Light primer strikes... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Light primer strikes...

Shadyscott69
10-09-2011, 18:58
I am running a G22 in competitions with a Zev Tech sping kit and Ghost connector. Went to the rang tonight to try out some new loads for 40 minor. Nice soft shooting 180's. Problem is, and it is a new problem, I had about 25 light strikes in 300 rounds.

I am fairly sure it is because of the new brick of CCI primers I used on these rounds. I have never had a problem with CCI's before. I generally use Federals and I know they are softer. Just couldn't find any locally.

Now my question...

Has anyone had success in this situation with a Ti striker? I would really like to be able to use whatever primers are available. Thanks.

BTW, it wasn't just my gun. My buddies G35 with a Wolf kit was doing exactly the same thing with these loads.

Maine1
10-09-2011, 19:01
the ONLY time i have had problems with a light FP strike was when my firing pin channel was gunky. This is with any primer, and i have used them all at one time or another. Even a relatively small amount of crud can cause problems in that location. Might have a brass/lead shaving in there, even if you just scrubbed it down before shooting.

Shadyscott69
10-09-2011, 19:14
the ONLY time i have had problems with a light FP strike was when my firing pin channel was gunky. This is with any primer, and i have used them all at one time or another. Even a relatively small amount of crud can cause problems in that location. Might have a brass/lead shaving in there, even if you just scrubbed it down before shooting.

I understand what you are saying, but that is not the case here. We are both running very light spring kits. Both guns were just stripped and cleaned to include the striker channel. I know it is partially the light striker springs causing this.

Tpro
10-09-2011, 19:46
Did you try to shoot them a second time? If so, did they go off? If they did you didn't seat the primer deep enough. My Lyman manual says the primers need to be "pre-crushed" when being installed by the press.

IT0
10-09-2011, 19:50

Had the same issue only I was the one getting gunk in there during cleaning.

Shadyscott69
10-09-2011, 19:52
Did you try to shoot them a second time? If so, did they go off? If they did you didn't seat the primer deep enough. My Lyman manual says the primers need to be "pre-crushed" when being installed by the press.

Yes. Some did, most didn't on the second time. Primers were seated to my normal depth.

Tpro
10-09-2011, 21:10
Yes. Some did, most didn't on the second time. Primers were seated to my normal depth.

So is it possible that some of the CCI primers are bad? Never heard that before (only Wolf and Tula have I seen complaints on) about CCI.

ImpeachObama
10-09-2011, 22:17
Call Wolf up and get some new springs. Tell them what is going on and they will get you what you need to lower the chance of this happening. I had a similar problem with changing springs and using a 3.5 lb Ghost trigger.

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 07:33
I understand what you are saying, but that is not the case here. We are both running very light spring kits. Both guns were just stripped and cleaned to include the striker channel. I know it is partially the light striker springs causing this.

I run a reduced rate Wolf Spring, Stock striker on my G34 for years. I only run CCI and NEVER have issues with light strikes. Then I switched to a different press and it was nothing but trouble even if they were seated flush. So it's not just the primers. Check the press. Make sure everything is perfect. I think CCI's are marginal with light weight striker springs. They have to be perfect or they don't work.

Tpro
10-10-2011, 09:46
I am running a G22 in competitions with a Zev Tech sping kit and Ghost connector. Went to the rang tonight to try out some new loads for 40 minor. Nice soft shooting 180's. Problem is, and it is a new problem, I had about 25 light strikes in 300 rounds.

I am fairly sure it is because of the new brick of CCI primers I used on these rounds. I have never had a problem with CCI's before. I generally use Federals and I know they are softer. Just couldn't find any locally.

Now my question...

Has anyone had success in this situation with a Ti striker? I would really like to be able to use whatever primers are available. Thanks.

BTW, it wasn't just my gun. My buddies G35 with a Wolf kit was doing exactly the same thing with these loads.

So now the question is what press are you using. It's a fair question, since it could be an issue.

ron59
10-10-2011, 10:18
I had the same results. I have a trigger kit with the 6 pound trigger spring and 4 pound striker spring. I would get 6-7 light strikes per 100 with the CCIs. With Federals? Never the first light strike, so I don't think it's how I'm seating them, or I would have at least the occasional issue occur.

Back before I installed this trigger kit, I never had problems with the CCIs. So, for me... with the kit, just use Federals, no problems.

Boxerglocker
10-10-2011, 13:14
OP you failed to mention if you retried firing the first time strike failures. Until we know it's all speculation. For the record. I have a Ghost rocket connector, with reduced firing pin spring, stock firing pin and OEM trigger spring in my G34. I've never had issues with CCI and actually primarily used Wolf/Tula SPP's.

ron59
10-10-2011, 14:33
OP you failed to mention if you retried firing the first time strike failures. Until we know it's all speculation. For the record. I have a Ghost rocket connector, with reduced firing pin, stock, stock firing pin and trigger spring in my G34. I've never had issues with CCI and actually primarily used Wolf/Tula SPP's.

So you have a reduced firing pin spring AND stock firing pin spring in your 34? So how does that work, LOL.

Looks like I have a new sig line quote ..

Tpro
10-10-2011, 16:16
OP you failed to mention if you retried firing the first time strike failures. Until we know it's all speculation. For the record. I have a Ghost rocket connector, with reduced firing pin, stock, stock firing pin and trigger spring in my G34. I've never had issues with CCI and actually primarily used Wolf/Tula SPP's.

BG he answered it in post #6. That's why I asked about CCI primers not going off. I've only used about 2500 CCI primers. The other 35,000 or so have been Wolf. So I didn't feel comfortabl;e saying the CCI wouldn't go off.

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 16:18
Press is an LnL. I guess I could have been more clear in my OP.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt it is the CCI primers causing the problem. I have loaded and shot several thousand rounds in the last couple months and never had a problem with this setup. The ONLY thing that has changed is the switch to the CCI primers.

I am pretty sure I could switch back to Federals and solve the issue. I am trying to avoid being required to use only Federals. We all know how availability can go concerning primers.

I ordered a LS lightened steel striker last night. I am going to attempt to follow the instructions on the benos forum to lighten a factory striker and see how that works too. I also order the maritime spring cups for the reduced friction. I should have some answers this weekend if everything gets delivered this week.

D. Manley
10-10-2011, 16:38

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt it is the CCI primers causing the problem. I have loaded and shot several thousand rounds in the last couple months and never had a problem with this setup. The ONLY thing that has changed is the switch to the CCI primers.

I am pretty sure I could switch back to Federals and solve the issue. I am trying to avoid being required to use only Federals. We all know how availability can go concerning primers.

I ordered a LS lightened steel striker last night. I am going to attempt to follow the instructions on the benos forum to lighten a factory striker and see how that works too. I also order the maritime spring cups for the reduced friction. I should have some answers this weekend if everything gets delivered this week.

FWIW, I run the Wolf RPFPS| LS Lightened Steel FP's in my G34, G35 & G21 range guns and the only problem I ever had was one of the notorious batches of nickle plated Wolf SPP immediately after the "great shortage". Never a hint of an issue with Federal or Winchester either, for that matter. I don't, for different reasosns however, use the x-tra power trigger spring.

Boxerglocker
10-10-2011, 16:52
So you have a reduced firing pin spring AND stock firing pin spring in your 34? So how does that work, LOL.

Looks like I have a new sig line quote ..

Corrected obvious typo, new android pad is a PITA to edit.

Missed the post on trying to fire the failed primers again... if the only thing that has changed is the CCI primers. It's either the primers being bad (highly doubt) or the gun trigger set-up is too light. Personally I would get hold of a stock glock and try and fire those failed rounds once again.

MrVvrroomm
10-10-2011, 17:32
If you switch back to Federal SPP your problems will go away.

