870 Police--failure to extract. ((pics)) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Police--failure to extract. ((pics))

Meat-Hook
10-16-2011, 03:29
I dont know why this is happening, but all of a sudden my Remington 870 Police ((wood stocks)) stopped extracting shells. Before Today,..it was working like a dream.

Im not a gunsmith so I dont know why this is happening. I can speculate this:,...

The extractor does not appear to be going fully into Battery,..or the extracter claw Hooking onto the rim of the case. As a result,..there is that tiny bit of headspacing causing the shells to bulge when this shotgun is fired. ???

It appears that when the shotgun is fired that during the recoil process, the rim of the shell casing is slamming into the extractor. This is why you see the mark/fingerprint of the extractor dented into the rim of the shell casing.?? But I may be wrong. Imnot a gunsmith.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/000_0416.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/000_0421.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/000_0418.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/000_0417-1.jpg

WoodenPlank
10-16-2011, 03:49
First things that come to mind would be a very dirty chamber causing the hulls to stick, a work/weak/misaligned/bent extractor, or a weak extractor spring. I don't know shotguns as well as I do ARs, though. Plus, I'm a Mossberg owner, not remington. Aippi will probably have more insight, but those three things would be my initial reaction.

Edit to add: Something definitely looks "off" about that extractor to me. Again, I have no basis for comparison for that, and it could be perfectly normal for an 870... but it doesn't look right to me.

aippi
10-16-2011, 06:35
Is it doing this with other ammo?

Meat-Hook
10-16-2011, 13:18
It appears to be doing it with other ammo. I fired the Fiocchi ammo which has the dark brown shells then switched over to the red shell casings. I forget what make they are. They have a wreath on them with 3 3/4-1 1/4 markings. On the brass they are marked 12 GA Made in USA.

The interesting part about the red shells is that they dont appear to have the extractor strike marks on the brass, yet they bulged and failed to extract.

aippi
10-16-2011, 16:16
Shoot some regular Remington, Winchester or Federal stuff and tell me if this is happening. I don't know what kind of ammo that stuff is and can't tell you what is going on till I know it is not an ammo issue. Once I know, I can help you as I am Factory Certified on you 870P and do this for a living.

ArmoryDoc
10-16-2011, 16:21
Check into the extractor relief (cutout) next to the chamber. Use a "hook", or something sharp to make sure nothing is plugging up the cutout while the bolt is in battery. That extractor may be contacting something that is not allowing the hook to spring back against the brass rim. Just a thought.

xracer390
10-17-2011, 16:22
I know little to nothing about shotguns but are you loading 3 inch shells in a gun chambered for shorter rounds ?:wavey:

thinktwice
10-18-2011, 19:34
A lot of people are saying the action is smoother with the 870 over the Mossberg 500. I have 2 870's and 2 Mossberg's (500's) and the action on the 500 is much smoother than the 870, at least mine are. But I love them all! Either is a great choice.

tenntornado
10-21-2011, 17:05
Is the mag cap tight?

Meat-Hook
10-21-2011, 17:05
Thanks aippi, I appreciate youre help. It turns out the red shells with the wreath on them are ESTATE, 2 3/4", #6 shot.

Ill shoot the Remington/Winchester/Federal stuff and get back to you when I can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/001.jpg

Meat-Hook
10-21-2011, 17:06
thanks Doc, Ill take a look at that too.

Meat-Hook
10-21-2011, 17:11
390,...the barrel is stamped * 12 GA 2 3/4" OR 3"

so this shotgun can handle 3" shells.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/004.jpg

Meat-Hook
10-21-2011, 17:15
tenntornado,..the cap is tight now. I didnt check its tightness before firing as its never been an issue before. The last time I shot it, I broke it down cleaned it and everything was put back together again tight.

