FT Lauderdale PD approved weapon list??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FT Lauderdale PD approved weapon list???

JCROWNII
10-12-2011, 13:00
Hello GT,

I am looking into applying for FLPD and I am curious to know what sidearm they carry. I have friends from other departments who have been to FLPD hq and they said that a lot of officers were carrying the HK USP.

I googled FLPD HK usp and some searches came back stating that FLPD issues the HK usp .40 but this is not confirmed. I have heard many times that FLPD has an approved firearm list and DOES NOT ISSUE ANY SIDEARM. Even the application states that the department
issues all gear with the exception of the service weapon, shoes, and handcuffs. I have also seen pictures of FLPD officers with what looks to be like a compact Glock, as well as 1911s, S&W Semi Autos, and Berettas. It looks like the officers are young too so I don't know about grandfathering in.

Here's even a recent video posted in 2010 on YouTube where a FLPD officer confirms this list of approved firearms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTDrUiREag&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what firearms are on this list?

2. Can you carry your own gun off duty?

I'm not too big a fan of the HK usp. I'm a Glock guy. I shoot my Glock 22 like no other and I train with it all the time since I carry a G27 for CCW. I was hoping I can have the G22 as my duty gun.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

DaBigBR
10-12-2011, 15:46
Don't select an employer based on sidearm. Don't even let it enter in to the equation.

jwhite75
10-12-2011, 15:57
Don't select an employer based on sidearm. Don't even let it enter in to the equation.

Guns should be the least of any consideration for an LE career, and make for poor talking points in an interview. Trust us.

RVER
10-12-2011, 16:28
Guns should be the least of any consideration for an LE career, and make for poor talking points in an interview. Trust us.

Listen to what the other's have said.

Patchman
10-12-2011, 17:24

Forget the duty gun. It's the spiffy uniform and the cool police cars that should be the deciding factor. :wavey:

indigent
10-12-2011, 18:59
Like the others have said don't let the sidearm be a factor.
At this point I'd rock out a slingshot and a coonskin cap instead of being in the jail.

MeefZah
10-12-2011, 19:02
At this point I'd rock out a slingshot and a coonskin cap instead of being in the jail.

Officer Crockett (Davy, not Sonny), I presume?

jwhite75
10-12-2011, 19:12
Get on somewhere first and be top shot at the academy if you want, heck even be "the gun guy" on your dept, after you learn to be a good officer with sound judgment and good instincts.

South Fla
10-12-2011, 19:16
There should be several dozen things on your mind as first priorities rather that what gun you might carry if you get on. You got a long way to go first.

car541
10-12-2011, 19:23
dont worry about it. it's going to change anyway.

Also keep this in mind: an experienced officer with good training, a supportive administration and a model 10 revolver is better off than a badly trained FNG with bosses willing to toss him in the grease and your magic G22.

ateamer
10-12-2011, 19:49
Pretty much every police department will issue or approve guns that are reliable and you can capably shoot with, in a caliber that will get the job done. You need to be looking at things like working conditions, pay, benefits, retirement, morale, choice of assignments, promotion/specialized assignment system and relationship between leadership and the troops.

razdog76
10-12-2011, 20:32
Pretty much every police department will issue or approve guns that are reliable and you can capably shoot with, in a caliber that will get the job done. You need to be looking at things like working conditions, pay, benefits, retirement, morale, choice of assignments, promotion/specialized assignment system and relationship between leadership and the troops.

Listen to ateamer. IMHO, the relationship between labor and management is most important, all of the other issues fall in line behind that. Having an adversarial relationship benefits nobody.

Agent6-3/8
10-12-2011, 20:34
Forget the duty gun. It's the spiffy uniform and the cool police cars that should be the deciding factor. :wavey:

I thought it was the quality of the badge bunnies that was the deciding factor... :whistling:

:supergrin:

jwhite75
10-12-2011, 21:18
I thought it was the quality of the badge bunnies that was the deciding factor... :whistling:

:supergrin:

Dont tell him all the jedi secrets...then all his friends will want light sabers.:cool:

jnc36rcpd
10-13-2011, 01:00
I agree completely that the issue or authorized pistol is about the last thing I'd consider when applying to a law enforcement agency, I strongly agree that issue/authorized weapons are topics to be avoided during the application proceses.

That said, I'd be interested to know what pistol I'd be issued or authorized if I applied to another agency. What does FLPD authorize?

RVER
10-13-2011, 06:09
I thought it was the quality of the badge bunnies that was the deciding factor... :whistling: :supergrin:

An old saying: THE BADGE WILL GET YOU BUNNIES, BUT BUNNIES WILL GET YOUR BADGE. There are some very friendly yet very bad bunnies out there - very bad bunnies... The word used wasn't exactly "bunnies" but I have confidence in you that you can figure it out, if not you might want to consider a different career field...

Agent6-3/8
10-13-2011, 07:13
An old saying: THE BADGE WILL GET YOU BUNNIES, BUT BUNNIES WILL GET YOUR BADGE. There are some very friendly yet very bad bunnies out there - very bad bunnies... The word used wasn't exactly "bunnies" but I have confidence in you that you can figure it out, if not you might want to consider a different career field...

Yup, when they take your badge they also give you the gift that keeps on giving...The bunnies have never appealed to me. You don't meet too many decent people doing this job and the sluts are no exception. Why anyone wants the "department door knob" is beyond me, but some guys seem to have no standard.

JCROWNII
10-13-2011, 07:29
Guys,

I have completely been misunderstood. As my post clearly stated I am just CURIOUS to know what sidearm they carry. Never did I mention this will be my overall decideing factor on whether I will apply to this particular pd or not. I hope you guys don't ASSume this much on the job. Thanks for the tip about not mentioning this in the interview but its a bit too late as yesterday I just passed my oral board interview with 1 of 3 pds I have applied for.

It's amazing how many of you jumped on the bandwagon when you saw one person state I should not consider a pd just for a sidearm. Gentleman, your sidearm and your proficiency with it might be the only thing that gets you home one night. Those that shoot once a year to qualify and put their guns away I am personally scared for. If you think you are "trained" because of what they taught you in the academy, I feel sorry for you. I have personally seen everything from rust....to horse manure on a mounted officers firearm. No lube, completely filthy...if your one of them I am affraid for you. A lot of officers think they are armed just BECAUSE they are carrying a firearm...thats why most don't care about what gun they carry, nor do they perform maintainance, nor do they shoot them. That's why most of you can't shoot!

When I consider my sidearm I am considering my life. Is it enough to keep me from applying to a pd, NO, but better believe it will cross my mind.

We all know most cops don't need to use their sidearm in their careers and we all know shooting and firing at someone will be probably the last thing you do....but it CAN be the first thing you do. I know of officers who have been shot and killed just after they finished probation and went off on their own. Complacency-it can be the end of you.

Gimme my MAGIC G22 ANYDAY, I'd take it and run....

This is MY opinion, as everyone has a right to formulate their own opinion.

Now that the misconception is out of the way...and the bandwagon has been addressed...if anyone can address my question it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Officer X
10-13-2011, 08:04
Guys,

I have completely been misunderstood. As my post clearly stated I am just CURIOUS to know what sidearm they carry. Never did I mention this will be my overall decideing factor on whether I will apply to this particular pd or not. I hope you guys don't ASSume this much on the job. Thanks for the tip about not mentioning this in the interview but its a bit too late as yesterday I just passed my oral board interview with 1 of 3 pds I have applied for.

It's amazing how many of you jumped on the bandwagon when you saw one person state I should not consider a pd just for a sidearm. Gentleman, your sidearm and your proficiency with it might be the only thing that gets you home one night. Those that shoot once a year to qualify and put their guns away I am personally scared for. If you think you are "trained" because of what they taught you in the academy, I feel sorry for you. I have personally seen everything from rust....to horse manure on a mounted officers firearm. No lube, completely filthy...if your one of them I am affraid for you. A lot of officers think they are armed just BECAUSE they are carrying a firearm...thats why most don't care about what gun they carry, nor do they perform maintainance, nor do they shoot them. That's why most of you can't shoot!

When I consider my sidearm I am considering my life. Is it enough to keep me from applying to a pd, NO, but better believe it will cross my mind.

We all know most cops don't need to use their sidearm in their careers and we all know shooting and firing at someone will be probably the last thing you do....but it CAN be the first thing you do. I know of officers who have been shot and killed just after they finished probation and went off on their own. Complacency-it can be the end of you.

Now that the misconception is out of the way...and the bandwagon has been addressed...if anyone can address my question it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

I was going to reply with an in depth response but you have already passed the oral board of one out of three agencies you applied for and it appears you possess more insight and experience for the job than the members of CT combined. I don't think there is anything in my 17 years that could help.

