Any Forest Service or National Park Service LE around? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Forest Service or National Park Service LE around?

Agent6-3/8
10-20-2011, 11:46
Could someone point me in the direction of more info about these jobs? I've been hitting all the obvious websites, but info is pretty limited. Seems like an awesome job for someone that loves the outdoors, though I can imagine openings are few and far between.

mixflip
10-20-2011, 11:58
I looked into it when I was kicking around the idea of moving back to California (Yosemite). The idea of being LE at Yosemite seemed cool. But the pay is insanely low for me personally.

usajobs is were I normally look since it is a gov job.

rudeboy3
10-20-2011, 11:58
Ill try and pm you in a few days when I have some more time regarding NPS.

Agent6-3/8
10-20-2011, 13:45
I looked into it when I was kicking around the idea of moving back to California (Yosemite). The idea of being LE at Yosemite seemed cool. But the pay is insanely low for me personally.

usajobs is were I normally look since it is a gov job.

I noticed on usajobs that seasonal non-LE rangers are in the upper $20K and lower $30k range. I would expect permanent LE to be higher, though. Seems like wildlife, conservation, etc get the scraps.

Thanks, rudeboy!

Kahr_Glockman
10-21-2011, 03:45
Full time NPS, is a bad ass job. I applied with them, they are the only federal agency that I would consider right now.

I got to work with those guys on a regular basis and they all know their stuff. The full timers go to FLETC in Glynco, GA. If you want to go to Yosemite or Yellowstone, that very rarely happens right off the bat. They always have openings in Philly and Boston. Those are considered "gateway" jobs with lots of turnover.

The seasonal jobs, you are requiered to have a special class, that a few colleges offer. I cant remember which ones they are. Then that allows you to work in the seasonal stuff. That gives you a leg up for a permenant gig if one comes up. With your LE experience it might give you GS-7 status and you can apply for the permenant gigs.

When I applied I didnt make the top three canidates for the positions. I really wanted it. I still think about NPS. They really do a lot of cool stuff and it is all outdoors. Where I was they were all about drug, and alien inderdiction as well as asset protection. Again those guys reall knew their stuff and I felt absolutely comfortable with them backing me up on calls.

If that is what you want to do go for it. Apply and the worst that happens is you dont get in. Its a really good gig and for most of the country the pay is pretty good. In California, Philly and Boston, not so much. Some of the most beautiful places in the world are US National Parks, if you desire to live near one or in one, this is the job for you.

<======= Hopes to one day live in Kalispell, Montana.

merlynusn
10-21-2011, 08:17
Agent, I think so too. There is one here who is a FS LEO. But yeah, I had the same thoughts on those jobs. The NPS ones you have to get their commission and if you don't live near one of the random colleges that offer it, you can't do anything. But the FS would seem to be like a regular LEO job and you just have to apply. I keep checking usajobs but no luck so far on anything popping open.

Kahr_Glockman
10-21-2011, 08:43
Agent, I think so too. There is one here who is a FS LEO. But yeah, I had the same thoughts on those jobs. The NPS ones you have to get their commission and if you don't live near one of the random colleges that offer it, you can't do anything. But the FS would seem to be like a regular LEO job and you just have to apply. I keep checking usajobs but no luck so far on anything popping open.

You only have to do the college for the seasonal jobs, the full timers go to FLETC. If you get hired for a full time gig they send you to the academy.

collim1
10-21-2011, 09:57
Wildlife and park officers are notoriously under paid. In my area it is a post retirement gig.

seagravedriver
10-21-2011, 12:16
http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/careers/

http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/careers/howtoapply.html

According to the 2011 big game hunting regulation book, (there is an add for WA Fish and Wildlife Officer), entry is $4,313 to $5,426 a month. Lateral is $5,426 a month. Most of the guys I have ran into are happy with the job and are very nice to deal with. Then again, I am a nice guy:cool:

Agent6-3/8
10-21-2011, 13:26
http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/careers/

http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/careers/howtoapply.html

According to the 2011 big game hunting regulation book, (there is an add for WA Fish and Wildlife Officer), entry is $4,313 to $5,426 a month. Lateral is $5,426 a month. Most of the guys I have ran into are happy with the job and are very nice to deal with. Then again, I am a nice guy:cool:

That salary is pretty good and $1k or $2k more than the best paid LE in WV start at.

seagravedriver
10-21-2011, 14:04
That salary is pretty good and $1k or $2k more than the best paid LE in WV start at.

The fire dept. I work for has taken, as laterals, about 6 firefighter medics from Virginia Beach Fire. Money was one of the biggest reasons. All is going well, but I have to admit, I did not realize we talked funny until a few of them filled me in on that fact. But they are all good guys and fit right in.

ranger1444
10-21-2011, 17:08
PM me with questions and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

As to the commission thing, yes, to work seasonally for the park service, you have to have the park service specific commission, that can be obtained at these "academies": http://www.anpr.org/academies.htm.

Chances are slim (from what I know) that a person would be picked up for a permanent job without going through one of these, but that's not to say that it can't happen. Most people work a few seasons at parks, and then start applying for permanent jobs, usually at parks they have work at previously, or as stated, one of the "Gateway" parks.

The route I took was: put myself through academy, apply for seasonal and permanent jobs (not thinking I would get a permanent job without any prior LE experience, just to apply and maybe get the interview experience), and ended up being offered a summer seasonal job at 3 different parks. Accepted one of those, was called for a permanent job interview a few days before starting the seasonal job, and was picked up for the permanent job.

merlynusn
10-22-2011, 10:02
Yeah I actually applied for one of the permanent jobs and was told that since I didn't have a Type I or Type II commission I was ineligible. The ones now state as a qualification that you have the Type II commission already and be eligible for a Type I.

ClydeG19
10-22-2011, 10:19
Maryland Dept of Natural Resources is accepting apps for officers if you're open a regional relocation. Starting pay is listed in the low 40's, but with prior experience I'm sure you'd be bumped some.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/

jwhite75
10-22-2011, 23:23
My next door neighbor is a LE Ranger for NPS. You know where I live and should know where he works. They all have pretty nice patrol rides and nice uniforms with Sig Sauers hanging on their wastes. He is specialized. He works as a "river ranger". Rides up and down the river patrolling. Not all of them do though. NPS has a lot of jursidiction and purview. Think its probably a decent gig.

fuzzyduck
10-23-2011, 00:13
natural resources LE is not a bad gig. It is pretty fun, but you do have to deal with politics and some pretty leftist types of people who seem to disdain law enforcement. But worth it to me.

In the FS, the jobs are fairly limited in numbers (total sworn less than many major metro areas) nationwide.

Not too sure about the Park Service, but I hear that the FT jobs are pretty coveted.

As for openings, USAjobs is all that I can think of. Look often.

Kahr, dont want to live in Kalispell. Want to live outside of but NEAR Kalispell.

Agent6-3/8
10-23-2011, 21:25
My next door neighbor is a LE Ranger for NPS. You know where I live and should know where he works. They all have pretty nice patrol rides and nice uniforms with Sig Sauers hanging on their wastes. He is specialized. He works as a "river ranger". Rides up and down the river patrolling. Not all of them do though. NPS has a lot of jursidiction and purview. Think its probably a decent gig.

I can imagine he has a pretty sweet beat! Bet he was busy for Bridge Day!

I think my dream job would be with with the Forest Service up in the Monongahela National Forest. I love that part of the state! On a side note, WV DNR is hiring, but their starting pay is about $10k less than the WVSP... Couldn't even afford to live on beenie weenies with that salary!:wow: