Burger for a cop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Burger for a cop

WilyCoyote
10-21-2011, 04:14
We all gotta eat...sometimes on the run, but I have a serious aversion to oredering fast food in uniform. To the point I will go hungry. I stick by a philosophy of NEVER eating anything from a restaurant in uniform unless I can watch them make it. Some people I work with just bite the bullet and get drive through stuff anyway, knowing the risk of the "burger for a cop."

For those of you that don't take a lunch or your own coffee to work, are you the same way? What have you experienced or what stories have you heard that have affected how you eat on the job?

I remember once, I went through the Starbucks drivethrough and when I pulled up to the window, I saw the two teenager baristas giggling at each other while holding my drink. One of them asks the other, before they noticed I was there, "Did you do it?" to which the other one nods. They see me and both morph into serious mode. I get handed my drink as the teenager is failing at holding back a snicker. Suffice to say, I didn't drink that coffee and that Starbucks lost my $5 a day coffee habit.

Anyone else care to share?

eracer
10-21-2011, 04:39
Some grocery chains have delis in their stores that can quickly make a good tasting, reasonable healthy 6" sub for about the same price as a Big Mac.

I'm not a cop, but I don't bring lunch to work, and we don't have a kitchen at the office. I don't want to eat a sub every day, but once or twice a week it's a cheap, tasty lunch choice.

Plus, you get to watch them make the sandwich in front of you. Subway is a good choice for that reason as well, although their offerings aren't as good as the local deli's.

cowboywannabe
10-21-2011, 05:43
if you dont have time to watch them make it at Subway, get a refrigerator samich from a gas station.

other than that you pays yo money and you takes yo chances.

Hack
10-21-2011, 07:14
Around here government employees are plentiful, and I work in a military and prison town. For them to do that here can bring on some serious retribution to the business concerned with, as they know the greatest proportion of their business comes from us. Otherwise I like to see them make it, or at least watch them spoon it on to my plate.

Agent6-3/8
10-21-2011, 07:15
I always prefer to pack my lunch or just munch on Chex Mix between calls. A lot of gusy liked to meet up and eat somewhere. Luckily, we had several "safe" restaurants that were owned by family members of some of our guys or close friends.

Sampo
10-21-2011, 07:29
Sub places, some 5 Guys, Moe's... I've found some Hibachi places that'll cook to order right in front as you wait... Good luck.

collim1
10-21-2011, 07:43
Very few places I will eat outside of the house in uniform.

A retired jailer works at the local Waffle House as a cook now. I will eat there when he is working. Other than that I will go by the house and grab something. I live in my jurisdiction, so I am lucky to be able to get to the house If I am hungry.

nikerret
10-21-2011, 07:51
Midnights around here leave little choices. I used to go home and cook food-nothing gaurantees a bad call like having a meal half-cooked on the stove. Returning home and throwing the food away while still being hungry sucks.

I just check my food and hope for the best. All the guys on my shift hit the fast food joins. Most of the PD guys do, too.

nitesite10mm
10-21-2011, 07:54
The refrigerated deli cooler of Wal-Mart has footlong subs in several varieties. They are actually longer than a foot, have TWICE the amount of meat in them compared to Subway, and are made in the store and then wrapped in clingwrap. And they only cost about $5.50. I've tried them a few times and they're so huge they are really two meals so that makes them inexpensive and "cop-safe".

I once walked in (in uniform) and ordered and pre-paid a pizza from a joint and arranged to pick it up in 30-minutes. WTF was I thinking????????????? Oh, well. It didn't kill me.

About 80% of the time I bring my own leftovers from home and slip into the station to heat them up when I get hungry. At 3-AM there's not much going on.....

AZLawDawg
10-21-2011, 09:27
Either Subway, Chipotle or this nearby Deli. Other than that, there are a few trusted places. One place out here is owned by the family of a fallen Officer from my agency, I trust that place 100 percent.

collim1
10-21-2011, 09:55
The refrigerated deli cooler of Wal-Mart has footlong subs in several varieties. They are actually longer than a foot, have TWICE the amount of meat in them compared to Subway, and are made in the store and then wrapped in clingwrap. And they only cost about $5.50. I've tried them a few times and they're so huge they are really two meals so that makes them inexpensive and "cop-safe".

