Glock .45 ACP - would like your thoughts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock .45 ACP - would like your thoughts

Kentguy
10-21-2011, 19:32
Last month, I purchased a Glock 21 (.45 ACP), for the purposes of reloading and target shooting. I was, just curious to see if any of you out there who own (or have owned) a Glock 21, 30 or 36, have done any mods to your pistol(s). If so, have you noticed any real benefits? Have you ever conducted a "before and after" experiment with factory ammo or your own reloads?
I generally keep my range pistols “stock”, but I do have some where a bit of “trigger work”, seems to help with the overall performance/accuracy, of my loads. I thought it might prove to be a good conversation item if we "compair notes" on this subject.
Thanks

norton
10-21-2011, 19:58
My 21 is bone stock.
Its not as pretty, or feels as good in my hand, but-
I shoot it better then my Colt 1911.

ron59
10-21-2011, 21:18
I have a G30SF with polished internals and a 3.5lb connector... same as my other guns.

I love it, have taken 3 third places in GSSF with it this year, that's $225 it's brought home for me. :)

AA#5
10-21-2011, 22:40
I have two Mod. 21's - one four years old & one eight or nine years old. The only modifications are night sights, NY 8-lb. trigger (installed by Glock) & Talon grips. (I'm used to a DA revolver & I shoot better & faster with the 8-lb. trigger.)

Since they're both range/house guns, I don't change anything that would affect functioning.

Maine1
10-22-2011, 01:27
The 21 was my EDC for 8 years, a 2nd gen gun i bought used. I LOVE it- best 45 i have ever shot, and we went through alot together.

I run a LWD barrell in it for any-ammo versitility. I reload alot of lead, and plated as well as jacketed, and did not want to fool with swapping barrels. The LWD barrel had some teething issues, but LW made it righ by throating the barrel to fit soem dummy rounds i sent, so now it eats everything i feed it. The only other thing i did was to put in a glock extended slide release. Dry firing half a million times smooths the trigger up.

talbot
10-22-2011, 01:43
I have one with +2 magazine extensions, night sights (mep/glock), and a 3.5 lb ghost ultimate connector. 15 rounds of .45 acp action, with a trigger that breaks like glass. I hardly use it though, I prefer my Sig Tac Ops 1911 traditional. Although I keep the glock around if I ever would need high rounds of .45 acp, which most likely will be never, but you never know.

unclebob
10-22-2011, 07:53
I have both the 21sf and 30sf. Sold both of the large frame in favor of the slim frame. Both have the Glock 3.5 connectors. Inside polish job, Dawson fiber optic adjustable sights. Have shot my friends G36 a couple of times, but do not care for it.

Beanie-Bean
10-22-2011, 10:15
I've got a G21 w/TruGlo TFO sights, and a G30SF w/Glock night sights. No other mods than that. They shoot just fine, and the G30SF with the 9-round magazine is part of my normal rotation. Before I picked up the 9-round magazines, the 10-round stock mags worked just fine. The extra 1/2" or so that the magazine extension provides makes it feel like I'm carrying my 19 or 23.

I'm thinking about getting some aftermarket barrels for both, so that I can run some lead though them instead of just shooting jacketed projectiles.

So far, these pistols, along with my 9X19 pistols, are my favorites at the range. Don't get me wrong--I like the others, but really favor these two calibers for extended shooting sessions at the range.

DoctaGlockta
10-22-2011, 11:33
I put a lighter trigger in one pistol but changed it back.

Tombo 65
10-22-2011, 19:01
Just got a gen3 21sf about a week ago. The trigger was rough compared to the trigger on my 23, and 37. It was pretty gritty, and it definitely affected accuracy. I polished the pertinent locations and installed a Ghost Tactical 5.5 trigger with the overtravel tab. The trigger is great, now, and the accuracy is better because it doesn't feel like there is sand in the gun. I then loaded some 225gr and 255gr hardcast lead bullets for it. The accuracy went up again with the lead bullets. I find .452 diam. lead bullets to be more accurate thru a glock barrel than .451 jacketed.

There are only two other mods I will do. One is getting heavier recoil springs and stainless recoil rod assembly so I can shoot heavier bullets frequently. The other is getting a 50 GI conversion kit. Silly, I know, but I have to try one.

sdelam
10-26-2011, 04:38
I have a g36 with a 3.5lb connector and a 25 cent trigger job. Most accurate gun i have at 10 meters. Although when switching from the AR during 2 gun matches, the first round from the glock seems to be a little (crotch) low. Big difference in trigger pulls i guess. :-) The judge keeps scoring that one as a miss but i like to think i imobleized him with a hip shot....

BK63
10-26-2011, 17:16
I have a G30 that I bought a Lone Wolf barrel for because I shoot it a LOT and wanted to safely shoot lead which is MUCH cheaper. Some on here will tell you they shoot lead out of their stock barrel and it's ok. To each his own but I just like to be safe. I shoot lots of lead out of the Lone Wolf. I love shooting this gun. Anything jacketed I use the stock barrel, and carry it with personal defense ammo and the stock barrel. I trust my life to this gun.

mj9mm
10-26-2011, 18:28
30 sf with night sights, love it as is!:wavey:

kostnerave
10-26-2011, 18:31
I have a g36 with a 3.5lb connector and a 25 cent trigger job. Most accurate gun i have at 10 meters. Run cast lead at the range and it is still a tack driver. Nice carry gun too.

RMD
10-26-2011, 18:45
All I did to my G30 was put some Meps yellow/green on it.

