Federal Nyclad ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal Nyclad ??

miversen30
10-20-2011, 11:45
Mas,

I have a box of (50) 9mm Federal 24 grain Nyclad hollow points. Are these comparable to current SD ammo. My choices on G19 are 115g Hornaday FTX and Federal 147g Hydra-shok? All feed well. Just want to standardize on my carry round and use the rest on the hunting lease. Thanks.

Mike I

Mas Ayoob
10-20-2011, 21:42
Mike, last I knew Federal hadn't produced the 124 grain 9mm Nyclad for many years. I doubt they still have exemplar samples at the factory, which would be necessary if you were ever in a close-range self-defense shooting in which the distance was disputed, gunshot residue testing had to be done to determine distance, and the prosecution demanded third-party verifiable samples of the ammo for testing.

In addition, you want to run a couple hundred rounds of that particular ammo through your gun before you trust any load.

I'd suggest you put the Nyclad 9mm in the ammo collection and stock up on something more modern that's still in production.

Best,
Mas

miversen30
10-20-2011, 22:16
Thank you for your reply. I got the box in a trade, so I will shoot it up on my next practice session which I am happy to say will be tomorrow. Thank you for all that you do.

Mike I

Mas Ayoob
10-20-2011, 22:29
Whoa, Mike! Before you shoot it up in practice, go on Gunbroker (etc.) and check what this old ammo is going for with cartridge collectors. There can't be that much of it left, and you might be able to sell it for enough to buy you more practice ammo or carry loads! :supergrin:
best,
Mas

miversen30
10-21-2011, 05:42
Thanks, will give it a try.

Mike I