Setup Advice for the Lee Classic Turret. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Setup Advice for the Lee Classic Turret.

Colorado4Wheel
10-17-2011, 21:47
You guys know me and my obsession with tinkering with things and measuring stuff. So I have been using my LCT for a little while and I was reminded of up with a couple things that while they sound minor actually make a pretty nice difference.

First thing. I have said this before but always pull the handle 4 times for every time drop a charge. Pull it the same way. Then it will be the most consistent. Remember the powder measure is rotating so it needs to rotate the same amount every time you weight and drop a charge.

Second thing, I like Lee Dies (well most of them:whistling:). You guys know I am weird like that. So once again, because of the rotating turret I actually think it's important to use the Lee Lock Rings as Lee intended. The idea behind the lock ring with the o-ring under it is to let the die float and find their own center. I was having some "scrapping" with my crimp die. As soon as I loosened the lock ring the scrapping went away. I actually put a extra o-ring under the seating die. The threads of the die still hold it's upward travel to the same spot so your OAL will still be consistent. You can buy 7/8 o rings at the store and do a similar thing with a regular lock ring. Lee's have a retaining shelf built in them that seems to help hold it in place.

Third thing. And this is pretty common knowledge but I mention it just in case. If your safety prime is not getting primers in the cup put a extra washer under it to raise it up a little and see if that helps. It helped a lot on mine.

If you ever are one of the 1% that have a issue with the priming arm not moving back in the ram quick enough you can tap it and make it move quicker with a little bolt.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_1310.jpg

That is what I did to my first one. I only know a couple people who had this issue. But I post this just in case. My new press had no such problem.

Finally, Lee's primer flipper (on the LCT) is the best in the business, especially with LP primers. I wish it was 50% bigger and available as a regular flipper. This is the second one I have owned and both were excellent. The one on my Load Master was not as good. Different design.

shotgunred
10-19-2011, 15:57
Did you upgrade from your 650 already?

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2011, 17:01
??????

650 going strong. Running smooth. Life is good.

meleors
10-20-2011, 07:48
Did you upgrade from your 650 already?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Spiffums
10-20-2011, 15:31
I use the Lee Handi prime. I never could get used to using the downstroke primer.

Colorado4Wheel
10-20-2011, 15:48
Downstroke priming is second nature if you load on a Hornady, RCBS or a Dillon.

creophus
10-21-2011, 08:01
That's good advice C4W. Thanks for posting that. I don't use the lock ring like that so I may try it.

cowboy1964
10-21-2011, 08:15
My small pistol primer works perfectly but the large one often does not put the primer into the cup.

My biggest complaint with the LCT is the auto-index feature. That stupid square plastic piece on the indexing shaft wears way too quickly and is a pain to change.

Colorado4Wheel
10-21-2011, 08:20
I have never wore out a index ring. Are you using the Pro Auto Disc Powder Measure or some other measure? Are you moving the handle to the right spot so you can spin the turret with no binding before removing it?

newgene
08-11-2013, 09:52
My small pistol primer works perfectly but the large one often does not put the primer into the cup.

My biggest complaint with the LCT is the auto-index feature. That stupid square plastic piece on the indexing shaft wears way too quickly and is a pain to change.

Same here. My SPP works flawlessly, but the LPP hickups often. I also bought a dozen of the little black square ratchets. They were 50 cents each, and I figured if I was paying shipping, why not get a bunch. I destroyed my first one pretty quick because I'm sure I was trying to remove the turret with the ram at the bottom when I first started. It has been fine since, but I know it's a wear item.

Coug
08-11-2013, 16:47
Zombie thread...

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Uncle Don
08-11-2013, 18:20
Removing and Installing Turret - YouTube

Colorado4Wheel
08-11-2013, 18:46
I have never damaged a ratchet. If you are you need to watch that video.

Uncle Don
08-11-2013, 19:20
Mine is still the original since I got the press in 2006. I use it for everything but 45ACP.

Steel Head
08-11-2013, 19:53
I'll curious how long my ratchets last with my case operated Hornandy powder measure on it:dunno:

I'm at over 800 rounds with 600 with the anchor on top so far

I have extras so I don't care but its safe to say my LCT is runnin an over weight load:upeyes: but it sure runs sweet.

I'm careful about raising the ram before manually turning the turret and I maintain a smooth steady stroke:whistling: so we'll see what the extra weigh does to ratchet life

Boxerglocker
08-12-2013, 08:22
I sometimes think of getting myself a LCT again. It would be nice to just leave it set up for .308

I don't need the dies, already have the Lee deluxe set. Unfortunately it does not seem cost effective in comparison to just getting a conversion and case feed plate for the 650.

