20 gauge pump hd [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 20 gauge pump hd

joeshdog
10-14-2011, 17:27
Mas, getting a shotgun for home defense use, no hunting intended. Shot 12's when younger and feel l could still handle one although wouldnt be against a 20. Have a very good friend in LE who recommends the Rem and a brother in law who likes the Moss. I have no preference. I do believe in having the correct tool for the job it was purchased for. Anything less is usually a regret. 22's make for nice target shooting but 45's watch the door. My instinct tells me to go with 12 but the more l read is it overkill for hd? Ive read that you prefer 20 gauge for hd and the Mossberg 500 over the Rem 870. Is this true? Is there more of a difference than the safety locations. If so please help me out, they are both nice. Was ready to order the Rem 870 hd pump but couldnt decide on the gauge. Thanks Mas

Mas Ayoob
10-14-2011, 17:54
Joe, while the Remington 870 has long had the Flex-Tab shell carrier that cured the shell-slippage problem that allowed a round to escape the magazine and trap itself between shell lift and bolt, locking the gun, the last I knew was that modification existed only on the 12 gauge models. This is probably why I see such jams occasionally on the 20 gauge 870, but not the 12 gauge. Therefore, while I'm very happy with the 870 as a 12 gauge pump gun, I'm not enamored of it as a 20 gauge pump.

To me, in a 12 gauge pump, Mossberg versus Remington is the Mossberg's faster reloading and more ergonomic and ambidextrous safety operation, versus the Remington's generally smoother action. I can live with either. In a 20, I'll go Mossberg for the reason stated in the first paragraph.

If you're the rare man who can keep a 20 gauge on target at the same extreme rapid fire pace as a 12 gauge, more power to ya. However, remember the home defense gun is a "pool weapon" that may be used by family members of smaller stature and less strength and experience than you, and THEY will be better served by a 20. When you figure the volume of lead and the speed of the projectile(s), a 20 gauge buckshot blast at close range is kinda like two .44 Magnum hits at once: it'll get the job done.

Finally, before you buy, consider going with an auto instead of a pump. It takes a LOT of habituation to run a pump gun swiftly on "auto pilot," and while you may have the skill and experience to do it, the others in the home defense "pool" who resort to that gun may not.

Best,
Mas

joeshdog
10-15-2011, 14:54
Thank you for the info. Was not aware of the jamming issue with the Rem 20. I will also look into the auto's. Want to thank you again for the reply to the "firearm and travel" question back in August when we were flying to Wyoming. Two flights down and two flights back without a hitch! The g23 was on duty the whole time. Except on the planes of course :)