Good luck, the psych should be interesting.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/58544_154231144596602_131458296873887_407677_6870011_n.jpg

JCROWNII
10-13-2011, 08:16
Please, by all means, enlighten me.

I'm a NOT a know it all....nor do I claim to be. But if you can tell me and prove that what I have said is BS, I am willing to change my mind.

And as far as the psych....that test is BULL****...if some officers can pass it and then go on the job and rape women and children while they are in uniform, that test speaks for itself sir.

JCROWNII
10-13-2011, 08:32
[QUOTE=Officer X;18036198]I was going to reply with an in depth response but.. /QUOTE]

Your exponential experience is exemplified in this comment. It shows you really don't have anything relevant to say about the topic at hand.

Typical. "Listen to me, I'm a cop, I know it ALL!"

News Flash: Everyone, Everyone, Officer X passed the psychological! HE'S AS SANE AS CAN BE!!!!

Chuck54
10-13-2011, 09:54
Looks like FLPD has a good starting salary and good bennies

Panzergrenadier1979
10-13-2011, 10:24
JCROWNII,

1. There is more insight and practical advice on CT then I think you are aware of.

2. First impressions mean something.

That being said; I suspect that you have managed to turn off anyone on this board who would be willing to assist you in the future. The fact that you don't realize WHY is part of your problem.

If you can't handle a little real-world, unsugar-coated, straight-up advice from professional law enforcement officers then don't even bother to apply.

Good luck.

DaBigBR
10-13-2011, 11:17
Guys,

Thank You.

Your reply and your attitude are so entirely typical. I remember being told once that you don't know jack **** until you've done this job for five years, and the longer I watch, the truer it seems to be. What I take away from your comments are that because you are concerned or "curious", as you say, about what type of gun they carry, that you therefore know more than the god-knows-how-many years of service that have replied to your thread and that none of us have even considered things like "your sidearm and your proficiency with it might be the only thing that gets you home one night".

You also seem quick to lump us all in to a big lot with: "Those that shoot once a year to qualify and put their guns away I am personally scared for. If you think you are "trained" because of what they taught you in the academy, I feel sorry for you. I have personally seen everything from rust....to horse manure on a mounted officers firearm. No lube, completely filthy...if your one of them I am affraid for you. A lot of officers think they are armed just BECAUSE they are carrying a firearm...thats why most don't care about what gun they carry, nor do they perform maintainance, nor do they shoot them. That's why most of you can't shoot!"

I implore you to keep in mind which group of people posting in this thread have actually applied, tested, been selected, and been trained for a law enforcement position and furthermore have been putting their inferior, poorly maintained sidearm in its holster every day and going out with their inferior skill sets and improper mindset and looking for bad guys, and which of us are becoming defensive because we disagree with the knowledgeable opinions of the first group. It is, unfortunately, folks like you that make those of us that are "gun guys" have to keep it to ourselves until we're off probation for fear of being lumped in with the crazies. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and taking an elitist and belittling approach to convincing others of your point of view is a fool's errand.

If you really want to do this job, there is infinitely more to it than the firearm that you carry or your proficiency with it. Nobody has said that those things aren't important, but there are far more important things. Your eyes, ears, brain, and mouth are going to get you home a whole lot more than that pistol ever will.

DaBigBR
10-13-2011, 11:18
Please, by all means, enlighten me.

I'm a NOT a know it all....nor do I claim to be. But if you can tell me and prove that what I have said is BS, I am willing to change my mind.

And as far as the psych....that test is BULL****...if some officers can pass it and then go on the job and rape women and children while they are in uniform, that test speaks for itself sir.

I missed this gem. Do you know what a socipath is? Do you know how difficult they can be to detect?

KiloBravo
10-13-2011, 11:45
The the OP...

I can't answer your question, but I just want to say that you have come off as a class A dbag in this thread. You have insulted officers here, some of whom have more years on the job than you and myself have been alive. That was not a wise move, because now...do you really expect them to give you any solid advice, or even take you seriously now?

You need to grow the **** up and not apply for any more jobs in law enforcement until you do so. Idiots like you are who end up competing for spots in the academy against those that would actually make a great cop.

South Fla
10-13-2011, 11:47
Your reply and your attitude are so entirely typical. I remember being told once that you don't know jack **** until you've done this job for five years, and the longer I watch, the truer it seems to be. What I take away from your comments are that because you are concerned or "curious", as you say, about what type of gun they carry, that you therefore know more than the god-knows-how-many years of service that have replied to your thread and that none of us have even considered things like "your sidearm and your proficiency with it might be the only thing that gets you home one night".

You also seem quick to lump us all in to a big lot with: "Those that shoot once a year to qualify and put their guns away I am personally scared for. If you think you are "trained" because of what they taught you in the academy, I feel sorry for you. I have personally seen everything from rust....to horse manure on a mounted officers firearm. No lube, completely filthy...if your one of them I am affraid for you. A lot of officers think they are armed just BECAUSE they are carrying a firearm...thats why most don't care about what gun they carry, nor do they perform maintainance, nor do they shoot them. That's why most of you can't shoot!"

I implore you to keep in mind which group of people posting in this thread have actually applied, tested, been selected, and been trained for a law enforcement position and furthermore have been putting their inferior, poorly maintained sidearm in its holster every day and going out with their inferior skill sets and improper mindset and looking for bad guys, and which of us are becoming defensive because we disagree with the knowledgeable opinions of the first group. It is, unfortunately, folks like you that make those of us that are "gun guys" have to keep it to ourselves until we're off probation for fear of being lumped in with the crazies. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and taking an elitist and belittling approach to convincing others of your point of view is a fool's errand.

If you really want to do this job, there is infinitely more to it than the firearm that you carry or your proficiency with it. Nobody has said that those things aren't important, but there are far more important things. Your eyes, ears, brain, and mouth are going to get you home a whole lot more than that pistol ever will.

Bravo, DaBigBR. Bravo...Excellent post.

Furthermore, my department qualified us every 6 weeks. That was with the issued sidearm, off-duty weapon, shotgun and patrol rifle. So I think at least my department had significant time behind the gun.

And as far as I have personally seen everything from rust....to horse manure on a mounted officers firearm. No lube, completely filthy...if your one of them I am affraid for you., we were subjected to inspections of our firearms at any time of the day and night so they had to be cleaned and maintained on a very regular basis. Their theory was that you should keep your weapons clean just as you would your uniforms and your cruiser. And if you did not maintain these standards, you were subjected to discipline just as if you showed up for roll call wearing the latest lunch special a Sonny's BBQ.

Of course there are obvious exceptions like going straight to shift after qualifications or having to put down an animal, etc.

So you have "seen everything", eh?

JCROWNII
10-13-2011, 12:49
Like I said, I was misinterpreted. I was asking a simple question and ended up getting bombarded by comments irrelevant to my question. Your preaching to the choir, I never said that a sidearm is the reason to/or not to apply for a pd. Then all this other stuff about experience and my mouth will get me home more my pistol stuff came up. As said before, I know that. I was just speaking to the fact on what IF you have to use your firearm and it is one where you cannot get proficient with for w/e reason. Many police officers are plauged by carrying a gun they hate. As said before everyone has the right to formulate their own opinion but when I said most cops can't shoot....I didn't say all and I still stand by my opinion. First and last time I will visit cop talk. Be safe out there.

Zamis
10-13-2011, 12:59

Oh this is so true. I applied to the sheriffs dept as a reserve and during the oral it came up that I had a carry permit, and you could feel the coolness descend on the room. Later I was asked if I knew any officers and how I knew them. I said i knew few from shooting with them at USPSA and three gun matches. Then they wanted to know if I owned an AR type rifle. When I admitted I did indeed have one the coolness turned to ice in the room and I just knew I was out of consideration.

South Fla
10-13-2011, 14:48
Like I said, I was misinterpreted.
When politicians get called out on something, they usually say they are misinterpreted too.

I was asking a simple question and ended up getting bombarded by comments irrelevant to my question. Your preaching to the choir, I never said that a sidearm is the reason to/or not to apply for a pd.
You would have been better served asking the question without stating first out of the chute "I am looking into applying for FLPD...."

As said before everyone has the right to formulate their own opinion but when I said most cops can't shoot....I didn't say all and I still stand by my opinion.

So where did you garner this vast knowledge that "most cops can't shoot"?

Or is that along the lines of "I've seen everything"?

First and last time I will visit cop talk. Be safe out there.
:wavey:

Bruce M
10-13-2011, 16:19
I have worked with some guys who actually could shoot reasonably well, including one who recently retired, but back in the 80's was adequate enough to win a first place at the NRA Police Championship. While they did definitely have favorite handguns, they seemed to be able to do rather quite well with about any pistol or revolver accepted in police service. In the very limited circles in which I travel, in most cases, it appears that about 98% of it is the man behind the gun, and not the gun itself.