I once walked in (in uniform) and ordered and pre-paid a pizza from a joint and arranged to pick it up in 30-minutes. WTF was I thinking????????????? Oh, well. It didn't kill me.

About 80% of the time I bring my own leftovers from home and slip into the station to heat them up when I get hungry. At 3-AM there's not much going on.....

Another good thing is to phone in your order and pick it. They cant put poo in your food if they dont know its for police.

em2b96p
10-21-2011, 10:03
Im not a LEO but I agree. The only place I would eat would be at a restaurant that is staffed by the family. Kinda like pizza shops where the mom and dad make the food and the kids run the register.

Ive heard of stories where a kid put pubic hairs in a burger because the cop wrote him a speeding ticket in the past.

lwt210
10-21-2011, 10:56
I don't risk it when in uniform. I will get a Chick fil A salad about once a week and that is pre-made. I go randomly enough so that I don't have a pattern so that they can pre-make one especially for me.

Other than that, I stick with popcorn, fruit, packs of peanuts....things like that. Subway salads are do-able as well.

There used to be this small Chinese joint where the owner knew me well. She would accomodate my low carb diet and give me extra veggies instead of rice. She closed down and moved to a neighbor city. She was my go-to place when a snack or salad just wouldn't cut it. :crying:

Ajon412
10-21-2011, 11:34
One word..Pizza...I watch the guys behind the counter take my order, put the slices in the oven, take them out of the oven and into a box.....Same thing for "DD"...Even using the drive thru after hours, I can still see them preparing my beverage....Most of the guys I work with patronize the same LEO friendly establishments after checking with the local guys first...

There was an incident in the Bronx (NYC) a few years ago when a copper from the local precinct used the drive up at a Micky "D's". Turns out the POS / perp employee put ground glass in his hamburger. As you might guess, the copper suffered severe injuries, the employee got "collared" and Micky "D's" paid a hefty settlement to the injured copper...

ateamer
10-21-2011, 13:26
Don't eat fast food in the first place. Bring food from home like sandwiches made with good quality meat, fruit and nuts. Stuff you can eat while on the go, not have to stand in line for and never wonder if there is spit in it.

Unless your wife made your lunch and you've done something to piss her off.

Or is saying "wife" and "you've done something to piss her off" redundant?

rdrkt
10-21-2011, 14:29
When I was still in the academy we would walk foot in high crime areas with an instructor every other Saturday. One of the first weekends we did it we stopped at a Wendys. I go to place my order the cashier says I don't serve cops turned off the register and walked away. 6yrs later I still haven't gone back to that place.

seagravedriver
10-21-2011, 14:50
I remember the first arrest I ever made as a reserve way back when... Then I found him a week later as a cook at a restaurant frequented by that local PD I was a reserve with. I stuck with coffee.

Metro566
10-21-2011, 16:16
Bring my lunch...we have a break room and some substations.

I will only eat out at places I can directly observe them prepare my meal; no if's and's or but's. I will stop at a gas station and buy a bag of almonds before I ever take a gamble on food...however in the past 8 months I think I've had a total of 2 orders from fast food (on or off duty)...I just stopped eating fast food.

Aries4570
10-21-2011, 18:42
There are only two places in town that I won't go through the drive through in uniform. There is only one place in town that I will go into and order. Our local Greek place. He loves cops and our stories. I love the Gyros so it works out well. The only problem I have is he tries to give us a discount so I wind up putting the extra in the tip jar.

Electrikkoolaid
10-21-2011, 19:15
For them to do that here can bring on some serious retribution to the business concerned with, as they know the greatest proportion of their business comes from us.

But the teenage punk (or ex-con) working in the kitchen could care less about the long-term financial health of the restaurant. They just act on impulse to "stick it to the pig".

RVER
10-21-2011, 19:44
1st choice: Bring a sandwhich from home in a small zip lock bag so that I can eat it in the car and not have to touch it, along with a couple 1/2 cup Rubber Maid containers with fruit, nuts, cheese. This way I don't have to touch anything.

2nd choice: Subway, or any deli where I can watch my food being made.

3rd choice: An all you can eat buffet with a good reputation.

That be it boys... and I'm plain clothes these days. When I was in uniform (many years ago) it was either choice 1 or 2.

Stay safe!

JBaird22
10-21-2011, 23:51
Since I am on a diet, I just eat whatever I bring from home. By in large that is what I do but Subway is cop friendly in my AO so I go there.

Hack
10-22-2011, 08:47
But the teenage punk (or ex-con) working in the kitchen could care less about the long-term financial health of the restaurant. They just act on impulse to "stick it to the pig".

We don't really have a problem with that here. Now, in KC a person possibly would in certain areas. Quick Trip is a good stand by in some places in KC, (convenience store chain).

I also know some of the former inmates who stick around here. They and I did not have any real problems. You gain respect by how you handle yourself with a lot of the inmates if you are fair with how you handle things, so basically you can eat in the officers mess at work and be safe, usually. If he goes and does that kind of nonsense inside the walls even a lot of the inmates will get him locked up. Also, they are watched carefully before being assigned to OM duties.

We tend to have different caliber of jail bird. By the time they get to my joint they are institutionalized, or if they are first timers there then they are usually self surrenders. Not a problem with most of them. In fact most of the ones in segregation are PCs because of their crimes, (chomos and what have you). Others are usually there for some petty stuff, and get adjusted through the disciplinary processes. Some of the ones we have are ex LEO. No problems from them. They normally realized they have messed up and are fairly well behaved. We have very few who have problems with staff here, but of course there are always those few. The only time there are generally any real problems is usually between inmates.

vanilla_gorilla
10-23-2011, 09:21
On dayshift, there's a restaurant just outside of town that's good to go. Nights, we have Subway and not much else in town at all. Even Subway closes early, so most bring theirs from home.

dp509
10-23-2011, 10:02
We had two detectives from the local big city come in to interview a prisoner at the county jail.

Afterwards, they went through the drive through at McDonalds.

They were on the way home, when one said to the other, my sandwich tastes funny. How about yours :dunno:.

They turned on the dome light and discovered blood on the sandwich. :wow:

I met them at the store.

The manager offered him another sandwich, for free of course. :embarassed:

He filed a report and sued them.

The sandwich maker was one of our local ****heads.

The officer had to have his blood tested every six months.

He got a big payout :cool:

But, I do not think it was worth it :steamed:

Wil Ufgood
10-23-2011, 10:07
We had two detectives from the local big city come in to interview a prisoner at the county jail.

They were on the way home, when one said to the other, my sandwich tastes funny. How about yours :dunno:.

I met them at the store.

:shocked: i've been spit on, bitten, etc. but that would really freak me out!

fx77
10-23-2011, 10:08
Never buy non sealed factory fresh food.
Only brown bag my lunches forever...it is cheaper, I eat what I want, and I know where the hands have been that make my lunch. Buy a soda or an iced tea in a sealed bottle, carton...only

Magicmanmb
10-23-2011, 13:11
We had 2 places that were 100% safe. 1 was the pool hall next to the court house because all the judges and lawyers ate lunch. The other is owned by a retired paramedic, & his kids help him.

Wife went out with her parents after church today to the local "Waffle House"

found meal worms on her plate from a BLT. bugs in the tea cup also. They fixed her a new plate and comped the meal. They just got up tipped the waitress & left.

ray9898
10-23-2011, 15:52
I really try not to think about it and eat what is made in front of me when possible.

ropin4gold
10-23-2011, 19:50
We have several "Chicago Gyros" places that make the food in front of you. Also Subway, Moes, Quiznos, and some small pizza places that sell it by the slice. I feel pretty safe eating there.

Ribbler
10-24-2011, 02:05
Its shameful and disgusting that you guys even have to worry about your food when eating out.

collim1
10-24-2011, 03:42

I met them at the store.

No criminal charges?

Pretty sure our judge would give out a 1yr jail sentence on a misdemeanor assault charge in that case. I think its a shame that I have heard you can only get a felony in that case if an actual disease was transmitted.

Bullman
10-24-2011, 04:16
We try to stay at a place that we haven't busted anyone recently but that can be hard to do. Seems like the restaurant biz is the place where all the dopers work. We have one McDs it seems like it is a prerequisite that you use dope to work there.

Other than that, we have had foodservice people coming through book in that have said they can't wait to see us in the restaurant next time, you just end up avoiding that place for a while, or try and remember what they drive so you can go somewhere else if they are working. The phone in carry out pizza thing works pretty well for us too and we do that quite a bit.

