Jim Cirillo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jim Cirillo

Burleigh
10-12-2011, 01:42
I have tried to read everything I can about Jim Cirillo and greatly admire his courage and grace. I know you knew him and and am wondering if you can tell me if I am accurately remembering a story about him. When he has a firearms instructor I think I read that he and a colleague would check the point of aim on the other officers fixed sight revolvers and adjust the windage by bending the front sight . Do I have this right and does it work ?
Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
10-12-2011, 06:58
Jay, Col. Charles Askins, Jr. mentioned doing that to sight in New Service Colt .38s when he was in charge of firearms training for the Border Patrol. That may be what you're thinking of. The NYPD firearms training unit, subsequently Firearms & Tactics Unit, on their range facility on City Island in the Bronx maintained armorers to do that sort of thing. Jim did a great action job, but he was better known for teaching than gunsmithing.

You might enjoy reading Paul Kirchner's book on him, Jim Cirillo and the Tales of the Stakeout Squad, from Paladin Press. Jim was a good man and left us all a rich legacy of survival advice.

best
Mas

Burleigh
10-12-2011, 10:49
Thanks. I have Kirchner's book on Cirillo ( great book ) and also Askins' book. I found the reference to sight adjustment on page 52 of Askins' "The Art of Handgun Shooting ". Col. Askins describes getting 900 brand new 38 caliber revolvers and finding that 453 of them needed the sights " doctored " . For windage he bent the front sights.