XFCE Desktop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XFCE Desktop

Linux3
10-21-2011, 07:14
I don't like KDE 4.X and switched to Gnome kicking and screaming.
Gnome 3.X is the pits IMHO.
Unity...... Shudder to think.

I installed XFCE and I like it!
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/07/installing-and-using-xfce-4/
It's a light weight, or maybe middle weight would be better, desktop that just gets out of the way and lets you get things done.

If you like the rotating cube and plasmoids and an animated background then it's not for you but if you switch windows a lot and use a terminal and like getting down in the bowels of the machine, have a look.

Last night at our LUG we had a discussion of XFCE vs. LXDE vs. Unity.
Gotta love an OS with choice.

captainstormy
10-21-2011, 08:39
I've been a Gnome user since shortly after first getting into Linux in 2003ish.

I can't stand Gnome 3 though. Tried switching to KDE 4, but that just reminded me why I was a gnome user.

I kinda like XFCE. I will say that it is a bit of a step down from Gnome 2, but largely better then Gnome 3.

GIockGuy24
10-21-2011, 09:47
I've used XFCE since it came out. It originally had a live Knoppix CD to promote it. I had an old PC that didn't have enough memory to run KDE in Knoppix but the original XFCE CD ran great. Not long ago there was bug that caused one version of XFCE to conflict with one version of the Linux kernel. Knoppix now uses LXDE.

IndyGunFreak
10-21-2011, 11:20
I've always been a Gnome guy, till Gnome 3. Man, talk about a total mess. I have never liked KDE.

XFCE, I like.. but IMO, XFCE 4, isn't much "lighter" than the current versions of Gnome and KDE. It just feels very bloated to me. I think part of that though, might be just Xubuntu, and general Ubuntu bloat. I've generally been happy w/ XFCE on Fedora and Debian. I really liked XFCE 3.

That said, I'm 100% sold on LXDE. It has a sexy simplicity to it that I just love. If there was one thing I don't particularly care for, it's pcmanfm(the file manager).... It's not bad, but it could be better.

IGF

GIockGuy24
10-21-2011, 11:35
XFCE is still much lighter on resources than Gnome or KDE. Gnome has been tweaked to make the reactions on screen seem faster than they used to be but a check of resource usage shows XFCE uses much less. Fedora usually runs faster Ubuntu as the kernel is pretty stripped down out of the box where Ubuntu tends to pile on as much as possible to make system changes easier.

trashcat
10-21-2011, 11:36
When fedora 15 came out I tried to give it a try and use Gnome3. That lasted two days then I switched to xfce and I'm happy with it. I wish enlightenment .17 would hurry op and get more usable I always loved e16.

IndyGunFreak
10-21-2011, 12:16
When fedora 15 came out I tried to give it a try and use Gnome3. That lasted two days then I switched to xfce and I'm happy with it. I wish enlightenment .17 would hurry op and get more usable I always loved e16.

You should check out Fedora's LXDE spin... They hit a home run when I tried it. Typical Fedora release. Stable and well thought out.

If I was a Fedora feller (I prefer Debian)... I'd use it. Debians LXDE version isn't to bad either, and Lubuntu(LXDE Ubuntu) is also pretty good.

Linux3
10-21-2011, 20:44
In some ways the basic install of XFCE is stupid.
Click the start > Settings > Window Manager
Select 'Focus'
'Delay before window receives focus'
Set that to as short a time as you can. The default setting makes mousing between windows really slow down.

LXDE is nice but maybe a little too light weight for my tastes.

But ain't it cool that we get to chose a desktop rather than just having to use someone's idea of what we should use.

IndyGunFreak
10-22-2011, 05:10
But ain't it cool that we get to chose a desktop rather than just having to use someone's idea of what we should use.

Exactly... and if you don't like the ones available, and you're so inclined to learn... you can write one that is specific to your needs... :)

LukeDuke
10-23-2011, 20:06
You should check out Fedora's LXDE spin... They hit a home run when I tried it. Typical Fedora release. Stable and well thought out.

+1. I am posting from F15 LXDE right now, and I love it. I tried to make myself like Gnome 3, but I just could not quite get there. I gave LXDE a shot and am glad that I did. I will be using it, quite happily, well into the foreseeable future.

Detectorist
10-24-2011, 00:19
Just install Windows 7 and be done with it.

:rofl:

IndyGunFreak
10-24-2011, 00:49
Just install Windows 7 and be done with it.

:rofl:

Yeah, then you can use a GUI that a corporate bigwig tells you is best, whether you like it or not.. ;)

Linux3
10-24-2011, 09:56
Yeah, then you can use a GUI that a corporate bigwig tells you is best, whether you like it or not.. ;)
Well said.
Linux is always about choice.

sappy13
10-24-2011, 17:39
I have always loved gnome 2, can't stand the new gnome 3 or shell. Kde was never that impressive either. Totall hate unity. I dont mind lxde for a lightweight system build, but I'll stick with regular gnome for a long time prolly

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engines

GenX
10-24-2011, 19:22
Well, unity isn't for me either. Ended up reinstalling 11.04 on two machines and boot to ubuntu classic. Thats gnome 2, right? Whatever, it boots fast and shuts down fast. Tried lubuntu and xubuntu, but for some reason sound didn't want to work.

IndyGunFreak
10-24-2011, 19:33
Well, unity isn't for me either. Ended up reinstalling 11.04 on two machines and boot to ubuntu classic. Thats gnome 2, right? Whatever, it boots fast and shuts down fast. Tried lubuntu and xubuntu, but for some reason sound didn't want to work.

I've had probs w/ sound on my Laptop with Lubuntu, because it doesn't install Pulse Audio by default... Once I installed pulse audio and pavucontrol, and made necessary adjustments, it worked fine.

Linux3
10-24-2011, 22:09
I just do the regular Ubuntu install then;
sudo apt-get install xfce-desktop xfce-utilities xfce-extras

Unity is still installed so I can sneer at it. lol

lanternlad
10-25-2011, 05:03
I like Unity, personally.

Linux never seemed to be "ready for prime time" before Unity came along. It's a nice, simple desktop that anyone can use. If Linux wants to get a bigger market share, it needs to be simple enough for the non-computer savvy masses to use. Unity accomplishes this. With Unity, Linux finally takes its place between Windows and OSX. No more pulling your hair out dealing with stupid DRMs issues, bad drivers, viruses and malware with Windows, and no need to pay the Apple Tax to get a functional UNIX variant with OSX.

GenX
10-25-2011, 05:57
If the masses want a bloated, resource hogging os, then they hit it out of the park with unity.

Linux never seemed to be "ready for prime" before Unity came along. It's a nice, simple desktop that anyone can use. If Linux wants to get a bigger market share, it needs to be simple enough for the non-computer savvy masses to use. Unity accomplishes this. With Unity, Linux finally takes its place between Windows and OSX. No more pulling your hair out dealing with stupid DRMs issues, bad drivers, viruses and malware with Windows, and no need to pay the Apple Tax to get a functional UNIX variant with OSX.

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2011, 06:05

Linux never seemed to be "ready for prime time" before Unity came along. It's a nice, simple desktop that anyone can use. If Linux wants to get a bigger market share, it needs to be simple enough for the non-computer savvy masses to use. Unity accomplishes this. With Unity, Linux finally takes its place between Windows and OSX. No more pulling your hair out dealing with stupid DRMs issues, bad drivers, viruses and malware with Windows, and no need to pay the Apple Tax to get a functional UNIX variant with OSX.

Even if Unity wasn't more bloated than Rosie O' Donnell, I still wouldn't use it. I guess it's a matter of what is "usable" I don't consider Unity usable. It's down right annoyingly hideous. If you like that 'Control Panel' OS, I guess it would appeal to you.

I'm not really sure what could have been more simple than Gnome 2.x... You had an "Applications Menu" where you launched Applications, a "Places" menu, where you could go to various folders/network places, and a "System" menu, to set preferences and use administration tools. I spend a lot of time in Linux support channels, and most folks have serious issues w/ Unity, and it's caused a lot of users to migrate to either Xubuntu or Lubuntu (since KDE4 isn't any better). Unity strives to be like Gnome 3, and it done a great job of that.. they both suck.

Like was said above though, fortunately, we are not saddled with one choice.

IGF

Chronos
10-27-2011, 02:35
I gave myself 6 months to try to come to terms with Gnome 3.0, on Fedora 15. Recently tried out the Fedora 16 beta with Gnome 3.2. Also tried Ubuntu/Unity and KDE 4 as a possible escape route.

All fail. I honestly don't know what happened to the developers. It's like they all suddenly, overnight, started designing interfaces for chimps.

Since Gnome appears to be going nowhere fast, I finally bit the bullet and looked into XFCE, LXDE, and fluxbox -- now pretty much sold on my LXDE/Fedora combination. I get the same generally smug, happy feeling I had with Gnome 2. Light, quick, powerful, clear, with nothing getting in the way.

One minor complaint is that it doesn't have a simple GUI way to edit the main menu, but I can do it the hard way for the time being, as I'm sure it's a feature that is "coming soon."

IndyGunFreak
10-27-2011, 05:07
One minor complaint is that it doesn't have a simple GUI way to edit the main menu, but I can do it the hard way for the time being, as I'm sure it's a feature that is "coming soon."

That's been my one complaint as well. This really should be a feature in any OS... editing a configuration file to edit your menu, is ridiculous.

It'll happen eventually, especially as LXDE gets more popular.

captainstormy
10-27-2011, 09:37
That's been my one complaint as well. This really should be a feature in any OS... editing a configuration file to edit your menu, is ridiculous.

It'll happen eventually, especially as LXDE gets more popular.

Yea, thats why I say XFCE is a step back from Gnome 2, but a huge step up from Gnome 3.

I've been trying to force myself to use Gnome 3 but I just can't stand it. I'll probably wait until Mint 12 comes out, then use it after installing XFCE.

lanternlad
10-27-2011, 13:39
Even if Unity wasn't more bloated than Rosie O' Donnell, I still wouldn't use it. I guess it's a matter of what is "usable" I don't consider Unity usable. It's down right annoyingly hideous. If you like that 'Control Panel' OS, I guess it would appeal to you.

I'm not really sure what could have been more simple than Gnome 2.x... You had an "Applications Menu" where you launched Applications, a "Places" menu, where you could go to various folders/network places, and a "System" menu, to set preferences and use administration tools. I spend a lot of time in Linux support channels, and most folks have serious issues w/ Unity, and it's caused a lot of users to migrate to either Xubuntu or Lubuntu (since KDE4 isn't any better). Unity strives to be like Gnome 3, and it done a great job of that.. they both suck.

Like was said above though, fortunately, we are not saddled with one choice.

IGF

Unity is a great thing for the masses, and will help increase Linux market share. A friend of mine is a database admin, Masters in I.T., very computer savvy. However, he is the ONLY one in his family that is. His wife has almost no computer skills other than being able to use one, and he was tired of always having to repair her Windows laptop. Out of pure frustration, he put Ubuntu 11.10 on it. now she has no problems using it, and he doesn't have to constantly keep updating and fixing her machine. She made the jump to Linux with almost no learning curve and ran with it. That's the point of Unity. Unity is "stupid easy", and for some people, it has to be. And there are FAR more of those people than Linux elites like yourself.

captainstormy
10-27-2011, 14:05
Unity is a great thing for the masses, and will help increase Linux market share. A friend of mine is a database admin, Masters in I.T., very computer savvy. However, he is the ONLY one in his family that is. His wife has almost no computer skills other than being able to use one, and he was tired of always having to repair her Windows laptop. Out of pure frustration, he put Ubuntu 11.10 on it. now she has no problems using it, and he doesn't have to constantly keep updating and fixing her machine. She made the jump to Linux with almost no learning curve and ran with it. That's the point of Unity. Unity is "stupid easy", and for some people, it has to be. And there are FAR more of those people than Linux elites like yourself.

I put Linux on my mother's PC for that reason. I put whatever the current version of Ubuntu was at the time running Gnome 2. She picked it up pretty quickly, I was actually surprised how wells he adapted to it.

