bushmaster question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bushmaster question

jellis11
10-20-2011, 20:42
Years ago, maybe around six(?), I got a pretty awesome deal on a Bushmaster Patrolman carbine. I have shot thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all other than maybe a fte? But that was after shooting hundreds of old dirty wolf, bottom of the barrel. *so i trust it in that since* but I have by no means gone through an intense class where i would put it to the test with thousands of rounds in one session. Shot it in the rain, snow, heat, everything... What I'm getting to... I see Bushy bashing all the time. I have never, personally, had a problem that I can remember to worry about reliability. I am wanting to start putting some money into it (an) AR. More specifically, would you guys set your eyes on building a completely new AR or would you change out the internals and keep the upper and lower, or?

lol kinda long, sorry. Not usually one to ask others what to do with my own money but I hope some of you see where I'm coming from. :wavey:

thanks kids!

Glockdude1
10-20-2011, 21:01
Years ago, maybe around six(?), I got a pretty awesome deal on a Bushmaster Patrolman carbine. I have shot thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all other than maybe a fte? But that was after shooting hundreds of old dirty wolf, bottom of the barrel. *so i trust it in that since* but I have by no means gone through an intense class where i would put it to the test with thousands of rounds in one session. Shot it in the rain, snow, heat, everything... What I'm getting to... I see Bushy bashing all the time. I have never, personally, had a problem that I can remember to worry about reliability. I am wanting to start putting some money into it (an) AR. More specifically, would you guys set your eyes on building a completely new AR or would you change out the internals and keep the upper and lower, or?

lol kinda long, sorry. Not usually one to ask others what to do with my own money but I hope some of you see where I'm coming from. :wavey:

thanks kids!

:agree:

I love my Bushy as well. The only Bushmaster hating you hear about is only on the internet.

http://i56.tinypic.com/muvp5k.jpg

:cool:

Bushflyr
10-20-2011, 21:15
I am wanting to start putting some money into it (an) AR. More specifically, would you guys set your eyes on building a completely new AR or would you change out the internals and keep the upper and lower, or?

Why do you want to "put money into it?" It runs reliably and I assume you're satisfied with its accuracy. Keep it and run it. Don't fall into the "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is" trap.

Minnow
10-20-2011, 23:02
I have two Patrolman Carbines from 2004 & 2005, and they both have been solid. Round count on both is in the thousands.

mvician
10-21-2011, 00:55
I'd pick up a new hp/mp tested bolt along with the other BCG pieces to keep as spares. Or pick up the whole BCG and keep your old one as a spare. Other than a new recoil spring and a H or H2 buffer I'd leave everything else alone.

Keep the chamber clean and give it plenty of lube. :cool:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/WarPig/P1150320.jpg

MrMurphy
10-21-2011, 02:39
Bushmasters 'can' be good and the older ones generally run fine. But during the big AR craze QC did drop noticeably in some manufacturers.

If it's been running fine, acquire some spare parts, maybe a 2nd BCG.

If you choose to get a new rifle, look at a major quality maker (Colt, BCM, Noveske, LaRue, DD, etc) as those would be an upgrade from your current rifle.

pag23
10-22-2011, 17:07
I'd pick up a new hp/mp tested bolt along with the other BCG pieces to keep as spares. Or pick up the whole BCG and keep your old one as a spare. Other than a new recoil spring and a H or H2 buffer I'd leave everything else alone.

Keep the chamber clean and give it plenty of lube. :cool:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/WarPig/P1150320.jpg

Love the Bushmaster "snakeskin" camo application!! I have a newer style Carbon 15 and it works for me with no complaints, but I would recommend a quality MP/HPT BCG assembly and an H or H2 buffer.

DEADEYEGUY
10-27-2011, 18:10
I have had a Bushy AK Shorty for many years. It has never failed me in all these years. I guess it's changed but people used to recommnd if you wer going to buy an AR it should be A (Armalite), B (Bushmaster), or C (Colt). Lots of new and very good manufacturers out there. Lots not. But unless something has really gone wrong Bushmasters have been good guns.

COLOSHOOTR
10-27-2011, 18:29
It's true that the great majority of Bushmaster users do not have any issues and they work just fine for what most people use them for. That being said there is a reason for all the Bushmaster bashing. BM's do tend to fail at a higher rate in high round count carbine classes due to poor quality control and some sub-par parts. Replacing those parts will then make your BM a perfectly reliable rifle that is likely to survive a hard use carbine class.

The parts that should be replaced are the BCG that properly staked and is MPI and a MPI Bolt w/ black insert. Add an H2 buffer and you should be good to go.

AK_Stick
10-27-2011, 18:34
I have one bush-hampster gun, and I've had one other.

Both work fine, though so much of the current one has been replaced over the years, other than the bolt and FCG, its pretty much no longer a bushie..... Still works though never had a real issue with it that I didn't cause (long periods with no lube and no cleaning)

conch27
10-27-2011, 18:39
I have a end run Bushy from Maine. It has been great. Only problem I had was a single steel round jammed. Not going to put that on the rifle since I got it cleared at my local guy and he had six with a the same steel herters ammo. No more steel for me and it has been again flawless. I have 7000 rounds now through it. I put some money into it with a quad rail, optic, flip up sights, stock, and a few more other things.