Academy shopping is fun! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Academy shopping is fun!

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 13:00
It is fun, but I think it is more stressful than any other part of the hiring process! haha

It is quite a bit of money to front for all of the required gear, but I feel it is a very small investment for my dream career for the next 30 years. I will more than make back everything that I have to spend with my first paycheck. Thank goodness that I had some of the items already, so that is saving me a few bucks. I am also very happy that the really expensive stuff like duty leather, firearm, vest, etc. are all provided to me when I get there.

My shopping list is getting smaller though! Just a few items left to go. :supergrin:

Patchman
10-14-2011, 13:54
At your stay-away-academy, you don't plan on wearing thongs or going "commando," do you?

Wife-beater T-shirts would be nice.

You guys don't get an annual uniform/equipment $allowance$?

Trigger Finger
10-14-2011, 14:28
What academy are you talking about?

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 14:28
At your stay-away-academy, you don't plan on wearing thongs or going "commando," do you?

Wife-beater T-shirts would be nice.

You guys don't get an annual uniform/equipment $allowance$?

The only "thongs" that I will be taking along are shower flip flops! :tongueout: I am also taking the required white crew neck pocketless t-shirts, and not wife beaters.

Troopers get an annual uniform allowance. Pee-on Cadets just starting out in the academy are required to buy a specific list of gear to take with them for their stay during training. :embarassed:

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 14:29
What academy are you talking about?

State Police Academy

msu_grad_121
10-14-2011, 14:42
The only "thongs" that I will be taking along are shower flip flops! :tongueout: I am also taking the required white crew neck pocketless t-shirts, and not wife beaters.

Troopers get an annual uniform allowance. Pee-on Cadets just starting out in the academy are required to buy a specific list of gear to take with them for their stay during training. :embarassed:

So...you're going thru their academy, on their dime, with them paying you, but you have to buy all your own equipment to do so? Sounds kinda bass-ackwards, but what do I know? Good luck either way, keep your nose clean!

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 14:46
So...you're going thru their academy, on their dime, with them paying you, but you have to buy all your own equipment to do so? Sounds kinda bass-ackwards, but what do I know? Good luck either way, keep your nose clean!

You have it right. No complaints what so every from me though. I am happy to have been selected. They are providing the expensive stuff though, so I am very happy about that. :cool:

Bushido5150
10-14-2011, 15:44
At least you don't have to pay for the academy, the gear, all the tests, etc...

I'm getting to drop a big chunk of change on recert in a month.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 16:02

That is true. I feel very fortunate to have as much provided as I already have. I am not complaining one bit.

msu_grad_121
10-14-2011, 16:21

Yeah, same boat here. Gotta love the MI job market and the fact that MCOLES only gives you a year to find a job when most hiring processes can take 6 to 9 months easily.

Aux Bear
10-14-2011, 16:26
Best Wishes on the First Day of the rest of your life. May it be long and be exactly what you wanted. I should have gone FT years ago in lieu of getting stranded in private industry and just going Aux./Reserve. I enjoy every hour I get to put in.

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 16:34
Best Wishes on the First Day of the rest of your life. May it be long and be exactly what you wanted. I should have gone FT years ago in lieu of getting stranded in private industry and just going Aux./Reserve. I enjoy every hour I get to put in.

Thank you for what you do! :wavey:

The reserves and part time guys put just as much on the line every shift as the full timers do.

Patchman
10-14-2011, 19:27

We get our allowance check in December. My academy was July to end of January, and IIRC, we got our allowance checks that December, while still in the academy.

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 19:42
We get our allowance check in December. My academy was July to end of January, and IIRC, we got our allowance checks that December, while still in the academy.

That might be how it works out for us too. I just don't know it yet. I guess I shall see soon enough. :cool:

Ajon412
10-14-2011, 19:45

WOW...Brings back memories....A powder blue shirt, navy blue pants, black shoes, a blue tie and a 1960's era black "school bag" to lug all of my required text back and forth from home...:rofl:...Mine was from January to July and had to wait until December to get the allowance $$$$$...

Patchman
10-14-2011, 20:30
Mine was from January to July and had to wait until December to get the allowance $$$$$...

Ajon, was this when the allowance was still being paid out in a separate check?

If it was, I'm just going to assume you told your wife all about the allowance money. :supergrin:

Ajon412
10-14-2011, 20:40
Ajon, was this when the allowance was still being paid out in a separate check?

