FreeNAS alternative: OpenMediaVault [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FreeNAS alternative: OpenMediaVault

IndyGunFreak
10-19-2011, 13:46
Very new, has been in development for almost 2yrs, based on Debian Linux. Apparently the guy leading the project, used to head up FreeNas, before iXsystems took over.

I'm running it in Vbox right now as a test, and while there were some quirks I had a bit of trouble figuring out (documentation is sorely lacking).

Needs a little work (the GUI seems a bit odd, or maybe I've just gotten used to SSH), but it works well.

http://blog.openmediavault.org/

Batwing
10-19-2011, 20:06
Any major differences between the two you can see so far that would make you change from one to the other?

I went with FreeNAS because of the amount of experience people are starting to have with it. I'm having good luck with it so far, so I am a bit hesitant to change.

IndyGunFreak
10-19-2011, 20:12
Any major differences between the two you can see so far that would make you change from one to the other?

I went with FreeNAS because of the amount of experience people are starting to have with it. I'm having good luck with it so far, so I am a bit hesitant to change.

If FN is working for you, don't change. My biggest problem w/ FreeNas, was version 8, was not working for me and just caused me a horde of issues. For some reason, .7 would not boot on my machine (despite the fact it ran .6 just fine)

Right now, my file server is running Ubuntu Server, and I'm fine w/ that, so if I change, it's not gonna be until I've tested this at least another week or so.... Biggest difference obviously, is FreeNas is based on BSD, while OpenMediaVault is based on Debian.

IGF

Batwing
10-19-2011, 20:39
Interesting.

Well I am always looking at new things for backup situations but I am always careful to roll them out too soon. I think I tested FreeNAS for like three months before I was comfortable pushing it into production.

IndyGunFreak
10-20-2011, 03:01
Interesting.

Well I am always looking at new things for backup situations but I am always careful to roll them out too soon. I think I tested FreeNAS for like three months before I was comfortable pushing it into production.

Yeah.. I'm usually pretty much a "gamer" when it comes to stuff like this.. I test a few days, then install if I like it. After getting burned on FN8, I'll be more careful this time and test this thoroughly in Virtualbox. After a couple of days though, it seems like a winner.

One thing you might notice compared to FN8.. is OMV has no support for ZFS. Currently, it only has support for ext3 and ext4. This is sort of a disadvantage, but it should allow easy migration to btrfs once it's finally rolled out.

gemeinschaft
10-22-2011, 20:54
Thank you IGF, I am trying it out right now. I will give some feedback in a couple of days - still migrating my data.

My first impression is that the interface is pretty slick.

gemeinschaft
10-26-2011, 07:20
I have been running OMV for 4 days and so far, it has been great.

Simple to configure, stable and once I installed MediaTomb via SSH, I was able to share my files to my son's PS3.

The only device in the house that I cannot access files with is my Apple TV, but that is not due to shortcoming of the OMV, it has everything to do with Apple's resistance to allowing you connect a media server without their ability to impose DRM restrictions.

Nickotym
11-15-2011, 18:24
How does one access their media when stored on an OMV server? Thanks for giving the newb question some answers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Nickotym
11-15-2011, 18:32
Yeah.. I'm usually pretty much a "gamer" when it comes to stuff like this.. I test a few days, then install if I like it. After getting burned on FN8, I'll be more careful this time and test this thoroughly in Virtualbox. After a couple of days though, it seems like a winner.

One thing you might notice compared to FN8.. is OMV has no support for ZFS. Currently, it only has support for ext3 and ext4. This is sort of a disadvantage, but it should allow easy migration to btrfs once it's finally rolled out.

According to the wikipedia.org page OMV has support for ZFS.

gemeinschaft
11-15-2011, 20:03
How does one access their media when stored on an OMV server? Thanks for giving the newb question some answers.

I have shares set up on my OMV that are mapped to Directories that I have set up for Pictures, Music, Videos and Documents. I also have a Backup share that I use to backup my work laptop.

IGF walked me through installing MediaTomb as well which allows me to view my media files from my Playstation and other Plug and Play devices.

The User Interface is fairly easy and the overall installation/management is very easy. I haven't touched my OMV server since I set it up and it is purring like a kitten right now.

Nickotym
11-15-2011, 20:30
I have shares set up on my OMV that are mapped to Directories that I have set up for Pictures, Music, Videos and Documents. I also have a Backup share that I use to backup my work laptop.
So it just gets shared through the network like usual sharing of drives between computers on a windows network?
IGF walked me through installing MediaTomb as well which allows me to view my media files from my Playstation and other Plug and Play devices.

Gotta find out if my Samsung BD-D5700 bluray player can access trhough this, would it be listed on MediaTomb website?

The User Interface is fairly easy and the overall installation/management is very easy. I haven't touched my OMV server since I set it up and it is purring like a kitten right now.

Sounds cool overall. I need to get OMV downloaded.

gemeinschaft
11-15-2011, 21:53
Sounds cool overall. I need to get OMV downloaded.

The Shares show up on a Windows Machine just fine.

If you are on my LAN with a Windows box, you will see a device called "OpenMediaVault" and once you open that, you will see the shares.

I mapped each of the shares on my son's windows machine and he streams MP3s from my the OMV.

As far as the Samsung Blu-Ray Player, I would be surprised if it doesn't work - My Samsung Plasma TV finds MediaTomb using DLNA.

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2011, 21:54
According to the wikipedia.org page OMV has support for ZFS.

That post was written almost a month ago, but It's not supported yet, of that, I'm almost 100% positive. Mainly because, Linux support of ZFS as a whole, is very shaky.

The guy (he's 16) who did that wiki... He's a little off... he just copied the FreeNas wiki. I've not had much of a chance to really follow whats been going on w/ OMV, as I've been busy. You could probably try to set up ZFS via SSH (again though, be forewarned that Linux support of ZFS right now is shaky), but I'm 99% sure you can not do it via the webUI.

It might be better to wait until btrfs is fully supported, than to go w/ ZFS.

As for accessing your media... as gameinschaft pointed out.. if you have a UPNP player, you can use Mediatomb.. it's very easy to setup.

After that, there's Samba, NFS, AFP (i've not tested this yet, as I don't have apple stuff). If you're a Windows user (or even a Linux user w/ limited experience), Samba is dead nuts simple to set up. Then you access your stuff just like any other network drive.

Nickotym
11-15-2011, 23:02
The Shares show up on a Windows Machine just fine.

If you are on my LAN with a Windows box, you will see a device called "OpenMediaVault" and once you open that, you will see the shares.

I mapped each of the shares on my son's windows machine and he streams MP3s from my the OMV.

As far as the Samsung Blu-Ray Player, I would be surprised if it doesn't work - My Samsung Plasma TV finds MediaTomb using DLNA.

Thanks, Gemeinschaft. are you running it off a usb stick or did you put OMV on a hard drive? Any persistence issues?

Nickotym
11-16-2011, 00:21
Got OMV installed to my usb stick, now I just need to back up my current RAID with DriveImageXML so I can restore it if this doesn't work. Gonna hit the rack for tonight though.

IndyGunFreak
11-16-2011, 03:56
Thanks, Gemeinschaft. are you running it off a usb stick or did you put OMV on a hard drive? Any persistence issues?

You can put it on a USB drive, but OMV does a lot of disk writing, so don't expect the USB to last very long.

I put it on an old 80gig 2.5in sata drive I had laying around.

Nickotym
11-16-2011, 08:08
how about a laptop drive in a usb enclosure? I am not sure I want to put a SATA drive in this old server, no chasing good money after bad if it doesn't work out, you know. :)

Nickotym
11-18-2011, 01:39
any good tutorials for setting up OMV and mediatomb? Got OMV running, but can't get it usable yet.

I am also having trouble getting my hardware raid array with smart array 5i controller to be noticed by OMV either in the shell or in the GUI, any hints?

IndyGunFreak
11-18-2011, 02:12
any good tutorials for setting up OMV and mediatomb? Got OMV running, but can't get it usable yet.

I am also having trouble getting my hardware raid array with smart array 5i controller to be noticed by OMV either in the shell or in the GUI, any hints?

Unfortunately, my schedule is pretty backwards, so it'll be tough for me to help you much w/o specific questions and answers...

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/openmediavault/

There's the support forum. If you're comfortable with IRC... get on the freenode network, and join the channel #openmediavault Note, the channel isn't terrible active (given this is a fairly new project), but there's some fairly smart individuals that are there sometimes.