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 17:42
If you switch back to Federal SPP your problems will go away.

I know. :rofl: I am attempting to make the gun run with any primer. As much as I am shooting, I would love to be able to order bulk wolf primers. There is a significant savings when you shoot 2k+ rounds per month. There always seems to be a shortage of Federal primers around here. Other brands are EVERYWHERE.

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 17:50

I had no problems with Federal on my LnL and no end of trouble with CCI on my LnL. Send my some CCI primers and brass and I will prime it on my 650 and see if the problem goes away.

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 18:03
I had no problems with Federal on my LnL and no end of trouble with CCI on my LnL. Send my some CCI primers and brass and I will prime it on my 650 and see if the problem goes away.

How many should I send you, Steve? 10,000...15,000 What do you think would be a good sample size? :tongueout:

D. Manley
10-10-2011, 18:14
I know. :rofl: I am attempting to make the gun run with any primer. As much as I am shooting, I would love to be able to order bulk wolf primers. There is a significant savings when you shoot 2k+ rounds per month. There always seems to be a shortage of Federal primers around here. Other brands are EVERYWHERE.

If you want the gun to run with any primer, try a stock Glock OEM FPS with 5 coils removed on the stock OEM firing pin. The trigger will not be "quite" as light but will still be pretty good.

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 18:32
If you want the gun to run with any primer, try a stock Glock OEM FPS with 5 coils removed on the stock OEM firing pin. The trigger will not be "quite" as light but will still be pretty good.

I will give that a try also. I am going to try to keep really good records of what works and what doesn't. This seems to be a very vague area even for the hard core "run & gun" guys. I still have about 300 of these harder than the gates of Hell CCIs to use in my testing.

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 18:38
How many should I send you, Steve? 10,000...15,000 What do you think would be a good sample size? :tongueout:

I don't know if your joking or not but 200 should do it. I will prime them and send them back to you. You just remove the decaping pin and load them like normal.

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 18:44
I don't know if your joking or not but 200 should do it. I will prime them and send them back to you. You just remove the decaping pin and load them like normal.

I thought you were trying to pull a Jack on me. LOL I appreciate the offer. I may actually take you up on it after I run my first test round. Would be interesting to see if there is any difference.

D. Manley
10-10-2011, 19:43
I will give that a try also. I am going to try to keep really good records of what works and what doesn't. This seems to be a very vague area even for the hard core "run & gun" guys. I still have about 300 of these harder than the gates of Hell CCIs to use in my testing.

FWIW, I did a good bit of experimenting with the batch of particularly hard Wolfs when no one had any Federal or Winchester in stock. If you have a couple of spare OEM FP springs around, start with trimming 5 coils and use the stock Glock firing pin. This should run 100%, it did for me and the CCI's are not hard as the batch of Wolf I had. Then, if you want to furthur improve the trigger, trim 1 more coil at a time, test and repeat until you reach a light strike failure. At that point, you'll know where the reliability stops and starts. I'm guessing that you can probably get away with 7 coils and maintain reliability with the CCI primers but you'll need to test to see. If you can get down to there, the trigger will be very nice.

You may want to try this with your lightened firing pin also. I suspect that the results will be similar but may be slightly better or worse...I only tested with the OEM firing pin. There is a fine line between running 100% and not...the Glock factory setup has a great deal of margin-of-error reliability built in. This is fine for a duty or personal defense weapon but is overkill on a range gun.

GioaJack
10-10-2011, 19:52
Look at how much bandwidth would have been conserved if you were shooting a 1911. Oh, that's right, you're a flatlander... nevermind. :whistling:

Jack

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 20:32
Look at how much bandwidth would have been conserved if you were shooting a 1911. Oh, that's right, you're a flatlander... nevermind. :whistling:

Jack

You mean like these?

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/SANY0677.jpg

:tongueout:

GioaJack
10-10-2011, 20:35
Well then why are you screwing around with a plastic gun... having a mid-life crisis and trying to relive you pre-puberty years?

Jack

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 20:38
Well then why are you screwing around with a plastic gun... having a mid-life crisis and trying to relive you pre-puberty years?

Jack

Just proving to the world I shoot equally as poor with any gun.

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 20:38
He wants a gun that works.

WiskyT
10-10-2011, 20:39
:whistling:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/Search20LNL20in20Thread.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 20:44
You trying to start something?

WiskyT
10-10-2011, 20:49

Of course not. I'm just compiling research data in the event that I finish my PhD. Do I have to get a BS first?

GioaJack
10-10-2011, 20:49
He wants a gun that works.

Alvin York and I were sitting around one day just BSing when he told me about the problems he had the year before, 1918 IIRC, with his 1911 in France.

Piece of junk gun, he should have given that medal back so other people wouldn't think it actually does what it was designed to do. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
10-10-2011, 20:51
Alvin York and I were sitting around one day just BSing when he told me about the problems he had the year before, 1918 IIRC, with his 1911 in France.

Piece of junk gun, he should have given that medal back so other people wouldn't think it actually does what it was designed to do. :whistling:

Jack

I thought Gary Cooper used a muzzle loader to shoot them turkeys:dunno:

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 20:52
:whistling:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/Search20LNL20in20Thread.jpg

He does have a point. :rofl:

I will ALWAYS be a 1911 guy at heart.

Shadyscott69
10-10-2011, 20:54

Jack

Weren't you a SMsgt when Alvin was a mere lad?

GioaJack
10-10-2011, 20:56
In the movie Gary Cooper used a Luger to kill the Germans rushing him. In reality York used a 1911 but at the time of filming they didn't have blanks powerful enough to cycle the 1911 so they just had Cooper use a Luger.

See, I know stuff.

Jack

GlockAzona
10-10-2011, 22:16
What is the case length measure on your light strikes?

Too short by a couple of thousandths & your lightened striker/spring combo may just not have enough reach.

Too long & you can be just outta battery enough to just dimple the primer.

GlockAzona
10-10-2011, 22:23
What is the case length measure on your light strikes?

Too short by a couple of thousandths & your lightened striker/spring combo may just not have enough reach.

Too long & you can be just outta battery enough to just dimple the primer.

ImpeachObama
10-10-2011, 22:41
Federal's are the best trouble free, but they cost at least 52% more than CCI for those wondering why you would mess with CCI besides supply problems.

Tpro
10-10-2011, 23:00
I thought you were trying to pull a Jack on me. LOL I appreciate the offer. I may actually take you up on it after I run my first test round. Would be interesting to see if there is any difference.

It would be worth it. The it would eliminate (or expose) the LnL AP. At least yours.

Tpro
10-10-2011, 23:03
It just occured to me that some of them fired on the second strike, and some did not. Seems like it it was a high primer they would have fired on the second shot (ASSuming the striker seated the primer all the way).:dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
10-11-2011, 03:35
It just occured to me that some of them fired on the second strike, and some did not. Seems like it it was a high primer they would have fired on the second shot (ASSuming the striker seated the primer all the way).:dunno:

About half of them would fire on the second strike in my experience.

WiskyT
10-11-2011, 03:55
In the movie Gary Cooper used a Luger to kill the Germans rushing him. In reality York used a 1911 but at the time of filming they didn't have blanks powerful enough to cycle the 1911 so they just had Cooper use a Luger.

See, I know stuff.

Jack

Yup, another case of the 9mm beating the 45.

Shadyscott69
10-11-2011, 06:18
Yup, another case of the 9mm beating the 45.

Will you make up your mind. Exactly who are you trying to screw with? :supergrin:

ron59
10-11-2011, 09:15
Federal's are the best trouble free, but they cost at least 52% more than CCI for those wondering why you would mess with CCI besides supply problems.

What the hell have you been smoking? 52%?

Where are you getting primers, and what are you paying?