Your right though, most people probably don't mind Unity. Its very mac like. Thats actually the first thing my fiancee said when she saw it (shes a big mac person).

trashcat
10-27-2011, 16:13

If I was a Fedora feller (I prefer Debian)... I'd use it. Debians LXDE version isn't to bad either, and Lubuntu(LXDE Ubuntu) is also pretty good.

I gave lxde a try but it was a bit to light weight for now. I'll give it another try when Fedora16 comes out. I haven't tried other distributions for several years we use rhel for all our linux servers at work and it's just easier to use the same variation on my laptop.

Chronos
10-27-2011, 19:45
Yea, thats why I say XFCE is a step back from Gnome 2, but a huge step up from Gnome 3.

Linus Torvalds recently said exactly the same thing, in a lambasting of Gnome 3.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-would-like-to-see-a-gnome-fork/9347

it’s not that I have rendering problems with gnome3 (although I do have those too), it’s that the user experience of Gnome3 even without rendering problems is unacceptable.

Why can’t I have shortcuts on my desktop? Why can’t I have the expose functionality? Wobbly windows? Why does anybody sane think that it’s a good idea to have that “go to the crazy ‘activities’” menu mode?

I used to be upset when gnome developers decided it was “too complicated” for the user to remap some mouse buttons. In gnome3, the developers have apparently decided that it’s “too complicated” to actually do real work on your desktop, and have decided to make it really annoying to do.

Here’s an example of “the crazy”: you want a new terminal window. So you go to “activities” and press the “terminal” thing that you’ve made part of your normal desktop thing (but why can’t I just have it on the desktop, instead of in that insane “activities” mode?). What happens? Nothing. It brings your existing terminal to the forefront.

That’s just crazy crap. Now I need to use Shift-Control-N in an old terminal to bring up a new one. Yeah, that’s a real user experience improvement. Sure.

I’m sure there are other ways, but that’s just an example of the kind of “head up the arse” behavior of gnome3. Seriously. I have been asking other developers about gnome3, they all think it’s crazy.

I’m using Xfce [a lightweight Unix/Linux desktop). I think it’s a step down from gnome2, but it’s a huge step up from gnome3. Really.

GIockGuy24
10-27-2011, 21:18
I've been reading a lot of good things about SalineOS for a while. I recently tried it and it's really slick.It's basically Debian Linux with XFCE. It's fast! The basic Debian kernel is more stripped down than even the Fedora kernel due to the way Debian interprets the Linux license. That does make it more difficult to get some hardware working but SalineOS solves those difficulties.

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2011, 04:39
I gave lxde a try but it was a bit to light weight for now. I'll give it another try when Fedora16 comes out. I haven't tried other distributions for several years we use rhel for all our linux servers at work and it's just easier to use the same variation on my laptop.

It was a bit of a difficult switch for me to, but after I saw Unity/Gnome 3... I knew my options were gonna be limited to either XFCE or LXDE, and I really wasn't to high on XFCE either(but as said, it was way better than Gnome 3/KDE/Unity), so I felt I needed to give LXDE a fair shake. I'm glad I did, I've grown to really really like it, and even if Gnome 2.x were still available (by far my favorite desktop environment), I'd probably still use LXDE.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2011, 05:16

The problem is, a GUI, is just that, a GUI. If you can't use a menu, do you really think you're going to be able to operate the Unity/Gnome 3 dashboard? I'd actually suggest that Unity/Gnome 3, is more difficult to pick up and learn, than a typical menu driven desktop environment (be it the old Gnome, XFCE, KDE, LXDE, etc.) Unity/Gnome 3, appeals to people who want crazy effects, etc, Yeah, that may attract new users to use them for a while, eventually they will realize all that "eye candy" comes at a price, and they'll try one of the other desktop environments, and realize what Linux is all about.

It's kinda like these people that for years strived to make Linux "look like" Windows. Just because it looks like another OS, under the hood, it is still Linux, and it's gonna still be a steep learning curve when switching from any other OS.

MySiK26
10-28-2011, 20:26
I've been using the latest Ubuntu, running it from a thumb drive on a friend's laptop. Can't wait to finish building my computer...