View Full Version : Ohio Safari

WiskyT
10-19-2011, 17:04
When does Fred get back?

rpgman
10-19-2011, 17:39
What was that guy thinking?
Over 18 tigers plus Mountain lions etc.

He really wanted those animals to do some damage.

dkf
10-19-2011, 17:55
Th eguy sounded like a nut ball to me, the fact that he shot himself in the head after releasing the animals kinda confirmed that. Police shot like 49 of the animals already, one of the lions got hit by a car. I find it hard to believe they needed to kill all them vs shooting them with a tranq gun but I guess they didn't have the resources to do so.

I find it dumb that people are even permited to have these types of animals. Of course when you see what some of the animals fetch on the black market for parts its more understandable why people have them. We have problems in my state with people paying to "hunt" exotics on private land and they end up getting loose. Not any sport in letting an animal out of cage and shooting it, down right moronic IMO.

Hogpauls
10-19-2011, 20:56
Animals like that are best left in the wild. I don't care how long in captivity they have been their natural instinct will take over at any given time. Case in point the lady who had her face and hands ripped off by Bo Bo the chimp.

It is a shame they had to be put down but I fully agree with the sheriff with his decision to do so. Better have proof positive some 600 lb lion will not harm the public then wonder as the beast wanders off into the woods if that tranq dart did its job or not. Plus how many departments keep big game tranquilizers on hand for such occasions?

I'll stop now. The whole situation is just wrong on so many fronts. :steamed:

fredj338
10-19-2011, 21:42
I was kind bummed that the local guys didn't have the basic skills to go after & dart some of those animals. The guy that owned them may have been a kook or a rescue type guy that took exotics when other were tired of playing w/ them. I would think in Ohio the F&G guys would have bigger stones, but I suppose not.

freakshow10mm
10-19-2011, 23:09
Tranqing an animal like that isn't like Hollywood.

Stuff like that, the public safety is #1. He made the right call and that's how it should be. If I were in his county, I'd vote for him again.

Foxtrotx1
10-19-2011, 23:29
Tranquilizing animals requires knowing the proper dosing for not only the weight of the animal but also the type of animal. This varies from species to species. It's a crap shoot. Not to mention under dosing them can just piss them off and take 20 minutes to slow them down. Oh yeah, and even a proper dose can be shrugged off. .308 much safer.

fredj338
10-20-2011, 09:25
Tranqing an animal like that isn't like Hollywood.

Stuff like that, the public safety is #1. He made the right call and that's how it should be. If I were in his county, I'd vote for him again.
Oh I understand that, but there had to have been a zoo nearby, helicopters & phones. I am sure it could have been done to save more of the animals. I just know how local LE guys are w/ even cattle around here. It's shoot em a lot, easier than going the other route & safer for everone too, but sad for the animals.

rpgman
10-20-2011, 09:53
I feel bad for the animals having been put in that situation.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
No one should be able to own exotic animals that are dangerous.<o:p></o:p>
That's the reason there are these private preserves, because after awhile, the owners either get tired of caring for the animal or their too dangerous for the owners and they ship them off to these private preserves.<o:p></o:p>
Should be against the law.<o:p></o:p>
Greg<o:p></o:p>

m2hmghb
10-20-2011, 11:09
We had a tiger get lose near me a while ago. They had to kill it as well. Cops around here cannot use a tranq gun and the vets dont practice using them. They were able to get 1 hit on the animal but it shrugged it off. We had a baboon loose last month or the month before, they were able to recapture it safely.

fredj338
10-20-2011, 12:32
Yea, we had a cow get loose & on the side of the freeway here in SOcal a few years ago. the Irvine PD worried it would get onto the frwy & cause a fatal crash so two of theses city boys thought they would kill it w/ their service 45s. Some 24 shots later it went down. I don't think COM works on a cow w/ service rounds. I guess no one told them to walk up to old jersey & put one in her head.