Buffering
10-21-2011, 17:27
That ammo says that it's the "Ultimate In Performance" so I doubt it's the brand of shells. Are you using a tactical lube on your gun?

aippi
10-21-2011, 18:16
It can be anything from ammo to a broker ejector. Starting with the simple is the only way I can help when I can't see the weapon nor talk you through checking things.

nastytrigger
10-21-2011, 18:43
EDIT - Sorry, I had an idea, but proved myself wrong.

vafish
10-22-2011, 15:47

IIRC what the barrel is stamped in irrelevant on the 870. It depends which receiver you are using. Any of the receiver's marked "Magnum" are suitable for the 3" shells. And your 870P is so marked. Also IIRC the only ones that aren't marked "Magnum" are the older light weight receivers.

M1Garand
10-25-2011, 19:59

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/004.jpg

I cannot offer whole lot about your trouble, but your 870P sure looks nice with the woods.

Meat-Hook
11-02-2011, 18:37
Heres some video of my 870 shooting Golden Pheasant. More videos to comes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zNIpksWDk

Shooting Winchester & Remington rounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-tv4Aolx_4

aippi
11-02-2011, 19:43
I offered to assist you if you call and have the weapon in front of you. You have not. Can't do more then that as there are things to check on the weapon and I can't see them.

Andrewsky
11-02-2011, 20:25
You seem to hold the gun very loosely and you don't cycle the action hard enough (and half way).

Buffering
11-02-2011, 22:52
Take aippi up on his offer. It's a very generous one much like Picasso offering to give you an art lesson or a Supreme Court justice helping you with a small claims case. Your vid on youtube was in high def and all that but aippi is the kind of person you'd pay good money to look at your gun. He's offering his expertise for free. Just do it.

jhooten
11-03-2011, 07:04
That Walmart Winchester low silver base is what brings more shotguns into the shop for repair than any other problem. It is junk.

Why are you pressing the slide release after shooting the gun?

Keep the gun to your shoulder and pull the slide back like you are mad at it.

Clean the chamber. When you think you have it clean clean it again. Then do it one more time to make sure. Scrub with a brush, a stiff tight fitting brush, not just wipe with patches.

xm21
11-03-2011, 08:15
that was painful to watch

aippi
11-03-2011, 12:50
For sure some operator issues at work here.

F106 Fan
11-03-2011, 15:06
I still don't understand the split cases. Unless, perhaps, the bolt isn't fully into battery when the gun is fired. That extractor mark on the rim might be an indication that the cartridge isn't seated properly.

It would seem to me that, if the cartridge is fully inside the chamber when it is fired, there is no possible way the case will split.

But I don't shoot 3-3/4 dram loads, what do I know...

If there is another explanation for the split cases, I would like to hear about it. I'm always up to learning more stuff.

Richard

VZ1600
11-03-2011, 15:19
that was painful to watch

Yes it was.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

ArmoryDoc
11-03-2011, 15:51
I can say this about the 870. It was made to be manhandled. Slam that bolt home on a fresh round and slam that slide back hard to eject it. If you baby it either way, you will have problems.

aippi
11-03-2011, 18:18
ArmoryDoc just gave you the best advice for shooting an 870 there is. Or, as I put it "Rack it like you gotta pair"

Buffering
11-03-2011, 18:48
I must have missed something because I never saw him touch the slide release. Can someone tell me the time on the vid when he did?

I also get the impression that he was slowly racking the gun to show the problem however I'd like to see a vid of his normal shooting style for comparison.

ArmoryDoc
11-04-2011, 08:32
Or, as I put it "Rack it like you gotta pair"

That is exactly the term we use on the LE training range. Remington should put it on page 1 of the Users Manual. :wavey:

Novocaine
11-18-2011, 01:00
If you look directly into the ejection port you will see narrow u- channel piece that contains flat leaf spring held by a rivet. These components are supposed to sit flush with the chamber extension. Make sure they do and donít protrude into the path of ejected shell. See if the rivet came loose, try wiggling u-shaped piece with a finger.

Novocaine
11-18-2011, 02:17
Looks like the shell hangs up around the area where the barrel extension meets the receiver. Check this area inside the receiver to see if thereís anything sticks out and impedes the shellís rearward movement.

jhooten
11-18-2011, 15:01
I must have missed something because I never saw him touch the slide release. Can someone tell me the time on the vid when he did?

4:14 and 5:37 in the win/rem link

greyeyezz
11-19-2011, 16:54
That extractor looks stuck. It should spring back even with the bolt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/000_0418.jpg

boozer
11-19-2011, 17:25
If you look directly into the ejection port you will see narrow u- channel piece that contains flat leaf spring held by a rivet. These components are supposed to sit flush with the chamber extension. Make sure they do and donít protrude into the path of ejected shell. See if the rivet came loose, try wiggling u-shaped piece with a finger.

I agree, the mark on the back of the shells looks like where it is hitting the ejector spring. A well lit close up still photo of the open chamber might show the ejector out of position. The extractor looks OK to me.

aippi
11-20-2011, 00:53
I have had a couple breech bolts that the cavet was cut to deep so the extractor was pushed to far inwarded and would result in an issue like he is having. If he would have called I would have been able to go over that and some other issue with him.

Meat-Hook
12-02-2011, 23:19
I offered to assist you if you call and have the weapon in front of you. You have not. Can't do more then that as there are things to check on the weapon and I can't see them.
------------------------

You sound like Vito Corleone.

Like you made me an offer I couldnt "refuse".

and then,..I turned you down.

I scrolled back up and read your posts prior to this one. Unless Im over-looking such kind offer,..I didnt notice it.

But thanks anyway.

Meat-Hook
12-02-2011, 23:38
I called Remington regarding this problem and they had me send it in to one of their gunsmiths.

This is what it looked liked when I got it back;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/rembroke010.jpg

Andrewsky
12-03-2011, 10:40
It looks fine to me. I'm sure with some Murphy's oil you could fix that easily. You should stop complaining. You obviously just hate Remington.

Buffering
12-03-2011, 11:58
Wow, that's amazing. Breaking the forened fixed your extraction problem.

I wonder if Aippi uses such advanced techniques.

Novocaine
12-03-2011, 12:05
So what did they say it was?

aippi
12-03-2011, 12:41
Gee not only was I going to talk you through the issue for free but you would have been ahead a $70 forend as that is what they cost now. Hope they replace it for you.

F106 Fan
12-04-2011, 10:16
I called Remington regarding this problem and they had me send it in to one of their gunsmiths.

Not to be funny, but does it work any better? I know it is difficult to tell without a forend.

Most people scrap the wood forend in favor of just about anything else. They may also scrap the wood stock.

The composite stock/forend assembly is reasonably priced:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=blackhawk+870+forend&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15922819811805699220&sa=X&ei=-qjbTuDbEofciAKCt8n7CQ&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAg#

I have the Blackhawk Knoxx stock on one of my 870s
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=blackhawk%20knoxx%20stock%20870&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CHYQtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dyhz6hFG7i6s&ei=fKnbTuOtBYKviQKjsYWtBA&usg=AFQjCNEHvE9AE0IR3p6b1y_k5aBS6oVbXw

I don't know what forend is being used in the video and I'm not sure I like the vertical handle. But then, I have been pumping shotguns, off and on, for more than 50 years.

Richard

WiskyT
12-04-2011, 14:25
I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks to me like the action is opening partially before the OP "pumps" it. Maybe it is opening while there is still pressure in the barrel. it's kind of the opposite of firing out of battery. It is firing in battery, but opening too soon. Maybe that isn't possible, but that is what it looks to me like.

As for cycling it a set of heuvos etc, yes, that is important. But, I have seen many poorly run pump guns, mostly 870P's still run when pumped poorly. There is sdefinately something wrong with the gun.

As for the forend, I had an uncle that always said "If it doesn't work, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway".

fkizdi
12-04-2011, 15:36
wow...aippi is a dick

Buffering
12-04-2011, 15:48
wow...aippi is a dick

:wow:

Electrikkoolaid
12-04-2011, 16:31

That should buff right out. :supergrin:

I can see Cerebus is still upholding the fine reputation of their acquisition in their usual manner.

It is a shame how badly once=proud brands like Remington, Marlin, and others have fared under their inspired "leadership".

Buffering
12-04-2011, 17:02
That should buff right out. :supergrin:

I can see Cerebus is still upholding the fine reputation of their acquisition in their usual manner.

It is a shame how badly once=proud brands like Remington, Marlin, and others have fared under their inspired "leadership".

Are you saying, with absolute certainty from first hand knowledge, that his gun was intentionally put in the shipping box by Remington in that condition?

How can you positively exclude the shipping company as the culprit?

Blaming Remington makes no sense.

Electrikkoolaid
12-04-2011, 17:16
Are you saying, with absolute certainty from first hand knowledge, that his gun was intentionally put in the shipping box by Remington in that condition?

This is the internet.

Your logic has no effect on me!

aippi
12-04-2011, 21:47
I am? I help dozens of guys simply by having them call me with the weapon right in front of them. I have them check a couple things and generally find the issue without then having to take the weapon to any gun smith. I charge them nothing and they end up with a weapon that works and a better understanding of their weapon. And you call me names? Your are the one with some sort of problem there fkizdi if you can't see the issue the OP had and my attempts to help him. I can assure you that it would unpleasent for you to make that comment in my presence. So do not make such comments about me again unless you are willing to make them in my presence. And yes, I can arrange that.

Also, anyone with any sence would know that the repair facilty did not damage that forend and it had to be crushed in shipping. This site is going down hill fast. Not saying that a bunch of clowns are starting to post on here but I sure wonder how some of these guys can walk in them big floppy shoes they must wear.

Feanor
12-04-2011, 22:02

It looks fine to me. I'm sure with some Murphy's oil you could fix that easily. You should stop complaining. You obviously just hate Remington.

:cool:

larry_minn
12-04-2011, 23:03
You could always put it up for sale. (or bids)
I could start you out at $75

fkizdi
12-05-2011, 15:38
wow...you're response post, aippi, just proves my point more. i never said that you were uneducated or ignorant on shotguns. you are very knowledgeable. i would be happy to say it in your presence. what are you going to do assault some guy for calling you names on some forum. wow you're a tough guy

Dutch1911
12-05-2011, 17:11
I don't see aipi as being a Dick at all. It was a great offer. I too am an LE Remington Armorer. Often times talking someone through an issue can give us more information to get to the bottom of the issue. Attacking him for trying to help proves only one thing...

Dutch

aippi
12-05-2011, 18:25
fkizdi - You are feeling the anonymity that these forums give guys that call total strangers names. Anonyminty is often falsely perceived.

Dutch1911
12-05-2011, 20:29
Who was the smith that signed the paperwork?
That's clearly not Remingtons handy work. If you look at the pic closely you can see crease marks in the foam. And on the other hand that was some amazing turn around time also... Judging from the timeframes of your posts... And interesting you didn't mention you had sent it in.
Anyway the reason I ask, I know many of the Smiths in the LE factory... Yes... Just so you know all LE guns come out of a separate factory at Remington they take their jobs beyond serious. So... The insinuation you've made I take almost on a personal level. I maintain 45 Police Magnum Shotguns along with my own.

Dutch

Buffering
12-05-2011, 22:03
I don't know aippi personally however I look at new people I meet by how the members of their community respect him. In aippi's case, across a wide and varied of gun forums his reputation is of the highest you'll ever find.

Even on forums where other manufacturers sponsor the forums, aippi's name is talked about as one of the most knowledgeable and respected people around.

There's no cause or reason to impune his motives or integrity. It's not called for or warranted and I'm disappointed to read the a bad apple is tryignto go down that path.