If it was, I'm just going to assume you told your wife all about the allowance money. :supergrin:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT......:whistling::whistling:...Yes, it was a separate check until, IIRC, the late 80's when THEY decided to include it in your regular pay and it was taxed to the hilt....:steamed:...It was all down hill from there.....

Bushido5150
10-14-2011, 20:46
Yeah, same boat here. Gotta love the MI job market and the fact that MCOLES only gives you a year to find a job when most hiring processes can take 6 to 9 months easily.

I thought you were working?

msu_grad_121
10-14-2011, 20:52
I thought you were working?

Not yet. I'm on a bunch of lists, and had an offer, but that got recinded with the quickness. I'm in the running for a job out of state which doesn't look bad, but no real job so far.

I still crack up when I talk to people about the academy and they complain about the cost, and all I can think is, "just wait til they hit you with uniforms, vehicle rental fees, weapon rental fees, make you pay for your own tests, etc." :whistling:

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 21:08
Guys...I did not mean for my original post to come off as a complaint. If some folks took it that way, I apologize. I am super fortunate to have received this offer, and blessed to have as much paid for as I do.

indigent
10-14-2011, 21:08
I'm afraid to add up how much my academy costs were. I'd be close to 4 grand just with tuition and weapon.

I shudder at what the grand total might be.

Bushido5150
10-14-2011, 21:16
Guys...I did not mean for my original post to come off as a complaint. If some folks took it that way, I apologize. I am super fortunate to have received this offer, and blessed to have as much paid for as I do.

On not at all. Have fun with it. I had a blast spending a ton of money.

KiloBravo
10-14-2011, 21:22
On not at all. Have fun with it. I had a blast spending a ton of money.

I am having a ton of fun doing it to, to be honest. :supergrin:

In my mind, gathering up all of the gear I need is kind of like investing in my future. I know that it will all more than pay off in the end.

msu_grad_121
10-14-2011, 21:30

I don't think anyone took it that way, but I could be wrong. I just had to laugh cuz it brought back memories of how much I dropped on "ancillaries" for the academy, and then I DID start complaining! :rofl:

In all seriousness, congrats again, and get the nicest stuff you can. If you're anything like a normal cop, you'll end up with a box full of stuff that you tried and didn't like or never got approved, etc.

Kahr_Glockman
10-14-2011, 21:43
I'm afraid to add up how much my academy costs were. I'd be close to 4 grand just with tuition and weapon.

I shudder at what the grand total might be.

Your the one that wanted the fancy pistol, so quit your *****in'.

SCSU74
10-15-2011, 11:32
It is fun, but I think it is more stressful than any other part of the hiring process! haha

It is quite a bit of money to front for all of the required gear, but I feel it is a very small investment for my dream career for the next 30 years. I will more than make back everything that I have to spend with my first paycheck. Thank goodness that I had some of the items already, so that is saving me a few bucks. I am also very happy that the really expensive stuff like duty leather, firearm, vest, etc. are all provided to me when I get there.

My shopping list is getting smaller though! Just a few items left to go. :supergrin:

ouch thats a big chunk of change, my pd covered everything even pens, pencils, notepads. They also reimbursed us for the cost of our running shoes...

RyanNREMTP
10-15-2011, 23:01
When I started my academy we were told $2000 should cover it all. I passed the $2000 mark before class started. Since then I've bought a duty belt, holster, cuff case, keepers, mag pouch and other little accessories. Next week I get to buy a thousand rounds of ammo. That is another $180. Oh well, I'm loving it so far. Yesterday we did the pepper spray drill. Loved that and kinda wanted to do it again.

msu_grad_121
10-15-2011, 23:14
...pepper spray drill...

Spray, then fight? Nothing caused more freaking out amongst my classmates than this. Wusses.

And $2K? Deal! I dropped $5500 just to get in! That didn't cover uniforms, shoes, supplies, etc. Crazy! :rofl:

RyanNREMTP
10-16-2011, 02:34
Spray, then fight? Nothing caused more freaking out amongst my classmates than this. Wusses.

And $2K? Deal! I dropped $5500 just to get in! That didn't cover uniforms, shoes, supplies, etc. Crazy! :rofl:

Just to get in this one was $1400. That covered tuition, books, some uniforms. The rest went to other parts of the uniforms, medical exam, psych eval (which I have no idea how I passed it), drug screening and other miscellaneous stuff. I'm glad it wasn't more.

We have a few people that have been sprayed before and they talked about how bad it was. I went in with the mindset of I don't care, let's just get it over with. So I ended up being the second to last one to go. What hurt the most was the Freeze Plus getting on my sunburn I got on my head from waiting outside to go.