9x19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9x19

SCmasterblaster
10-11-2011, 11:13
I have a box of Winchester 115gr JHP +p+ that has a velocity of 1400 FPS out of my G17 3rd-gen. With Winter coming here in NH/VT, I am wondering if my thin and high-speed bullet will expand and stop in the heavy outer attire often seen here. Am I underestimating the penetration capability of this load?

Mas Ayoob
10-11-2011, 16:24
Yup. This bullet definitely won't stop in clothing. Only concern with JHP's and heavy winter clothing is that the noses sometimes plug on the inert fabric and turn into ball. However, this happens less often with the higher velocity rounds such as this one. While I still prefer a .45 because of this factor, I can't help but notice the Illinois State Police had great luck with the load you're asking about, and they had pretty cold winters there, too.

best,
Mas

SCmasterblaster
10-12-2011, 07:42
Yup. This bullet definitely won't stop in clothing. Only concern with JHP's and heavy winter clothing is that the noses sometimes plug on the inert fabric and turn into ball. However, this happens less often with the higher velocity rounds such as this one. While I still prefer a .45 because of this factor, I can't help but notice the Illinois State Police had great luck with the load you're asking about, and they had pretty cold winters there, too.

best,
Mas

I guess that 115gr FMJ at 1400FPS isn't too bad.

Mas Ayoob
10-12-2011, 07:58
Actually, the FMJ is pretty pathetic, punching puckered, narrow icepick-like wounds. I was talking about the 115 grain [I]jhp[I] +P+ you mentioned in your Post #1, above.

best,
Mas

SCmasterblaster
10-12-2011, 08:01
to mislead you. I was just suggesting that that is what my JHP turns into after encountering heavy clothing.