Single Stage or Turret? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Single Stage or Turret?

gforester
10-10-2011, 18:15
I currently have a Dillon XL650 for doing my handgun loads. I am wanting to start loading for my Springfield 03A3. I'm considering getting another press to set up just for the 30.06 ammo instead of doing all the changes needed to run a few boxes of 30.06 off from time to time on the Dillon. Ifigure by the time I buy all the parts to set up the Dillon it wouldn't be that much more to just get a dedicated setup in a single stage or turret press.

I have been mulling over the idea of getting a Lee or RCBS single stage or maybe even a nice second hand turret to use for this. For the limited amount of cartridges I would be loading for the rifle would a single stage be ok? Would I be better off getting a economically priced turret instead? How does the Lee compare to the RCBS?

I have seen a few decent deals on eBay for both Lee and RCBS but I don't want to buy anything without input. Any experiences you guys could share or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

dkf
10-10-2011, 18:28
I just bought a Lee Classic Turret. I plan to load .357sig, .357mag and 30-06 on it to start. For around $100 its a solid press. It would be nice having the turret in case you wanted to reload a smaller quanity of pistol in the future (or maybe even .223) and don't want to disturb your 650.

Fwdftw
10-10-2011, 18:30
Man, if your doing limited loading id stick with the single stage ..unless you could find a lct cheaper ? I'd stay away from the other turret (horrible primer system ). Just my input.

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 18:39
I would just get a decent single stage.

DoctaGlockta
10-10-2011, 18:42
For 308 I bought a Lee Classic Cast and then put in the Hornady Lock and Load conversion kit.

I think to re size your 30-06 you will need something like a single stage. It was next to impossible to re size with my LNL AP.

Good luck.

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 18:47
LCT will resize the 30.06. I have a friend who loads his on one.

gforester
10-10-2011, 19:00
So, the Lee has a better priming system than the RCBS? It appears either the Lee Classic SS or Lee classic Turret may be the way to go, is that the general consensus?

GioaJack
10-10-2011, 19:10
I would think the priming system would be a non-issue, Since you're going to be loading a fairly limited number of rounds as opposed to thousands of pistol rounds you'd probably want to hand prime them anyway.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
10-10-2011, 19:14
Both those have a breech lock setup. I would try the Lee setup as it actually locks in place. I have no experience with their setup but it sure looks better then the other.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Breech-Lock-Challenger-Press.html

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Breech-Lock-Classic-Cast.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grw1zZIZeZs&feature=related

D. Manley
10-10-2011, 19:47
I would just get a decent single stage.

For rifle, this. IMHO, the single-stage is still "king-of-the-hill" for accurate rifle rounds. My preference would be a Forster CoAxial but there's a lot to be said for the value of a Lee Classic Cast...it's a beast of a press.

unclebob
10-11-2011, 07:43
It would be cheaper and faster to load them just on the 650.Just to name a few. You would need a way to prime, another powder dispenser, loading blocks, etc. I have gone from loading 9mm to loading 20, 45 ACP faster on the 650 than if I was to do it with my single stage press, even with the changeover. If you had a couple of different small batches of rounds that you load for, then getting an LCT. Then to me would make since. But for just one, No.

Zombie Steve
10-11-2011, 08:09
Single Stage will be plenty for the limited loading you're talking about. Like Jack said, prime by hand. It's nice to feel the primer being seated.

johnjohn
10-14-2011, 07:40
I have both a turret and a single stage (Lymans) and much prefer the single stage to reload rifle ammo. I started with the turret not intending to load anything but handgun stuff,and it's fine for that. The single has less "play"and in my opinion better suited to longer rifle brass.

gforester
10-14-2011, 11:12
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will just go with a single stage since I will only be reloading for my 03A3 with it.

Now that I have that decided I only need to decide which one. I have seen a few good deals on the Hornady LNL Classic. Is that one any better than a Lee, RCBS or Lyman press? Are there some positive features of any of these that would make them better than any of the others?

Colorado4Wheel
10-14-2011, 11:21
I prefer the Breech Lock on the Lee over the LnL. Especially the setup that has the lock ring built in to it.

