Interesting video of (armed?) robbery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video of (armed?) robbery

glock_ME
10-14-2011, 04:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H6BgWecVWE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fillinois.edu%2Flb%2Farticle%2F2668%2F55464&feature=player_embedded

Second guy appears to show a weapon.

Dare I ask what you would do?

kempeh
10-14-2011, 05:28
IMO, It looks staged. The other people don't even move from sitting down or even seem to look in the robbery direction. I understand the guy has a gun but after he keeps walking away the last thing I'm going to do is just sit back down at my table like nothing happened.

RussP
10-14-2011, 05:41
Dare I ask what you would do?Call 911

kensteele
10-14-2011, 09:46
Let them leave. You have no right to stop them from leaving, once he turns his back and is walking away, the crime is over. Don't even think about shooting them in the back especially over your property. He obviously came to get your wallet, he got it, now let him leave with it because he doesn't want to hurt you (statistics say so). Call 911, wait 20-30 minutes for the police to arrive, hopefully you get some of your property back later.

TKOFaith
10-14-2011, 09:58
Call 911

^^^This

cmoore04
10-14-2011, 10:41
You have no right to stop them from leaving, once he turns his back and is walking away, the crime is over.

This is not true, citizen's arrest. California Penal Code (and I'm sure other states) give gives citizens the right to detain and arrest for public offenses.

837. A private person may arrest another:
1. For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence.
2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not
in his presence.
3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable
cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

This means you can stop them. and you can justify using force according to other sections. But can and should are two different things. Are you willing to get hurt or hurt someone else for replaceable items?

Warp
10-14-2011, 11:04
This means you can stop them. and you can justify using force according to other sections. But can and should are two different things. Are you willing to get hurt or hurt someone else for replaceable items?

Or get arrested or sued.

Or all of the above.

TKOFaith
10-14-2011, 11:07

This is true. "Stuff" isn't worth the risk IMHO.

Sam Spade
10-14-2011, 11:51
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

The crime is not "over" while the criminals are making their escape. And anyone can sue anyone---so what?

Now, to separate what you're justified in doing from what you ought to do: Call 911.

Lord
10-14-2011, 11:59
Looks like at the very end of that, the guy is reaching to get a cell phone or something so maybe he was going to call 911....

Side note: in TX we have the right to actively pursue, but in this case there's two ... there's no other way to say it... an active pursuit would more than likely mean someone gets shot. Stuff can be replaced. Grab the phone

IT0
10-14-2011, 12:54
Just call 911, a wallet is not worth shooting or getting shot over.

glock_ME
10-14-2011, 13:43
For the record the perps snatched an IPAD.

And I agree, calling 911 is the smart move. :whistling:

alabaster
10-14-2011, 13:49
For the record the perps snatched an IPAD.

And I agree, calling 911 is the smart move. :whistling:

word. I agree. What SHOULD YOU DO? Or, What WOULD YOU DO? This is a bigger issue than an iPad. Steve Jobs wouldn't want you blasting some kid over one of his technotoys. Still, these fools have done this type of thing before, and will continue to until someone gives them reason not to.:steamed:

For this, I'll gladly volunteer..

StarfoxHowl
10-14-2011, 14:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H6BgWecVWE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fillinois.edu%2Flb%2Farticle%2F2668%2F55464&feature=player_embedded

Staged.

AA#5
10-14-2011, 14:31
Whether stated or not, calling police would be the only wise move.

Even if no weapon was involved, two young guys against one obese guy = not good for the victim. The victim was hardly in any condition to chase anyone & whatever was stolen isn't worth injury or worse.

Goldendog Redux
10-14-2011, 14:41
That robbery reminds me of this one. I think the victim's friend did the right thing. Caution there's a curse word in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEWE7gcPw0#t=1m41s

Peace Frog
10-14-2011, 14:50
Out in public I'd call 911...but in Texas you can use deadly force on a fleeing suspect.Yeah I know somebody is going to say that I'm wrong.Look it up.
I would not use deadly force if someone stole my iPad,phone,wallet etc... in public.
But if you are fleeing from my home with my property you may get some lead flying your way.I have things that cannot be replaced in my home and if somebody takes off with them I hope they can run real dang fast. :whistling:

barstoolguru
10-14-2011, 15:53
what a bunch of whoosys.... call 911..... sir what did he look like.... well he was black and had a t shirt on....... ok thanks for the info.... with this and a dollar we should be able to get some coffee... what a waste of time

kensteele
10-14-2011, 16:25
there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in my previous post that was obviously missed.

Peace Frog
10-14-2011, 16:48
Are you willing to get hurt or hurt someone else for replaceable items?

What about items that cannot be replaced?:dunno:

Civilian sheep Dog
10-14-2011, 18:35

I would of wrote it off, but that dude that squared up would of lost his front teeth and if he would of produced a weapon then would be in a battle for his life. I can't understand why people will just let themselves become victims "call the cops" All their gonna do is fill out the paper work and say will look into it. But more then likely their gonna chalk you up to a statistic of a robbery. But I didnt see a gun in this video however I think he wanted the victim to believe he had one.

Sharky7
10-14-2011, 19:05
Stolen Ipad becomes the secondary issue when you have a possible deadly force threat in front of you.

Deal with the guy in front of you first - he is the threat....After he is under arrest he might just drop a dime on his buddy who stole your Ipad.

RussP
10-14-2011, 19:08
what a bunch of whoosys.... call 911..... sir what did he look like.... well he was black and had a t shirt on....... ok thanks for the info.... with this and a dollar we should be able to get some coffee... what a waste of timeThe question is:Dare I ask what you would do?So, what would you do?

kensteele
10-14-2011, 20:17
I would of wrote it off, but that dude that squared up would of lost his front teeth and if he would of produced a weapon then would be in a battle for his life. I can't understand why people will just let themselves become victims "call the cops" All their gonna do is fill out the paper work and say will look into it. But more then likely their gonna chalk you up to a statistic of a robbery. But I didnt see a gun in this video however I think he wanted the victim to believe he had one.

Ok, I understand now, because I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :rofl:

Master_Blaster1911
10-14-2011, 22:02
Out in public I'd call 911...but in Texas you can use deadly force on a fleeing suspect.Yeah I know somebody is going to say that I'm wrong.Look it up.
I would not use deadly force if someone stole my iPad,phone,wallet etc... in public.
But if you are fleeing from my home with my property you may get some lead flying your way.I have things that cannot be replaced in my home and if somebody takes off with them I hope they can run real dang fast. :whistling:

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and
(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:
(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;
(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
(C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);
(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and
(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.
(c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this section.
(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Sec. 29.03. AGGRAVATED ROBBERY. (a) A person commits an offense if he commits robbery as defined in Section 29.02, and he:
(1) causes serious bodily injury to another;
(2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon; or
(3) causes bodily injury to another person or threatens or places another person in fear of imminent bodily injury or death, if the other person is:
(A) 65 years of age or older; or
(B) a disabled person.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.
(c) In this section, "disabled person" means an individual with a mental, physical, or developmental disability who is substantially unable to protect himself from harm.

Not knowing what the second person said, but a reasoned person doesn't deduce he flashed a watch and asked if the victim wanted a Rolex.

Had he shown a gun and communicated involvment/intimidation he was a part of the aggravated robbery...

Capt Don
10-15-2011, 15:19

The thug was in the perfect position to get knocked the F out !! Hands down by his side, all thugged up. He would have caught a right cross and then looking at the muzzle end of a .45 !!

beatcop
10-15-2011, 15:50
What to do, what to do? Gunfight vs. Ipad?

The item is long gone...you prob wouldn't beat the guy to the draw seeing he already grabbed and showed his "pistol".

I'd like to see the chubby customer tackle the fool after a sprint...that would be a good hit.

Sharky7
10-15-2011, 15:59
How did you get a hold of this link...it is unlisted?

kensteele
10-15-2011, 19:01
How did you get a hold of this link...it is unlisted?

Is it possible it was public for awhile before becoming unlisted? Or does the old link get deactivated and replaced? Or must videos get posted as private from the get go? Don't know how YT works.