RELOADING 40 s&w, 357 sig. Equiptment. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RELOADING 40 s&w, 357 sig. Equiptment.

ghr1142
10-11-2011, 10:34
Hello, I'm thinking about reloading but need to know all the stuff needed? and were is the best place to buy it ? Or do I have to use many rounds in each of 40 S&w 357 sig. to see any savings rather than just buy ammo at my LGS ?
Any help would be great !

jerzeydevil77
10-11-2011, 10:40
This should answer all of your questions, he sells equipment as well.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

jeffreybehr
10-11-2011, 10:40
Hello, I'm thinking about reloading but need to know all the stuff needed? and were is the best place to buy it ? Or do I have to use many rounds in each of 40 S&w 357 sig. to see any savings rather than just buy ammo at my LGS ?
Any help would be great !

Look up several inches on your screen; see those sticky threads? Read them. :embarassed:

unclebob
10-11-2011, 11:05
It would depend on how much you shoot? How much do you want to spend? How much time would you have to reload? Beside those two rounds what else would you want to reload for? Maybe not today but say a couple of years down the road. Do you or do you want to get into any type of shooting competition? In other words we need to know what your needs are.
Also get the book ABC of reloading.

ghr1142
10-11-2011, 11:13
It would depend on how much you shoot? How much do you want to spend? How much time would you have to reload? Beside those two rounds what else would you want to reload for? Maybe not today but say a couple of years down the road. Do you or do you want to get into any type of shooting competition? In other words we need to know what your needs are.
Also get the book ABC of reloading.

Right now the 40 & 357. also have 9mm. 38 spl.
might shoot 500 rds./year at the range per. cal.
The sig. is the pricey stuff to buy.

fredj338
10-11-2011, 12:37
I can reload 357sig for a bit more than jacketed 9mm, so yes, reloading would save you a ton in 357sig. For 40, you still save 1/2 vs cheap factory.
I agree w/ UB, sounds like you don't shoot a ton, so a good ss press or LCT would provide you w/ enough ammo for a casual weekend of shooting, say 200rds/wk, about 2-3hrs work on either press. If you need more ammo than that, a progressive of some kind is what most eventually get to.

unclebob
10-11-2011, 12:50
Right now the 40 & 357. also have 9mm. 38 spl.
might shoot 500 rds./year at the range per. cal.
The sig. is the pricey stuff to buy.

I would say for you a single stage press either the Lee Classic Cast or RCBS. If you want something a little faster the Lee LCT at this time will work for you. If It was up to me I would go for the LCT.

Tpro
10-11-2011, 13:24
Read the sticky. Then get the Lee Classic Turret. No sense getting a single stage press when the LCT will do EXACTLY the same thing, and you can use it as a turret when ready.

ghr1142
10-11-2011, 13:28
I would say for you a single stage press either the Lee Classic Cast or RCBS. If you want something a little faster the Lee LCT at this time will work for you. If It was up to me I would go for the LCT.
Thank's for the info. What is the sight for Lee ? Guess I'm going to need dies too and a way to measure powder ? Can Lee provide this also ?

Thank's

Tpro
10-11-2011, 13:33
Thank's for the info. What is the sight for Lee ? Guess I'm going to need dies too and a way to measure powder ? Can Lee provide this also ?

Thank's

The best buy on Lee right now seems to be Kempf's gun shop (google it). Tell the you want the LCT and you need the other stuff to get going. Like a scale. They will sell you a Lee scale and some people HATE it. I have used on and I didn't mind it. Either way, you need a scale, and I would upgrade the powder measure. They have kits for what you want, then buy dies and turrets for any other calibur you will need to reload. Don't forget a reloading manual (at least one, 2 or three won't hurt you) and for the record, I didn't care for The ABC's of Reloading. Some folks swear by it. I didn't like it and Amazon got it back.

IndyGunFreak
10-11-2011, 13:36

Thank's

Read Colorado4Wheel's sticky in this forum, regarding the Lee Classic Turret, and follow his advice to the letter, and you will be happy.

unclebob
10-11-2011, 13:47
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Order a couple more tool heads, dies for the other ones you want to load for. A caliber that I would get from Harbor Freight. Add a scale. Other than a reloading table, bullets, powder and primers. You would be just about all set.
Also Iím not a big fan of the Lee scale. I would rather get a good balance beam or digital scale. The Dillon Eliminator balance beam scale would be a lot better.

fredj338
10-11-2011, 14:07
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Order a couple more tool heads, dies for the other ones you want to load for. A caliber that I would get from Harbor Freight. Add a scale. Other than a reloading table, bullets, powder and primers. You would be just about all set.
Also Iím not a big fan of the Lee scale. I would rather get a good balance beam or digital scale. The Dillon Eliminator balance beam scale would be a lot better.
For the diff in price, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.:supergrin:

dkf
10-11-2011, 15:42
Just bought an LCT to load .357sig and maybe some .40. If you can reload 9mm and save a bunch of money over factory ammo you sure are going to save a bundle on .357sig and even .40.

Tpro
10-11-2011, 16:11

Didn't want to edit you post UB, but I think you meant "calipers".:wavey:

If not, feel free to correct me.

unclebob
10-11-2011, 16:15
Didn't want to edit you post UB, but I think you meant "calipers".:wavey:

If not, feel free to correct me.

Thanks don't care at all.

jfrey
10-11-2011, 21:57
By your numbers, I shoot about 4 to 5 times as much ammo per year as you indicate, and that is in just 2 calibers. For me a progressive was in order but for you an LCT may be just the ticket. Be warned: once you start loading your own ammo - you will shoot more. It happens to all of us eventually. Do your homework and check out Dillon, RCBS, Lee, Hornady and see what suits your budget best.