Panzergrenadier1979
10-24-2011, 07:25
There is a Chick-fil-A in town that is very LE friendly. All of the kids who work there are well dressed, polite, and respectful and all of the managers know most of the daylight officers by name. The owner is a great guy who attends the same church as my family and we've worked a couple harassment & theft cases for him. I am very confident when I eat there.

Still, I watch to make sure that my sandwich is picked-up from the stack of pre-made ones and dropped directly onto my tray or into my to-go bag; I never used the drive-thru, ever.

As for sit-down restaurants: Over time I have arrested, or been present during the arrest of, employees of most of the decent sit-down joints in the area. These are the restaurants that I would take my wife too on a date-night. One-by-one I'm having to check some of our favorite places off the list because I've pissed off a cook or a server.

oldgraywolf
10-24-2011, 07:56
Other than that, we have had foodservice people coming through book in that have said they can't wait to see us in the restaurant next time

Ask them how they'd like their food effed with, now that it's under _your_ control.

I totally agree with Ribbler above, too.

<-----NAC

Hack
10-24-2011, 09:40
Its shameful and disgusting that you guys even have to worry about your food when eating out.

Yeah, it is. That's why when I am out of town on the job I stick to the places that we know that are OK. In town even though there are not as likely to be these kinds of incidents I am still careful. I do know my convenience stores, and hospital food is OK to eat.

MeefZah
10-25-2011, 07:40
No criminal charges?

Pretty sure our judge would give out a 1yr jail sentence on a misdemeanor assault charge in that case. I think its a shame that I have heard you can only get a felony in that case if an actual disease was transmitted.

Adulteration of a food source / public food source, or some such thing. It's a felony here.

I don't like to use the drive thru when I'm working, but mainly because I want to get out of the car and move around, and it's a free foot patrol on my log and a chance to talk to people.

As far as food adulteration goes, I don't want to eat some gangbanger's pubes on my sandwich, but honestly, if I do, it probably ain't gonna kill me. Life will go on. I'm sure that along the way I've chowed down on some nasty **** that someone put in my food and never even knew it.

That said, I usually go to Subway because I like and trust the girls there, and I can see it made, and it's healthier.

Indy_Guy_77
10-28-2011, 07:07
The good thing about ingesting something "bad"...is that you're ingesting it.

Crap that causes problems via other vectors RARELY causes issues if you ingest it.

yes, it's still absolutely disgusting and I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

-J-

Magicmanmb
10-28-2011, 08:06
The good thing about ingesting something "bad"...is that you're ingesting it.

Crap that causes problems via other vectors RARELY causes issues if you ingest it.

yes, it's still absolutely disgusting and I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

One of my 1st wifes teenage jobs was working at the Taco Bell close to High School Road (if it's still there) if 1% of the stuff she told me about what they did was true you'd never eat again. Picking noses while making the food, after the meat was reheated in water with body fluids. I have never eaten at a Taco Bell since. If I can't see it being made or make it myself it doesn't go in the mouth.

Pepper45
10-28-2011, 14:36
We brought this up when we were designing our new PD. They designed the lunch room with a full kitchen, and great fridge space. Some of us shop for work like we shop for home, and it winds up being much healthier than eating out.

Hack
10-28-2011, 16:05
We brought this up when we were designing our new PD. They designed the lunch room with a full kitchen, and great fridge space. Some of us shop for work like we shop for home, and it winds up being much healthier than eating out.

Now, I am jealous. Well, we at least have microwave ovens, fridges, coffee makers, (coffee makers are on our own dimes).

Caustic Mopar
10-28-2011, 21:48
I cant believe no one has said this yet!

I want LITER of Cola?

Hack
10-28-2011, 22:21
I cant believe no one has said this yet!

I want LITER of Cola?

Or, a large Farva.:supergrin:

larry_minn
10-28-2011, 22:51
Whenever I see/hear talk in this area I recall a gent. Jesse Jackson who claims to be a Rev. Talk about how he spit,put other stuff in food of "white People" when he worked food service. Thing is he was NOT apoligizing for it.

Hack
10-28-2011, 23:01
Whenever I see/hear talk in this area I recall a gent. Jesse Jackson who claims to be a Rev. Talk about how he spit,put other stuff in food of "white People" when he worked food service. Thing is he was NOT apoligizing for it.

That is one thing I didn't hear about.

Bullman
10-29-2011, 06:46

Damn burger punk:supergrin: