Running Gurus: Rest? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Running Gurus: Rest?

Agent6-3/8
10-22-2011, 09:08
How often and how long do you guys back off on running?

After pushing hard for about 3 months, I feel like my body is begining to rebel and I've really hit a "burnout phase". No aches or pains, my times are just getting slower and I'm really lacking motivation. Anyone else hit the burnout walls like thins when it comes to PT?

taco101
10-22-2011, 09:34
Yup. I have found that 3 weeks training hard followed by one week of recovery works well for me. Keeps me fresh and not overtrained.

merlynusn
10-22-2011, 09:36
yes. I've almost doubled my running and I'm hitting a wall right now. I used to want to do it but now I'm making myself do it.

I need to take a break for a week or so and/or just cut back my normal running a little.

Agent6-3/8
10-22-2011, 09:57
Yup. I have found that 3 weeks training hard followed by one week of recovery works well for me. Keeps me fresh and not overtrained.

Sounds good. I may give that a try!

yes. I've almost doubled my running and I'm hitting a wall right now. I used to want to do it but now I'm making myself do it.

I need to take a break for a week or so and/or just cut back my normal running a little.

Same here. For a period of about three weeks I made incredible gains and got my 2 mile time down to just a tick over 15 minutes. I plateaued for a week or so then actually began loosing time.

I definitely need a rest, but after a day or two I start feeling like a slug..

m2hmghb
10-22-2011, 10:36
Sounds good. I may give that a try!

Same here. For a period of about three weeks I made incredible gains and got my 2 mile time down to just a tick over 15 minutes. I plateaued for a week or so then actually began loosing time.

I definitely need a rest, but after a day or two I start feeling like a slug..

You might have hit your pattern there. One day on one day off. You could do 3 weeks on 1 off as well. Do what your body tells you, it's the most important factor in the equation.

Knute
10-22-2011, 12:03
You have to allow your body some rest. Using periodization, where you work up your volume and intensity followed by rest periods, will help you peak towards a specific goal (like what the others are saying).

Another good idea is to cross train with something like swimming, biking, etc. so it changes the scenery for you. There are tons of running programs out there if you look for them. Try checking out crossfit endurance, or Stew Smith. They have varying workouts that you may like.

Listen to your body. It will tell you when it needs a change from your current routine.

Tejasshooter
10-22-2011, 12:13
On the topic of running. I just got back on our Tactical team after six years off and I need a real good boot for running. Any sugestions? My issue Oakley's are killing me.

Knute
10-22-2011, 14:21
On the topic of running. I just got back on our Tactical team after six years off and I need a real good boot for running. Any sugestions? My issue Oakley's are killing me.

Why are you running in boots? If I were to choose a boot to run in, Oakley's would be the ones (based on what I have been told. I prefer typical lugged soles like Danners). I've not heard good things about the Under Armor boots for general wear.

steveksux
10-22-2011, 18:22
You have to allow your body some rest. Using periodization, where you work up your volume and intensity followed by rest periods, will help you peak towards a specific goal (like what the others are saying).

Another good idea is to cross train with something like swimming, biking, etc. so it changes the scenery for you. There are tons of running programs out there if you look for them. Try checking out crossfit endurance, or Stew Smith. They have varying workouts that you may like.

Listen to your body. It will tell you when it needs a change from your current routine.
+1000. THIS!!!!

Exercise does NOT make your body stronger, exercise breaks down your body and makes it weaker. That's not a typo. Exercise breaks your body down.

Rest between bouts of exercise is when your body heals that damage and rebuilds it stronger so that you can better withstand that same, or more stress the next time.

You need to take at LEAST 1 day off a week, alternate some easy days with your hard days. Increase the intensity/length of workouts for a couple of weeks, up to 3 or 4, then cut way back the next week, even cutting it in half to give your body a break. THEN start building up again after that easy week, so at the end of the next 2-4 week period you're at a higher level than you were at the end of the last period.

The fact you're slowing down and doing worse instead of better is an indication to do LESS work and MORE rest, not to redouble your efforts and work HARDER. You are overtraining and underresting.

You have an idea of how much you want to train, but your body is not ready for that yet. You have to train a bit to get into the shape that can handle the workout you're trying to do currently. That means cutting back a bit, and working back up gradually. You'll never get there continuing to pound away at the current workout. You can see yourself getting worse, not better.

I was having knee pain skating 100 miles a week, then started periodized training, and ended up handling up to 150 to almost 200 miles a week easily, in a surprisingly short amount of time, over that summer. I was recovering from ACL surgery the prior year, and working towards a 87 mile race in Athens - Atlanta, GA.

So any cops from Dekalb CO, Atlanta, Athens, and points in between, thanks for holding traffic for us. When you're trying to skate 87 miles in a day, stopping for lights and losing all that momentum really sucks... especially after you're going 25-30mph from a nice downhill section... and come up on a red light.

Randy

Agent6-3/8
10-22-2011, 21:28
You might have hit your pattern there. One day on one day off. You could do 3 weeks on 1 off as well. Do what your body tells you, it's the most important factor in the equation.

Yep, you're right on. I typically workout 6 days a week. Weights M-W-F. Running (along with pushups and situps) T-T-S. I take Sundays off completely. This has worked very well for me, but I think I need to back off on the running for a while. I think once I get settled in with another PD I'm going to get a bike and do mostly that for my cardio instead of running as its much easier on the joints.

Running is just plain hard for me. Once upon a time I was a lumbering, lanky bean pole. Now that I've put some mass on I feel like a big, lumbering pack mule. :supergrin:

Thanks for all the info guys! :wavey:

x_out86
10-23-2011, 12:07
The suggestions that have been given so far are good.

I would agree....3 weeks on 1 week off. During your week off do either some weight training or some yoga. I know yoga sounds goofy, but you will be surprised how much it helps your balance, muscle tone, and stamina. I know it made a believer out of me!

m2hmghb
10-23-2011, 12:21
The suggestions that have been given so far are good.

I would agree....3 weeks on 1 week off. During your week off do either some weight training or some yoga. I know yoga sounds goofy, but you will be surprised how much it helps your balance, muscle tone, and stamina. I know it made a believer out of me!

Don't forget it helps with stretching and flexibility. Some people it helps spiritually others it doesn't, what it does is up to the individual.

Cochese
10-23-2011, 18:17
Try getting a stress fracture. That has helped me. :rofl: