Only This Wasn't a Hollywood Movie [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Only This Wasn't a Hollywood Movie

Patchman
10-09-2011, 19:26
A police sergeant saved his own life by sticking his finger between the hammer and cylinder of a gun jammed into his stomach by a desperate suspect during a struggle in Brooklyn, NY.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/10/09/2011-10-09_cop_uses_ring_finger_to_halt_a_thugs_itchy_trigger_finger.html#ixzz1aL0Xczqb

PuroMexicano
10-09-2011, 19:35
better a finger than the gut

Kudos to the sergeant!

CJStudent
10-09-2011, 19:54
Holy crap! :shocked:

Glad he's doing as well as he can be, and swift healing for the finger!

michael e
10-09-2011, 20:05
Smart thinking, and a broken finger is alot better than a bullet in the gut.

VA27
10-09-2011, 21:42
Some of the old timers here will remember being taught a similar technique in the academy, back when good guys and bad guys carried revolvers.

lawman800
10-09-2011, 22:27
Poking a finger into the eye until you hit the back of the skull is also pretty effective. Good for the sergeant for his quick thinking!

janice6
10-09-2011, 22:32
Good for the cop. Still takes guts to do.

Heard about backing into a 1911 pushed into your back, never had the need to try it. ..Takes Ba**s.

Trigger Finger
10-09-2011, 22:32
I remember when a friend of mine was serving a warrant and the suspect was in his bed pretending to be asleep. My friend walked up and pulled the blanket back and the suspect pointed a cocked 357 revolver at him and pulled the trigger. Luckily the blanket was caught in between the hammer and the gun preventing the gun from firing.

This guy had to be absentee booked at the jail ward at county hospital after they removed the gun from his a..!!

lawman800
10-09-2011, 22:45
You mean you guys don't get the "Lethal Weapon 4" training where you can take apart a beretta while executing a roundhouse kick to the perp?

scottydl
10-10-2011, 09:08
You mean you guys don't get the "Lethal Weapon 4" training where you can take apart a beretta while executing a roundhouse kick to the perp?

Well YA, but just in case that doesn't work... never hurts to have a backup plan ya know.

Arvinator
10-10-2011, 13:25
When I was a rookie two fellow officers were at a domestic disturbance when they let the suspect get a cigeratte. A 3 rd officer walked in and saw the suspect come in the room with a pair of 22 revolvers. The 3rd officer grabbed the guns, placing his finger behind the triggers. This no doubt saved the officers.
Good job to this cop, glad things turned out for the best...

BamaTrooper
10-10-2011, 14:33
Had a guy that used to work with me... got in a scuffle...guy pulled a little 25 with a hammer (Beretta or Taurus I think) and got it to the officers head. Officer grabbed gun and bad guy pulled trigger. Hammer was stopped by web of officer's hand.

Officer then used own gun to shoot bad guy. Bad guy is no longer with us.

Hack
10-10-2011, 21:34
Had a guy that used to work with me... got in a scuffle...guy pulled a little 25 with a hammer (Beretta or Taurus I think) and got it to the officers head. Officer grabbed gun and bad guy pulled trigger. Hammer was stopped by web of officer's hand.

A good ending. Kudos the cop for quick thinking, concerning OP and this.

Cochese
10-11-2011, 00:52
Cops are trained in such situations to do just what Miller did.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/10/09/2011-10-09_cop_uses_ring_finger_to_halt_a_thugs_itchy_trigger_finger.html#ixzz1aSBPzjAy

Nobody ever went over that with us. :rofl:

steveksux
10-11-2011, 01:16
Some of the old timers here will remember being taught a similar technique in the academy, back when good guys and bad guys carried revolvers.I remember being told to grab the cylinder, if it can't rotate, it can't move new round into position to fire. Blocking the hammer was for if it was already cocked.

Randy

DaBigBR
10-11-2011, 09:47
Nobody ever went over that with us. :rofl:

Same here.

I don't know that it would have taken that long to cover method of disabling a weapon at close range (finger between hammer and firing pin, finger behind trigger, slide out of battery, hand around cylinder, etc), but the tough part would be teaching people to realize just how desparate those techniques are.

lawman800
10-11-2011, 15:53
All the gun takeaway techniques, or the hostage reaction techniques are all desperate scenarios by definition. Even our instructors tell us straight out, they have never done it and they can't vouch for how it will work out. But they say if it came down to it and that's what we got to do then it is what it is.

RF7126
10-11-2011, 16:24
I remember being told to grab the cylinder, if it can't rotate, it can't move new round into position to fire. Blocking the hammer was for if it was already cocked.

Randy

Makes sense but I would worry about it slipping. Sweat, blood, water, etc...

lawman800
10-11-2011, 17:09
Not to mention if the cylinder is unfluted or if it is cold out and your hand are dry and slippery.

steveksux
10-11-2011, 18:10
Makes sense but I would worry about it slipping. Sweat, blood, water, etc...

Not to mention if the cylinder is unfluted or if it is cold out and your hand are dry and slippery.No argument here, but at that point the only alternative is trusting to the kind heartedness of the same guy that just stuck the aforementioned revolver in your ribs...

Randy

lawman800
10-11-2011, 19:52
That's an east coast thing. Out here in the west, we would have had that revolver disassembled and shoved up in his rectum before he could even think about pulling the trigger.

Panzergrenadier1979
10-12-2011, 06:09
A police sergeant saved his own life by sticking his finger between the hammer and cylinder of a gun jammed into his stomach by a desperate suspect during a struggle in Brooklyn, NY.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/10/09/2011-10-09_cop_uses_ring_finger_to_halt_a_thugs_itchy_trigger_finger.html#ixzz1aL0Xczqb

Silly me. I thought handgun posession was illegal in NYC.

How on earth could something like this happen? :whistling:

lawman800
10-12-2011, 11:22
Firearms possession is all but outlawed in mexico as well... Damn criminals... Why can't they just obey the law!

NecoDude
10-12-2011, 15:10

GT needs a "Like" or "Hell Yeah" Button to rate posts like this...

Glad things worked out for the mentioned officers.

lawman800
10-12-2011, 15:39
In the absence of the rating system, we just have to quote and say, "Team America: **** Yeah!"