Windows Vista to 7? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista to 7?

Bensmiata
10-10-2011, 09:21
Vista sucks, period. My mom has a computer with Vista and she missed the upgrade since I was out to sea. What is the best alternative for her to move to windows 7?

wrenrj1
10-10-2011, 09:22
Go purchase the upgrade disk. Simple installation.

GIockGuy24
10-10-2011, 09:29
You may have to research the drivers if the computer maker quit making that model before Windows 7 came out. Windows Vista can be "improved" quite a bit by turning off some "features."

Sgt. Schultz
10-10-2011, 10:34
You may have to research the drivers if the computer maker quit making that model before Windows 7 came out.

I agree, find the drivers first because they can be very hard to find ... especially for laptops. FWIW I have been able to use XP drivers if you all else fails.

Go purchase the upgrade disk. Simple installation. Yes but first backup your data and do a clean install.

Detectorist
10-11-2011, 22:11
I've got a Dell built in 2007. I was pleasantly surprised that 7 found everything, except drivers for my Samsung 24" monitor. Love 7.

Drjones
10-12-2011, 08:53
You can use a free tool called DriverMax to backup the current drivers and then import them into the system after you install 7, if needed.

Vista drivers almost always work with 7. Unless it's some totally rinky-dink, unknown laptop, you should be able to find current drivers just fine.

Do a clean install of 7 though, do not do the upgrade where you simply install over Vista.

wrenrj1
10-12-2011, 18:09
My HD went bad so I replaced it. I had Vista on the laptop prior. I had to reload Vista (had to borrow the disks) then reload my 7 upgrade. I was also able to get all the drivers from the Dell website which were easily found based on my laptop's serial number. I was surprised how easy it was to do.

Green_Manelishi
10-12-2011, 18:24
Windows Vista can be "improved" quite a bit by turning off some "features."

I once put lipstick on a pig. It was still a pig. :whistling: