Store security and handcuffs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Store security and handcuffs

Dalton Wayne
10-20-2011, 19:37
Does store security carry handcuffs to detain shoplifters?

CJStudent
10-20-2011, 19:50
Depends on the state. In KY, yes.

ETA: Also the company's policy. Target's uniformed security regularly does, and some from the various shopping malls, but others don't. When I worked at the now-closed Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, Loss Prevention carried cuffs and OC spray. The funny part is, uniformed security carried neither, except supervisors, who carried cuffs.

collim1
10-20-2011, 19:57
In Alabama the law states that a store keeper has the right to arrest for shoplifting. When the police come and take the person to jail, they are transporting for the store keeper, it is the store that is arresting.

Caustic Mopar
10-20-2011, 20:43
I know for a fact that Home Depot does(used to do LP for them). seldom used but trained and certified to use them according to FBI standards

blueiron
10-20-2011, 21:28
Arizona has a store detention clause in its shoplifting law, so every store security agent I have ever run across has handcuffs. If they don't, they are really little more than courtesy clerks.

Other States are always different, so this may not apply.

danielspdx
10-20-2011, 21:30
The law allows it here, but if the thief is cooperative they generally don't get cuffed. I don't like it. If I walk in the LP room and the thief is not cuffed, I cuff them immediately.

AngryBassets
10-20-2011, 21:56
The law allows it here, but if the thief is cooperative they generally don't get cuffed. I don't like it. If I walk in the LP room and the thief is not cuffed, I cuff them immediately.

This, for NJ.