What causes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What causes

rpgman
10-13-2011, 15:47
Light primer strikes?

I had about 20 rounds out of 100 not go off n all had a light strike on them.

Im using Precision Delta 165gr .40 bullet.

50 were using 5.8gr of Unique and 50 using 5.9gr of Unique.
All with an OAL of between 1.115 to 1.120.

I feed each one in manually n they shot

Thanks
Greg

Boxerglocker
10-13-2011, 15:50
If they shot the second time it most likely high, insufficiently seated primers.

Shadyscott69
10-13-2011, 15:52
Light primer strikes?

I had about 20 rounds out of 100 not go off n all had a light strike on them.

Im using Precision Delta 165gr .40 bullet.

50 wete using 5.8gr of Unique and 50 using 5.9gr of Unique.
All with an OAL of between 1.115 to 1.120.

I feed each one in manually n they shot

Thanks
Greg

Is the gun stock? If so, it is most likely a primer seating issue.

rpgman
10-13-2011, 16:00
Gun is all stock G27

What's weird is on Sunday I shot 50 rounds no problem

So is it because it was seated too deep or not deep enough or just not seated correctly?

Shadyscott69
10-13-2011, 16:08
Gun is all stock G27

What's weird is on Sunday I shot 50 rounds no problem

So is it because it was seated too deep or not deep enough or just not seated correctly?

Not deep enough. The first strike fully seated them and the second strike busted off the primer. Most likely.

rpgman
10-13-2011, 16:11
Not deep enough. The first strike fully seated them and the second strike busted off the primer. Most likely.

Well even after I loaded them back in the mag they didn't shoot.
I had to manually load each one in the chamber before they shot

So still not deep enough seated issue?

Shadyscott69
10-13-2011, 16:14
Well even after I loaded them back in the mag they didn't shoot.
I had to manually load each one in the chamber before they shot

So still not deep enough seated issue?

Not sure. What brand of primers?

rpgman
10-13-2011, 16:17
Not sure. What brand of primers?

Winchester small pistol

Shadyscott69
10-13-2011, 16:20
Winchester small pistol

I am still leaning,seating issue. Are you primers seated below flush with the case?

ron59
10-13-2011, 16:20
You didn't change any springs out?

You know... there IS a thread about "Light Primer Strikes" just below this one that's been going on for a week?

Discussed has been:
Primer seating
Light striker springs
CCI primers being harder to ignite than Federals

GioaJack
10-13-2011, 16:25
If they shot after you loaded them by hand you most likely chambered them by pushing them in with thumb pressure. If your bell/flare is slightly oversized or your OAL is slightly long slide/recoil spring pressure my not be enough to fully seat the round. When you tried to fire them a second time from the mag the pin strike may just be pushing the round further ahead in the chamber.

As an aside... are you really going to take advice from a guy that starts his screen name with the word, Shady? :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
10-13-2011, 16:33
Did the rounds go all the way into battery? Or did you have to bump the slide?
Loading one round at a time by putting the round in the chamber and closing the slide is a good way to break the extractor.

Shadyscott69
10-13-2011, 16:42
If they shot after you loaded them by hand you most likely chambered them by pushing them in with thumb pressure. If your bell/flare is slightly oversized or your OAL is slightly long slide/recoil spring pressure my not be enough to fully seat the round. When you tried to fire them a second time from the mag the pin strike may just be pushing the round further ahead in the chamber.

As an aside... are you really going to take advice from a guy that starts his screen name with the word, Shady? :whistling:

Jack

:wavey:

Shadyscott69
10-13-2011, 16:43

You know... there IS a thread about "Light Primer Strikes" just below this one that's been going on for a week?

Discussed has been:
Primer seating
Light striker springs

In his defense, it has degraded into the "How many ways can we make fun of Jack" thread. :rofl:

ron59
10-13-2011, 16:55

And is he SLIM?

(If you don't know who Eminem is, you won't get the reference).

Three-Five-Seven
10-13-2011, 17:08
There have been some reports of bad batches of Winchester primers recently. Some shops around here have been sending whole lots back.

Use good primers (preferably Federal) and report back.

rpgman
10-13-2011, 17:26
There have been some reports of bad batches of Winchester primers recently. Some shops around here have been sending whole lots back.

Use good primers (preferably Federal) and report back.

I used the same primers with 100 rounds of 9mm and everyone shot fine.

rpgman
10-13-2011, 17:29

Jack

Thanks
I didn't put any pressure when putting those into the chamber.
Just dropped them in n closed the slide

Im betting like u said the OAL was on the long side for those rounds

rpgman
10-13-2011, 17:34

Discussed has been:
Primer seating
Light striker springs

Np springs changed.
I didn't notice the thread im on my android phone n it's hard to read
Greg