Fine shooter. Nightstand, carry, range. Does everything well.

freakshow10mm
10-26-2011, 22:08
Had a G30 for 5 years. Ran a KKM barrel in .45 and a KKM conversion barrel in 10mm. I stippled the grip and switched sights to Heinie Straight 8 night sights. Also the 3.5lb connector and a Wolff guide rod and spring (think it was 23# or 22# spring).

Would love to get a G30SF.

I loaded home cast 230gr TC with 6.0gr WSF. My carry load was a 200gr XTP with 9.5gr HS6. WSF and HS6 are my two favorite .45 ACP powders.

SPIN2010
10-26-2011, 22:23
Just out shooting my Gen4 G21 w/6" KKM barrel this afternoon getting warmed up to it. The gun shoots great so far. :supergrin: My fav round is the 230 HC RN w/6.0 of Unique, nice big puff of smoke out the end.

tac_driver
10-27-2011, 22:07
I've had my G21 since 07 some of the mods are:
dawson precision front site
heine slant pro rear site
rough texture decal grips
lonewolf barrel
extended slide stop
extended mag release
stainless steel captured guide rod
ismi flat coil recoil spring
reduced power striker spring
I polished all the internals
and i use mil-spec TW25B for lubrication
this gun eats any ammo
But prefers 200gr. LSWC go figure
and runs in any temperature 30 deg to 90+deg
I haven't shot it in a while and I am considering selling it
I shoot my colt gov combat a lot more.

gasboffer
10-28-2011, 15:31
I have a Glock 36 and carry it CCW every day. It's very accurate with the factory bbl and Bar-Sto bbl. However, it will not feed SWC, no how, no way!

njl
10-28-2011, 20:33
$0.25 trigger job and night sights...that's all my 21SF needed.

Kentguy
10-30-2011, 17:15
Thanks for sharing your mods & upgrades. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Last weekend (10/22/11), I tested out a group of my reloads for my G21, and compared them to Factory loads. For this test I have kept my .45 factory stock. <o:p></o:p>
I perform a velocity check. Then from a gun rest I check general accuracy, firing 5 shots per target, (10, 15, 20, 25yards). Finally I put my gun through a series of standing, sitting and moving, "free hand" type shooting, to get a better feel for the gun. <o:p></o:p>
Out of all of the 230g RN FMJ cartridges (both Factory & my reloads), all fired perfectly out of my Glock. The stock sights were adequate, but I think I may upgrade them. The stock recoil spring was more than enough for the bullet weight and charges I was tests, and the trigger was great for general target use. <o:p></o:p>
I am very pleased with the Glock 21, the loaded weight and handling of the weapon was very easy. It only took just a few rounds to get used to the firing and targeting of this gun, I feel this is a gun you can not only have a ton of fun with, but you can trust your life with it (God forbid) if ever you need to. <o:p></o:p>

TonyT
10-30-2011, 19:08
Last month, I purchased a Glock 21 (.45 ACP), for the purposes of reloading and target shooting. I was, just curious to see if any of you out there who own (or have owned) a Glock 21, 30 or 36, have done any mods to your pistol(s). If so, have you noticed any real benefits? Have you ever conducted a "before and after" experiment with factory ammo or your own reloads?
I generally keep my range pistols “stock”, but I do have some where a bit of “trigger work”, seems to help with the overall performance/accuracy, of my loads. I thought it might prove to be a good conversation item if we "compair notes" on this subject.
Thanks
I have carried and shot a G-36 - a relaible and accurate pistol. A friend shoots a G-21 which has also been very relaible. Both are stock.

21Glock
11-01-2011, 21:09
Thanks

I have a 21SF with a Lone Barrel, 6" and stock length. 22lb. and 24lb. ISMI recoil springs and stainless steel guide rod. I shoot regular .45 ACP ball type ammo reloads and my favorite big blaster, .45 SUPER reloads. They take the.45 ACP and make a whole other caliber out of it.
3.5 lb. connector and trigger over travel stop and my latest item a Pachmayr rubber Glock glove and last but not least a NcStart laser sight.
Can you tell I like my 21SF a little bit?

gary newport
11-05-2011, 00:57
G21SF: Vanek GSSF trigger kit, with the Vanek firing pin spring replaced with a stock Glock firing pin spring (for reliability); Glock steel rear sight and Ameriglo "lumisquare" front sight; Decal Grip rubber grips.

G30SF: Glock 4.5 lb. connector, "target" trigger face sanded smooth; Glock steel rear sight and Ameriglo "lumisquare" front sight.

G36: my most important "mod" to this pistol was to sell it!

Uncle Don
11-05-2011, 07:41
G21 and G36. Had both for several years and both are completely stock. Both are incredibly reliable and very accurate. I have a 1911 as well and while I like it, I am able to do better with the 21 and the 36 is close.

HarveyatPC
11-06-2011, 04:45
"I have a Glock 36 and carry it CCW every day. It's very accurate with the factory bbl and Bar-Sto bbl. However, it will not feed SWC, no how, no way!"

I only had the SWC problem with a Lonewolf bbl. Glock stock bbl worked well with any cast bullet. And I second the accuracy! :supergrin:

Harv

Smokecloud
11-06-2011, 15:01
G21 for two weeks now, several glocks on hand. Just put 5.0 gr of hp38 under HSM 230gr plated HP, nice soft shooting practice round. just swapped in trijicon night sights, put my extra set of g22 sights on because it was printing a little high. It still hits 1/4" high with the lower sight, but its good for 25 yards. swapped in 3.5lb connector and light polish. Next is to break down the sharp edged on the mag release button and eventually get a new recoil spring assembly, mine still passes tests, but they are cheap and I dont know how many rds on the current one, its a little weak. Shoot it a lot afterwards.