anything!

I'll check back with you to see how many of those guys you have in your class. We all had to suffer those fools. My class started with 60. We graduated 39. A lot of guys got bounced on probation for stupid stuff. Be careful. Don't take any risks. It takes very little to lose your career before it even starts.

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 05:17
I just ran into a cadet who was in week five at the academy. He asked for advice, I gave him the basics which others have said:

Don't be the guy who repeats what the instructor says. It won't win you points with anyone, especially your class mates.

Don't be the guy who always has a question at the end of the class when the instructor says, "okay, that's it for me, any questions?" If you have a legit question, fine. But if you are just wasting time and everyone had to stay and listen and sit in formation while you indulge yourself, be prepared to be lonely for the rest of the academy.

Don't name drop to the instructors. Nobody is impressed. We got a guy who has family in high places who got no help, especially when the names came out. They said let him earn it like everyone else.

Don't be a know it all. You don't know it all. You actually don't know anything!

I'll check back with you to see how many of those guys you have in your class. We all had to suffer those fools. My class started with 60. We graduated 39. A lot of guys got bounced on probation for stupid stuff. Be careful. Don't take any risks. It takes very little to lose your career before it even starts.

Thanks Lawman. I will take everything to heart. They are planning to start a class of about 80 cadets. I am sure we will lose good people for reasons that could have been avoided. I hope that I am wrong on that, and I hope that I am not one of them.

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 08:22
Just a quick update...

It is official. I got a reply from the HR department stating that both Doctors have approved me to go to the next Cadet class! I should receive my offer of employment in the mail in the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks again everybody for all of your support, and please keep the advice coming! :wavey:

Goldendog Redux
10-11-2011, 09:18
I won top academic at my academy so don't come back here without an award:whistling:

DaBigBR
10-11-2011, 09:51
Just a quick update...

It is official. I got a reply from the HR department stating that both Doctors have approved me to go to the next Cadet class! I should receive my offer of employment in the mail in the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks again everybody for all of your support, and please keep the advice coming! :wavey:

Cool!

I won top academic at my academy so don't come back here without an award:whistling:

Same here! I beat out (no joke) a retired college professor with a PhD...and I didn't study. The two years of reserve time helped.

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 10:00

I will try not to let you all down. ;)

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 10:01
Cool!

Same here! I beat out (no joke) a retired college professor with a PhD...and I didn't study. The two years of reserve time helped.

I have no previous LE or military experience, but I am very motivated to do well, and I learn quickly. I am hoping those two traits carry me through.

JohnnyReb
10-11-2011, 11:22
Good luck

CJStudent
10-11-2011, 11:26
Congrats, man!

trdvet
10-11-2011, 15:08
Just a quick update...

Congrats

It will be interesting to see your transformation into becoming a Police Officer.

series1811
10-11-2011, 15:12

Good advice. Your goal should be that not one of the instructors can remember your name when you graduate. Be the gray man. :supergrin:

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 15:13
Congrats

It will be interesting to see your transformation into becoming a Police Officer.

I am very interested to see this as well. I think that I posses some qualities that it takes to be a good cop, but realize that I know nothing about the job. I am taking the approach of going in with a totally empty noggin, and will soak up as much as I can without letting any previous knowledge get in the way.

lawman800
10-11-2011, 15:45
Hmmm... I am also the top academic award guy from my academy with a score of 299/300 weighted after all was said and done. Not that it made much difference after a few years on the job. Your work and who you are speaks more about you than academy standing.

Goldendog Redux
10-11-2011, 16:37
Hmmm... I am also the top academic award guy from my academy with a score of 299/300 weighted after all was said and done. Not that it made much difference after a few years on the job. Your work and who you are speaks more about you than academy standing.

True. Actually being perceived as "smart" can actually be a detriment initially because they will all say "he may be book smart but does he have any common sense" If I had won top Cadet in the category of "Watching Sportscenter and knowing the starting offensive line for the Michigan Wolverines" I would have gotten a ticker tape parade and been able to skip FTO all together.

lawman800
10-11-2011, 17:07
That was actually commented about me more than once after an interview where the captain and the rest of the panel said that I had the book smarts but they worried about if I can be street smart in dealing with the thugs.

Patchman
10-11-2011, 18:57
Just a quick update...

Congratulations.

