Make sure your health shots are up to date! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Make sure your health shots are up to date!

Steve in PA
10-17-2011, 23:43
I got hit with a dose of German Measles (Rubella) last week.

Felt like something was working on me early last week. Tuesday, started to feel "off", tired, sore, etc. Worked till 11pm, came home and crashed on the couch until 4:30am. Woke up, went to bed and got up for work on Wednesday. By 7:pm I was really starting to feel it. Called my relief, but he couldn't make it in until 10:pm.

I made it home and went straight to bed. I was cold, shivering, sore, you name it. Remember waking up a few times to hit the head. One time I was up I asked my wife what time it was, she said 3:00am Friday morning. What the hell happened to Thursday?????? Then she looked at me and said, "oh my god!"

I looked in our mirror and I had a rash all over my body! Was diagnosed as German Measles (Rubella). Yes, I had all my shots when I was a kid back in the 60's, so my mom says! LOL!

By Sunday, I was feeling okay. All the symptoms, tiredness, sore/stiffness, etc has eased up but everything I ate or drank tasted like crap. Measles had effected the skin in my mouth and tongue. When recovering from the three day measles, the skin may start to flake oof. Don't see it on my body, but felt it in my mouth, face (especially around nose) and groin. The skin is very, very sensitive on the ju-ju-bees!! LOL!

Doc says no work until next week. Gave me some meds to help with the itching and some to make the rash go away faster. Seems if you get this as an adult, the effects are stronger, last longer and slower to go away.

Hve no idea how I contracted it. Had to be in the air and could be from someone sneezing, coughing, etc. If I ever find out who gave this to me.........

At least it says I will now be immune...........LOL!

Ajon412
10-18-2011, 02:58
Holy Crap-a-zoids, Batman.....Glad to hear you're feeling better.....:wavey:

CJStudent
10-18-2011, 05:17
:shocked: Glad you're doing better, man!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RussP
10-18-2011, 05:50
Never hug children not your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, my theory is this is part of the war on cops. They find a kid with a communicable disease and run find a cop. They tell the cop the child needs comforting. Cop touches kid and BAM!!!!!!! INFECTED!!

Okay, so I didn't get much sleep last night. I need more coffee.:yawn:

:wavey:

cowboywannabe
10-18-2011, 06:43
take shots?! hell, the only way i can get a day off is if im sick with a doctor's note!

Kahr_Glockman
10-18-2011, 09:13
I had viral meningitis back in March. That stuff hit so fast, that it took 12 hours from symptom onset to when I went to the ER. I'm glad it wasn't the bacterial kind, because I would have been in real bad shape because I waited to go to the ER.

It just reinforces to me that if you are sick, go to the doctor. If you have something bad, your chances of getting effective treatment are much better.

We get exposed to so much crap on a regular basis anyway, that the really bad stuff really mounts up. I mean how many Hep C and HIV infected people do you think you come into contact with? I know TB is becoming more common, and MRSA as well.

All of it is nastiness.

wrenrj1
10-18-2011, 09:51
Open carry could have prevented this.

Trigger Finger
10-18-2011, 13:53
Allot of illegal aliens in your area? Many times they can spread disease like a plaque carrying zombie! Don't make a war bride out of one of them, I'll tell ya.

Chicken Pox is next!!

Steve in PA
10-18-2011, 14:50
Yeah, we have a good dose of illegals in our area. Just sucks not having a clue as to how I caught this. Just glad I got it when I did, as I'm going to an IALEFI seminar in NJ next week.

Patchman
10-18-2011, 19:30
Never hug children not your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, my theory is this is part of the war on cops. They find a kid with a communicable disease and run find a cop. They tell the cop the child needs comforting. Cop touches kid and BAM!!!!!!! INFECTED!!

I would never hug a child while working because BAM, you're going to get accused of inappropriate touching or something...

RVER
10-19-2011, 22:46
Steve,
WTF !!!!! Had my shots in the 60's too... Dude this is some serious *****. Have you travelled to Africa, South America, China recently? :shocked:

Steve in PA
10-20-2011, 10:42
Nope, nothing but local travel.

RVER
10-20-2011, 18:41
Get well brother!

Aux Bear
10-20-2011, 19:01
Shots to prevent measles? OK, I thought that was a childhood thing that if you had them as a kid you couldn't get them a 2nd time. Didn't know that were shots for it. Anyone know for certain?

DaBigBR
10-20-2011, 21:18
Shots to prevent measles? OK, I thought that was a childhood thing that if you had them as a kid you couldn't get them a 2nd time. Didn't know that were shots for it. Anyone know for certain?

A combination booster for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella is commonplace.

I kinda wonder if Steve didn't end up with a mutated form of Measles that the vaccination did not prevent.

Hunca Munca
10-21-2011, 07:27
If you are concerned you can have blood drawn to get your antibody titers checked. If they are low you need a booster shot.

Steve in PA
10-21-2011, 10:10
I had my measles shots as a kid, but apparently they recommended a booster somewhere along the line. Never did get the booster. From what I've been reading, whatever shot I did get could have worn off, could not have taken or people of a, ahem.....certain age bracket......should get the booster just because they are older.

I did serve in the USMC after highschool (many moons ago) and I do know that we were poked, prodded and jabbed with needles frequently. Don't know if anything was measle related, but I would think spending most of my time overseas, MMR would have been included.

Morris
10-21-2011, 10:19
Docs in this are are seeing mutations of one form or another so the vaccine you got as a kid may or may not protect you. Get the booster. But understand that it doesn't 100% immunize you.

RVER
10-21-2011, 20:47
I kinda wonder if Steve didn't end up with a mutated form of Measles that the vaccination did not prevent.

DaBigBR, sweet Jesus man, "mutated" sounds so bad when compared to the everyday risks such as getting shot, stabbed, run over, dragged, set on fire, beaten or thrown off a roof... Steve hang in there - stay safe! Healthy too.

Steve in PA
10-21-2011, 23:05
I'm good to go. Doctor cleared me to work on Friday. Heading to an IALEFIA conference in NJ on Monday/Tuesday. Actually had taken off rest of next week to burn up some vacation days, so my next day back in uniform won't be until Oct 30.

CJStudent
10-22-2011, 10:29
I'm good to go. Doctor cleared me to work on Friday. Heading to an IALEFIA conference in NJ on Monday/Tuesday. Actually had taken off rest of next week to burn up some vacation days, so my next day back in uniform won't be until Oct 30.

Glad to hear it!