Multiple Local Group Policies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Local Group Policies

Stompy
10-17-2011, 23:59
I have kids coming for a visit and they want to use my laptop. My first instinct is to say, "Hell No!" However, the wife is feeding me a ration of ... you know about not trusting a group of kids. So, I want to set up individual accounts, and use the local GPO to lock down the computer.

Local GPO's affect every user that logs onto the computer, including me.

I know that Vista and W2k8 have Multiple Local GPO's. I'm using Wondows 7 Pro.

Does Windows 7 support Multiple Local GPO's? If so, it will solve a ton of problems.

cgwahl
10-18-2011, 00:20
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3652-local-group-policy-editor-open.html

Another thing you might consider doing (in addition or instead of) is using something like Windows SteadyState...unfortunately it's been discontinued and I think I recall it not working with Windows 7. I also can't recommend anything in particular like it, but it might be a different solution to deal with kids being kids basically.

EDIT: Found this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3118

Pierre!
10-18-2011, 06:51
Well, here are a couple of thoughts for you:

First off, make an image of the system before they arrive! That way complete recovery from ANY incident is assured!!! :cool: Came up with this *just last night* as I was scrubbing torrents, Steam games, and other assorted junk from a business mans notebook...

Next - Download Windows Live Family Safety and check out the parental controls.

Next - Set up ONE profile for the kids to share, and have it be a standard user, NOT Administrator!!!

With these suggestions in place, I think you will be fine unless you are willing to study up on Group Policies... which are overkill in this situation.

Are your *fears* about kids and trusting them on computers justified? Are You Serious???

DANG STRAIGHT you are seriously concerned - In the past 22 years of working with ADULTS I still see them do the most damage to their own systems...

And kids today know it all about computers and respect your stuff that they don't own??? That may be true for the best of children - but that can change in the *blink* of an eye!

Pfffft.... Yah - As nicely as you can, explain that adults don't get it right, how could you expect children to get it right?

Took me a week to find all the junk my 8 year old granddaughter put on my wife's computer. The 14 year old grandson wasn't much better.

I use my computers for my business - and these systems were NOT allowed to be used by the children.

Matter of fact, these brilliant children turned off the Windows Home Server repeatedly! They could not even get-it about which computer box needed to be turned off - they just pushed a button without asking....

Highly Responsible... :supergrin: Love my Grandkids... they will be better the next time they visit too! (LOL)

Bottom line - the Windows 7 Backup and Image will save your bucket more than a GPO will.

Sorry bout the mini rant, but you needed to hear that you are NOT crazy for being concerned!

Patrick

Merlin40
10-18-2011, 15:50
I do Network support. I have a boot password, a logon password, a password to my servers, and various User Permission levels set up. I STILL don't let friends, grandkids, or MY WIFE, get on my computer. And I don't get yelled at. If this is that big an issue, consider buying a used machine, load it with games and such, and don't allow Internet access.

sappy13
10-19-2011, 17:23
download drivevaccine. It's like a modern day deepfreeze. We used it for all the lab and classroom pcs at the school I used to work for. It's got a 15 day trial u could use. Just whatever u do, don't forget the password. Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engin