Least expensive I would buy is the Lee Classic Cast. Rock Chucker, is the default standard. Some people prefer the Lee to the RC.

Did you look at those links and videos I posted?

gforester
10-14-2011, 11:36
I prefer the Breech Lock on the Lee over the LnL. Especially the setup that has the lock ring built in to it.

Least expensive I would buy is the Lee Classic Cast. Rock Chucker, is the default standard. Some people prefer the Lee to the RC.

Did you look at those links and videos I posted?

Yes I did, thank you for posting them.

Midway has some 10% discounts going on right now so I might even be ordering from them instead of finding something on eBay. Wideners also has some good prices on presses.

unclebob
10-14-2011, 11:51
Did not look at the others, but Natchez has the Lee Cast press and Breech Lock for $89.99.

fredj338
10-14-2011, 13:06
So, the Lee has a better priming system than the RCBS? It appears either the Lee Classic SS or Lee classic Turret may be the way to go, is that the general consensus?

Most guys loading on a ss press prime off the press w/ a hand priming tool. Easier, faster & better feel. I load on a 550 & 650 & still load most of my 8 diff rifle calibers on a ss press. Just get a heavy duty one like the Lee CC or RCBS RCII, even better, the RCBS AmmoMaster. Then if you decide to go really big down the road (large African rounds or 50BMG), you won't need another press.:supergrin:

Zombie Steve
10-14-2011, 13:16
You just won't be disappointed with a RCBS Rockchucker. :thumbsup:

Colorado4Wheel
10-14-2011, 16:58
Most guys loading on a ss press prime off the press w/ a hand priming tool. Easier, faster & better feel. I load on a 550 & 650 & still load most of my 8 diff rifle calibers on a ss press. Just get a heavy duty one like the Lee CC or RCBS RCII, even better, the RCBS AmmoMaster. Then if you decide to go really big down the road (large African rounds or 50BMG), you won't need another press.:supergrin:

Lee CC loads the 50BMG as well.

gforester
10-14-2011, 17:09

Okay, I will never be hunting rhinos or elephants so I won't need anything larger than 30 caliber. No plans to ever own a 50BMG gun either.

So here is what I have come up with. Midway has the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Kit for $320.

Master Kit Includes:

Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press
505 scale
Uniflow Powder Measure
Speer Reloading Manual
Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs
Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys
Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers
Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle
Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers
Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .45 caliber

RCBS has a $50 mail in rebate offer and if I buy from Midway before the 18th of October I can get an additional $25 discount from them.

This puts the total price at about $250 + the dies and shell holders and shipping. Does this look like a good deal?

I am totally new to this rifle reloading gig, just pistol ammo on my XL650 and SDB for the last 2 years. So is there anything else that might be needed to load my 30.06 cartridges?

Colorado4Wheel
10-14-2011, 17:23
Don't you already own a scale?

Zombie Steve
10-14-2011, 17:25
Okay, I will never be hunting rhinos or elephants so I won't need anything larger than 30 caliber. No plans to ever own a 50BMG gun either.

So here is what I have come up with. Midway has the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Kit for $320.

RCBS has a $50 mail in rebate offer and if I buy from Midway before the 18th of October I can get an additional $25 discount from them.

This puts the total price at about $250 + the dies and shell holders and shipping. Does this look like a good deal?

I am totally new to this rifle reloading gig, just pistol ammo on my XL650 and SDB for the last 2 years. So is there anything else that might be needed to load my 30.06 cartridges?

That's the kit I started with. I still use most of it. You'll need a good set of calipers, at least one more reloading manual (I like Lyman 49) and get an inertia bullet puller up front. Then you can get into tumbler / media discussions.

gforester
10-14-2011, 17:26
Don't you already own a scale?

I have a PACT electronic but you can't trickle with it. Anyway, most of the stuff that comes with the kit I would have to purchase individually since I don't have any of it. I don't have the Speer manual either.

Colorado4Wheel
10-14-2011, 17:29

Actually, it's a great deal. Build it up separately and it will cost more to buy the Lee.

gforester
10-14-2011, 17:30
That's the kit I started with. I still use most of it. You'll need a good set of calipers, at least one more reloading manual (I like Lyman 49) and get an inertia bullet puller up front. Then you can get into tumbler / media discussions.

Lyman Manual - check
Calipers - check
Bullet Puller - check
Tumbler/Media Separator - check

I have all that from my pistol reloading stuff. Does $250 sound like a good buy or would I be better off trying to piece all that stuff together?

gforester
10-14-2011, 17:34
Actually, it's a great deal. Build it up separately and it will cost more to buy the Lee.

That's what I was getting at. I was taking the lazy way out by asking instead of researching various sources and pricing out all this crap individually. I think you were posting this as I was typing my previous question Steve. :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
10-14-2011, 17:51
You owe me five bucks for being your research assistant.

gforester
10-14-2011, 17:57
You owe me five bucks for being your research assistant.

Will you accept payment by way of my Food Stamps debit card? :rofl:

labdwakin
10-15-2011, 04:52
factorysales.com if you decide you'd rather have the Lee... I haven't seen anyone's prices beat them yet. :couch:

That being said, I love my RCBS trim pro and 10-10 scale.

ursoboostd
10-16-2011, 07:37
I have a 650 and an LCT. I love the LCT for the stuff I load in smaller amounts. I can use it as a turret press or pull the index rod and use it as a single stage. Right now I load 357mag, 10mm and 308 on the LCT. Works for me. -Wade-

norton
10-16-2011, 08:25
I load my rifle rounds on a Rock Chucker. Its also a great press to size cast bullets. I prime rifle rounds off press.
I have a Lyman turret press- mounted- gathering dust.

gforester
10-18-2011, 10:18
Okay, I ordered the RCBS kit from Midway Saturday since there were several other things I was needing. Before I knew it I had about $500 worth of merchandise in my shopping cart. I found some 150gr. Barnes .308 Match Burner bullets on clearance so I ordered those as well. I also picked up a Laserlyte boresighter that was on sale while I was at it.

According to UPS the order will be here on Thursday the 20th, I can hardly wait! Now with cooler weather I won't mind going to the outdoor range and test firing some hand loads from my 03A3. I bought a pound of Hodgdon H335 at the gun show this weekend, now I just need to pick up 100 primers somewhere.

I really appreciate all the input guys! :wavey:

gforester
10-24-2011, 18:45
My order arrived on Friday and I opened it up and set everything up on Sunday. I had to clear a spot on my workbench for as it was already crowded with my XL650 and SDB.

Here it is all set up with some rounds I ran off.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gforester/RCBS2.jpg

I found that about half my brass was already to long so tonight I ordered an RCBS trimmer and a tool to fix the crimped Mil-surp brass I have. I also found out that brass I thought would pass muster stretched about .005" after resizing and ended up too long.

I found load data on the Hogdgon website for the H355 powder with 175gr bullets and as it turns out magnum primers were recommended for that powder. So my Wolf primers are going to work out just fine until I go with a different powder.

I used some Barnes 175gr. FMJBT match bullets over 42, 44, and 45 grain charges loaded to 3.290" OAL. I plan on taking them to the range Wednesday morning with my chrono and compare them to the M2 ball ammo and some Winchester Silvertips I have.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gforester/RCBS3.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gforester/FIRSTLOADS.jpg

norton
10-25-2011, 15:04
You are going to love your "Chucker". Its a great single stage press.

gforester
10-26-2011, 19:50
You are going to love your "Chucker". Its a great single stage press.

Yep, the "chucker" works just fine! My rounds worked great when I tested them today. My M2 ball was a good bit faster at ~2750fps with it being a 25gr lighter bullet and more than likely a much larger charge. However my 175gr Barnes FMJBT bullets at only 2300fps were noticeably more accurate. This is fun, I think I am going to really enjoy loading for the 03A3. I even had the RSO give me a box with 20 pieces of Winchester brass after chatting with me about the rifle.

RRTX11
10-26-2011, 20:41

+1 on RockChucker, hard to beat for a SS rifle.