Kaybe
12-05-2011, 22:18
WOW, hard to believe that it left the factory that way. Is your case damaged in anyway? Maybe something hit the case in shipping. I hope you get this resolved soon.
First, clean the chamber and the rest of the gun really well. Inspect the chamber to be sure that no residue of any kind is sticking in there. A good cleaning is sometimes the cheapest fix.
Second, the extractor "hook" on the picture of the bolt, seems wore or broke off. The sharp edge of the extractor. The extractor is not supposed to be straight with the bolt, it bends in a bit. But the sharp hook that it is supposed to have seems to be gone. This might explain the inability to extract fully. The ejector spring seems to be in place, from the video.
Third, if you take the trigger plate assembly out when you clean, make sure that the slide release lever, on the left side, is UNDER the left connector. If not, you may not be getting the lockup that you need. No proper lock up means that the bolt may be coming back during firing, resulting in bulged cases.
Forth, It may be the slide lock lever spring is broken. This may lead to the gun not completely locking up and resulting in the bolt coming back just a bit during firing. This would explain the bulged cases.
Fifth, Make sure the bolt lock recess in the barrel is clean and free of dirt and burrs. Also check the bolt locking "lug". Make sure that has no burrs. Again, if the bolt lock does not completely lock into the barrel, you may be get the bulged cases when firing. Bolt lock up is very critical.
Without seeing the gun in my hands, it is hard to say. Been an 870 Armorer for about 10 years. There are alot of "may"'s in this. Check all these things out. Contact Remington for a replacement fore end. Show them the picture.
I hope you find out what is wrong and get it taken care of. I think the 870 is a great gun. I hate to see people with gun problems like this. I wish you the best. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me if you want to.

WiskyT
12-06-2011, 04:04
WOW, hard to believe that it left the factory that way. Is your case damaged in anyway? Maybe something hit the case in shipping. I hope you get this resolved soon.
First, clean the chamber and the rest of the gun really well. Inspect the chamber to be sure that no residue of any kind is sticking in there. A good cleaning is sometimes the cheapest fix.
Second, the extractor "hook" on the picture of the bolt, seems wore or broke off. The sharp edge of the extractor. The extractor is not supposed to be straight with the bolt, it bends in a bit. But the sharp hook that it is supposed to have seems to be gone. This might explain the inability to extract fully. The ejector spring seems to be in place, from the video.
Third, if you take the trigger plate assembly out when you clean, make sure that the slide release lever, on the left side, is UNDER the left connector. If not, you may not be getting the lockup that you need. No proper lock up means that the bolt may be coming back during firing, resulting in bulged cases.
Forth, It may be the slide lock lever spring is broken. This may lead to the gun not completely locking up and resulting in the bolt coming back just a bit during firing. This would explain the bulged cases.
Fifth, Make sure the bolt lock recess in the barrel is clean and free of dirt and burrs. Also check the bolt locking "lug". Make sure that has no burrs. Again, if the bolt lock does not completely lock into the barrel, you may be get the bulged cases when firing. Bolt lock up is very critical.
Without seeing the gun in my hands, it is hard to say. Been an 870 Armorer for about 10 years. There are alot of "may"'s in this. Check all these things out. Contact Remington for a replacement fore end. Show them the picture.
I hope you find out what is wrong and get it taken care of. I think the 870 is a great gun. I hate to see people with gun problems like this. I wish you the best. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me if you want to.

There have been a lot of experts in this thread. "Clean this", "Pump it like a man". I have seen dirty 870's shortstroked and poorly pumped by fat, lazy, civlil service appointees who were actually WOMEN and the guns still worked.

This problem isn't a matter of crud, or the fact that the OP, who looks to be around 200 pounds isn't pumping the gun hard enough.

Not only is Kaybe not a dick, he seems to actually be an armorer.

james plant
12-06-2011, 08:03
wow...aippi is a dick

You posted in the wrong forum.The 5th grade name calling forum is down the street.:shame:

fkizdi
12-06-2011, 16:22
you guys are truly hilarious.
a bunch of tough guys behind a computer screen.
knowledge shouldn't breed arrogance.
i am willing to meet up with any of you.
i'm not going to seek you out b/c i dont care.
but if you want to visit me then do it
get over yourselves...i'm just another JO with an opinion.
if i hurt your feelings then i am sorry.

Buffering
12-06-2011, 17:44
you guys are truly hilarious.
a bunch of tough guys behind a computer screen.
knowledge shouldn't breed arrogance.
i am willing to meet up with any of you.
i'm not going to seek you out b/c i dont care.
but if you want to visit me then do it
get over yourselves...i'm just another JO with an opinion.
if i hurt your feelings then i am sorry.

I don't get the attitude. I'm not a tough guy behind a computer but rather someone who doesn't believe that you're teeing off on aippi.

Try calling up any notable gunsmith with a problem and ask them to diagnosis your problem for free. While I'm sure they'd talk to you, I wholeheartedly believe they'd ask you to send in your gun. Aippi, on the other hand, offered his services for free and all he got in return was silence. The OP claimed he didn't know about the offer but that's bull.

fkizdi
12-06-2011, 20:32
yes i agree
he is very considerate to offer his services free of charge
that is a testament to his character and loyalty to the people on this forum
that doesnt change the fact that if i was the OP, and chose no to take his offer then, why should he be treated with sarcasm and disdain?
just because you know more than someone else doesn't mean you rub it in their face
i definitely know there are people that know more than me on this forum.
good for you..i strive to emulate u some day.
but i wont present my knowledge like i think i'm better than you
my post count doesnt show how many threads i have read.
all his posts carry the same attitude.
like i said...knowledge shouldnt breed arrogance.
its just a disagreement on interpretation of his posts.
that is one problem of text.
i still feel the same way and wouldnt want to do business with him after reading his 'ultimate knowledge' posts.

fkizdi
12-06-2011, 20:35
I don't get the attitude. I'm not a tough guy behind a computer but rather someone who doesn't believe that you're teeing off on aippi.

Try calling up any notable gunsmith with a problem and ask them to diagnosis your problem for free. While I'm sure they'd talk to you, I wholeheartedly believe they'd ask you to send in your gun. Aippi, on the other hand, offered his services for free and all he got in return was silence. The OP claimed he didn't know about the offer but that's bull.

read his post countering my statement. "I can assure you that it would unpleasent for you to make that comment in my presence. So do not make such comments about me again unless you are willing to make them in my presence. And yes, I can arrange that."

wow...really?

ArmoryDoc
12-07-2011, 07:19
Dude. Quit trying to egg it on. Let it die.

cyphertext
12-07-2011, 11:07
read his post countering my statement. "I can assure you that it would unpleasent for you to make that comment in my presence. So do not make such comments about me again unless you are willing to make them in my presence. And yes, I can arrange that."

wow...really?

Well, would you make that same comment in his presence? I don't know Aippi, but I have seen his pic on his website and he is one ugly, scary looking mutha (no offense :wavey:). I doubt I would call him anything other than sir in his presence. Seems to be a knowledgeable guy with willingness to help if you have a Remington shotgun question.

And, if the OP isn't going to take someone's offer to help, an armorer no less, then why post in the first place? I thought there was more arrogance coming from the OP than aippi, but just my opinion.

fkizdi
12-07-2011, 15:40
my opinion is still the same
but i acquiesce
i'm done

pugman
12-11-2011, 11:01
Ibtl...

Meat-Hook
03-10-2012, 03:33
I see all your posts.

believe me,..I will be back to respond to them.

why is it taking this long??

Because this is how long its taking Remington.

your not waiting on me,...your waiting on Remington.

WiskyT
03-10-2012, 06:11
I see all your posts.

It's touching that Remington builds and supports it's "Police" products with the same care as it's standard stuff.

El_Ron1
03-10-2012, 07:59
I see all your posts.

There was a Remington Arms. Now there's Freedom Group.

ArmoryDoc
03-10-2012, 08:23
...which is owned by Cerberus Capital Management with ownership of over 90% of Freedom Group stocks. If you wanna complain, go to the top I say.

TxGun
03-10-2012, 11:17
OP, you look tentative in everything you're doing in those videos, IMO. You rack the slide like you're afraid you'll break it (you won't). Also, why not load from the magazine rather than drop the shotshell into the chamber? I was always taught to do the former, but maybe that's just me.

WiskyT
03-10-2012, 16:38
OP, you look tentative in everything you're doing in those videos, IMO. You rack the slide like you're afraid you'll break it (you won't). Also, why not load from the magazine rather than drop the shotshell into the chamber? I was always taught to do the former, but maybe that's just me.

I disagree. He's tugging on the forearm and the thing is stuck. While I don't recommend it, the 870's we had could be racked slowly with a thumb and forefinger. They felt like they were running on ball bearings. You shouldn't need to be Herman Munster to operate the pump gun.

We were specifically trained to "combat load" through the ejection port after the gun went dry. I thought it was silly and over-complicated, but it is a viable way to load a SG. Most people shooting clays with singles load through the ejection port.

The gun in the video isn't working properly.

BlackPaladin
03-11-2012, 00:28
Good thread :) I remember at the Shot Show a few months back, I was speaking with Remington's LE line rep. He personally knew JD (aippi) and referred to him as someone they have used as a consultant of sorts. These guys know JD on a first name basis and somehow we on GT are fortunate enough to get the time of day from him.

OP, you have a problem with your 870 police model, looks like things are getting worse. A guy that might as well have designed the 870 himself has opened the door for you here. You instead sought out help elsewhere and we can see how that is working out. This is starting to sound like one of those DirecTV commercials lol. "Don't be the guy that waits on Remington."

As for fkizdi, way to help out with this thread! You sir, are a stand up guy, very tough too with your confrontative suggestions. How about contributing something here, or are you just going to keep running your mouth?

Novocaine
03-11-2012, 03:35
A guy that might as well have designed the 870 himself

Give me a freaking break

Meat-Hook
03-16-2012, 14:21
after months of this ordeal, I finally got a lady at Remington who solved the problem of the smashed stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012001.jpg
She sent me this senthetic stock to tide me over until the wooden one came in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012007.jpg

Meat-Hook
03-16-2012, 14:28
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012005.jpg

In this pic you can see the 2 silver dots on the side of the reciever. Thats where the Remington gunsmith drove out the pins, got rid of the bad exctractor/parts that was causing this shotgun to malfunction and replaced it with new/good parts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Meat-Hook/art%20gallery/RemStock16Mar2012006.jpg

Thats the update for now. Ill be back later.

ArmoryDoc
03-16-2012, 14:40
I just LOVE that wood stockset. :rock:

nastytrigger
03-16-2012, 14:48
Good to see your shotgun's back together! Let us know how it performs. Hopefully the new parts fixed it.

Buffering
03-16-2012, 15:54
I see you took Remington to the woodpile.

aippi
03-16-2012, 16:28
No, Remington took him. They should have refinished the receiver instead of simply installing bare rivets that are going to rust. I would be sending back.

nastytrigger
03-16-2012, 16:50
No, Remington took him. They should have refinished the receiver instead of simply installing bare rivets that are going to rust. I would be sending back.

I thought that looked a little half-butted too, but didn't say anything thinking that was 'normal' on the rivets. (I've got a Mossberg, so I'm not too knowledgeable on 870's)

Was it Remington, or an 'approved armorer', that did the work?

Big Bird
03-17-2012, 14:21

I'll agree with that. I had an 870 Special Field that broke the ejector in 92 or so and had to send it back for the same repair. They took 4 months to do it but it didn't look like that when it came back. Shoddy work.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 20:46
Yeah, I'd be sticking a boot very far up someone's backside if that was my shotgun. Holy crap.

El_Ron1
03-18-2012, 11:17
That shotgun is going to end up taking more trips than Timothy Leary.

Buffering
03-18-2012, 11:31
:rofl:

aippi
03-18-2012, 13:56
El Ron - I bet most of these guys are to young to even Know who Timmy is. I would have loved to see the tour when Tim and G. Gorden Liddy were on stage together. Now that would have been a Trip.