wich press? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : wich press?

redwzrd
10-18-2011, 21:32
want to get a press for my farther for x-mas. have been looking around on ebay and have been reading alittle about getting started in reloading. was sure about starting with a lee single stage press, but i see alot of the lyman tru-line turret press selling for less. looks like the lymans are alot older and dont know if they dont take current dies? is this not a good option or should i try for the single stage. this will be used for rifle rounds and handgun rounds

XDRoX
10-18-2011, 22:02
I'd get him a brand new Lee Classic Turret.

Boxerglocker
10-18-2011, 22:33

:agree:

AZson
10-18-2011, 22:36
Yes, get the Lee four holer, I have spent years and thousands of rounds getting joy from it.
From 9mm to .45 colt and .223. Better deal then the blue press.
The forth hole is for the Lee Factory die crimp, the one all the dillion owners buy.

Zombie Steve
10-18-2011, 22:44
Guy named redwzrd starts a thread asking which press? This a joke?

:whistling::supergrin:

XDRoX
10-18-2011, 22:46

I didn't even notice that. Had I, I'd said blue :D

redwzrd
10-18-2011, 23:12

why would this be a joke? i have reloaded my own shotgun shells for years but have never done any brass. it has always seemed like there was to many steps.

Boxerglocker
10-18-2011, 23:31
The forth hole is for the Lee Factory die crimp, the one all the dillion owners buy.

Ehhh... I don't think so... only reason to buy a FCD is if you not capable of setting your dies up correctly to load the bullet profile for the gun your using. :upeyes:

XDRoX
10-19-2011, 07:46

Then I must be doing something wrong, because all my turrets only have 3 dies in them :whistling:

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/funnel4.jpg

Zombie Steve
10-19-2011, 08:07
why would this be a joke? i have reloaded my own shotgun shells for years but have never done any brass. it has always seemed like there was to many steps.

Just kidding. There's a big rift here between red (Lee, Hornady) presses and blue (Dillon). I myself use green (RCBS).

So, I'm partial to Green for the single stage. Any of them will work, you get what you pay for. I think a lot of people on here shoot a ton of pistol, hence the turret or progressive suggestions. It does get tedious on a single stage if you're doing volume.

Travclem
10-19-2011, 08:09
Ehhh... I don't think so... only reason to buy a FCD is if you not capable of setting your dies up correctly to load the bullet profile for the gun your using. :upeyes:
This^

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2011, 08:58

I saw that to. I chose not to respond just in case it's a joke. Plus, the sticky pretty much answers his questions. I would not buy that old Lyman. It doesn't take standard dies and you can't get stuff for it any longer.

redwzrd
10-19-2011, 10:21
I saw that to. I chose not to respond just in case it's a joke. Plus, the sticky pretty much answers his questions. I would not buy that old Lyman. It doesn't take standard dies and you can't get stuff for it any longer.
thanks that is the answer i was looking for. didnt want to buyone then cant get dies for them. this wasnt a joke and didnt know there was a 500/870 battle between presses. im just starting out in this and think know what ive been told that the single stage is what i need to start.

rpgman
10-19-2011, 10:45
Then I must be doing something wrong, because all my turrets only have 3 dies in them :whistling:

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/funnel4.jpg

Chris,
may I ask where you got those cool colored containers at?
I need some of those.
Greg

dkf
10-19-2011, 11:49

Thats what I bought.^

If spending around $220 is fine look at the Lee Classic Turret kit from Kempf's. That kit will give him most of what the needs to start reloading.

rpgman
10-19-2011, 11:57
my first press is a Lyman® T-Mag Expert Deluxe Reloading Kit

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-Expert-Deluxe-Reloading-Kit/product/10200317/114183

Greg

dr_hefley
10-19-2011, 12:02
Just ordered a Lee classic turret kit from kempf gun supply this week.
We'll see how it goes.

ron59
10-19-2011, 12:06
my first press is a Lyman® T-Mag Expert Deluxe Reloading Kit

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-Expert-Deluxe-Reloading-Kit/product/10200317/114183

Greg

I thought you were going with 550? It'll take a long time to crank out pistol rounds on a single stage.

But if you'll ever load rifle or anything... guess it'll make a good starter setup.

XDRoX
10-19-2011, 12:23
Chris,
may I ask where you got those cool colored containers at?
I need some of those.
Greg

Sure Greg, at Walmart. They were very inexpensive but well built. The larger ones full of bullets weigh 50lbs easy.

rpgman
10-19-2011, 12:30
I thought you were going with 550? It'll take a long time to crank out pistol rounds on a single stage.

But if you'll ever load rifle or anything... guess it'll make a good starter setup.

yea, I was, but I wanted a single stage turret just to get use to re-loading and learning.

I still have plans for the 650xl though....hopefully in a few months and yes, the Lyman will do me well for rifle loads.

I can crank out a few hundred rounds in a couple hours on my Lyman.

Right now, I'm just messing with loads and finding the right ones in .40 and 9mm for my G27, and G17 and G34.

Greg

Shadyscott69
10-19-2011, 13:31
yea, I was, but I wanted a single stage turret just to get use to re-loading and learning.

I still have plans for the 650xl though....hopefully in a few months and yes, the Lyman will do me well for rifle loads.

I can crank out a few hundred rounds in a couple hours on my Lyman.

Right now, I'm just messing with loads and finding the right ones in .40 and 9mm for my G27, and G17 and G34.

Greg

Greg, you going to the GSSF match in Charleston?

rpgman
10-19-2011, 13:37
Greg, you going to the GSSF match in Charleston?

yes sir, and ROing....

also, my wife will be shooting my G17 for the first time, so make sure u duck, lol.

naw, she's an ok shot.
Greg

Shadyscott69
10-19-2011, 14:16
yes sir, and ROing....

also, my wife will be shooting my G17 for the first time, so make sure u duck, lol.

naw, she's an ok shot.
Greg

We are bringing quite a few folks. I will warn everyone. IDPA classifier in Columbia this Sat. too

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2011, 17:08
thanks that is the answer i was looking for. didnt want to buyone then cant get dies for them. this wasnt a joke and didnt know there was a 500/870 battle between presses. im just starting out in this and think know what ive been told that the single stage is what i need to start.

870 is Dillon,
500 is Hornady
Who makes a crappy shotgun. Thats the Load Master

I'm a Dillon/870 guy so thats just my opinion.

thorn137
10-19-2011, 17:19
Get him a giftcard to Grafs, Midway, etc.

He might actually prefer a press different than the one you'd purchase. For example, I wouldn't have been happy with a single-stage press.

thorn

rpgman
10-19-2011, 17:25
We are bringing quite a few folks. I will warn everyone. IDPA classifier in Columbia this Sat. too

Cool. It would be nice to meet up in person.

AZson
10-22-2011, 19:36

This subject drives blue press owners wild, three people I know that own blue presses, know the greatness that the LFD adds to ammo reliability. All of them heavy competition shooters.
One of them, a buddy of mine who owns 3 blue presses asks me every year to buy him a LFC die for each caliber he reloads for Xmas. Doesn't matter what color the press you can use the LFD crimp.

sig357fan
10-23-2011, 04:40

+1^

I think the reason for the recommendation of the Lee Classic Turret as a first press from those of us who have one is that it’s a good compromise between a SS press and a full progressive.

You can use it as a SS press by removing the indexing rod so you can manually index the turret for learning the reloading process step by step, then once you’ve got the process down, put the indexing rod back in the press and be able to increase your ammo output.

sig357fan

redwzrd
10-23-2011, 13:30
+1^

I think the reason for the recommendation of the Lee Classic Turret as a first press from those of us who have one is that it’s a good compromise between a SS press and a full progressive.

You can use it as a SS press by removing the indexing rod so you can manually index the turret for learning the reloading process step by step, then once you’ve got the process down, put the indexing rod back in the press and be able to increase your ammo output.

sig357fan
thanks for the insight.

redwzrd
10-25-2011, 13:54
won a bid on ebay for a single stage lee. will use this to start loading 30-30 and 30-06. if all goes well will get turet press for handgun loads. so it begins