I've been getting mine from Powder Valley.
Right now, they have Federals for $31 per 1000 and CCI for $30 per 1000. That's no 52%.

I just checked Graf's. They *happen* to have a sale on CCIs that might make them cheaper, but you can't take something like that and act as if they're that different all the time. There, 5000 of either run $159, except for the sale they're running. Once the sale is over.... back to the same price.

At Midways, the same 5000 has Federal two dollars CHEAPER than CCI.

So, I've listed the 3 most popular places to get primers, and totally discounted your foolishness. You might be buying some locally and paying a jacked up price, but that's shame on you. People that make ridiculous statements such as this to confuse the uneducated are *really* annoying. Begone, troll.

WiskyT
10-11-2011, 18:44
Will you make up your mind. Exactly who are you trying to screw with? :supergrin:

Jack is always fair game. I'm supposed to preceed any screwing with Jack with the phrase "With all due respect", but I forgot.

Shadyscott69
10-11-2011, 19:11

Right now, they have Federals for $31 per 1000 and CCI for $30 per 1000. That's no 52%.

I just checked Graf's. They *happen* to have a sale on CCIs that might make them cheaper, but you can't take something like that and act as if they're that different all the time. There, 5000 of either run $159, except for the sale they're running. Once the sale is over.... back to the same price.

So, I've listed the 3 most popular places to get primers, and totally discounted your foolishness. You might be buying some locally and paying a jacked up price, but that's shame on you. People that make ridiculous statements such as this to confuse the uneducated are *really* annoying. Begone, troll.

I just glossed over the post you are referencing. I kind of assumed it was a typo. :dunno:

Shadyscott69
10-11-2011, 19:13
Jack is always fair game. I'm supposed to preceed any screwing with Jack with the phrase "With all due respect", but I forgot.

:rofl: I suppose you could suffix the "Jack screwing" with "bless his heart". At least all of us southern boys would instantly know your intent.

Shadyscott69
10-11-2011, 19:15
Kind of back on track...

I lightened a stock striker from 114.88 grains to 83 grains tonight. Didn't have time to shoot, but it busted off 20 primer only cases in my shop with no problem.

ImpeachObama
10-11-2011, 21:46

I'll just comment to ease up. I don't mail order primers, so it's whatever I can get in person. That would be CCI's at $115 per 5000 which is $23 a thousand. Keeping in mind that I live on the east coast, I got that price from Graf's while going thru Missouri and loaded up a bunch, and from another vendor in PA. I have only been able to get Federal at $35 and higher for the last few months. Referencing the lower priced primers at $23 and the higher priced brand at $35, that would be 52%. If the two were closer in price for me, I would only use the Fed's.

Now about that over aggression.:steamed:

ron59
10-12-2011, 10:08
I'll just comment to ease up. I don't mail order primers, so it's whatever I can get in person. That would be CCI's at $115 per 5000 which is $23 a thousand. Keeping in mind that I live on the east coast, I got that price from Graf's while going thru Missouri and loaded up a bunch, and from another vendor in PA. I have only been able to get Federal at $35 and higher for the last few months. Referencing the lower priced primers at $23 and the higher priced brand at $35, that would be 52%. If the two were closer in price for me, I would only use the Fed's.

Now about that over aggression.:steamed:

I get riled at misleading blanket statements. Which you were (and still are) guilty of.

You HAPPENED to get lucky when you went to Graf's. That price is their *sale* price, not their normal price. They have that same sale on right now. However, OFF sale, CCIs and Federals are the same price normally.

You are comparing the price of CCIs you got on sale vs the Federals you got locally. That is not an apples-to-apples.

Typically, CCIs *might* be a dollar or so per $1000 less. And that is locally or online. We have several retailers here in Charlotte that carry primers. Way higher prices than I'm willing to pay, but the two are very close in price. Not 52% different anywhere.... unless of course, you compare a SALE price to normal price. :whistling:

Shadyscott69
10-12-2011, 14:23
I get riled at misleading blanket statements. Which you were (and still are) guilty of.