If you don't have an IRC client, you can use this web based one... http://webchat.freenode.net/

Nickotym
11-18-2011, 13:10
Thanks IGF. I gotta try another distro of linux and see if my RAID problem is specific to OMV or if it is a linux problem. I was reading on a few forums last night and came across some info that indicated a possible linux problem with the Smart Array 5i hardware controller. May have to see if there is a way to bypass that and allow it to be a software controlled RAID.

Most folks don't get why we tinker with linux, but half the fun is figuring it out, the other half is using it w/o needing to make changes once you do figure it out.

Nickotym
11-19-2011, 17:42
got my RAID recognized. I thought OMV was going to format it so i had not done so.

Put a couple videos onto the drive to test it and can't seem to get the windows machine to access the shares. I setup shares following instructions here (http://forum.mtachampions.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=147)

thanks for any help

gemeinschaft
11-19-2011, 18:02
I just want to make sure I understand, you set up the Samba shares and mapped them to the drives that you setup, correct?

Once enabled, you should be able to search your Network with Windows and find your OMV. Once you click on it, you should be able to see your shares.

I mapped mine as drives to make it easier for my 12 y/o son to use.

If you are not able to see your OMV shares, I would try to access them by navigating by the IP address of the OMV.

For instance, my OMV is at 10.0.0.249

So on a windows box it would be "\\10.0.0.249\music" would get you to my Music share.

IndyGunFreak
11-19-2011, 18:21
Ha, funny. I think I actually wrote 90% of that tutorial..lol.

What part are you having a problem with?

I have to leave in about 15min, but I"ll try to check back on this either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Nickotym
11-19-2011, 20:03
I just want to make sure I understand, you set up the Samba shares and mapped them to the drives that you setup, correct?
Yes, id did this within OMV
Once enabled, you should be able to search your Network with Windows and find your OMV. Once you click on it, you should be able to see your shares.
When I click on the share name, it says it can't find it, even though it shows it. I can't map them.
I mapped mine as drives to make it easier for my 12 y/o son to use.

If you are not able to see your OMV shares, I would try to access them by navigating by the IP address of the OMV.

For instance, my OMV is at 10.0.0.249
The IP address provided to access the OMV server is 192.168.1.36, is this maybe part of the problem? That is the ip I use to access the web gui for OMV.

So on a windows box it would be "\\10.0.0.249\music" would get you to my Music share.

Does that help?

Nickotym
11-19-2011, 20:27
i think i will try reinstalling omv to the hdd, maybe i missed something on setup.

gemeinschaft
11-20-2011, 06:41
Does that help?

Yes, that helps.

192.168.1.36 is the IP of the OMV if that is the address you use to get to the GUI.

I prefer to have a static IP for my OMV, but YMMV. You can configure that either on your router or int he Management console of the OMV.

One thing that I am wondering is whether or not there is some sort of DNS issue going on or a permissions problem.

On the DNS side of my thinking, I would first look at where you computer is getting DNS from - you can find out by opening a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" and press enter. This should show you your DNS settings. If you are getting DNS from your Gateway address and a secondary DNS source, before changing anything, you could flush your DNS Cache and see what effect that would have - -"ipconfig /flushdns"

If you are using a static IP and would prefer to get your DNS from another source than your router, I would suggest adding it to your Hosts file by going to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Here is a quick tutorial on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

If flushing the DNS cache does not resolve it after you have verified that you are getting DNS from your Gateway address, then I'm willing to bet that its safe to say that this is not DNS related.

Permissions - Have you given permission to OMV to allow access to your shares? This is extremely important because OMV will not show shares unless you enable them in permissions and tell OMV exactly how to enable this.

I would go back to the step by step guide and check that all of the steps written were followed, especially in the permissions section.

I would not reinstall OMV, give it a couple more stabs. ONce you get it setup the way it needs to be, it will be set it and forget.

Nickotym
11-20-2011, 20:35
Didn't even touch it today. I will try again tomorrow and check your suggestions gemienschaft.

Unfortunately, i started reinstalling and it hung on partitioning my drive, so i need to get that solved too. Will probably try fixing that with a live cd of ubuntu 10.10. Hopefully i didn't brick the drive, but no big loss if i did. I think i have another spare somewhere.

Nickotym
11-20-2011, 20:40
Looking forward to getting this going then seeding it w some holiday cartoons for the kids.

Is it possible to access from an ipad with mediatomb once all set up?

gemeinschaft
11-21-2011, 11:18
Looking forward to getting this going then seeding it w some holiday cartoons for the kids.

