AR optic [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR optic

wolf19r
10-21-2011, 10:40
What would be a good AR optic. I was looking at the Nikon M223 s, Trijicon acog (way out of my budget) or that style, etc. Ideally something that does not look like it belongs on a hunting rifle. Any info or input is appreciated. Thanks.

BBJones
10-21-2011, 12:25
What would be a good AR optic. I was looking at the Nikon M223 s, Trijicon acog (way out of my budget) or that style, etc. Ideally something that does not look like it belongs on a hunting rifle. Any info or input is appreciated. Thanks.

What is your budget? Do you need a mount too? total budget? What magnification, fixed, variable?

Another poster just started a thread about Vortex Viper PST's. For the money you get alot with that scope. In a ADM, LaRue, or Bobro mount and you are set.

wolf19r
10-21-2011, 12:32
I'll look into that step up more. I was thinking $350 range with variable magnification.

Hedo1
10-21-2011, 12:40
Nikon 2-7 X Variable scope. Burriss rings. The combo will set you back about $200. Nikon makes great glass. The M-223 has more reticle features however.

M1A Shooter
10-21-2011, 14:10
i like my Millett DMS 1-4x in a burris PEPR mount. i got the combo from SWFA and with expedited shipping, it was less than $300 total. the PEPR mount now had a QD version that wasnt availible when i got mine. ive made plenty of good hits out to 400 with my setup before i free floated it. havent been since ive installed the new handguards.

ETA: here is the link to their current combo. http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-SWFA-SSALT-Combo-P42148.aspx
looks like they are now using their own Super Sniper mount.

surf
10-21-2011, 14:40
What type of shooting do you do? Why are you opposed to the "hunting rifle" optic.

conch27
10-21-2011, 21:36
I have the Nikon M223 and love it. the 1-4 is a great 3 gun scope.

Alaskapopo
10-21-2011, 21:47
I'll look into that step up more. I was thinking $350 range with variable magnification.

Try the Burris Tac 30 its a 1-4 power variable with an illuminated reticle that has a bullet drop calibrated for 62 grain 5.56 loads. Cost is $300 to $350.
Pat

TheBelly
10-21-2011, 21:49
As others have stated, it's very difficult to steer you into something you have a higher probability of liking if we don't know the intended purpose.

For the tactical side, I'd pick an ACOG, or an aimpoint if you want just a dot.

For the 3-gun type, I'd pick an Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.

If money were not a concern, I'd probably use a short dot or cqbss.

It all depends on price point and intended purpose.

Look through a LOT of different glass to find one that you like, then hustle and do what needs to be done to get it.

Alaskapopo
10-21-2011, 21:55
As others have stated, it's very difficult to steer you into something you have a higher probability of liking if we don't know the intended purpose.

For the tactical side, I'd pick an ACOG, or an aimpoint if you want just a dot.

For the 3-gun type, I'd pick an Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.

If money were not a concern, I'd probably use a short dot or cqbss.

It all depends on price point and intended purpose.

Look through a LOT of different glass to find one that you like, then hustle and do what needs to be done to get it.

For the tactical side I would say a Swarovski Z6i BRT 1-6x optic or a TA 11 or TA33 ACOG with a T1 Aimpoint in a off set mount or a S&B 1-4 Short Dot.
For three gun the Swarovski again.
If money is no object the Swarovski. I love mine.
Pat

wolf19r
10-23-2011, 21:48
At the local range I can currently use you can only bench rest rifles and I'm having a hard time seeing the target at any distance 20 to 100 yards. I'd like to get more out of the rifle and a friend recommended and optic. Ideally it would be able to be used at distance 20 to 100 yards and be able to be used for 3 gun type shooting.