RVER
10-13-2011, 16:25
T H I C K S K I N ... They don't issue it and you can't buy it. But you better find it and wear it like a coat or your experiance on the "job" may be rather unplesant. Just saiyng kid....

Best wishes to you and your FTO. Stay safe.
:wavey:

Patchman
10-13-2011, 17:24
There are some very friendly yet very bad bunnies out there - very bad bunnies...

Bunnies. Wabbits.

Who are you in real life, Elmer Fudd? :supergrin:

RVER
10-13-2011, 17:49
Bunnies. Wabbits. Who are you in real life, Elmer Fudd? :supergrin:

You wascally wabbit, you almost blew my secwet cover!
:cool:

indigent
10-13-2011, 19:59
I missed this gem. Do you know what a socipath is? Do you know how difficult they can be to detect?

It's those people that are addicted to social media right?????

Those twitter addicts are hard to detect.

Typical 2 going on 20 attitude.

Sharky7
10-13-2011, 20:30
Two things.

1.) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humble

2.) If you get this wound up when you think a few guys on the internet misinterpret what you say - wait til you deal with the ****birds on the street or become the department FNG for the next year. Relax....lighten up....If you feel like you were misinterpreted, try and re-communicate your message, but don't go on the offensive. You are going to be rubbing a LOT of people the wrong way including people inside AND outside of the PD walls.

rudeboy3
10-13-2011, 21:47
Oh lawd this is gonna get good....

Sgt127
10-14-2011, 09:35
I think this will work out well for you. As soon as you get your FTO and Sergeant straightened out on how to interact with rookies, check back in with us. Best of luck to you.

MeefZah
10-14-2011, 10:10
What a turd. Ignore list +1.

TheGreatGonzo
10-14-2011, 10:38
Oh my...he is going to do well at the academy. The instructors are just going to love him! :rofl:

Civilian sheep Dog
10-14-2011, 19:41
My bro is a officer For Ft.Lauderdale I wouldnt be so worried about the sidearm rather the dept. your going to work for they have alot of turn over and moral issues vs the brass. From what I hearBSO is where its at, However w/ budgets cuts I guess a jobs a job. My bro carries a G23. if that helps

Sam Spade
10-14-2011, 19:58
Two things.

1.) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humble

2.) If you get this wound up when you think a few guys on the internet misinterpret what you say - wait til you deal with the ****birds on the street or become the department FNG for the next year. Relax....lighten up....If you feel like you were misinterpreted, try and re-communicate your message, but don't go on the offensive. You are going to be rubbing a LOT of people the wrong way including people inside AND outside of the PD walls.

:thumbsup:

"I was misinterpreted by all you guys". "I expressed that poorly". One of those is suitable from a guy who wants to join the club, the other isn't.

G_34
10-14-2011, 20:29
As said before everyone has the right to formulate their own opinion but when I said most cops can't shoot....I didn't say all and I still stand by my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that "most cops can't shoot." Its fairly simple, they either qualify each period, or they lose their weapon and either get admin leave or ride a desk. IF you get hired on here's a few tips...

1)The firearms instructors CAN shoot, and know more than you about weapons.
2)God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason, use your ears twice as much as your mouth

Kahr_Glockman
10-14-2011, 21:35
Our very own Bamatrooper certainly can't shoot. He certainly has not competed or won any matches that may or may not have been in GSSF.

Just sayin'.

Kahr_Glockman
10-14-2011, 21:37
i find it hard to believe that "most cops can't shoot." its fairly simple, they either qualify each period, or they lose their weapon and either get admin leave or ride a desk. If you get hired on here's a few tips...

1)the firearms instructors can shoot, and know more than you about weapons.
2)god gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason, use your ears twice as much as your mouth

qft..

op2k
10-15-2011, 18:13
OP, you mention that you have already passed 1 of 3 oral boards for the agencies you have applied for. Good for you. Since my agency neighbors FLPD, I can only hope that we are not one of the lucky canidates for your consideration. Given your attitude you have displayed toward the members of CT, I can only surmise that you would not be a great fit.

If we are so lucky, I'll be sure not to give you any softball questions when I'm sitting across the table from you :)

Panzergrenadier1979
10-15-2011, 18:41
I wonder what the odds are of the OP owning a 10 y/o crown vic with a push bar, spot light and a TBL sticker on BOTH ends of the vehicle? :whistling:

slama683
10-16-2011, 02:15
Sweet feathery baby Jesus:wow:

Just who exactly do you think you are talking to? Here's a hint, half of us are probably sitting in on oral boards listening to idiots like you, and the other half are hoping you get bounced because we have to try to train idiots like you. All of us have done bad things to bad people, and none of us are willing to be spoken to by some arrogant ******-bag who parrots a bunch of crap that he learned in a sixteen hour pistol class taught by some retarded club-footed jackalope that can't see his belt-buckle and whose greatest achievement was being a security guard after bombing in FTO.

You have a lot to learn and don't have the attitude to listen.

slama683
10-16-2011, 02:26
And by the way, your grammar sucks, as does your spelling. In most agencies and/or academies, you won't have to worry about demonstrating your prowess with your weapon of choice, because if you cannot master the English language in a written format, you will be asked to un-ass your seat before long.

And stop pointing out meaningless examples, to wit "I know of officers who have been killed shortly after going out on their own...". So the **** what? What does their experience or lack thereof prove? How were they killed? I can cite examples of veteran officers who were killed a long time after going out on their own. So what? In this job, you can do everything right and still get hurt or killed.

Interacting with people with attitudes like yours makes me feel the need to switch to decaf.

RVER
10-16-2011, 15:55
slama683, you go baby, tell 'em what you think! Just a little more gentle... C'mon man, we're supposed to be the more people friendly and gentile type.
Just sayin brother, wouldn't want him filing paper on you, that's all... :rofl:

RVER
10-16-2011, 15:57
I wonder what the odds are of the OP owning a 10 y/o crown vic with a push bar, spot light and a TBL sticker on BOTH ends of the vehicle? :whistling:

You know this ******??? :shocked:

Panzergrenadier1979
10-16-2011, 17:05
You know this ******??? :shocked:

Nope. Call it a hunch. :supergrin:

NoGlamour229
10-16-2011, 18:38
What a great way to end my day with a bit of a laugh! I certainly feel dumber for having read his comments.:milestone:

Magicmanmb
10-18-2011, 17:14
Just as long as Sigma's are not on the list. Came off this year in favor of 1911 or G21.

DaBigBR
10-18-2011, 22:19
Hmm...he hasn't been back. Must be in the academy.

South Fla
10-18-2011, 23:18
Hmm...he hasn't been back. Must be in the academy.

I don't think they have Academy stores in Ft. Lauderdale.

Because I know you didn't mean the po-po academy. :supergrin:

I would love to see his psych evaluation and the polygraph packet...if he gets that far.

DaBigBR
10-19-2011, 08:56
I don't think they have Academy stores in Ft. Lauderdale.

Because I know you didn't mean the po-po academy. :supergrin:

I would love to see his psych evaluation and the polygraph packet...if he gets that far.

No, I did. Clearly he has all of the earmarks of a fast riser in the agency that no doubt tripped all over itself hiring him.

South Fla
10-19-2011, 10:36
No, I did. Clearly he has all of the earmarks of a fast riser in the agency that no doubt tripped all over itself hiring him.

You know, you are right.

I just didn't think he might get that far to be hired. But after some of the supervisors and brass that I served under and have seen on other departments, he would fit right in.

Bruce M
10-20-2011, 05:42
"After I graduate, I am gonna' do a couple months on the road, then I am gonna' go to SWAT or Homicide, I'm just not sure which yet."

Officer X
10-20-2011, 06:51
"After I graduate, I am gonna' do a couple months on the road, then I am gonna' go to SWAT or Homicide, I'm just not sure which yet."

LOL

Had a guy with two years otj whining a couple months back because he wasn't picked to go into the DB.

South Fla
10-20-2011, 11:56

I like the ones that say much along the same thing but:

"I wanna be a cop, but I don't wanna have to wear a uniform and do that stuff. I wanna be on the SWAT team or work undercover."

Magicmanmb
10-20-2011, 13:00
Between reserve, active patrol & investigation. I have 24 years or so in. I still keep updated & still learn something new almost every time I go out to breakfast or lunch with some of the retired bosses that had 30 or 40 years in. First thing I learned was to shut my mouth unless asked and listen to everything. A lot is war stories but you can still pick up info to keep you alive. Currently when an old partner pulls the plug next week the average age of an officer will be 31. Most with less than 5 years on. Hope they did the same and listened.