That is something I need to test. I know you can admin through the Webgui, but I am pretty sure you are talking about streaming media onto an iPad, correct?

gemeinschaft
11-21-2011, 11:30

You just opened up a new idea for me... I can now stream to my iPad using an app called AirPlayer. It was $4.99, but I think it will be worth it.

It works great.

Now if only the AppleTV would be able to access my MediaTomb, I would be good to go.

Nickotym
11-22-2011, 08:21
Glad I could help, now I just need to get time to work on my setup.

Never enough of that stuff they call "time", you know!

Nickotym
11-22-2011, 22:04
Gemeinschaft, I tried all you suggested, but still having promblems. It must be a permissions thing, but i did exactly as suggested on the tutorial page i linked earlier. I did not set up restricted shares and did not change the pword otherwise did all.

Any ideas on what to check?

gemeinschaft
11-22-2011, 22:29
Gemeinschaft, I tried all you suggested, but still having promblems. It must be a permissions thing, but i did exactly as suggested on the tutorial page i linked earlier. I did not set up restricted shares and did not change the pword otherwise did all.

Any ideas on what to check?

So you can see your shares, but not access them?

Nickotym
11-22-2011, 23:23
So you can see your shares, but not access them?

Exactly.

Based on some info on the OMV forum, I am beginning to think the problem is the fact i am using a hardware RAID. The developer states there are no plans to support them. :crying: It sees a usb drive and then I can access it, but the window shows no files even though it is half full.

Gotta find a linux based alternative and see if it offers hardware RAID support. may just try ubuntu server with mediatomb.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 01:39
Exactly.

Based on some info on the OMV forum, I am beginning to think the problem is the fact i am using a hardware RAID. The developer states there are no plans to support them. :crying: It sees a usb drive and then I can access it, but the window shows no files even though it is half full.

Gotta find a linux based alternative and see if it offers hardware RAID support. may just try ubuntu server with mediatomb.

Hmm, I'm not entirely convinced thats your issue. I think it's a mount point issue to be truthful. I'm way to tired to explain right now, but I'm off tomorrow, and should be around midafternoon/early evening. If you want to IM me, I'm indygunfreak on AIM and Yahoo, and we can try to work through this. The part I put in bold above, strongly makes me suspect this is a mount point issue.

Ubuntu Server is easy to use as well though. It's actually my preferred server distro.. Good hardware support, easy to use, repositories are packed w/ software... tough to beat IMO, even if you don't like Ubuntu as a desktop. If you're comfortable with command line, it might be a way to resolve this.

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 06:18
Hmm, I'm not entirely convinced thats your issue. I think it's a mount point issue to be truthful. I'm way to tired to explain right now, but I'm off tomorrow, and should be around midafternoon/early evening. If you want to IM me, I'm indygunfreak on AIM and Yahoo, and we can try to work through this. The part I put in bold above, strongly makes me suspect this is a mount point issue.

Ubuntu Server is easy to use as well though. It's actually my preferred server distro.. Good hardware support, easy to use, repositories are packed w/ software... tough to beat IMO, even if you don't like Ubuntu as a desktop. If you're comfortable with command line, it might be a way to resolve this.

@IGF
one thing of note: after posting that message, I put in a live cd of ubuntuserver 10.04.3 when I look at the drives in that, it shows that an empty folder was put on each drive for samba shares. I was too tired to put samba on the live installation, so i couldn't test it. I am not sure if I will be able to monkey with this until later this evening, but if you get a chance to put some things to check here I sure would appreciate it. OMV seems like it will be easy to work with once set up correctly and I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Assuming i get this set up, is it hard to configure shares for mediatomb or will that be a piece of cake?

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 09:54
@IGF
Assuming i get this set up, is it hard to configure shares for mediatomb or will that be a piece of cake?

Mediatomb sets up in about 20sec on both Ubuntu Server and OMV. It's not hard at all.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 11:58
@IGF
one thing of note: after posting that message, I put in a live cd of ubuntuserver 10.04.3 when I look at the drives in that, it shows that an empty folder was put on each drive for samba shares. I was too tired to put samba on the live installation, so i couldn't test it. I am not sure if I will be able to monkey with this until later this evening, but if you get a chance to put some things to check here I sure would appreciate it. OMV seems like it will be easy to work with once set up correctly and I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Well, Ubuntu server doesn't have a live CD, so I assume you mean a desktop CD (essentially the same thing though, and your point is made).