You know how at amusement park rides there's a sign that says "You must be this tall to enter ride?" Well, they just let you pass through that sign.

razdog76
10-11-2011, 19:39
That was actually commented about me more than once after an interview where the captain and the rest of the panel said that I had the book smarts but they worried about if I can be street smart in dealing with the thugs.

I got to read the notes taken when I interviewed for my current job of 12 years, and was surprised... almost seemed like the interviewer was at another interview.

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 19:43
Congratulations.

You know how at amusement park rides there's a sign that says "You must be this tall to enter ride?" Well, they just let you pass through that sign.

I sure do know...there is a giant amusement park across from the road to the academy. :supergrin: That is a good thing too...as I am kind of short at only 5' 11" :embarassed:

razdog76
10-11-2011, 19:54
I sure do know...there is a giant amusement park across from the road to the academy. :supergrin: That is a good thing too...as I am kind of short at only 5' 11" :embarassed:

Well, don't forget the walk of shame to get off of the ride if you did something bad to get past the sign.:supergrin:

Sonnytoo
10-11-2011, 19:57
Good for you.

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 20:03
Well, don't forget the walk of shame to get off of the ride if you did something bad to get past the sign.:supergrin:

I will keep that in mind. :whistling: I hope that I don't have any time throughout my stay there to ride any of the rides. I should be busy studying or training. :wavey:

The Fist Of Goodness
10-11-2011, 20:09

I had that guy in my FLETC basic class. He would ask random questions that were unrelated to anything we learned during the class. He delayed the class getting out early over a holiday weekend to debate the firearms instructors about the "fleeing felon" policies.

Unfortunately for me, we were both assigned to the same office, and have worked together for 16 years.

Nothing has changed.:faint:

MeefZah
10-11-2011, 20:46
Good luck.

If you get over to the post near Warren and Youngsville, tell "Hoss" I said hello! :wavey:

Seriously.

KiloBravo
10-11-2011, 20:56
Good luck.

If you get over to the post near Warren and Youngsville, tell "Hoss" I said hello! :wavey:

Seriously.

I will keep that in mind...and thanks! :wavey:

lawman800
10-11-2011, 21:27
I had that guy in my FLETC basic class. He would ask random questions that were unrelated to anything we learned during the class. He delayed the class getting out early over a holiday weekend to debate the firearms instructors about the "fleeing felon" policies.

Unfortunately for me, we were both assigned to the same office, and have worked together for 16 years.

Nothing has changed.:faint:

Yes. We had a genius who debated the meaning of democracy with the instructor. He got nicknamed "Freedom Fighter".

Panzergrenadier1979
10-12-2011, 06:00
Don't get hurt.

Don't get noticed.

Mentally prepare yourself to give-up every form of entertainment for the next 27 weeks: Allow nothing else to enter your mind. Your only goal and sole purpose in life is now to graduate. Study, study, study, study, study.

KiloBravo
10-12-2011, 06:45
Don't get hurt.

Don't get noticed.

Mentally prepare yourself to give-up every form of entertainment for the next 27 weeks: Allow nothing else to enter your mind. Your only goal and sole purpose in life is now to graduate. Study, study, study, study, study.

Will do Sir! :wavey: I will let you know what Troop I am assigned too closer to graduation. One of the ones I am going to select as a preference is actually going to be close to you, from what I remember you saying before. :supergrin:

Panzergrenadier1979
10-12-2011, 09:27
Will do Sir! :wavey: I will let you know what Troop I am assigned too closer to graduation. One of the ones I am going to select as a preference is actually going to be close to you, from what I remember you saying before. :supergrin:

Yup. My offer still stands.

ALSO.....you could come out and run radar for us.... :whistling:

KiloBravo
10-12-2011, 09:31

Count on it! :supergrin: I wouldn't mind that at all. We might want to wait until I am finished with field training first though. :rofl:

razdog76
10-12-2011, 10:19
Count on it! :supergrin: I wouldn't mind that at all. We might want to wait until I am finished with field training first though. :rofl:

Nah, show'em how much of a real go-getter you are!:whistling:

DaBigBR
10-12-2011, 11:34
Don't get hurt.

If you do get hurt, speak the **** up. Their goal is to get you through, and putting more strain on an injury will likely not help you complete the program.

lawman800
10-12-2011, 11:57

This ain't highway. You ain't got no jurisdiction.

Goldendog Redux
10-12-2011, 12:06
Don't get hurt.

I got wicked tendinitis in both knees about six weeks in to an academy I was putting myself through. I had to drop because I could not run. It sucked. But it all worked out.

MF