You HAPPENED to get lucky when you went to Graf's. That price is their *sale* price, not their normal price. They have that same sale on right now. However, OFF sale, CCIs and Federals are the same price normally.

You are comparing the price of CCIs you got on sale vs the Federals you got locally. That is not an apples-to-apples.

Typically, CCIs *might* be a dollar or so per $1000 less. And that is locally or online. We have several retailers here in Charlotte that carry primers. Way higher prices than I'm willing to pay, but the two are very close in price. Not 52% different anywhere.... unless of course, you compare a SALE price to normal price. :whistling:

I picked up another 1000 Federals today. They were the same price as CCI's. $33/1000

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2011, 16:20
Price check on isle GTR.

GioaJack
10-12-2011, 16:58
I picked up another 1000 Federals today. They were the same price as CCI's. $33/1000

Okay, okay, I just woke up from my nap and I'm understandably confused. I guess I need this clarified for me, and please use words that have only three syllables or less. I can't remember where I left my dictionary.

You started this thread because you are having light strikes in your plastic kid's gun when using CCI primers. So, in your infinite, yet somewhat suspect flatlander wisdom, you rush out and buy more of the very same primers you're having problems with.

Now, and this is where my long past career as and investment advisor gets in the way of understanding the logic behind your action. If you know you're going to have problems with CCI's at $33 per thousand why would you not buy Wolf primers at $15 per thousand and be in a position of only possibly having problems with them.

I'm starting to think that you've been fibbing about making custom holsters and leather good and you're actually part of Obama's economic advisory team.

Of course I could be mistaken... it's happened in the past. :whistling:

Jack

Shadyscott69
10-12-2011, 17:21

Okay, okay, I just woke up from my nap and I'm understandably confused. I guess I need this clarified for me, and please use words that have only three syllables or less. I can't remember where I left my dictionary.

You started this thread because you are having light strikes in your plastic kid's gun when using CCI primers. So, in your infinite, yet somewhat suspect flatlander wisdom, you rush out and buy more of the very same primers you're having problems with.

Now, and this is where my long past career as and investment advisor gets in the way of understanding the logic behind your action. If you know you're going to have problems with CCI's at $33 per thousand why would you not buy Wolf primers at $15 per thousand and be in a position of only possibly having problems with them.

I'm starting to think that you've been fibbing about making custom holsters and leather good and you're actually part of Obama's economic advisory team.

Of course I could be mistaken... it's happened in the past. :whistling:

Jack

Nap time run late at the old folks home? I will type slowly. I BOUGHT 1000 FEDERAL PRIMERS. CCI primers were the same price. I DID NOT BUY CCI PRIMERS. :rofl:

GioaJack
10-12-2011, 17:33
I think you edited your original post and then used computer wizardry to delete the edit notation. Just further proof that you flatlanders are untrustworthy and should be viewed with the highest level of skepticism.

(I hope your Federal primers all misfire, then you'll be mumbling to yourself. :whistling:)

Jack

Shadyscott69
10-12-2011, 18:35
I think you edited your original post and then used computer wizardry to delete the edit notation. Just further proof that you flatlanders are untrustworthy and should be viewed with the highest level of skepticism.

(I hope your Federal primers all misfire, then you'll be mumbling to yourself. :whistling:)

Jack

Dementia, not just for flatlanders anymore! :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
10-12-2011, 19:11
Poor Jack.

ImpeachObama
10-12-2011, 21:39
:rofl: He said flatlanders.

ImpeachObama
10-13-2011, 07:17
Just ordered from Grafs. I'm sucking it up a paying a Haz mat fee. Ooof!
CCI's at $23/k and Federal at $32/k. Ordered 15k total plus some powder I needed. Rats, only a price difference of 39% this time between the two. If people are going to complain about the price of primers, then why not try and pick some up when there is a "sale". T&T Reloading in eastern PA has CCI's at $27, still not bad at all.