Question for LEO's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for LEO's

Old Junes
10-21-2011, 13:41
Do you like it when folks refer to you as "Sir" or "M'am" when addressing you- particularly if they are the same age or younger?

Since I know that tone, body language and the like play a part in how we interpret what people say to us, for the sake of the question, you can assume that the tone isn't sarcastic and that the person doing the addressing is not being disingenuous in any way. Anyway, I always wondered if you thought that was respectful or condescending. Thanks for all you do.

DaBigBR
10-21-2011, 14:11
I guess I'm indifferent. Calling me "man", "dude", or whatever else in a respectful tone is preferred to calling me "sir" in a snide one.

nikerret
10-21-2011, 16:16
It is kind of strange having men my father's age refer to me as "sir", however, it is a sign of respect and I return it.

Actually, I don't mind what I get called a long as it is something nine out of ten random people of no particular demographic would find polite if said in front of a class of gradeschool children.

Patchman
10-21-2011, 17:24
I find it easier calling people "sir" or "ma'am." Or by their title if it's obvious what it is (Padre, rabbi, MD, professor, nurse, Trooper, Sergeant, Lieutenant, soldier, sailor, counselor, etc...) Even with co-workers I'll call them by their title: "Hey, Detective..." Hey Lieutenant, etc... Easier for me because then I don't have to remember their first names.

So, I prefer someone calling me by my title. This way I'll know they're addressing me.

collim1
10-21-2011, 18:12
If they are younger than me I prefer they call me Sir of Officer. If they are older than me anything that is not disrespectful is fine.

Looking at it the other way I dont call people that are considerably younger than me Sir, I usually address them by the first name on their license. I work in a college town, I dont call snotty, rich, zit faced 19yo's Sir.

I dont think that its unprofessional, but some disagree.

CAcop
10-21-2011, 18:25
I guess I'm indifferent. Calling me "man", "dude", or whatever else in a respectful tone is preferred to calling me "sir" in a snide one.

So true. Of course I work in a high surfer/skater to normal person area so "dude" is pretty common as a form of address.

Chico Bill
10-21-2011, 20:30

I agree. I don't get caught up with the "respect my authoritay!" stuff. I'm a fan of mutual respect.

Agent6-3/8
10-21-2011, 22:10
If they are younger than me I prefer they call me Sir of Officer. If they are older than me anything that is not disrespectful is fine.

Looking at it the other way I dont call people that are considerably younger than me Sir, I usually address them by the first name on their license. I work in a college town, I dont call snotty, rich, zit faced 19yo's Sir.

Same here. I'm not real picky as long as the person isn't being disrespectful.

It always struck me as a bit odd when people my father or grandfather's age call me sir. I very much appreciate the gesture and take it as a sign of respect for the work I'm doing.

dorkweed
10-22-2011, 07:03
I prefer they call me Sir of Officer.

You don't think that's a little over the top and self-aggrandizing? :rofl::tongueout:

merlynusn
10-22-2011, 09:51
I don't care as long as its respectful. I hate it when the thugs call me 'buddy'. But typically that's not the kind of interaction you are asking about.

I learned to get over the Sir thing in the military and I don't find it odd when an older person says it. I actually get it more from older people who respect our profession than the younger people.

Short answer: If the person is respectful, then it's all good.

Hack
10-22-2011, 10:14
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/51884/1275888-snake_super.jpg

You can call me snake.

Old Junes
10-22-2011, 11:28
Thanks gentleman. Some good perspective... I've been giving more thought to how I might address an LEO in the event that I am stopped since obtaining a CCP. Fortunately, I haven't had to do it yet :supergrin:

JBaird22
10-23-2011, 21:59
There is one guy in town that calls me buddy. We aren't friends and he has usually done something to find himself in a heap of trouble.

On the other hand, anytime someone addresses me in a non-rude or attempt at condescending way, I am good with it. I am even good with them calling me by my last name as it is clearly posted on my name tag.

Ajon412
10-23-2011, 22:15
I find it easier calling people "sir" or "ma'am." Or by their title if it's obvious what it is (Padre, rabbi, MD, professor, nurse, Trooper, Sergeant, Lieutenant, soldier, sailor, counselor, etc...) Even with co-workers I'll call them by their title: "Hey, Detective..." Hey Lieutenant, etc... Easier for me because then I don't have to remember their first names.

So, I prefer someone calling me by my title. This way I'll know they're addressing me.

Same here....I refer to everyone as "sir" or "ma'am", except if it's obvious that they're in their mid to late teens... I actually find that, these days, it actually throws people off and some don't know how to respond.

DaBigBR
10-23-2011, 22:16
You don't think that's a little over the top and self-aggrandizing? :rofl::tongueout:

Yes, yes he does. But he, like most of the reset of us, was constantly picked on and beat up in high school and have no other way to get our revenge on the world.

dorkweed
10-24-2011, 19:00
Yes, yes he does. But he, like most of the reset of us, was constantly picked on and beat up in high school and have no other way to get our revenge on the world.

So what you're saying then, is "classic Napolean" syndrome then???!!

You'd better get him professional help before "sir of officer" becomes "thank you sir, may I have another"!!!:rofl::rofl:

jpa
10-24-2011, 19:42

Mental note...don't ask collim1 if he wants a liter of cola.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8Ml-31e_tr4/TbBTLO2tQXI/AAAAAAAADJc/8nve9iOjHRc/s1600/Liter+of+Cola.jpg

rgregoryb
10-24-2011, 19:50
really didn't like "chief"

freeride88
10-25-2011, 17:21
I accept anything but "bro".

Hack
10-25-2011, 20:45

I admit, that one is a little annoying to me.

Jayman
10-26-2011, 08:53
I'm not a fan of "slim" or "moe." Like others have said, anything even mildly respectful is cool. I've also been called much worse than any of the above.

Kadetklapp
10-26-2011, 09:18
I don't care for bro or dude. Sir is fine....of course I don't appreciate it being said in a condescending tone.

If you call me "buddy" you better be my buddy.

Morris
10-26-2011, 10:02

I can say that if they refer to me as that, usually with "boss" as well, I have a pretty good clue as to their background . . .

Sir is fine. I say it all the time to others.