Is Civil Service good or bad for Police? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Civil Service good or bad for Police?

Cav
10-19-2011, 20:39
Like the title says, whats your view?

Did you work there when it changed?

Would you rather have it the other way?

DaBigBR
10-19-2011, 21:09
From the outside looking in I would say that it's good, or can at least be good. Those of you on here that know what has happened at my department in the last year or so understand why.

Sharkey
10-19-2011, 21:17
Oh definitely good IMHO. Had it at the first dept. I was with and I'd still have a job after 10yrs. if the second agency was civil service.

CAcop
10-19-2011, 22:11
Good. I can't imagine how bad things would be if it wasn't. As it is right now there is a lot of nepotism, cronism, and favoritism. If it weren't for civil service I wouldn't be surprised if they assigned shifts based on how good of a BJ the female officers gave (if at all) and how many stories of BJs from coworkers the man in charge of patrol got.

Bruce M
10-20-2011, 05:37
While it does not eliminate it, it does help some to shield from politics.

Officer X
10-20-2011, 06:55
I left a non civil service pd for my current one which is cc.

While not perfect, at least there are rules which are followed and there is more fairness. There are ways to bend some rules at times but it's nothing like the old place where the chief basically did whatever he felt like.

merlynusn
10-20-2011, 08:05
I think it's good. With the amount of revenge at our department, people would get fired left and right. Fortunately, they can't be fired because it's not a fireable offense and so they just shaft them with shift schedules, etc. So while the shift they are on sucks, they at least have a job.

Hack
10-20-2011, 10:02
Anything not military is civil service in my area. The differences are whether they are law enforcement or not, as to categorization of positions. In federal civil service even fire fighters get the law enforcement benefits, and early out requirements, (forced retirement at 57), with some exceptions. It makes it a little bit better if you are represented by the union local, concerning keeping things in check between bargaining unit employees and non bargaining unit. Otherwise it is good to have liability insurance to go to bat for you concerning any various issues that may crop up.

Agent6-3/8
10-20-2011, 10:08
Definitely a good thing. I can only imagine how corrupt things would be around here if not for it.

Electrikkoolaid
10-20-2011, 10:25
Civil Service only suppresses the OVERT nepotism/cronyism.

ateamer
10-20-2011, 12:36
Civil service is good. It brings fairness to hiring, discipline and retention. Deputies can't be fired just because they belong to the wrong political party. Officers can't be fired because they issued a lawful ticket to a doctor who has connections. Unqualified people can't be hired by bypassing the process.

There isn't total fairness, but things are much better with civil service.

JBaird22
10-20-2011, 13:00
Having worked under both, civil service is certainly better. My opinions mirror those of others in favor of it. I am trying to get back to a department that a. is civil service, and b. is union.

mikegun
10-20-2011, 13:36
Civil service is a good thing, it saved my job on two occasions, no more needs to be said about that.

SCSU74
10-20-2011, 14:30
so far i am loving it...no issues to speak of. also takes the politics out of promotions. when there are vacancies there is a test and the top score gets the spot followed by #2 #3 so on

dano1427
10-20-2011, 17:34
I'm a bit confused: Aren't all PD's, being an arm of Govt, "Civil Service?"

CAcop
10-20-2011, 17:36

Nope. No requirement. Although most cities prefer it because it cuts down on crap that gets people and the city/county sued.

Mayhem like Me
10-20-2011, 18:20
Many especially in the south are "at will" and can be fired for pissing off the wrong connected person.....

JohnnyReb
10-20-2011, 18:39
OR just when a new sheriff is elected for that matter.

DaBigBR
10-20-2011, 18:44

Do they all provide a "civil service"...yeah, I suppose so, but as others have stated there is no requirement in a lot of places that they be governed by a civil service commission.

AngryBassets
10-20-2011, 19:56
My first department wasn't Civil Service. Coincidentally, my dad was the chief. :whistling:

Now, I know of another department in my immediate area who's chief damn near gave himself a hernia trying everything he could to get around promoting people that weren't in his fold...just tough to do when the guy just keeps scoring #1, doesn't get in trouble and ever-so-subtly makes it known that he isn't going to just go away.

merlynusn
10-21-2011, 08:40
Civil service is good. It brings fairness to hiring, discipline and retention. Deputies can't be fired just because they belong to the wrong political party. Officers can't be fired because they issued a lawful ticket to a doctor who has connections. Unqualified people can't be hired by bypassing the process.

There isn't total fairness, but things are much better with civil service.

Yep, unqualified people just get hired after going through the process. As we are finding out with all the lawsuits right now on a certain former officer who is now a "guest" of the state. :faint:

so far i am loving it...no issues to speak of. also takes the politics out of promotions. when there are vacancies there is a test and the top score gets the spot followed by #2 #3 so on

Even with our civil service, they do not take the politics out of promotions. The SGT list is #1, #2, etc.... All the other promotions are done by the "Rule of 5." That means that the Chief can pick any of the top 5 people to promote for a specific vacancy. So when the #1 and #2 person on the Captains list don't get promoted so some of the Chief's friends can, there is still a LOT of politics in promotions. It all depends on your department's policies.

Naelbis
10-21-2011, 08:45
I would kill for civil service....you really can't have a truely professional department without it.

SCSU74
10-21-2011, 15:24
Ya ours is strictly by # unless the chief is putting together a special detail for something

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

steveksux
10-21-2011, 18:42
I would kill for civil service....you really can't have a truely professional department without it.And if it were a union position as well, you'd be able to keep your job afterwards.. :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

Naelbis
10-21-2011, 18:46
And if it were a union position as well, you'd be able to keep your job afterwards.. :tongueout::rofl:

Randy
LOL touche

Dukeboy01
10-21-2011, 19:50
The Sheriff's office in my county is "at will." It's the most screwed up system I can imagine. The Sheriff picks who's going to be a sergeant, lieutenant, rear admiral of the fleet, etc. If she wants to pay one person more, somebody else takes a paycut. It's nuts.

RVER
10-21-2011, 19:51
Better.

Naelbis
10-22-2011, 12:44
The Sheriff's office in my county is "at will." It's the most screwed up system I can imagine. The Sheriff picks who's going to be a sergeant, lieutenant, rear admiral of the fleet, etc. If she wants to pay one person more, somebody else takes a paycut. It's nuts.
You just described my department to the T...it sucks unless you're one of the chosen few.