Carry at 6 oclock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry at 6 oclock

Stan G
10-19-2011, 07:38
Hello Mas.. I am new to carrying, still trying to find my comfort zone with
carry position, have a 19 glock when carrying that it's been appendix with a mic holster, not too bad.. Been thinking 6 would conceal better but my question is this. I am right handed and I find it much easier to draw from 6 oclock with the gun in the left handed carry position..( butt to the right) Any safety draw backs to this? Or is this the norm? Thank you in advance sir..

Mas Ayoob
10-19-2011, 07:51
Lotsa drawbacks, I'm afraid.

1. 6 o'clock puts the gun directly against the spine. Hard impact in back, or a fall, is the equivalent of landing on a rock with your lumbar spine/sacrum area. High risk of a spinal injury.

2. In a struggle for the holstered gun, your leverage to keep it in the holster with your own hand will be extremely poor, compared to your ability to exert downward force on a holstered gun in, say, the 3:30 position.

3. Drawing, if you think about it, requires bending your elbow out in a "chicken wing," essentially putting yourself in an armlock (hammer lock) position. Again, not strong.

4. While a careful person can draw from this position without crossing himself, this carry is associated with others on the firing line being inadvertently crossed by the muzzle on the draw, and is forbidden on many ranges and at many schools. This will get in the way of you practicing enough to make a draw from here reflexive.

These are some of the reasons why six o'clock carry, and the butt-forward strong hand draw you describe (known as "cavalry draw") are not widely used today.

Best,
Mas

Stan G
10-19-2011, 07:56
That is exactly why I asked you first sir... Thank you very much!!