What filesystem is your RAID formatted as?

Boot OMV
SSH into your server

type these commands separately, and give me the output of each
mount
fdisk -l (don't miss the space after fdisk, and that is a lowercase L)
blkid

After that, type this at the command prompt cd /media
you should see the prompt change after hitting enter, post the output of ls (Ls)

After that, while still SSH'd into your server, type: apt-get install pastebinit and let it install.

After it installs, type this at the command prompt pastebinit /etc/fstab (again, don't miss the space after pastebinit). After hitting enter, you'll be given a link... Put the link in your post. All this is going to do, is pastebin the contents of fstab, which is what controls how drives are mounted, where they are mounted, etc.

If we can get the OS to see the files, etc.. Mediatomb will set up very very easily (20sec might be an exaggeration, it might be 15.. ;) ).

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 13:24
RAID 5 is formatted as ext4.

Boot OMV
SSH into your server

mount
login as: root

root@openmediavault:~# mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 on /media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762 type ext4 (rw,noexec,acl,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0)
/dev/cciss/c0d1p1 on /media/83bebf9b-706e-479e-b8e0-6a793623252a type ext4 (rw,noexec,acl,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/F114-D4AE type vfat (rw)
/media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1 on /home/ftp/Raid1 type none (rw,bind)
/media/83bebf9b-706e-479e-b8e0-6a793623252a/Raid2 on /home/ftp/Raid2 type none (rw,bind)
/media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1 on /export/Raid1 type none (rw,bind)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
root@openmediavault:~#

blkid

you should see the prompt change after hitting enter, post the output of ls (Ls)

After that, while still SSH'd into your server, type: apt-get install pastebinit and let it install.

After it installs, type this at the command prompt pastebinit /etc/fstab (again, don't miss the space after pastebinit). After hitting enter, you'll be given a link... Put the link in your post. All this is going to do, is pastebin the contents of fstab, which is what controls how drives are mounted, where they are mounted, etc.

If we can get the OS to see the files, etc.. Mediatomb will set up very very easily (20sec might be an exaggeration, it might be 15.. ;) ).

let's start with that, i will put the rest in a new post

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 13:33
Well, Ubuntu server doesn't have a live CD, so I assume you mean a desktop CD (essentially the same thing though, and your point is made).

Boot OMV
SSH into your server

mount

root@openmediavault:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 145.7 GB, 145667358720 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 34866 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009d912

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 1 34866 142253264 83 Linux

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d1: 36.4 GB, 36406394880 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 8714 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00025788

/dev/cciss/c0d1p1 1 8714 35553104 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361344 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0004155b

/dev/sda1 * 1 9330 74936320 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 9330 9730 3212289 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 9330 9730 3212288 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

/dev/sdb1 1 38913 312568641 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

blkid

root@openmediavault:~# blkid
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1: LABEL="RAID1" UUID="68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/cciss/c0d1p1: LABEL="RAID2" UUID="83bebf9b-706e-479e-b8e0-6a793623252a" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda1: UUID="7b340bde-ae70-45a2-b594-63cf50b2a711" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="37a41243-b1ad-40c6-9a66-dc7b0dc8e0df" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="MYPASSPORT" UUID="F114-D4AE" TYPE="vfat"

root@openmediavault:~# cd /media
root@openmediavault:/media# ls
68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762 cdrom F114-D4AE floppy0 usb0 usb2
83bebf9b-706e-479e-b8e0-6a793623252a cdrom0 floppy usb usb1

more to come

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 13:37

root@openmediavault:/media# pastebinit /etc/fstab
http://pastebin.com/DfytFi1Y

that is all. One of the USB drives is the Openmediavault system disk.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 14:02
All right... now I'm nearly certain this is a mount issue. First, do you know which of those drives your files are on? (the UUID's?) If not...

try this cd /media
cd /media/68 (then hit tab... and this will auto complete the path then hit enter)
ls

See if that is the folder w/ all your files.

If not, cd /media and then repeat, instead using cd /media/83 (tab)

and find the UUID that has all your files on it...

Then.... go to the OMV GUI
Go to Shared Folders --
Click Add
Create a new folder with a very unique name on your system (TEST)

Now, go back to your SSH window, and CD into all those folders again(that are under /media), and see which one has the folder "TEST"

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 14:07
All right... now I'm nearly certain this is a mount issue. First, do you know which of those drives your files are on? (the UUID's?) If not...

try this cd /media
cd /media/68 (then hit tab... and this will auto complete the path then hit enter)
ls

See if that is the folder w/ all your files.

If not, cd /media and then repeat, instead using cd /media/83 (tab)

and find the UUID that has all your files on it...

Then.... go to the OMV GUI
Go to Shared Folders --
Click Add
Create a new folder with a very unique name on your system (TEST)

Now, go back to your SSH window, and CD into all those folders again(that are under /media), and see which one has the folder "TEST"

i have files on the disks labeled My Passport(F114-D4AE) and Raid1(68etc)

also want RAID2(83etc) to be accessible

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 14:11
i have files on the disks labeled My Passport and Raid1

Also, you need to determine what folders those files are under, under /media

When you create the folder "TEST" where does it end up? I'm not worried about what you want to work right now, I'm trying to figure out what IS working.

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 14:14
Also, you need to determine what folders those files are under, under /media

They are in the folders that start 68, F114, and I want 83 to be accessible too.

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 14:17
OMV gui lists them under filesystems as starting with /dev/ and then the respective names sdb1, cciss/c0detc.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 14:26
They are in the folders that start 68, F114, and I want 83 to be accessible too.

OK... I have to run for a few, I'll be back and try to make this more clear.

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 14:29
thanks for the help, I won't get back to it until later this evening. Maybe we can setup a IM or somtehing

Just to clarify, I found them under /media, but the gui lists them as under /dev not sure if this is a problem or not. i believe /dev is the old way and /media is the newer way, right?

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 18:38
OK, I'm back for good now, should be up a few hours. Shoot me an IM or PM here on GT, and we'll hook up.

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 20:55
when i create a "TEST" folder it ends up in /media/68*****etc and that correlates to the drive i told it to.

Nickotym
11-23-2011, 21:20
this isn't as simple as renaming the 68**********etc to a shorter name is it?

IndyGunFreak
11-24-2011, 01:19
this isn't as simple as renaming the 68**********etc to a shorter name is it?

First, sorry.. I ended up getting a fairly stiff headache and laid down and ended up falling asleep. Second, sorry this post is so long winded, but I think I figured out your problem.

No, do not change the folder name, as it will brick everything

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, as there's been quite a few complaints about this (and it is not likely to change from what I have read on this issue) You cannot share the "root" directory of any drive...

In other words, you cannot share /media/68***** , however from what you've said, you can share /media/68******/some_folder.

Do this....
First SSH your server
cd /media/68*******
ls

This should list all the directories and files on the drive with the 68** UUID.
Look at the list of folder names... Say you have a directory named "Cars" (case sensitive), that is on the /media/68***** drive (at this point, choose a directory name that does not have a space.. I'm still trying to figure out how to overcome this one.)

Go to the OMV GUI
Go to shared folders
Click Add
In the "Name" section, put the exact name of the folder (case sensitive) ie.. "Cars"
In the "Volume" choose the volume that the folder "Cars" is on
Click OK to save

Now.. you should see the "Cars" folder in your shared folder list. Assuming you are using samba for network access, you need to determine if this will be a "Guest" share (no username or password required) or a "User Restricted" share.

Go back to those instructions in Post #21. If the folder you added will be User Restricted,
Follow the instructions in section G, but since we've already added the share above, you can skip the steps that involve creating the share, as we just did that. Make sure you create a user if you have not already and make sure you follow the part on setting Privileges.

If it's a "Guest" share, same thing.. just follow section F, and make sure you set the privileges.

Once that is done, follow section H and I in their entirety...

Once done, you should have access to the share, and be able to access anything under /media/68*****/Cars. Any Files or directories you had under that folder, should still be there.

If that all works properly, then you can set up a share for each directory under /media/68***. If you have a lot of Files/Directories on the root directory (/media/68***) ... I have a way of overcoming this, but I'd rather talk to you 1 on 1 about that, as I'm not sure how you are with Linux command line. Not difficult, but I don't want there to be any confusion.

OK.. Hope I didn't lose you with all that, but all that I put above should work, unless somehow I lost you.

If I lost you, I'll be around Saturday and Sunday afternoon/evening, unless something changes between now and then.

Nickotym
11-24-2011, 18:57
First, sorry.. I ended up getting a fairly stiff headache and laid down and ended up falling asleep. Second, sorry this post is so long winded, but I think I figured out your problem.

No, do not change the folder name, as it will brick everything

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, as there's been quite a few complaints about this (and it is not likely to change from what I have read on this issue) You cannot share the "root" directory of any drive...

In other words, you cannot share /media/68***** , however from what you've said, you can share /media/68******/some_folder.

Do this....
First SSH your server
cd /media/68*******
ls

This should list all the directories and files on the drive with the 68** UUID.
Look at the list of folder names... Say you have a directory named "Cars" (case sensitive), that is on the /media/68***** drive (at this point, choose a directory name that does not have a space.. I'm still trying to figure out how to overcome this one.)

Go to the OMV GUI
Go to shared folders
Click Add
In the "Name" section, put the exact name of the folder (case sensitive) ie.. "Cars"
In the "Volume" choose the volume that the folder "Cars" is on
Click OK to save

Now.. you should see the "Cars" folder in your shared folder list. Assuming you are using samba for network access, you need to determine if this will be a "Guest" share (no username or password required) or a "User Restricted" share.

Go back to those instructions in Post #21. If the folder you added will be User Restricted,
Follow the instructions in section G, but since we've already added the share above, you can skip the steps that involve creating the share, as we just did that. Make sure you create a user if you have not already and make sure you follow the part on setting Privileges.

If it's a "Guest" share, same thing.. just follow section F, and make sure you set the privileges.

Once that is done, follow section H and I in their entirety...

Once done, you should have access to the share, and be able to access anything under /media/68*****/Cars. Any Files or directories you had under that folder, should still be there.

If that all works properly, then you can set up a share for each directory under /media/68***. If you have a lot of Files/Directories on the root directory (/media/68***) ... I have a way of overcoming this, but I'd rather talk to you 1 on 1 about that, as I'm not sure how you are with Linux command line. Not difficult, but I don't want there to be any confusion.

OK.. Hope I didn't lose you with all that, but all that I put above should work, unless somehow I lost you.

If I lost you, I'll be around Saturday and Sunday afternoon/evening, unless something changes between now and then.

I'll give that all a try and post back the results.

Nickotym
11-24-2011, 20:16
I can now see the info on my Passport USB drive, but still cannot see the info on my RAID drives.

Nickotym
11-24-2011, 23:18
got mediatomb setup and it can see the info on all drives, but still can't use samba to get to the RAID disks.

IndyGunFreak
11-25-2011, 12:07
got mediatomb setup and it can see the info on all drives, but still can't use samba to get to the RAID disks.

OK... So Mediatomb can see the info on all the drives(including the RAID), but Samba cannot see info on the raid drives?

Have you restarted Samba since adding the Raid Folders to your samba shares?

SSH into your server
service samba stop
you should see a message saying samba is being stopped.
Go to the OMV GUI, and add shared folders(just like you did w/ the USB drive) that are on the RAID. Also make sure you've set permissions properly.
After you've added all the folders/set permissions..
Go back to your SSH window
service samba start
you should see a message that samba is starting.
Give it a second to load, then try mapping the drives in Windows.

Nickotym
11-25-2011, 12:21
IGF,

I won't get a chance until this evening, but will try your suggestions then.

IndyGunFreak
11-25-2011, 12:35
That's fine... If you find restarting samba still does not let you share the raid drive

pastebinit /etc/samba/smb.conf

and give me the link.

IGF

Nickotym
11-25-2011, 18:54
That's fine... If you find restarting samba still does not let you share the raid drive

pastebinit /etc/samba/smb.conf

and give me the link.

IGF

No joy yet.

Here is the link:

root@openmediavault:~# pastebinit /etc/samba/smb.conf
http://pastebin.com/8NUNcMJM

IndyGunFreak
11-25-2011, 18:57
I gotta leave in a couple minutes, but I may try to look at this tonight if I'm not busy.

Are you sure that's the right link, it's coming up invalid?

IndyGunFreak
11-25-2011, 19:00
Which RAID is not working? It looks like you have 2.

Nickotym
11-25-2011, 19:10
Neither one has been working. I am focusing on raid1, and have not been trying much with raid2. figure I can apply whatever i learn with raid1 to raid 2.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 12:07
Nick... I was noodling your issue w/ someone in the IRC channel, and he picked up on something that I had completely missed.... You changed your samba workgroup, from "WORKGROUP" to "OUTLOOK"

As a test, change that back to WORKGROUP in the OMV GUI.
Try to add RAID shares to Samba
Restart Samba

Neither of us is 100% convinced this is the issue, especially since the USB is working, but we're just trying to eliminate things that are not "default"

I may have to leave in a few, if you're so inclined... Use the instructions I put in post #19 to get into the IRC channel, and look for the username fromport.

Edit: Keep in mind, when you do this, you'll probably have to remap your currently working USB drive, since the workgroup will change.

IGF

Nickotym
11-26-2011, 18:11
I could try that, but the workgroup my computers belong to is "OUTLOOK", so I would have to change it all around.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 18:13
I could try that, but the workgroup my computers belong to is "OUTLOOK", so I would have to change it all around.

Hmm, well, that was the only thing we could come up with that *could* be causing the issue.

I don't think the machines have to be in the same workgroup, in order to get on the NAS via Samba.

Nickotym
11-26-2011, 18:28
Tried it, no luck. Gonna just have to keep looking and asking around I guess. I still wonder if it is just an issue of not working with a hardware RAID. wish there was a way I could set up each drive in the hardware raid as its own drive and then try controlling it with a software raid. may look into that. I don't have anything on the drrives that i can't put back when done.

Nickotym
11-26-2011, 18:29
maybe i can set each drive up as a raid0 in the hardware controller

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 18:33
I don't think it's a controller issue.

If it were a controller issue, the drives would likely not be recognized, and Mediatomb would not see them.

This is a samba issue, in my opinion.

IGF

Nickotym
11-26-2011, 18:44
what a pain this can be eh?

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 19:00
what a pain this can be eh?

Just doesn't make any sense... Wish I had a better explanation. I imagine when the solution is found, it's gonna be "Oh, I can't believe I missed that"

Nickotym
11-26-2011, 19:10
Just doesn't make any sense... Wish I had a better explanation. I imagine when the solution is found, it's gonna be "Oh, I can't believe I missed that"

I am sure it will be like that, it usually is. Anyway, have a good night. I will keep looking, if i figure it out, i will let you know. If you happen to come across anything post it here, i will keep checking back.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 19:34
try this...
SSH into server
apt-get install smbclient

Let that install
after it installs

smbclient -L openmediavault | pastebinit

Linux3
11-26-2011, 21:55
Hummm,
I've used Samba on hardware and software raids and I don't see that as an issue. I agree with IGF that if it can be seen at all than Samba should be able to deal with it.

The only thing I'm thinking is the mount point. That PATH
/media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1
Could it just be too long for Samba to deal with?
I would do a;
mkdir /Raid1
chmod 777 /Raid1
ln -s /media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1 /Raid1
Then shut down Samba and edit the conf file to
# path = /media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1
path = /Raid1
Restart Samba and try that.

Not saying this is the problem but everything else looks ok.
If that works then I would edit /etc/fstab and mount the raids as /Raid1 and /Raid2.

The symbolic link is just a quick and dirty way to eliminate a potential issue.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 22:16
Hummm,
I've used Samba on hardware and software raids and I don't see that as an issue. I agree with IGF that if it can be seen at all than Samba should be able to deal with it.

The only thing I'm thinking is the mount point. That PATH
/media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1
Could it just be too long for Samba to deal with?
I would do a;
mkdir /Raid1
chmod 777 /Raid1
ln -s /media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1 /Raid1
Then shut down Samba and edit the conf file to
# path = /media/68cd1021-fe0c-455b-8962-347d75bea762/Raid1
path = /Raid1
Restart Samba and try that.

Not saying this is the problem but everything else looks ok.
If that works then I would edit /etc/fstab and mount the raids as /Raid1 and /Raid2.

The symbolic link is just a quick and dirty way to eliminate a potential issue.

It's solved... fromport figured it out in the IRC channel.. I'll let Nick chime in on the details..

Nickotym
11-26-2011, 22:42
Thanks IGF and fromport!!

it was a permissions problem that is apparently a bug that is being worked on.
Took about 2 hrs of trying different stuff and we got it figured out. Had to chmod 775 the drives to get it to work.

I am downloading a torrent right now and heading to bed.