Sizing cast bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sizing cast bullets

Getready4it
10-21-2011, 06:09
I've been reloading for a little while now and have only loaded jacketed or plated bullets. My question is do cast bullets have to be sized in order to load and shoot them? Specifically I have some cast bullets .45acp and .38spl on the way from Georgia Arms and would like to know if these bullets will need further sizing for me to load and shoot them safely and accurately. Thanks in advance for your help.

PCJim
10-21-2011, 09:18
They will not need resizing, unless you have a grossly out of spec undersized barrel diameter in the intended firearm.

fredj338
10-21-2011, 09:38
COmmercial cast come sized & lubed. Bulelt size is important. You need to match the bullet to the groove dia &/or cyl throat dia for best results, then add 0.001". Bigger bullets often shoot better & lead less than smaller bullets.

Maine1
10-22-2011, 01:32
I size mine, so they can be used in about any firearm of the given caliber. It eliminates the few jams i had when i did not size, so i think its worth it for reliability.

fredj338
10-22-2011, 01:34
I size mine, so they can be used in about any firearm of the given caliber. It eliminates the few jams i had when i did not size, so i think its worth it for reliability.

Many guys shoot as cast size bullets, I am not one of them. Like you, I prefer to size them all to the same dia, that way an offending round is mor easily sorted out. I shoot mixed brass 95% of the time, so that is important to me.

norton
10-22-2011, 09:59
I have tried shooting as cast bullets, but with my Lee molds, some of them throw pretty consistently, some don't. I prefer to size with the Lee sizer die. Just adds and extra step to the reloading process, I get consistent bullet sizes that way and I think more reliable consistent results.

fredj338
10-22-2011, 10:04
I have tried shooting as cast bullets, but with my Lee molds, some of them throw pretty consistently, some don't. I prefer to size with the Lee sizer die. Just adds and extra step to the reloading process, I get consistent bullet sizes that way and I think more reliable consistent results.

Actually any mold will throw diff sized bullets unless you can keep the alloy & mold within say 50deg constant temp, pretty hard to do. Alloy also matters. Unless your alloy is identical every cast, the bullet size will vary. SO sizing offers the best bet for consistant bullets.:wavey: