View Full Version : Max Load for a S&W 640-1

barth
10-19-2011, 18:38
Hi Mas,
Just got a 640-1 at the gun show.
Tried Remington Golden Saber -1200 fps,
Winchester PDX1 Defender -1325 fps,
and Hornady Critical Defense -1500 fps.
They all kick hard so I'm thinking go big with the fastest.
(I know the velocity will be reduced in my snub nose).

Now I see Double Tap's bonded defense round at - 1605 fps
(1425fps / 1 7/8" S&W)
Is this too much pressure for the Stainless J-frame?

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
10-19-2011, 21:43
Barth, it's tough for me to discuss the loads when the velocities are listed but the bullet weights are not.

From the user's perspectie, controllability has to come before raw power. I think we'll all agree that the ability to hit the right spot under extreme pressure is more important than the raw power of the load.

Personally, I do this for a living and do more than my share of shooting, and I carry +P .38 Special in the very small and light J-framel revolvers. In an all-steel small frame .357 snub in the 25-ounce weight range, I carry full power 125 grain Magnum hollow points, but I also pay my dues with training and qualification with those loads in those guns.

Each of us has to find our own balance.

Best,
Mas

barth
10-19-2011, 22:52
Barth, it's tough for me to discuss the loads when the velocities are listed but the bullet weights are not.

From the user's perspectie, controllability has to come before raw power. I think we'll all agree that the ability to hit the right spot under extreme pressure is more important than the raw power of the load.

Personally, I do this for a living and do more than my share of shooting, and I carry +P .38 Special in the very small and light J-framel revolvers. In an all-steel small frame .357 snub in the 25-ounce weight range, I carry full power 125 grain Magnum hollow points, but I also pay my dues with training and qualification with those loads in those guns.

Each of us has to find our own balance.

Best,
Mas

Mas,

All bullet weights are 125 grain.
The gun is an all stainless steel 23 oz model.
So it sounds like the gun isn't an issue, I am.

Will get more ammo and hit the range to determine
If I can be accurate and proficient with full power ammo.

Thanks again Mas,
Here is wishing you and your family have a happy and safe Holiday Season!

Barth

Mas Ayoob
10-20-2011, 07:04
That DT load sounds pretty hot for a J-frame. After all, we're talking a .32 frame gun.

If you want full power, that's generally seen as a 125 grain load rated for 1400-1450 fps out of a 4" barrel. In .357 Mag, you get a significant drop; I've seen as little as 1220 fps and as much as 1350 fps out of a snubby with assorted runs of 125 grain .357 Mag.

Different grips may give you less discomfort and more control. Think Pachmayr Compac with a cushy bit of "rubber" shielding the web of the hand area.

best,
Mas

barth
10-20-2011, 16:59
That DT load sounds pretty hot for a J-frame. After all, we're talking a .32 frame gun.

If you want full power, that's generally seen as a 125 grain load rated for 1400-1450 fps out of a 4" barrel. In .357 Mag, you get a significant drop; I've seen as little as 1220 fps and as much as 1350 fps out of a snubby with assorted runs of 125 grain .357 Mag.

Different grips may give you less discomfort and more control. Think Pachmayr Compac with a cushy bit of "rubber" shielding the web of the hand area.

best,
Mas

Just ordered:
Pachmayr Compac Grip S&W J-Frame Rd Butt
Speer GDHP 357 Mag 135gr Short Barrel (990 fps from 2" Barrel)

Sometimes I just need a nudge in the right direction - LOL!
Thanks Mas

Barth

barth
11-19-2011, 15:12
Hello Mas,

I have two things in mind.
1) Tried six brands of various 357 mag ammo and found my sweet spot
of power and control-ability with Remington Golden Saber 357 JHP.
Bought 4 different grips and far and away love the Pachmayr Compacs
you recommended.

2) From myself, and all of us at GlockTalk that are a little wiser and safer
with your SD advise;

Here is wishing you and yours the very best Thanksgiving Holiday!

Your new friend Barth