More 44 mag help please. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More 44 mag help please.

Hogpauls
10-19-2011, 21:21
Ok guys how many loadings are you getting out of 44 mag brass with medium to warm loads? Which speed loaders are better the Safariland or the HKS?

fredj338
10-19-2011, 21:26
With loads in that range, 10x loaded is not unreasonable, especially if you stay to the midrange level. I use the HKS loaders for carrying spare rounds for the S&W but I would sure use the Safariland loaders as well.

Zombie Steve
10-19-2011, 23:30
Load 'em till they split in the resizing die. Then duct tape them and try one more time.

:whistling:

HKS is what I have. Can't comment on the Safariland.

10mmbob
10-20-2011, 12:33
I think most of my brass has been loaded at least 10-12 times, that's with some pretty warm loads stuffed with H-110. Haven't found a suitable speedloader for my T/C Encore yet, I will keep looking though.

Wyoming
10-24-2011, 22:10
The hotter you load them the less reloads you will get. It is not the neck splitting that will be the problem. Look for "ringing" where the web inside meets the wall. You be able to see where the brass is getting thinner. By the time you see a ring around the case you need to stop using the brass. That is the sign that you about to get head separation.

This why it is important to keep your brass separated by loading lots. If you see one going bad than it is time to scrap ALL and buy new. I use a Dillion Broader Shift bags. A thousand rounds of 44 mag reloads is heavy at first but will get lighter with use.

This information is for rounds that push pressure levels in handguns. I have 38 / 44 special brass older than me. They usually fail at the neck by splitting. This is more a cause of work harding the brass while reloading and not so much by shooting.

Maine1
10-24-2011, 22:17
With the milder loads, say a 240 lead slug at 1000fps, maybe a little warmer, 10-12X, but truthfully i kept the brass from this load in a specific can and a buddy and i shot and loaded it more times than i can count.

The HKS speedloader is the best i have found, and i have tried them all. I just did not care for the Safariland, and the Maxfire loader was a disappointment.

Hogpauls
10-25-2011, 19:55
Thanks guys, the new toy is inbounds from Bud's any day now. :supergrin:

bdhawk
10-28-2011, 20:05
my pet .44 MAG. load [i use MAG loosely] is 9.6 unique under a 250 grain, keith type, hardcast bullet. i think, if memory serves, 13.0 is max. .44 MAG . is the only brass i am very careful about rotating the 300 or so brass i have. i cannot remember ever having a split brass in 'bout 20 years.