What would you do????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?????

davesretired1
10-15-2011, 19:27
I get the feeling this is going to hurt, but.......here goes.......I have a 550 set up for .45ACP. I also have a pile of misc parts but not enough to totally retool over to 9mm. Assuming I needed to buy all the parts required to load 9mm, the cost was approx. $270 when I stopped at Dillons today. The cost of a brand new Square Deal is $379 (+/-). Since the 9mm is for my wife, and she is willing to do the reloading for herself, should I spend the extra $100 and get her her own press, or allow her to share mine? :juggle:

fredj338
10-15-2011, 19:58
I am not sure how you come away w/ $270 for a 9mm setup. You need a conv kit, tool head, dies & powder die, so about $86 + dies. You don't have to use Dillon, although I like them, but total w/ say Lee dies, about $112? If you just want to buy an SDB & let your wife load, that is reason enough.

Colorado4Wheel
10-15-2011, 20:02
$150 with Dillon Dies. I guess if you added a powder measure and a stand it could add up to a lot more. I don't see the point myself.

This is why I bought a LCT.

Boxerglocker
10-15-2011, 20:05
If it were me.... set the 550 up in 9mm for her and get myself a 650 :supergrin:

GioaJack
10-15-2011, 20:24
HEY, what the hell is going on here? You said you were buying her a SDB last year for Christmas!

Oh, I get it... different wife, huh. :whistling:

Jack

davesretired1
10-15-2011, 20:45
Yeah......life got in the way. The quote of $270 was for everything. Dies, powder measure, small primer setup, etc. Notice I said everything for 9mm. When I had my 650, that was how I switched between .45 and .38 super, and would prefer it that way for the 550. I know you younguns have no problem switching things around, but I'm a devout believer in the K.I.S.S. system. As far as Boxer's suggestion goes, Social Security only goes so far!:crying:When I decided to not get the SD last year, we had decided that we would both shoot .45. She's been having some operational problems with the G30, but shoot's a G17 just fine. So back we go to 9mm.:faint:

Colorado4Wheel
10-15-2011, 20:47
Since the 9mm is for my wife, and she is willing to do the reloading for herself, should I spend the extra $100 and get her her own press, or allow her to share mine? :juggle:

How long is that going to last? Is reloading going to cause her to want to not shoot any longer?

In the end it's probably better to just load her ammo yourself.

Boxerglocker
10-15-2011, 21:42
As far as Boxer's suggestion goes, Social Security only goes so far!:crying:When I decided to not get the SD last year, we had decided that we would both shoot .45. She's been having some operational problems with the G30, but shoot's a G17 just fine. So back we go to 9mm.:faint:

I can understand. Seriously, If it were me. I would do the conversion, just a tool head with powder die and 9mm dies. Use you current powder drop assembly but add a UNIQUETEK micrometer powder measure. Graph your different powders used (or better yet use one for both calibers) and log them for reference.
I know some guys like having complete quick changes but I'm not one of them. I don't like leaving powder in the tube other than overnight, so if I'm gonna pour it out it only takes a minute more to more it over to another preset tool head.

davesretired1
10-15-2011, 21:44
Haha.....good one:rofl:. Nah, equal opportunity here. She wants to shoot, she can reload. I have enough trouble finding time to reload my own ammo what with naps and shuffleboard and stuff.

davesretired1
10-15-2011, 21:47
Guess I'm going to have to start including quotes. My reply above was for Colorado.:wavey: Going to have to think about this for a while. Time for a nap!

Colorado4Wheel
10-16-2011, 07:12
I figured that was for me. If she wants to reload then she should at least learn how before you spend $380 for a new press. Let her learn on the 550 loading .45. I only know one women who reloads. Also, the 650 is MUCH easier to operate then a SDB. It may be smarter to get a single press that is better and easier to use then the cheaper press that might wear her out.

unclebob
10-16-2011, 07:26
At one time I was kind of in the same boat. If it was me I would sell the 550 on EBay and the other parts separately and probably have enough money to buy a 650. Get another complete primer magazine assembly. If you donít want to get another powder measure? Just get another powder bar. For pistol they are easy to change back and forth. Leave the small primer punch for both small and large primers. Conversion takes about 7 minutes. If you donít want to spring for a case feeder? One person loads and the other person keeps primer tubes filled and brass tube filled with brass. Doing this your reloading time will be cut in about half. You would only need one press and the price I think would be about the same if you bought another press.

davesretired1
10-16-2011, 14:22
Thanks for the comments. I had a 650 a few years ago ( before I moved to AZ ). To be perfectly honest, I found it to be a little fussy to run. Granted when it was running ok, it was great, but every hundred rounds or so, something would throw off the rythym, ie., screwed up primer, case not feeding properly, etc. I'll be the first to say that I was most likely the problem. Also at the time, I was working and could afford to buy reloaded ammo from a friend of mine. I was using .40 ( LTD ), .38s ( Open ), and .45 ( SD ). When I moved, I sold everything except the 550 I currently have that another friend of mine was using. When he stopped shooting ( illness ), he sent it out to me. That is why I don't have a lot of the conversion pieces.

My wife has got back into shooting in a big way and has settled on 9mm. As I'm no longer earning what I used to, I've gotten back into reloading. I need to go thru my stuff to see exactly what I do have. Hopefully I can put tgether a 9mm set up and not have to buy everything. If not though, then I think a SD is in my future. She has no problem reloading. It would just be convenient to be able to load both at the same time ( you know...quality time together!).

Don't know what to say about only knowing one woman who reloads. My wife shoots handguns and rifles well, has hunted and camped, and currently rides her own bike ( a Goldwing ). What can I say....just lucky I suppose. Thanks for the comments anyways. OOPS......time for my nappy. Dave

ron59
10-16-2011, 20:14
Small primer setup? should have been shipped with setups for BOTH small and large primers, even 2 pickup tubes for each.

davesretired1
10-16-2011, 23:17
Small primer setup? should have been shipped with setups for BOTH small and large primers, even 2 pickup tubes for each.

You are probably correct, BUT, please read my posts....I don't have the small primer setup anymore, just random parts. :crying:Dave