Powder questions and acronyms [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder questions and acronyms

Pro 2A
10-19-2011, 12:00
There are SO many kinds of powders, I'm overwhelmed. From reading the past relevant posts I could find, it looks like Winchester's WDF powder is recommended for new reloaders like me. I'm interested in reloading for my 9mm G26/G19 for range practice on a Dillon Square Deal B. So should I start with the WDF?

Other question I didn't find answered... is there a formula or easy way to know how much powder to buy based on the number of rounds I'll be reloading? For example, how much powder would be needed for 1000 rounds? I haven't started powder shopping, so maybe this is answered on the websites that sell the powder? I would guess that it varies depending on type/brand of powder, but that's just a guess.

Last question (for this hour) :-)... Is there a listing of commonly used Glock Talk acronyms and abbrieviations? In reading through some of the posts, I feel like I'm reading another language :-)
:faint:

ron59
10-19-2011, 12:04
WSF? or WST?

I don't know of a WDF.

They sell it usually in 1lb, 4lb, or 8lb jugs. If you can get it locally, just get 1lb and see how you like it. Because of hazmat being extra, you don't want to buy just 1lb online, it will be very expensive unless you piggyback it with a bunch of primers or something?

freedom790
10-19-2011, 12:06
If you want to calculate your powder requirement use this equation.

Divide how much grainage of powder you use per round into 7000. That will tell you how much a one pound jug will load for you.

Example: If you use 7 grains of powder, a one pound jug will load you 1000 rounds.

GioaJack
10-19-2011, 12:13
Wading through the festering swamp of powder choices is really pretty simple, you only have to remember three names;

BULLSEYE, UNIQUE, 2400

Spend the rest of your money on hookers and Metamucil. :whistling:

Jack

JBnTX
10-19-2011, 12:37
Wading through the festering swamp of powder choices is really pretty simple, you only have to remember three names;

BULLSEYE, UNIQUE, 2400

Jack

One more! POWER PISTOL

Works great in 9mm

rpgman
10-19-2011, 12:38

BULLSEYE, UNIQUE, 2400

Jack

and, being a new loader, I use all three of those based on opinions and questions I asked here.
Greg

Glock XIX
10-19-2011, 12:41
Metamucil , how many grains of that for a 230 FMJ in 45 ACP ? :rofl:

rpgman
10-19-2011, 12:42
Graf's is having a sale if you buy $100.00 worth of stuff they pay shipping.
http://www.grafs.com/

http://www.grafs.com/content/index/contentId/28

You still pay hazmat, unless you buy 32 pounds and they will pay the hazmat fee.

http://www.grafs.com/content/index/contentId/3

Greg

fredj338
10-19-2011, 13:17
Yeah WDF would bea new one on me. I think you probably mean WSF. Obviosly you need a coupel of reloading manuals. A quick look would show what powders are best suited for each caliber. I prefer a medium burn rate powder that allows you to reach the vel yo uwant w/ some pressure room to spare. I like powders that fill a case at least 1/3-1/2 full, that also means medium burners. Less chance of a dbl charge & easy to spot a no charge (squib), just as bad. You have much to learn, reading a few good reloading priemrs like The ABCs of Reloading & say the Lyman #49 are still a must, even though we have the internet.

Pro 2A
10-19-2011, 18:13
Thanks for the help! Yes, I think it was WSF that was mentioned in the other thread. I DO have the ABC's of reloading, but it talks about 148 different powders! Getting a few names here helps narrow down the research :-) I KNOW I have a LOT to learn! :shocked: :supergrin:

Thank-you Freedom790 for the formula! So if I'm loading 115 gr., 1 lb makes about 60 rounds. So I'd need 16.5 lbs to do 1000 rounds? That seems like a lot.

gforester
10-19-2011, 18:49
Thanks for the help! Yes, I think it was WSF that was mentioned in the other thread. I DO have the ABC's of reloading, but it talks about 148 different powders! Getting a few names here helps narrow down the research :-) I KNOW I have a LOT to learn!

Thank-you Freedom790 for the formula! So if I'm loading 115 gr., 1 lb makes about 60 rounds. So I'd need 16.5 lbs to do 1000 rounds? That seems like a lot.

I think you have confused bullet weight with powder charge. A 115gr. bullet is a typical 9mm projectile. A typical powder charge would likely be in the 4 to 6 grain range, depending on powder choice, of course. For 9mm I like Universal or Win231/Hodgdon HP38. I would use ~3.8-4.0 grains as a starting point with those powders. If you use Bullseye you may get by with an even smaller charge if it cycles your weapon properly. Just follow the recommended charges in your reloading book to be safe.

Pro 2A
10-19-2011, 18:53
Yes, I was confused about the grains. Thank-you! Back to reading the book!! LOL

RustyFN
10-19-2011, 19:05

BULLSEYE, UNIQUE, 2400

Jack

After you try those and want suggestions for a real powder let us know. :rofl:

GioaJack
10-19-2011, 19:29
After you try those and want suggestions for a real powder let us know. :rofl:

It's always good to get suggestions from rookies so you make all your mistakes early in your loading career. :whistling:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out dancing and have to get back to the ladies. There's more to life than shooting... guns that is.

Jack

jfrey
10-19-2011, 19:45
Winchester WSF is a good powder for 9mm. I recently switched to it from Unique and like it. It meters really well through the powder despensor on my SDB. Depending on the bullet design, the 115 gr. bullet loading is between 5.0 and 5.6 gr. in the Speer #13 manual. I load 5.0 gr. under a 115 gr. Berry's plated bullet and the load really shoots well in a variety of 9mm's I run for fun.

fredj338
10-19-2011, 21:44
Yes, I was confused about the grains. Thank-you! Back to reading the book!! LOL

A lot more reading, a lot.:wow:

Zombie Steve
10-19-2011, 23:28
Wading through the festering swamp of powder choices is really pretty simple, you only have to remember two names;

UNIQUE, 2400

Spend the rest of your money on hookers and scotch. :whistling:

Jack

Fixed it for you.

Pro 2A
10-19-2011, 23:55
Winchester WSF is a good powder for 9mm. I recently switched to it from Unique and like it. It meters really well through the powder despensor on my SDB. Depending on the bullet design, the 115 gr. bullet loading is between 5.0 and 5.6 gr. in the Speer #13 manual. I load 5.0 gr. under a 115 gr. Berry's plated bullet and the load really shoots well in a variety of 9mm's I run for fun.

Thank-you! Very helpful info

A lot more reading, a lot.:wow:

Yup! If it's like most other things I've learned, it's a process that never really stops. But everyone starts out as a beginner at some point. :-) I haven't bought any supplies yet because I know I still have too much to learn. But I'm reading and learning a little more almost every day as my schedule allows. And I hope to have a better handle on it by Christmas so I can get started after the holidays.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

FoMoCowboy
10-20-2011, 00:09
Thanks for the help! Yes, I think it was WSF that was mentioned in the other thread. I DO have the ABC's of reloading, but it talks about 148 different powders! Getting a few names here helps narrow down the research :-) I KNOW I have a LOT to learn! :shocked: :supergrin:

as Freedom790 sort of mentioned earlier, there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder.

Dont forget

BLUE DOT

For all your pistol cartridge needs!

PCJim
10-20-2011, 09:03
Actually, there are 7,000 grains to a pound of anything...

fredj338
10-20-2011, 09:18
Actually, there are 7,000 grains to a pound of anything...

Which weighs more, 7000g of powder or 7000g of gold??:rofl:

Gunnut 45/454
10-20-2011, 09:39
It's always good to get suggestions from rookies so you make all your mistakes early in your loading career. :whistling:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out dancing and have to get back to the ladies. There's more to life than shooting... guns that is.

Jack

Jack
So your out dancing? I though that was kind of hard in a wheel chair!!!:rofl:
I don't want to here you crying when your back goes out again!!! :faint:

fredj338
10-20-2011, 12:27
Jack
So your out dancing? I though that was kind of hard in a wheel chair!!!:rofl:
I don't want to here you crying when your back goes out again!!! :faint:

Come on, you saw the video, Jack is out on the floor w/ a walker. Keep at it jack.:supergrin:

Batesmotel
10-20-2011, 12:36
Which weighs more, 7000g of powder or 7000g of gold??:rofl:

A pound of powder weighs more than a pound of gold.:supergrin: But not if you weigh in grains.

Tpro
10-20-2011, 15:07

BULLSEYE, UNIQUE, 2400

Jack

Come on Jack, you forgot

TITE GROUP

There. Now he has all powders he needs.

Spiffums
10-20-2011, 15:28
Back when I started there was a reloader store. It was 3 carports end to end and they sold reloads and components. They used Lee reloading tools and AA powder. The man was a great help with showing you what to do and such. I ended up using Unqiue and AA5 for 9mm. And had others for 45 and 44.