Doing a quick search looks like I would be $180 into it plus shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814175/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/870920/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-double-disk-kit?cm_vc=sugv1348753

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348753/lee-pro-auto-disk-powder-measure?cm_vc=sugv1814175

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/114080/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-riser?cm_vc=sugv1348753

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792057/lee-auto-disk-rifle-powder-charging-die-22-to-30-calibers?cm_vc=OBv1348753

Colorado4Wheel
08-12-2013, 09:09
Yeah, it's not a bad deal at all to just convert the Dillon. But that is just one caliber. Once you add up all the "just this one caliber more" for me the LCT makes a lot of sense. .380, .223, 308, 10mm, 40SW. 308 and .223 will get loaded on the Dillon eventually, but I like the LCT for doing the initial loadings I am using now. I like leaving the 650 set up for 9mm most the time. In the future to load a new caliber all I do is buy a Lee 3 die pistol set. Comes with the shell holder and I am good to go. .

unclebob
08-12-2013, 09:22
I like to use RCBS shell holders. They are a lot better made than the Lee. The case slips in a lot easier on the RCBS. Also if you use a Lee shell holder? Make sure you check for any burrs. I sliced my thumb open one time using the Lee, that had one.

creophus
09-18-2013, 12:33
I like to use RCBS shell holders. They are a lot better made than the Lee. The case slips in a lot easier on the RCBS. Also if you use a Lee shell holder? Make sure you check for any burrs. I sliced my thumb open one time using the Lee, that had one.

Thankfully I've never had that happen. *Ouch*

DoctaGlockta
09-18-2013, 12:37
You guys know me and my obsession with tinkering with things and measuring stuff.

Nope, never noticed. :dunno:

Zombie Steve
09-18-2013, 14:03
:whistling:

RustyFN
09-18-2013, 18:16

Could be something you are doing wrong or maybe a ruff part that needs a little attention. I have been loading thousands in four calibers since 2006 and am still on the original that came on the press. I know many others with the same experience as me.

SonnyCrockett
09-22-2013, 06:31
Could be something you are doing wrong or maybe a ruff part that needs a little attention. I have been loading thousands in four calibers since 2006 and am still on the original that came on the press. I know many others with the same experience as me.

I long since sold my LCT press but i agree that plastic ratchet deal is not a great one...It should have been made from Billet Aluminum or similar
Another thing about the press is its lube , they seem to
need a full cleaning and lube almost every 500 rounds

Uncle Don
09-22-2013, 07:13
I long since sold my LCT press but i agree that plastic ratchet deal is not a great one...It should have been made from Billet Aluminum or similar
Another thing about the press is its lube , they seem to
need a full cleaning and lube almost every 500 rounds

I have not noticed that it needs to be cleaned - the only thing I do since mine is in the garage, is to put a slight coat of oil on the inside of the turret ring before I start.

As to the ratchet needing to be aluminum - I disagree because something "expendable" needs to be the fail point for those people fail to raise the ram to take out or install a turret. As several have said - the ratchet being made out of it's current makeup seems fine as my first has now lasted 7 years and I'm not alone. I have four spares so at this rate, I have a lifetime supply, even the first failed tomorrow, which it wont.

Colorado4Wheel
09-22-2013, 08:20
The instructions are poor so Lee has the ratchet reports. Because people are forcing things. The rachett is not a issue beyond that. Not using the press as Lee designed. A metal part would be a problem.

Steel Head
09-22-2013, 08:46
So far I have about 3000 rounds out of my new LCT.
Still on the original ratchet and that's with a hornandy case activated powder measure on it.
Haven't cleaned it yet either but I might today.

newgene
09-22-2013, 08:53
When I first setup the press, I was sometimes forcing the turret on and off. I know that's what deformed my first ratchet. Once I replaced it, I bought a dozen of them (50 cents each plus about $5 shipping for as many as you buy). I haven't replaced it since because I am careful now with removing the turret.

RustyFN
09-22-2013, 16:13
My classic turret is seven years old. I have never taken it apart and cleaned it. I keep the indexing rod clean and dry. The more I use the press the smoother it gets.

newgene
01-12-2014, 16:30
Well, just an update to this sorta old thread. I have been very careful to ensure I'm changing turrets with the ram up, but I started wearing out ratchets again. I then did a couple of things. I ran the rod nut all the way down to ensure the rod wasn't dragging on the base and adding torque to the ratchet. I also read a bit and then oiled the heck out of the seating face of the turret. I also lubricated the rod, and I even added one of my semi-worn out ratchets to make it two in the bracket. I took two ratchets that were both warped and worn, and stacked them together with the inner flange facing down (like they should).

Now, it runs smooth as silk. I really think it was the oil that was needed to take the friction and torque out of the motion. It was actually working so well, it would send the powder charge die a little past the correct spot. Odd, but I know it was falling short on the other side before. It really is smooth as silk now. Somewhere in the manual it probably says to oil it in the base case, but I'm just realizing it now. Either way, all is well, and I wanted to put this out there for others that may be running into problems.